Guest viewing is limited

THR Layla's Recovery

There don't have to be roses where you walk. I walk because it gives me freedom, and also it is a period of time when I can have the illusion of control over something.
 
Hi @cpollock
Sometimes it feels time is passing slowly and other times I can't believe I'm coming up on 4 weeks in a mere 3 days! Do you feel that way too? You are 8 days ahead of me. I'm hoping that at 3 months post op I'm walking straighter, taller, without a cane. I know it will come. I walk around the house without it now but I'm kind of waddling which is what I did pre-op. My husband constantly reminds me to get my cane so I walk normal, and I do, when I use it. Just impatient I guess as I want to lose it, not use it, haha!

I hope all is well with you and that you are enjoying the weekend. Is it as hot where you live as it is in most of the states? I don't like to wish time away but this year I am for selfish reasons. I love Fall, am longing for cooler days and all the beauty that comes with that season. I'm also hoping that things will have fallen more into place with recovery by then.
Continued healing to you.....
 
Yes @Layla I feel the same way with time too. I want the recovery to go faster sand some days I'm impatient. Then I need to stop and look how far I have come. And that nasty preoperative bone on bone is gone. That's huge. And I'm like you, I hobble too without a cane but do feel a little improvement each day.
The weather here is hot, we are in a heat wave. We may get a break for a day on Monday and maybe some rain. Then it's right back to hot again.
I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @MyAussieGirl
Ok, fine, I'll only wish for Fall in my neighborhood......but only for YOU!
Sending a hug and hope you have a good sleep!
 
@MyAussieGirl
So cute, love seeing those, they always remind me of you!
I need to check those out, they make a person smile!
 
@Layla so glad you got out a bit yesterday... definitely helps to see something green and growing. Hoping the blues have passed...

Also appreciate the advice about the incision @Mojo333 @GrannyC . I still have the steri-strips... they're loosening up (FINALLY!) and I'm thinking a bit of gentle massage with coconut oil will feel really nice once the strips fall off.

Going to be a bit cooler in southeast PA today- but the wretched humidity continues. Wishing everyone a lovely Sunday.
 
It certainly does help to get out. When I was a few weeks post op and still recuperating at my sisters in the country, there were steps to the patio I wasn't allowed to go down unless someone was with me. Everybody worked during the week. I had to stay on porch and peer around corners. Thankfully they have a beautiful pond and hummingbird feeders but I still felt stuck! Hope you have great day.
 
Ok then...I only wish for the season between summer and winter comprising in the northern hemisphere usually the months of September, October and November or as reckoned astronomically extending from the September equinox to the December solstice...that's all.....just that!

Hahaha! @Mojo333 Have a fabulously, beautiful Sunday!
 
That first week after my surgery there was a PT that came to my house 3 different times. She didn't push any PT but rather showed me how to do things and made suggestions about exercises or stretches I could do. She touched bases with my OS office to ask about switching from walker to cane and then when I could ditch cane. She said I could stop using the cane when I could walk with a good gait and no limping without it. Do you think you still sort of waddle from habit or does it hurt when you walk without the cane? If it doesn't hurt, I wonder if you could really concentrate on walking correctly heel to toe when not using the cane if that would work? You might check at PT about when you can ditch the cane or give a call to your OS office.

I, too, like @Mojo333 and @MyAussieGirl am enjoying summer. I love fall, too, but that also means winter and all that bad weather is right around the corner so I am in no rush for fall to arrive. Hot here in northern NY is low to mid 80's so nothing like Mojo's Georgia weather in the 90's. Do you have a porch so you can sit outside or are there sidewalks so you can go for a walk during the day from your house? We live out a bit so no sidewalks. A few times earlier on I walked around the outside of the house a few times just to get outside plus get a little walking in. The last few weeks my husbands back has been bothering him so he hasn't wanted to walk. I don't like going off somewhere and walking alone in one of the parks and I don't like walking on edge of road from the house so I have been using recumbent stationary bike a couple times a week. It's not the same as walking but at least it is moving.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and the beautiful summer weather :heehee:
 
Hi @GrannyC
Yes....I think you're right, I think it's habit because it's the same gait I was sportin' pre surgery! I've wondered if that's what they refer to as muscle memory? It doesn't hurt when I walk so it has to be habit. I really need to concentrate on that and talk to the PT about it tomorrow. I limped for about 18 months pre surgery, less time than some, more than others. I didn't use any aids but definitely had a noticeable limp.

I like Summer also when it's not too hot. I despise humidity as much as SNOW! July and August in the Upper Mid-West are normally pretty hot and we see a lot of high humidity too. Today is supposed to be a little cooler, around 80, with low a dew point, so I will be spending some time outdoors.

We do have a front porch which the sun hits early morning. Just had a cup of coffee out there!

I agree with you on walking alone in parks etc. The place my husband and I found yesterday was beautiful and I'll go back, but not alone. Couldn't run now to save my life should I need to, ha! I could walk the streets in my neighborhood, but haven't yet. While the streets are paved there are no sidewalks. There is a speed limit in the community though so no one is driving around recklessly in here.

Thanks for your insight on my gait. It's something I really need to concentrate on.
I hope you have a nice Sunday!
 
You are so lucky to be walking pain free at only one month post op! I am at 7 weeks and still can't walk pain free. I do find that when I walk very S-L-O-W-L-Y and concentrate on form rather than distance or speed, that helps. But still I find this recovery thing very frustrating. I just want to feel NORMAL again!
 
Aww, I surely understand @gwenc
I keep reading from those who are ahead of us that it's a process and we all arrive at our destination in different ways and different time frames. Can be frustrating for sure. I guess we just need to keep our eye on the prize.
Continued healing to you and a beautiful Sunday.!
 
I am the same @Layla and struggling with my gait. Each day I notice a slight improvement. Self talk does help by saying heal toe when walking. I limp without an aid so I'm not ready to go without quite yet. We will get there. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
I have been working on my gait as I tend to drop one shoulder also when standing and walking..it is habit and the fact that my posture got so bad for these last few years that standing up straight does cause aches and pains as those muscles have to straighten it and strengthen.
 
I'm in the same boat and @Layla . It takes all my concentration to walk properly... I can do it, but only very briefly. It doesn't hurt at first, but the muscles rebel very quickly... and I immediately worry that I'm pushing too far too fast. It's so awkward and trying not to limp means working around the perceived LLD. It's better than it was, which gives me hope that it will continue to get smaller and will eventually disappear, but sometimes it's hard to keep the faith. Sending prayers and positive vibes to you... we can do this, small low steps at a time.

BTW, I can't imagine recovering from bilateral @Mojo333 ! You are a stud woman.
 
Thanks. I do feel rather super human. Pretty daunting actually.
Easy to say now but I was not quite sure for the first 3 weeks if I was brave or stupid. Lol...I was an emotional wreck...Walker, potty chair, blubbering.
It will get better soon...just need to remember our bodies have alot to come back from.
 
Back
Top Bottom