Guest viewing is limited

THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Thank Mojo...... on the whole things are ok, just given myself a few setbacks and I am definitely learning patience. I will probably fire up the computer next week and get some work done that has been piling up. Unfortunately my “cover” can’t do it and if I leave it until The date I am due back there will be trouble... at least I will know how long I can sit at a computer for in small doses prior to going back to work and ‘‘tis May help with my Occ Health interview too. Driving is the unknown quantity at present...
 
Update:
My GP gave me some more codeine so taking one in the morning and one in the evening.

Positives
Sleep quality good. I can sleep on non op side with pillow between legs so alternating this with sleeping on my back. Only waking up once now between 4-5 am but then sleep until 8-9am so averaging 7 hours. Continuing to ice at night. No pain when lying down.

Leg still feels strong and sometimes can walk around the home unaided.

Walking movement with one crutch feels natural and back nice and straight.

Can get up from chairs and bed without using arms just relying on legs. I do this as an excercise but not to excess.

Negatives
Frustration at not being able to do better. Met the wife of a friend in the pub yesterday (I didn’t know her) who works at a local private hospital and was “snootily surprised” that I was still on crutches. I did gently point out that my oS also worked at her hospital too as well as the NHS one. If only she knew how hard I was working mentally and physically to get better. Grrrgh!

Still some tightness and pain across upper part of scar going from top of thigh around into buttock. Starting walking again and gentle exercises but thinking of cancelling this weeks PT unless it is just massage.

Sorry this is a long post!
 
I too am dealing with “snootily surprised” folks who comment on my “lack” of progress...but I promise you, I could not push any harder than I am pushing as well.

This thing you have been doing is really, really hard. Please try to appreciate how far you have come — and try to note that by the time it is 2019, the memory of this time will have faded...you will be planning and living so many pain-free adventures!
 
Your body will be your guide.
I totally agree with lovesstars.
And the nurse...she hasn't had hip replacement right?
Hope this is a good week.
 
Thanks! It is a lovely day today so going to to a bit of work on my computer, have some lunch and then go out for a gentle walk.

I did take that woman’s comments with a pinch of salt but it was still hurtful!

Looking at flights for my next holiday but wondering about booking through BA due to their recent issues. My timeshare place has a hot tub on the balcony that I practically lived in last year!
 
You can come my way and have a hurricane party with me:shrug:
You are doing just fine...don't know why people say things the way they say them...
So many folks commented... "Both at Once?" Pre and Post Op AND the tone in their voices had me thinking I must be an idiot or crazy.
Now that I'm pretty much through the storm...I deny the first and affirm the second.:whistle:
 
People can be so rude. Why do people make comments
that may hurt someone, or cause them to question their recovery? Plain old rudeness and ignorance.
You should have accidentally jabbed her with your crutch :wink:
Not too hard, just a little oopsie jab :heehee: Think Diana and Fergie with their umbrellas, lol. Remember that?
Hope today is great!
@SurreyGirl
 
Thank! As it was a production meeting for the next show I could not say anything but it was noted! Watching Hurricane Isaac at the moment as due near my favourite island :-(… Hope that Florence has a miracle move and decides to go very north but it does not look too likely right now… Hurricane parties - oh yes, stock up on candles, black cake and rum and Spam ;-)
 
PS currently at computer alternating between work email, Facebook and bonesmart.. Restricting my time on here to 2 hours in 1/2 hour blocks to see how I get on. Not supposed to be working until 27th September but if I don't do it work piles up and then no-one comes on our courses and my job is at risk so I have no alternative… Having discovered life "part time" am very tempted to see if I can go for this in the New Year. Life is too short to continue the 9 - to whatever slog!
A bit better today - started to do some of my side and back step exercises to swing music - but very carefully - it cheers me up. Also walking without crutches at home much better today.. Thanks for all the support everyone!
 
For any older Hippies reading this, Finella Fielding the Actress has just died.

She did a wonderful recording of ski exercises which is hilarious and very much of its time.

Her husky voice was amazing. She also starred as a Vamp in “”carry on Screaming”



Barbara xx
Top tip for Hippies:

DO NOT TRY THIS!

@Apricot @Layla @JoeKnows @Mojo333

Surrey Girl xx
 
Oh yeah!:)

And good on you for contemplating part-time if you can.
By New Years you will be feeling so good you will want to get out and do some hip pain free fun stuff...
I think you are doing great for not even two months out...
Hope today is sweet!:friends:
 
So a question for experirnced people here.
Does anyone know the magic formula between enough water to rehydrate v the “ruthless pressure on the bladder moment”?

I'm only about partway through this thread, but had to respond to this from page 8 or 9 - over the last couple days, I've realized that I'm incredibly lucky (a) to have a wife with the forethought to snag a bedside urinal from the hospital, and (b) to be appropriately equipped for the use of said bedside urinal. I wish it was bigger (the urinal I mean, get your mind out of the gutter), but this convenience is #75638 on the list of reasons I am grateful for my Y chromosome.
 
Just so you know it does get better. I think I was rather wary for about 2 weeks and after that was fine!
 
Just finished reading through, thanks for sharing your experience and humor @SurreyGirl.

On the "snootily surprised" comments, one of my coworkers said (in an e-mail from his vacation condo) that he was surprised I would be out for more than a few days. I responded by calmly and rationally explaining that my own three week estimate was incredibly optimistic, and I may be out eight weeks... in retrospect, I should have replied, "I'm surprised you would say something so stupid."
 
Just ask him when his scheduled Lobotomy is and how long he will be expected to be off work….

Love the fact your co-worker was sending the email from his Condo!!
 
Hope today is a good day, my hippy pal.
:ok:
 
Morning - total confusion but in a good way. Slept really well in a combination of on my non op sidecand my back. Woke up at 9:30am and thought it was Saturday. Hubby has just taken delivery of some truffles so I demanded a September weekend treat of Truffle Scrambled Eggs. b looked rather confused but complied. . “yum! I love September Saturdays!” I declared between mouthfuls of yummy truffle. He then reminded me that “It was a Friday and I therefore had a whole 24 hours extra in my life!”

Ooops!

Nice slightly sunny day today. Catching up briefly in work stuff and will then do a walk. I tend to alternate between physio exercises one day and walking the other. Tried not taking Codeine this morning to see if I can get down to one a night only...

If anyone is reading this I have a question. I am steadily losing 1lb a week at the moment but would like to slightly increase this. Has anyone had success losing weight after an op when exercise is limited? Thanks and have a great day!

So I do realise the irony of the first and last paragraphs here!
 
I think a pound a week is plenty and a healthy amount and amazing.
Your body needs that protein from the eggs...and your spirit needs the truffles!
 
Back
Top Bottom