Guest viewing is limited

THR Horsey Girl's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bea
I still limp as well. The PT Said I roll my right hip even when I try walk properly for her. I still have pain in the left hip from the Surgery as well as the right hip talking to me.
 
Thanks goatram
My right hip has been bothering me more too. So many of the exercies for my operated hip asks for me standing on my right foot.
The last time I saw the PT he put a tall mirror in front of the treadmill so I could see myself limp. It did help. I think my muscles are just not very happy with me yet for having the surgeon mess with them. :hissyfit:
Thanks
Bea :dancy:
 
I have a question???
I am still limping when I try to walk without a cane. Is that normal after seven weeks?
Any ideas anyone???? :hairpulling::feedback:
Thanks Bea
I have not had a THR YET, but I have had 3 Hip ostetotomies which are way worst as far as trauma and healing and recovery. What I can say about limps with hip surgery, is you have to keep in mind that while you were letting your body and hip recover from surgery, you lost a lot of those core and main muscles you use every day for walking and running. I remember after being non-weight bearing for 2 months I had a limp for about 3.5 months post op. It was about 3 months for the other 2 surgeries.

A total hip replacement is a huge surgery my dear. You have to lowly rebuild all those muscles you had before, not to mention now that you have a healthy joint, you have to relearn proper walking, posture etc which takes time to get back, but you WILL get it back. Be patient, go work with your horses, and you'll get back in top shape very quickly.
 
Bea,
I wobbled for about 3 months post-op....many of us do....my PT reccommended watching my shadow when I walked outdoors, it's a good way to monitor the penguin waddle:) As soon as I noticed I was wobbling, I would try to walk straight! Don't worry, you are doing well for so soon! It will get better:)
Dee
 
....my PT reccommended watching my shadow when I walked outdoors, it's a good way to monitor the penguin waddle:) As soon as I noticed I was wobbling, I would try to walk straight! Don't worry, you are doing well for so soon! It will get better:)
Dee
What a great way to explain the limp! :snork: couldn't be more perfect.
 
Yes, you all are right. I guess this patience thing is just not my thing.
Am on a slowdown in my healing process which started to worry me.

I had a broken ankle the end of September 2010 and was non-weight bearing for eight weeks due to the type of break it was. Didn't really start walking until January 2011 again. I was able to go on a 150 mile hike (Camino de Santiago) in Spain by May 2011. BUT, it was not my best hike ever. Was in a lot of pain and very slow. But again, I did it. :yes 4:
This THR did a lot more to my body than a broken ankle.

Patience, patience, patience, I am talking myself into it. :rolleyespink: :hissyfit:

Thanks everyone for reminding me that it is going to be ok.
Bea
 
Bea, it's pretty typical to still have a limp at your stage of recovery, so try not to worry. What's great is that you have walked without a lmp, even if you weren't able to keep it up. So, you won't have any trouble losing that limp once the strength in those muscles improves.

Can I make a couple of suggestions anyway? Do you listen to music when you walk? That's a really easy way to train your legs to move at the same speed. When you limp, one leg is moving faster than the other. That's why you want to learn not to do that. If you listen to music, your legs will try to stay on the beat, so they will move at the same speed all by themselves.

When you walk on the treadmill at the gym, hold the handrails and notice what is happening with your shoulders. They should be pointing straight forward and not moving around too much. So, try to notice what that feels like it and remember it as you go about your day.

You already know how to walk without a limp. These are just some tricks to remind your body how to do it.
 
Hi Bea, a bit more patience is needed I am afraid. Yes you will get rid of the limp. But you need to build up the muscles first. If you are still limping there is still a weakness there. Use your cane to prevent you limping. Build your confidence using it and only leave it if you are not limping. Part of this is breaking old habits.

Nordic track and stair stepper are fine since your restrictions have been lifted. But most important - start with no resistance and don't overdo. 5 minutes and build up gradually.

Practice the heel, toe walking making sure each step is right. Treadmills can help with this. You'll get there!
 
Horsey girl Have been very busy and have a few minutes to see how people are doing. I do hope you are not overdoing it , and the reason I say this is because i find its so easy to do it without realizing it. do take care .:doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
The good news is that the worst part is over-the surgery! something PT always told me, is make sure you walk only when you know you can have a few good, straight steps. She said you want to make sure you walk as straight as possible to build all the right muscles.
 
Thanks everyone. Couldn't answer until today. My computer was broken. The cable guy just came and fixed it.
alexthecat, I will try the music. Don't have an i-pod to take with me while walking but can do it in the house. The way the weather has been here in the NW, not much outside anyway. Just saw the sun a bit. :yes 4:

Supposed to snow this weekend again and down in the teens at night. Spring has to be around the corner, I know it.:thumb:
Thanks
Bea
 
Horsey girl, before you know it will be March and you will be off and running. In the meantime you can get yourself in shape and take care of those wonderful horses. Also I believe you also have dogs? I really miss having a dog. Hope to be able to get one soon but I too have to wait for what I want. So we will get strong together. Be careful with ice and snow. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
It's been snowing here all day and very windy. So have not been able to get out to walk. The roads are also very icy so didn't even go into town to the club for exercising. Well maybe tomorrow it's better to get into town at least.

I read a whole book today. Which is very unusual for me.
TV watching is getting old.
My dogs are ready for running outside too. They are all large ones.
Started to use my stair-stepper in the house which helps (I hope). :scratch:
Bea
 
Sorry your are a bit house bound Bea. Icy road are serious stuff for new hippies. Please do take care if you venture out. May order yourself some ice walkers online?
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Horsey Girl's Recovery
    yaktrax.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 139
Bea,

Is your "stair stepper" one of those exercise machines for simulating climbing stairs? Sounds like a good (but exhausting) low impact workout. I can imagine you getting some seriously strong quads with all those UPstairs without the DOWN.

But I am a fan of movement and exercising that strengthnes al those supporting muscles...as long as we don't over do it.

As with all new things...start a bit slower (and less) than you might've anticipated...It is easier to do more the next time, then undo 5 minutes of something that you should not have done!!

Z
 
Before my surgery I bought a pair of the Yac Trax (not sure of the spelling) boot gripper thingy's that are on Jacey's post above. They work great and made me able to walk around here on days that I wouldn't have dared otherwise. I was very afraid of falling, but with these on my boots I don't slip at all. I haven't had them on super slick ice, but they've done fine on a few icy patches I've found near the barn.

The only problem I've encountered more recently is that the heavy, wet snow sticks to the metal and balls up underneath. I might try spraying a little cooking oil spray on the bottom and see if that prevents it. I remember doing that with horse's hooves and it worked. I'm going out to the barn in a while and I'll let you know if it worked; we have some of that wet "packable" snow on the ground.

I ordered mine on Amazon for less than $20. They fit right over my muck boots and have a strap that keeps them on better than the ones that don't have a strap.
 
I also agree with Z about taking it easy with the stair stepper. I'm not even walking up stairs normally yet (foot over foot step). I do it the step-catch-up kind of way that I did before the hip replacement. I just don't feel like my hip is strong enough yet and I'm not going to risk weakening what I'm trying to build with some stairs.

My surgeon gave me a handout with many exercise suggestions. Several machines are listed--treadmill, bicycle, and eliptical--but not the stair stepper, nor does he recommending climbing actual stairs for exercise. He's a kind of "go-go-go" agressive type of surgeon with his rehab protocol, so the fact that the stair stepper and stairs in general aren't on his list makes me think that even he may think it's too much at this stage.

Be careful. I know what it's like to be feeling great ... and then do too much and be set back on my butt pretty quickly--and then feeling awful, and I wouldn't want this to happen to you.

Dorothy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom