THR Horsey Girl's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bea,

Glad you are doing well. The stiffness sitting your desk-table does take a while to get easier. I find if I get up every 20-30 minutes to stretch and walk around it helps really! My first couple of weeks back to work were brutal. Now much easier going to 9 weeks post operation. I also cheat and sit on bed during the day, thanks goodness for wireless laptops and iPads :)

Have fun driving and be careful with the ice.

xxooxx
 
Horsey Girl, How are you doing? Getting stiff comes with the recovery, I find that herb wraps help if you have a place to heat them. Take care:doggieshmooze::yes 4::flowerysmile:
 
Thanks Josephine, I did start to take also the ibuprofen.
I drove yesterday into town with my grandson at my side. We went to a supermarket. I walked in but than sat down while my grandson got some lottery tickets (we didn't win).
It was great to get out. I also have made it yesterday and today to my road and walked a bit on it. I could feel that I did more but the pain pills are working ok. I even went into the barn today. The ice has melted enough the last couple of days, so there was a clear path. I hugged my arab. It was great to be close to him. I have had him for 27 years now.
If the weather holds and I can keep going into the barn I will start feeding them on two nights a week when my grandson won't be home until late at night as he has evening classes at college. It will be easier for the horses to be fed on time.
The world is looking up. It is good to have something to look forward to and keep busy. I am not so tired all the time anymore which really helps. Still get sapped easy though which I guess will be for awhile. But, things are looking up. :yay:
Bea :doggieshmooze:
 
Bea, I remember some of your first posts about how worried you were that you would never be able to care for your horses. So glad you got to hug your arab! I'll bet he was delighted to see you too!
 
Horsey girl, So glad to hear you got to get to take care of your horses. They are such great animals. Good to hear you got to drive also this weekend, doesn't it feel great. Do be careful and don't make the same the same mistake i did and that did too much and had trouble with the pain pills taking care of the pain. I can't take ibuprofen because I;m allergic to them big time so I so glad they are working on you. Be careful walking with ice, lucky here in California I don't have to think about it. Keep us posted on you success and your horses. Tashia:doggieshmooze::yes 4:
 
Thanks Tashia.
Yes it is great to be able to do some of my normal life stuff. It really has been melting here but my pasture etc is still covered in snow and or ice where the horses have been walking. I always worry when it gets this icey out there that they fall and hurt themselves. I have a friend who lost her horse last winter when he slipped and fell on the ice and landed on his belly. Not much one can do about stuff like that.
Well, I worked for about five hours on the computer here at home today. Took lots of breaks and walked around and also went outside. Getting my brain back into work mode. Actually I am going to retire for sure end of March. Already told my boss. I retired first time in 2006 but they kept calling me back.

So, this summer will be all mine with a new hip to enjoy riding and hiking and working around my place. I hope my right hip will behave. I feel twinges here and there. Going to have a talk with that one. :hysterical:
Bea
 
Bea, tell that hip that it better behave and at least let you have the summer for fun! Great to read that you're getting back to caring for your horses. :thumb:
 
Horsey Girl, This summer retirement :wow2: and with a new replacement. When you ride your horses remember your buddies on this site, but before you get on make sure your body is ready for the ride. :friends: Tashia:yes 4:
 
Horsey Girl, How are you doing? Haven't heard from for a while. I hope that the snow hasn't gotten you snowed in. How are are the horses? And most important how are coming along with recover? Hope to hear from you soon.:doggieshmooze:Tashia:yes 4:
 
Hi Tashia
Thanks for asking how I am doing. Have not been in the forum for a couple of days. I did work my 19 hours this past week and that was about all the sitting by the computer my body wanted to do. Since I am going to stop working end of next month I am trying to get all my hours (which is max 19) for the week in.
I have driven a couple of times, but doing grocery shopping is still a hastle with the crutches. I have been trying to get off the crutches, but no go yet. In the house I am ok with one crutch, but when I go outside I still use two.
The doctor said I can put as much weight on my leg as long as I have no pain. Maybe in a week or so I can let them go. :biggrin:
I have to make an appointment with my PT as I am supposed to go outpatient now. Tried to sit on my horses saddle which is on a stand in my livingroom. Not yet. As I can not put my full weight on my left leg, I could not get onto the saddle yet. I'll try again in a couple of weeks.
How are you doing Tashia? Are you getting more out? I hope you are feeling slowly like normal again. It sure takes a long time. Patience is all we need. Lots of it. :loll::loll:
Take care
Bea
 
Easy does it! You'll be back in that saddle before you know it Horseygirl. Please don't risk any damage to that new hip trying to rush things. It will all happen when your body is healed and ready.
 
Horsey Girl, Great to hear from you. It is great to get out and back into the world. Do be careful with getting on the saddles. Last you want is have a set back. Are you able to walk your horses yet? I know it ruff when you have snow on the ground and the ice. Keep up the good work and give a hug from me to your horses. They are such great animals. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Still thinking of you. Glad to here you're ok and moving and getting out.
Least you had a couple of days of Sun the last few here in Washington State where great.
 
Horsey Girl,
Good to hear that you are doing and getting out. Keep up the good work. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Horsey Girl, Are you still getting out and doing ok,:doggieshmooze:tashia:flowerysmile:
 
Tashia, thanks for the post. I again have not been much in the forum. My work really keeps me busy and that is about all I can do with sitting. It is getting better though.
I did go for my six week check up and my surgeon lifted all the restrictions. He said that I should wait another six weeks before I attempt to ride my horses. I would not be able right now to get onto them anyway, as I still can not put all of my weight onto my leg without limping.
I did graduate to a cane which is so much nicer than dragging the long crutch everywhere. I hope to get rid of the cane soon. The last time at the PT he really massaged the side of my hip and afterwards I was able to walk without pain or limp without a cane. It was a great feeling. He also had me walk on a treadmill with a large mirror in front, so I could see myself and made sure I would not limp.
The next morning the limp was back.:sigh: I went to the health club yesterday and did the bike and treadmill and then walked on their track for awhile. I am paying for it today. So, took a couple of Advil.
It is so far to get into town for me, so I guess, I over did it. I just need to make myself drive into town more often to use the bike and track there. The last couple of days we had snow and or rain that froze, so have not been able to walk on the road by my house. This morning it was so icy that I took my car to the barn to feed the horses.
I am trying to clean my arab's feet now. It is getting better every day. First I had to keep my leg behind me so not to break the 90 degree rule.
Now this rule is lifted. :yes 4: So, it will get easier to do. Have not tried to clean my Mustang's feet by myself yet, as he is so much bigger and moves around more. He has better feet than my arab, so it is not as important. I want to start brushing them too, if just the snow and ice would go away. Soon :yay:, can't wait.
My improvements leveled off so much, but patience is the name of the game. Attempting to put my pants on now, no socks yet, still using the helper.
One of these days will have to cut my toenails again. I am able to put cream onto my left leg down to the ankle, but not further yet.
I am going to a saddle and tack sale today to see if I can find a light Aussie saddle for my mustang. His regular saddle is over 30 pounds and I don't know how I am going to get that one onto him as he is over 16 hands tall.
My short arab has a light saddle (go figure).
Talked to my surgeon about my right hip, which I can feel a lot now that I am using it more. Will get a shot into it end of March. Hopefully it will help. If I get that one done he will be able to level me off again. He said my left leg is 8mm longer. Can't say I am shrinking with age :loll:but getting taller.
Bea
 
Bea, I share your desire to get back to the horse stuff again--I have that big time. As with everything with this surgery, it will come in baby steps.

I'm glad you are making great progress!

Dorothy
 
I have a question???
I am still limping when I try to walk without a cane. Is that normal after seven weeks? Ok, I know, nothing is normal. I am so ready to just walk again.
Have been doing all my exercises religiously since surgery. The last couple of days it has been snowing again but have been going into town every day to walk on the track at the health club. Using the stationary bike there too. Plus I walk at home if the road is not icy. Getting maybe close to1/2 mile in each time at home 2 to 3 timesa day.

I would really love to go to the Bloomsday race early May in Spokane Washington. I try to go every year and hate to miss it. It's a 12k race and I only walk.
I do have a stairstepper and nordic track at home. Would they help? Have not tried them yet as all the restrictions were just lifted last week.
Any ideas anyone???? :hairpulling::feedback:
Thanks Bea
 
Hi Bea, I am 13 weeks out from my 2nd THR and I still have a limp. After my 1st it took me about 7 months before the limp went. Yes, as we all know everyone is different and I have "heard" it can take 6 mo. to a year for things to resolve completely, so hang in there, it will come. For me the muscles are not quite strong enough yet. Take care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom