THR Horsey Girl's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to my post op exam with my surgeon today. Actually I saw his helper who is much more talkative and open to questions. Anyway, he was very happy with my progress.:thumb: He lifted the weight restrictions, told me to just stop if I have any pain. I have to keep the pressure stocking on for another two weeks. :hissyfit:
Says, also in two weeks I should be able to drive again. :dancy:
He was going to have me go to the PT on an outpatient basis, but due to were I live the PT will come to my house for another two weeks until I hopefully can drive again. There is no way I can find enough people who will come and take me two to three times a week to the PT. My son got stuck on our way to my home this afternoon. The winter arrived with a vengence. My neighbor was nice enough to come and take me home. Wouldn't want to hike, especially in deep snow up a hill until my doctor says I am ready.

Anyway, things are looking up. He says about the different leg lenght to keep doing what the PT told me. As long as my back pain is gone not to worry.

About riding my horses, I am thinking on waiting for 12 weeks, just to be sure that I am ok.That will get me into April which is just perfect timing. If the doctor says ok will try in the house on the saddle stand first. Will have to get a shot into my right hip first anyway.
Actually the PT says when sitting on a horse that the spreading of the leg will push the hip more into the sucket instead of popping out. He said like Josephine says, that I would have to be more careful when getting on or off.
I will have to see if I may start to get onto the Horse from the right side instead the left. Well, will see.

My next appointment is in four weeks. The way he talked may have all restrictions lifted then. :yes 4:

Bea
 
Bea, I'm so glad you got good news! That must make you feel that you are headed in the right direction.

My surgeon says to wait 12 weeks before riding. He's pretty liberal, so I believe him when he says this.

Good times are ahead!!!

Dorothy
 
Yes Rider, only a couple more days for you. You will be so relieved once it's over. What a change it was for me when loosing the stress of the upcoming surgery.
I agree with you to wait for 12 weeks to ride. I prefer to wait than mess something up. I talked with my PT today and one of the next couple of weeks while he still comes to my house we will bring my saddle on a heavy duty stand into my livingroom and we will talk about what are the more safer ways of getting on and off.

I thought in March, since I won't be ready to ride, I still can work with my horses, especially Cody, my mustang. Just catching him and brushing him will be good for both of us. :doggieshmooze:

Have a good weekend. Rest up,so you will be in good shape for your surgery.

Bea
 
Hi everyone,
Well today it has been three weeks since my surgery. I didn't think it would hit me as I am usually an upbeat person. The downer after three to four weeks got me with a vengence. I was reading a horsey book and couldn't stop the water running down my cheeks, so went outside but only can walk on my covered porch as we had more snow last night. At least I have my trusted Newfie mix, Ricky, with me. He is such a sweetheart.
Wish I could get to the barn to hug my horses, but it is just too icy outside.
Saw my arab sunning himself earlier.
Well, things will get better. I am getting off the Hydrocodon also which probably does not help. Went down to one pill every seven to eight hours and took my last one at 3:00 AM yesterday morning. So far Aleve has been working ok. I have also Tylenol handy if I need it.
Gues the downer comes as I am feeling better but not good enough to drive and get out. I am normally very seldom home and always busy. Now, can't even go for a walk if I want to.
Tried to do some work, but my brain is not working up to par yet. As you can see from my writing. My sitting bone is also hurting after an hours sitting, so can't do too much work yet. My work is easy only on the computer. Thought it would keep my mind busy. Am trying to walk only with one crutch here in the house. Working pretty good so far.
Have actually a lot of pictures from my last vacation in the computer to sort out yet, but there goes the sitting again. Maybe do it for a few minutes every couple of hours. That should keep my mind ocupied.
Thanks for listening, It will get better. I think tomorrow I will keep all three of my dogs in the house for company. :doggieshmooze:
Bea
 
It will get better, Bea. And, you're right that the prescription pain meds can contribute to those "blues" also. Hang in there...better days are coming!!! Spring will be especially sweet for you this year.
 
I can just imagine how the whirlwind of the past 3 weeks can just kind of catch up with you all the sudden and the reality of this recovery taking a longer time than you want it to really taking it's toll on you emotionally and mentally. I'm sure I'll be in the same boat after my surgery; I'm not a very patient person when it comes to this disability stuff.

Being winter makes it even worse for you, I'm sure. I've been thinking the same thing and I'm sure being cooped up in the house when you are used to being outside taking care of your horses, running errands, and doing other more active things can really get you down. I swear I will be the same way! I think horse people (and other outdoorsey active people) are particularly affected by this.

All I can do is say I understand (best that I can without actually being in your shoes yet) and will be going down the same road soon ... one more day for me and then surgery Wednesday and on to recovery. And, I bet I will have my share of the "post op blues" too ... mark my words, you are not alone.

I'm so glad your PT will help you with figuring out the best way to mount and work with you with your saddle on a rack before actual riding begins. That should give you a feeling of "I really WILL be able to do this again!!" I will warn you, though, that a friend of mine who lives for riding who had a hip replacement mid August wasn't able to comfortably spread her legs as far apart as necessary to sit in the saddle until about the 4 month mark. But, after that, she seemed to improve this way dramatically, was doing very well and rode New Year's Day and said the hip didn't bother her at all! She rode a little bit prior to that but was having trouble with her shoulder, so that was slowing her down moreso than her hip.

You will get there ... keep the faith!

Dorothy
 
Bea, you are at your first recovery plateau. I remember at almost a month out feeling the same. All the excitement of just being out of surgery has died. Now you are in the work phase.

Take heart - you will continue to get better and better. This lack of mobility is only temporary. As you gain strength and stamina you will begin to realise how wonderful life is free of pain.

Not long now! Hang in there!
 
Bea, I feel for you - we are dealing with the ice and snow also. It is hard to not be able to do the things we love to do but remember this too shall pass! Sending warm thoughts your way!
Judy
 
Morning Bea,

That is very normal the post blues! I think everyone I know on here has gone through those days of tears, emotions....I went though a very very mushy phase. You have gone through tons. It's not just the post op it's the years of before the surgery everything comes to an end as you start to recover and it's all very overwhelming. The great news these moods don't tend to stay to long and you will see daily you will get stronger and stronger!

LOVE your PT person, what a kind and practical thing to do in showing you easy ways to get on and off your horse. I was really lucky with my PT she really customized my recovery we always focused on "real day" things and she would also show me first how to do things correctly. This makes everything so much nicer!

I feel for you, along with Judy with the weather that's got to icky! Good excuse to snuggle into cozy PJs and watch lots of brainless smut television sorry earlier joke!! Hold tight it will get better very soon!

Lots of love,

Sarah
 
Thanks everyone, boy was I weepy yesterday. I do feel a lot better today. I think it also could have been getting off the hydrocodon. Also right after I got out of the hospital all my riding and hiking friends came over with food and visited for a while. Which I greatly appreciated it, but now I am alone most of the time. My grandson is back in college plus he is working, so he is mostly gone. I understand not everyone wanting to come by all the time. We all live quite far apart and they have their busy lifes like I had (and will have again).
Once I can drive again, I will be able to meet with friends again.

Oh well, life is looking up again. My PT wants to show me next time how to get into and out of my car safely. Hopefully end of next week I can drive again. :yes 4: I can then go to town to the health club and walk.They have a track there.

Thanks Bea
 
Hiya Bea, been having a bout of the weepies myself lately. These are very emotional times and yes, the drugs do play a part in how we feel as well. Are you sure you're not in more pain than you realize? Just be aware as coming off the drugs can make you more weepy if you are feeling more pain, too.

You know, spring is just around the corner. The days are getting brighter and longer, and February, the shortest month, is almost here! Once we get through February, I say winter is over!

Hang in there Bea, you are doing really well. You know, sometimes you have to ask for a little help. Why not call a few of those friends that came by initially. They probably just think you are back to normal as unless someone has had a replacement surgery, they are clueless.

I know I would be happy to help out a friend, and obviously you have very willing friends as they were there in the beginning. Funny, this just brought me back to when I had my last baby, same thing actually.

Everyone showed up with food, etc., in the beginning, and then I was all alone! Found out later, they didn't want to call and "bother" me as they thought they'd be disturbing me or the baby! Boy, were they wrong!

I was lonely, had post partem blues, and nobody was around! Finally, someone called me and I just sobbed! Well, you know the rest of the story, they started all over again, calling, dropping by, they just didn't know!

So call someone, ask for a little help if you need it. They would probably be thrilled to do anything for you, no matter how little.

Hang in there Bea, you will get through this :friends:..
 
