THR Layla's Recovery

@doughie0216
Thanks for your support Captain Obvious! (love that one, heard it on tv) couldn't you just play along with the "years" idea as I sit here on a Friday night nursing a big gash in my side and gimping around with my cane at age 60? I'm totally kidding, hope you realize that, if I can't find humor in all this I'll go crazy!!

I'm hoping my other hip won't need replacement as soon as yours did but who knows? My dad had both his done within five months time. My mom had one done 7 yrs ago, had arthritis in the other at the time and now at 80 it's beginning to bother her and she thinks she may need to have it replaced. My X-ray doesn't look too bad and I really have decent movement and only a very slight twinge on ocassion. I know there are instances where it can progress rapidly. I won't wait as long the second time as I did the first because I fear screwing up my knees or back if I do. I'm just going to hope I can go awhile yet. In a perfect world I'd love this one, and the next, to last my lifetime. Once is enough!
A great weekend to you!
 
Oh you are over the hill. I'll be 59 next month. I'm adopted so I don't have a family history. I know if I make it, I will have to have revisions in my late 70's to mid 80's.

My adoptive mom waited too late to have her knee replaced. Now she can't pass a stress test. Her mind is great for 88, but they won't chance anesthesia...

Personally I am glad to have had my hips replaced in my mid to late 50's. I have places I want to go, things I want to do. I know what arthritis pain does for you, and I don't care for it. It could rob you of a trip to see your grandaughter's fifth birthday which we have coming up at the end of August. I could have made it without surgery, but it would have taken a handful of pain pills. I much prefer to have my mind, not a buzz.

We have two teen-age grandsons, but teenage boys? Ick! They don't care if we show up of not, just send the money. Oh they love us and like to see us, but they are busy, you know, smart phones, girlfriends and all.

I will have a great weekend, you do too!
 
You're exactly right about not doing this again. Now that I'm feeling so much better, sounds like hey, no biggie. Worth it...yes. Easy...no.
We are all lucky brave souls, I think.
 
@Mojo333
Hi sweet Mojo,
I agree to a point. The "lucky" part anyway. I truthfully don't feel I'd EVER have the confidence to do both at once. I really don't. I think it takes tremendous courage and I'll always be amazed by all of you Bi-laterals.
Wishing you a wonderful week, continued strength, healing and all things good!
 
Hi @Layla
Pre-surgery my gait was more like a waddle I didn't bend and flex I just swung my legs out forward kind of straight. Since the surgery when I walk with my crutches I concentrate on squeezing my butt cheeks standing straight and flexing and walking Heel toe, i use the walker around the house usually only when I'm carrying something, with aids I do not limp at all, once I warm-up in the morning I walked pretty good, get a little gimpy in the afternoons but I'm trying to ditch the aids as much as possible, I know there are people who would say it is too soon. I got angry today got in my car and drove to the bank and home, later when my script was finally refilled… And they only gave me 20 pills, I got in my car and drove to the pharmacy. Feeling pretty good about that I know I'm not supposed to but I had no issues no weakness no pain so I figure it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. I am so looking forward to my appointment this Friday I think I'm pushing myself harder and harder so I can be strengthened to walk in there like a rock star LOL


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Don't cut yourself short, and don't build me up to much.
I didn't so much opt for bilateral, it was basically my only option.
And I was scared to death.
I remember thinking the day after surgery...I have literally not left myself a leg to stand on.
When they took my catheter out the morning after surgery and I realized I HAD to get up and walk to go pee... Cuz no way to get on bedpan with bilateral...I cried like a baby.
it's just as tough for me to think about rehabbing with one really bad hip honestly.
Different journeys... But all to the best destination. Hopefully a life without chronic hip pain.
 
@Mojo333
Yes, interesting I had no choice about the bilateral either, that is just what he suggested and offered me the option to do them three weeks apart. I did not understand how I could possibly stand up with not a good leg to stand on, I liked having the catheter out but knew I had to get up and go, One hip was better than the other so I called that my good leg. But yes talking about being scared to death, that was the most scared I have ever been in my whole life and I have been robbed at gunpoint twice it did not compare to it. But look at us now I think we're all doing good, definitely it is a personal journey but somehow it connects us all


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Layla The steaks were great. I cooked tonight as well. I told my wife, 'I'm back.' I'm not 100% but probably somewhere around 80.
I'll never lose the weight I put on since surgery if we keep eating fast food.
 
@gaulsuerou and @Mojo333
It is crazy what we're able to do so quickly after surgery. When I went to joint camp where they explain everything they said I'd be up walking the hall within 4 hrs after surgery.....I laughed.
I seriously thought that was the craziest thing I'd heard in awhile and that I'd never be able to do it. Well, I surprised myself as I walked down that hall (with walker) in my own clothes. Not even a hospital gown. They explained we'd be transferred to our room, in our own clothes, shortly after recovery. And sure enough there I was in my comfy sweats within a half day of surgery walking down the length of the hallway and back. Amazing!

I think the hardest part for me that day was to sit on the toilet for the first time. Something just freaked me out about lowering myself to that hard toilet for the first few times, hanging onto my walker for dear life!
Gotta laugh in hindsight!

I must have a strange sense of humor @gaulsuerou because when I read "one hip was better than the other so I called that my good leg" it makes me laugh hysterically! I have no doubt that on Friday you will walk into your appt like a rock star!

Cheers to us all!
 
@Layla
It's funny how different hospitals do it, I did not have a hip replacement class or joint camp or anything, met with the surgeon in PA a couple of times they handed me a pamphlet and I did my research on here, mine was more of a hospital situation stay, small hospital, rural area, but it is all amazing isn't it


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes it's a wild ride. Having your hip removed and replaced in a couple hours.then wake up stager down the hall, do some stairs, get dressed and your out of there. And double that for bilaterals.
Sounds like your doing well keep it up.
Bill
 
Whew.....First post op doctor visit and first PT today. Three weeks to the date since my surgery. Thankfully all went well. In all honesty I was a tad nervous. I hoped that all would look good on my x-ray and it did. I am cleared to drive. But the best thing is I can ditch the TED'S and the inflatable cuffs!!!! Did you hear my Yahoo in Georgia and Vermont @Mojo333 and @gaulsuerou? I screamed it extra LOUD so you could hear!

Only concern is I have some swelling on my operative leg, mainly behind my knee. It just feels really full when / if I bend it. He didn't seem concerned because he asked if it hurts, which it doesn't. He poked and prodded around pretty agressively too. It is bruised all around the area, fading now a bit so he thinks it will just gradually dissipate. He said if it's not improving within 10 days, or worsens, to call and set up MRI to rule out blood clot. Can you even believe it after the way I whined on here about being tethered to those darned cuffs? I'm sure it will be fine.....at least I hope. Other than that...... I can't complain. Life is good!
 
So glad your visit with surgeon went well, I think I did hear someone screaming, must've been you LOL. Congrats on being relieved of all your restrictions especially those damn socks. Hope you're swelling on your knee gets better. The only swelling I have is just below the incisions around the tops of my legs, maybe I'm just getting fat from sitting around. I never had any bruising, I think anterior is definitely the way to go for me anyway. I rested all day today felt like a mess, my appointment is in a few more days and I want to walk in there fit as a fiddle , wishing you continued healing and I hope the thing with your knee turns out to be nothing


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I hear you. Pretty pictures of your new hip I bet.
Don't like that you are having some swelling. Just watch it close.
3 weeks and you are doing amazing. Well done.
 
@Layla Glad you had a good check-up! And goodbye TED hose:yes!:
I actually had swelling down around my right after this surgery. Fortunately it was just gravity pulling the fluid down. Some aggressive icing and elevation cleared it up. Hopefully that is all it is with you.
It is fun when we realize that there has been improvement.
Captain Obvious says that improvement can only be seen through hindsight:umm:
 
@Layla awesome Dr visit. It's great your ok to drive again. Yes freedom!
I think dougie is right about iceing and elevateing for that swelling. Up till now I've been regularly iceing and it's kept the swelling down. Now just those zingers but they aren't bad.
 
Great report at the drs. I agree that icing and elevating (toes above the nose I think they say) may very well help the swelling. Congrats on getting cleared to drive. I know that was a big thing you were hoping for. It takes a while before you can spend much time walking around a store but even a few minutes shopping with no pain is wonderful!
 
Hurray for a positive doctor's appointment! Better yet, congrats on ditching the ted hose. Those might be one of the worst things about recovery. It sounds like you are doing well. Be gentle with yourself, it does get better day by day.
Hugs,
Michele
 
@cpollock
Hi Cheryl, you mentioned something about working on your incision. What exactly is it that you do? I feel like it's bumpy, or rigid, in the area of my incision..... I just noticed it today. They did pull off the tape at my 3 week doctor visit two days ago so my scar is exposed and closed....but bumpy! I don't like looking at it for some reason, makes me squeamish which I don't understand after having kids changing dirty diapers cleaning up cuts, scrapes and all else for many years. I must be getting weird in my old age, lol!
 
@Layla Actually, including today, it will be two days off in a row.

My incision is still bumpy too. I am using Palmer's cocoa butter with vitamin E. The physical therapist recommended it. My wife also uses it at night. During the daytime she uses a silicon based ointment. It helps mask the scar if it is in a visible location. Since I don't do Speedos, no one is going to see my scar:rotfl:

Sometimes the bumps are caused by the internal stitches working their way to the surface. I was told today that is normal. They poked all over my incision at the clinic and said it looked good.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom