Guest viewing is limited

THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Thanks everyone.

Tagging @Josephine now. I feel like I am calling international rescue! I will wait for the famous chart and the questions.... :-)

Not sure whether to go for another sick note or whether to just start work on Thursday as planned but from home. I am coming up to my 10th week pre-op. If they are iffy about that then will get another note but don’t really want to do that. I work in my own and things are starting to pile up as I don’t have full cover for some of the stuff I do. Will talk to work today. Fighting that “feeling down in the dumps” moment. Need to walk and get some fresh air to get over it and start on the vitamin D.

Josephine thanks for your comments re the shoulder shots. That is awful. Our poor NHS really is falling apart at the seams!

One question not on your list? Is it safe to get a flu shot? I normally do at this time of year. Thanks...
 
Hi, SurreyGirl,

I’m glad to hear you are slowing getting better but sad to hear you are worried about work. Since you are not officially cleared, try and get another note until you feel better. I would continue the work from home routine as much as you can to show your employer that you are trying your best considering your wellbeing. I would think another doctor note is your guide and a slow phased in return to work should be made known to your employer. I would hope they have a heart and some compassion for your health.
It’s good to hear you are planning your holiday already and that is the best thing for your soul besides keeping the faith and doing the best you can. Good luck and I’m praying for you...
 
Thanks @Wave Hog . I sent you a PM to explain my paranoia about work! I will carry on my my limited working from home unofficially. It starts with answering emails in bed and then about one hour on the computer in an armchair if and when I have too!

Wavesurfer - do you are a Surfer? Aiming to get back to it? I wonder if falling off following hip replacement is an issue. I sail hobiecats and occasionally fall off at a great height...
 
Hi Bickypeg .
She could but the work is starting to mount up now and I would feel better about tackling some of it. I wrote to HR and copied in my boss this morning but no reply so will go to plan A to do some work from home starting Thursday. It should be ok but if not will get a note from my GP.

I went for a 1/4 mile walk today and am icing now as still have a problem. Very frustrating because I was doing ok. But I know in the long term things will be fine so focusing on that!
 
Last edited:
Yes, SurreyGirl, I love to surf and used to sail those hobiecats too and they can cause pain but sure are fun. My days of charging the Bonzai Pipeline or Teahupo’o are over for sure but would just like to get out and ride a few gentle waves like Waikiki and teach my daughter the ways of the ocean.

I suppose the biggest fear would be falling or taking a direct hit to the hip with the rail or edge of the board. I would think falling off a bicycle would be more scary unless the surf was really up in which case it would be better to stay on the beach. I’m glad you have enjoyed sailing those Hobiecats. It all started where we live here in South Orange County. Hobie Alter’s father kicked him out of the house in Laguna Beach for making such a huge mess shaping surfboards. Later, he started the Hobiecat company in neighboring Dana Point.

A few weeks ago I took Josephine’s advice and dumped the PT and just started walking. I felt great for about a week but the right hip is really acting up now. I had my 6 week follow-up with the OS last week and all looks good. He wrote me an order for outside PT and will schedule an appointment soon.

My replaced hip has come a long way starting at about the fourth week. There is almost no pain at night and not much during the day unless I walk more than a mile. The bad hip is now inflamed and causing all sorts of pain and stiffness in the lower back and right buttock. I felt great until I started walking so now will try to go back to work and perhaps give the outside PT a try on the left hip.

I really ODIC this past weekend and spent most of Saturday on my feet from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM cooking BBQ for 200 parishioners at our annual fundraiser. Man o man that was a mistake. To add insult to injury I made a side of hot smoked salmon and fresh tomato salad from our Garden for my uncle’s 82 B-day party the next day.

Come Monday morning, yesterday, I couldn’t even walk without the walker and have general pain all over and swollen feet. Back to rest, ice, and elevation all day. Today, Tuesday, I feel a bit better but in no shape to go to work or even anywhere. So, this is how I’m spending my 7 week post-op anniversary in the ODIC ward resting, icing, and elevating. I wish somebody could just bring me a sandwich...
 
@Layla I haven’t bothered Josephine yet as wanted to hear what my surgeon says on Monday.
You didn't see my post then?
pain is much less and just some tightness in the same area which is concentrated right at the top of the sacral area around the corner into the bottom of my buttock. Massaging around this area with E45 cream after a nice hot shower helps.
Well yes, here it comes!

[Bonesmart.org] Hopefully Hippy Recovery


and then see what the consultant says on Monday and Occ Health on Wednesday re a phased return.
Mind you have him apply that!



He wrote me an order for outside PT
@Wave Hog Don't do it!
Come Monday morning, yesterday, I couldn’t even walk without the walker and have general pain all over and swollen feet.
I never took your other, unoperated hip into consideration I'm afraid. My bad!
 
Thanks! left Hip Posterior, long scar! Date 26th July 2018.

@Josephine
L2FV, L1FV ,L2VW, l3BS, L2VT,L2Bv, L1BW (that last is the worst one). the whole area feels a bit swollen. I do get some intermittent groin pain but that stops when I ice.

Also the feeling of burning at the top of the scar and pulling although the scar itself seems to be healing well.

No swollen ankles or numbness there.

Re PT, had been doing this On alternate days to walking.

Each exercise session twice a day

1) Sidestepping to the left about 10 steps and then to the right
2) swinging left leg out to the side - small movement whilst clenching buttocks 10 times
3)Swinging left leg to the back 10x small movement
4)Small squats 10x Clenching buttocks and keeping back straight

5) Small lunge with left leg stretched to back and bending right knee then reverse
6) Swaying from side to side transferring weight
7) 15 steps of stairs once a day. Was doing alternate legs as normal but PT told me to go back to the previous way of stepping up with right leg and then bringing up left
8) Knee raises from standing 10x can get to 90 degrees.
9) walking forwards and backwards 4 steps each way adjusting balance from heel toe forwards and toe heel backwards.

I stopped all of these last Tuesday after physio and just concentrated on walking.

None of the physio exercises “seemed” to cause a problem until resistance band used for swinging thigh and knee out to the right whilst lying on bed caused a problem actually at PT. that was three weeks ago.

I was able to walk a mile on crutches mainly Using one crutch but carrying two in case I got tired. Now doing 1/4 mile today.

The PT told me not to come off the crutches until I was not limping. I can now walk a bit unaided around the house without a limp but it hurts.

I ice a lot!

Drugs
1000 mg paracetamol 4x a day
1x Codeine 30mg in morning and one at night
1 mini asprin in the morning.

I hope this is not too much of an essay! Thanks for helping...
 
Last edited:
@Wavehog
Fascinating story about the history of hobiecats! Thanks. One learns so much on this forum. Are you wearing your ODIC badge of shame then?

I like sailing in strong winds, usually with another person on board. We do tend to sail on edge and sometimes capsize hitting the water hard. Might have to curtail this a bit with new hip “Hermione”. She may be magic but traditionally witches don’t like water! I shall see.....

I first realised I had a hip problem when I couldn’t move fast enough across the Cat when going about and said to my companion that there was something wrong. I also got back pain when standing up at parties/presentations etc and found I had less and less time before the pain would start. I was automatically leaning more on my right leg than left.

Still got a shock when my gP said it was my hip and I would probably need an operation within two years. Wish I had done it earlier but was completely ignorant of what this would all mean!

Rest up and take care!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hope your day is going well. I noticed you answered Jo's questions. I believe she's away
for a couple days but she'll get back with you as soon as she returns.
I hope you have a pleasant evening.
@SurreyGirl
 
Hi @SurreyGirl
I hope you've had a good day so far. I noticed on another thread you were wondering if you should bring
hubby with you to your appt on Monday. I think you should. It's another set of ears. It's not always easy to remember all the doctor says especially if you have a lot of questions. In addition, you may forget to ask something you intended and hubby might remember. It helps me to put the questions in my phone, because I can be forgetful. Then after your appt. you can go have a nice lunch, or dinner, together. :yes: Sounds fun to me.
A great rest of the day to you!
 
I know he wants to be involved and I have already compiled some questions. H is “larger” than me and insists on wearing Caribbean shirts all year round. Public School eccentric! Usually I wouldn’t mind but I do want the Consultant to take me seriously...

Just re-read the letter! It seems I am seeing the registrar rather than the consultant. He is probably the nice chap I saw in the day of the op. Will he be able to answer my questions?

In the meantime I have received a questionnaire from the hospital which is to be answered anominously. I have already had a chase up by letter for not yet filling it in. Was waiting for the post op appt. I do feel like a second rate citizen!

Good news is that my walking is much better at home and I am still practising going crutchless around the kitchen conservatory in 10 minute intervals. Leg feels stiff and a bit swollen but pain much better.
 
Last edited:
Hi @SurreyGirl
I don't see why you wouldn't be taken seriously due to your husband's attire. Whether wearing a Carribean shirt, or not, your husband should be taken seriously also.

Is the Registrar below the Consultant? I don't fully understand the terminology in UK but believe your Consultant is the equivalent of our PA's in the states?

Great news on taking more independent steps around your home. It's coming, slowly but surely. I'm excited for you! I hope you have a nice weekend :)
 
Thank you! I believe the Consultant status is higher than the Registrars but, then again, I may get more information from the Registrar!

Have a good weekend too.
 
Consultant is the highest. Regs can be very experienced or more junior.

You may. But you can never tell who you see until the day.

Only take H if he is a good listener and able to ask a planned useful question. Worry not about the colourful shirts. They might make someone’s day. Good luck.
 
Hmmmmm! “Good listener” - more likely to dominate the conversation....
 
Then, as you are doing, think twice. How about a relative or friend as an alternative? Or you may just want to go with the flow. Its useful for partners to hear the medical verdicts as they then know what's going on. I suspect these follow-ups are often seen as rubber stamping discharge exercises. They know it takes much longer to really heal and its early days.
 
Yay on less pain and walking better!:yes!:
Two months is still early days...
doing well there, @SurreyGirl :ok:

My brother in law lives in Hawaiian shirts ...:heehee:
Not used to seeing him in anything else now.
Hope you have a good weekend:loveshwr:
 
Back
Top Bottom