Bea - ^ what they all said! I would also add - call a friend or two or three - particularly ones from your riding group and ask them to a- visit and b- walk your horses up to the house for a visit - if you can't go to them, perhaps some one can bring them to you - I bet they miss you just as much as you miss them! It would be good for all of you to see each other and get in some lovies

I got the blues for a day or two myself - being house bound was getting really old and dull, weather was rotten, everyone I knew was busy about their own lives, I wasn't cleared to drive, and still had low energy and not much stamina. That was a couple of weeks ago - I'm telling you IT DOES GET BETTER!!! The meds contribute to this as does the post op healing being done, the wishing to get back to usual activities faster than you feel you're progress - AND lack of sunshine for those of us who live in northern climes - any time you see sun peeking through the clouds get outside and let it shine down on you head for as long as you can - even if you're just standing on your walk or front porch or where ever you have.
 
Bea you are never alone in this. Your BoneSmart friend are always here for you! Sounds like you will be out and about soon though. Please keep us updated!
 
Boy do I understand feeling alone, I beginning its my biggest battle. The operation i can deal with but the long days when no one shows up :hairpulling: I want to thank you for sharing your picture of your horse, it brings such pleasent memories back from childhood. Do take care and do remember we are always here. take and if you horse like to have a rub the behind the ears please give one for me. Tashia :doggieshmooze::yes 4::flowerysmile::
 
Great idea Deb!! :thumb:

Just think Bea very soon you will be doing all the things you love to do but unlike before it will be pain FREE! I know recovery feels like ages but please remember this is a small step in the whole scheme of things for your freedom. Once you get over this hump it will barely be a flicker in the long run and you wont look back!

Patience my dear, listen to your body and you will be on your way to great happiness.
 
Bea,

One observation I've made over the years on recovery.

First, you can't compare day to day. Too many variables and I just can't do today what I did yesterday...that's fine. ( i will admit it bothers me...but I need to fight that urge) I need to make mental (or written) notes on how far I could bend or how easy it was to lift or whatever. And then I need to look at that progression week after week or month after month. Some of these items are not going to move much month to month, but they slowly move and that should be celebrated.

And then I need to stop and PROACTIVELY think about the gains I've made. I need to make sure that I don't sweep the minor progress undr the rug and dismiss it. Progress is progress and that is a good thing.

And eventually we arrive at a place we want to be...but it takes time.

Hang in there...we understand.

Z
 
Thanks everyone.
I have not posted for a couple of days as I tried to do some work. Can only sit for a while before my sitting bone starts to hurt even with a pillow under me. Finding that work is not to good yet as my energy level is not up to par. I only work on the computer or do phone calls. So easy stuff. I brought all my files home with me and setup my dining room as an office.

The PT came by yesterday and he watched me get in and out of my car and said I can drive anytime I feel like. That means if the road in front of my house is ice free I can drive to the road and start to walk there. Have not been able to get to the road due to ice on my driveway. I also could drive to the barn and talk to my horses. Have been keeping all three of my dogs in the house with me which helps with companionship so much.
Tomorrow I will drive the first time with my grandson, to see how it feels before I go out on my own.
My pain is almost gone. Am taking a couple of Tylenol and that is it. I am done with my shots of Lovenox into my belly which really bothered me doing. Have attempted to sleep on my operated side, but no go. It hurts or actually is very uncomfortable.
Am going to take out a saddle onto a stand in my livingroom this weekend and also I have a stand for my bike. Actually my grandson is going ot do it. So, next week my PT can show me to sit on the saddle and maybe how to use the bike safely.
Keeping busy sure helps.
It melted a bit yesterday, but not enough for clearing all of my driveway. So I walked maybe 50 feet away from the house until the ice started and returned. Today it is not supposed to go above freezing, so will see.
I am going to have to rest my sitting bone now.
Bea :doggieshmooze:
 
My pain is almost gone. Am taking a couple of Tylenol and that is it.
No it's not! :wink1:
[Bonesmart.org] Horsey Girl's Recovery

Can only sit for a while before my sitting bone starts to hurt even with a pillow under me.
This is not just your sitting, it's post-op pain. You're only three weeks so could do with upping your pain meds a bit. When you say 'a couple of Tylenol' how often is that? And is it regular or extra strength? Maybe make sure you take this about half an hour before you start work.
Finding that work is not to good yet as my energy level is not up to par.
That's going to be the case for some time yet
Energy Drain for THRs
 
Thanks Josephine
I take two 500 mg Tylenol about every six to eight hours. I don't hurt when I walk or do my exercises, it is only a bit tight yet around the incision area. Now that I am off the blood thinner I can also take ibuprofin if I need to.
I am so excited to drive my car tomorrow. Probably won't be too far yet. Even to the road and a bit of a walk outside would be awesome. My grandson will be with me the first time. :hapydancsmil::hapydancsmil:
Bea
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom