THR Horsey Girl's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't worry about the leg length just now. Most hippies feel this just post-op. It can take 3-4 months for things to settle. Muscles that have atrophied from limping around pre-op will strengthen.
 
Thanks everyone
The PT showed me how to walk correctly today. heel, sole, toe.
He gave me also a couple more exercises that he said I was ready for.
Am doing leg lifts now but only an inch or so so far.
I am feeling it tonight. :sigh: So icing it a lot today. My grandson got me another Roxycodon prescription today. I still had enough, but did not want to run out this weekend. Oh, that would not be good. I am set.:dancy:

Lots of patience is necessary for us.
Bea
 
I called mine in as well. Better be safe than sorry. Some of the exorsices seem so easy for but those leg lifts are difficult. The Light at the end is faint still but you and I can see it.
 
Yes, I am surprised at how my pain level is today. Has been pretty good so far. After doing the new exercises for a couple of days now, I am looking forward to the time that I can take my pain pills. :sigh:The PT is coming by tomorrow again, so will talk to him if I should back off a bit. New mussels behind the incision are really hurting. The incicion itself looks good. Didn't have any staples so no pulling.
I think I also need to rotate more the places that I sit and/or lie down at. Maybe that will help. I have been getting up and walking regular which really feels good.

Oh well, things will get better. It'd been only ten days. Next Thursday is my check up with the surgeon. No riding horses yet. :loll:
How are you doing Goatram with having another surgery scheduled so soon?

Bea
 
Bea, sounds like you might want to back off from some of the exercises. You are very early out of surgery. No sense in making things hurt!

Are you still taking your pain meds as prescribed? Icing after PT? Please don't be afraid to push back with your PT person.
 
I am thinking I will be fine like Keven when I get my second one done next month. Pain is being controlled with one pill every 5 hours or so. I take my last one at 10 and head off to sleep and It(PAIN) wakes me up at 7am. Yesterday I found I can climb the stairs easy and take a nap upstairs in the bed. My couch is way to small for my 6'3" body. So either the easy chair or the bed is for me.

Take it easy if it hurts. Do less reps of each till you build the muscles up that you did not know you had.
 
Horsey Girl's, I just came by to see how you are doing? Remember to keep that pain un control so you can recover. As for me I should be talking, I really have problems with pain pills and many times don't take them soon enough. Please don't do what i do. You pay for it believe me. Everytime i come to your sight, it makes me feel at home. When I was a child i rode as much as I could because it fun and for me a feeling of being free with wind blowing in my face gave me a feeling of peace. The one thing I would like to do is ride a horse on the beach. I believe that everyone comes into ones life for a reason and maybe you came into remind me of my dream. Thank You.
Do take care and don't overdue the exercises. I do know they are important but be careful not to hurt yourself. Ater I have exerscise I take a hot shower and then have a apple or banana to feed my body. Oh don't forget to have water also. With pain pills drinking water is very important because it moves thru the body and does i think help with pain. Just my opion. I sound more like a mom don't I. I'm not I just care that all of us get a smooth recovery and be able to have many good laughs and lot fun in life.:doggieshmooze::flowerysmile::happy dance:
 
. The one thing I would like to do is ride a horse on the beach. I believe that everyone comes into ones life for a reason and maybe you came into remind me of my dream. Thank You.

What a lovely thing to say Tashia! Thank you for sharing your dreams!
 
Thanks Tashia
Yes, riding horses is so relaxing. I have never ridden on a beach but do ride usually in the hiils.
When my PT came by on Friday we figured out why I was in more pain. My operated leg is a bit longer right now and when I walked my hip was twisting.
I ended up with big pain that I hardly could walk and sit. It is in my back (not the back bone) right above my behind. So I tried out different shoes and insoles until my legs were more even. I also changed to crutches.
Anyway, I do feel better now and the pain is more under control again.
This week I will see my surgeon and hopefully he can give me some sggestion on what to do.
I started to do my exercises again and all seems to be ok but I do stop when my back starts to hurt. Hopefully my muscles will get stronger back there.

Well, if this is the only set back, I will be ok.:yes 4::snork:
 
Horsey girl.....the feeling that one leg is longer than the other is quite common. You feel that way because your hip is tilted from years of accommodating your bad joint.

You have surgery and...zap!....everything is put back into proper alignment instantly. Your body doesn't readjust that fast. In fact, it can take months to completely resolve that pelvic tilt. So...please don't use lifts or different shoes. You will only delay this part of your healing.

Remember that you are only a few weeks out from surgery. If you're having pain, treat the pain with whatever pain medication works, rest and ice/elevation. You still should be doing a LOT of that!
 
Hi Jamie,
How long does one typically wait to explore using a lift? My LLD feels a bit better than it did last week and the week before but is still driving me nuts. Horsey girl, I can relate to lower back pain and even a new kind of pain in the other hip that feels related to the current discrepancy. I've been measuring what feels "right" by putting magazines under the "shorter" leg, and it is changing for the better slowly but surely.
 
almost, you should wait 3-4 months before doing anything about the leg length. Most people experience this disappearing in that time. If it doesn't - then you need to have a professional measure the difference. But for now - let things settle.
 
I am ok again. My hips had been straight prior to surgery and I was able to walk without any pain (most of the time).
Last week I could see in the mirror when both feet were flat on the ground that I was very twisted. I ended up with great pain when resting, standing or walking. Anyway I changed for one thing to crutches which I Iike better. I iced my back and massaged it with cream and rested and iced it for a day.

Now, I am wearing two different kind of sandals with maybe only 1/8 inch difference in heights. What a difference. I am very careful in watching on not putting more than recommended weight onto the operated leg and when I stand that I put my operated (longer) leg forward, so I don't twist my hip again. The pain is gone, except a twinge whenever I put my feet next to each other. The PT says to wait and see and hopefully the different lenghts will give itself.
At least I can walk fine again and can do my exercises which stopped dead from the pain I was in. That's all I need, a bad back. I am sure I have some arthritis in it and that is why it acted up so fast. Will see what the surgon says this week.

Anyway, I am ok again. Walked with the PT to my barn yesterday for the first time. My arab came over and I was able to pad him. That made my day.

My surgeon changed my pain meds from Oxycodon to Hydrocodon. First day I am on that. Hopefully it will work fine. Did sleep for the first time seven hours the night before.
The world is looking up. :yahoo:

Bea
 
I'm so glad you got to walk to the barn!!!! I bet it was great to take in that horsey smell and feel their soft coat. That will be a big highlight for me, although I won't be able to do it until the snow is gone. I've already been told no walking in snow or mud for the first 6 weeks.

I'm glad you were able to figure out the reason for the increased pain. Sounds like your PT is quite knowledgable about this stuff. That's a big help.

You ARE doing well and things are progressing along. As each of us recovers, I think each horse person on this board should post a picture of ourselves on our horse finally being able to ride without hip pain. Most horse people are so addicted to horses that this is our passion--what we live for and the part of life we miss the most when our mobility is taken from us. We need to celebrate when we get it back!

Keep up the good work (and be sure to rest, too)!

Dorothy
 
The world is looking up. I feel it as well. Yesterday we had the first snow of the season only a inch. Today another 7 inches dumped down on top with a another storm this night into Wednesday morning. Spent Sunday night hooking up the Snowplow and Chains to the Ford 8N. this morning had to get it running with a propane weed burner warming the Oil Pan of the engine otherwise the old tractor will not start. Had a neighborhood boy use it to plow the 2 miles of road. I have been know to spend 4 hours from 1 am to 5am plowing the roads while it is still snowing having fun. Farm boy or girl it is all about the seat time on the tractor.

Take care of yourself soon you will be ready to resume your old lifestyle. The world is really looking up:doggieshmooze::yay:
 
Wow, you are doing great goatram. I am not even thinking of using my tractor this winter as it has a clutch.
We also had snow last night and all day today. The wind has really been blowing. Supposed to get a lot more tomorrow, so no more going outside for awhile. We really have not had much of a winter so far here in the Northwest. We really do need the moisture, or next summer will be very dry. But you are right, the world is getting a bit more normal every day.

Rider, what a great idea of us horse people to show our first picture back on our trusted steed without pain. Can't wait to ride again and hopefully feel better. I will have to get a shot into my right hip though as that one was also not very much fun to live with. I think as soon as I feel better and it is ok with the doctor, I will try to sit on the saddle while on a saddle stand and see how it feels to get on and off.
Not much longer to wait Rider.
Bea
 
Hi Jamie,
How long does one typically wait to explore using a lift? My LLD feels a bit better than it did last week and the week before but is still driving me nuts.
It can take 10 months or more for the pelvis to realign. If the LLD is already feeling better, then try not to let it drive you nuts as you are already on the road to betterness! :wink1:
 
Bea, make sure you get your PT and/or surgeon's blessing before you sit in the saddle. It might mess something up ... and you certainly don't want that to happen. A horse person friend of mine had her hip replaced in August, and it was about 3 and a half months before she felt comfortable enough to spread the leg far enough to sit on the saddle or the horse, even though she felt comfortable walking well before then. She is doing fine with it now, but she had to really work on getting the leg to spread out far enough for the horse.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you are with the right hip. It's not as bad as the left, but it still was a big problem when I tried riding during the summer. Not only was it almost impossible to lift that leg over the saddle cantle and horse's butt, it felt like someone had hold of both feet and were pulling them in opposite directions. I might be OK walking around doing my basic shopping, cleaning, and stuff like that with only the left replaced now, but I think the right will still cause enough pain that I won't be able to ride or do any additional walking or hiking for fun and exercise. So, I'm leaning towards getting the right hip replaced soon before it has a chance to get worse. If I can't ride, I'm not going to be happy. It's already been almost 2 years since I've been able to ride. WAAAAAYY too long!

And, we horse nuts need to get our cameras ready for when we do finally get to ride! :-) :-)

Dorothy
 
Riding won't mess anything up! The very worst you could do it dislocate your hip mounting and dismounting but even then, it's very unlikely. But you'll not harm the implants or loosening them or anything like that. There are heaps of people gone back to riding with THRs. One chap we had last year is even showing again, jumping, dressage, the lot!
Eight months post THR and riding competitively again!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom