Guest viewing is limited

THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

I love any seafood and my red meats so get plenty of protein. My hubby makes delicious homemade bread by hand - he works from home so kneads the dough in between bouts of creative IT thinking! He is currently next door working as I type this.. It think it is bread that is my downfall along with lovely wine. A few potatoes and some rice does not seem to make much difference. I lost 2 stone prior to the op using the dreaded Orlistat. It did work and I learnt to restrict my fat intake to 15g per meal.However I can't take this stuff with the pain meds as it affects adsorption and also is dangerous if I need to go to the loo fast!
Probably the best thing is to start weighing and measuring again (yawn) and restrict the fat to 20g a meal and cut down from there… It all helps!
 
@SurreyGirl
I love meat specially and bread and pasta and and and you get the picture.
Have you ever tried Slimming World? For me it's the easiest to follow ad very little weighing and measuring.

I like the fact that if I make a spag Bol, or roast dinner, without adding extra fat I can have as much as I like and still be on plan. Hmmm, me thinks I need to get the books back out but off to a food festival this weekend so it will have to wait for a few days.
 
A food festival! Love it.... I would have to be quite disciplined to do Slimming World as have a foodie husband to cope with. He did rise to the lowering fat challenge previously so maybe I should do it again. Unlimited spag Bol sounds awesome!
 
Good to hear Bionic.

Btw just done my first mile walk. Now sitting and icing so let’s see how this goes...
 
It did work and I learnt to restrict my fat intake to 15g per meal......and restrict the fat to 20g a meal and cut down from there… It all helps!

I've been running with the : "it's not the fat--it's the carbs! " motto for some time. But I guess at the end of the day it's the calories, so whatever works for you. I'm going to try out the lower-carb version for a few months. Here's hoping!
 
Just started week 9

Positives
Hip getting stronger
Hardly any pain at night
Can sleep on operated side with care and with pillow under scar
Started walking without crutches using heel to toe in a straight line at home for about 10 minutes and stop when it pulls or if I start limping.
Stairs with one crutch easy and most of the time using normal stepping.
Can walk a mile slowly with crutches mostly on one but using both on the way home if I get tired. Neighbours being lovely and I have met some new ones going out and about!
Am very confident getting in and out of normal height cars and confident in restaurants (having forced myself to go out once a week and meet friends) and navigating around tables. Can use a Normal height loo if I really have t0.
Can get up from bed and chair using just with my legs. The minor squats I practised before and after the op helped here.
Can cook standing up for a good period of time and walk around kitchen to get stuff. Still sit down to prepare veggies but that is common sense..

Negatives
Some physio exercises set me back and so have stopped most of them for now and concentrating on walking. No physio appt for two weeks
Have got the pain down to one specific area and now know the exercises that set it off so I don’t do them!
Still following the Restrictions
Concentrating on anything still an issue and get tired easily.
Am worried sick about going back to work!
Seat height of my car is 12 inches off ground. I can get up from 19 inches from a low Physio bed so will need to think about this one. A firm cushion raises the seat height but then not sure I can get my legs under the steering wheel! The car is a Mazda mx5 and a manual. 45 minute drive to work. Not sure how I will cope with this as yet!
Bouts of minor blues and discouraged when I read other peoples’ Progress (yes I know I shouldn’t)
Seeing OS for first time since the op next week followed by Occupational Health and return to work next week too.
Cheering myself up by planning a nice holiday in the New Year.

Thanks to all on here for your fantastic support!
 
Good luck with your meetings next week. Will be fascinated to hear what your consultant has to say for his handiwork.
 
Hi @SurreyGirl
I hope you're having a great day acros the pond. I'm just starting mine over here.
Looks like we have a sunny one in tap this afternoon. I hope you're in some sunshine too :SUNsmile:
I'm tagging @Josephine to weigh in on your progress only because a couple things you mentioned caught my eye.

Am worried sick about going back to work!

Have got the pain down to one specific area and now know the exercises that set it off so I don’t do them!

The minor squats I practised before and after the op helped here.

Started walking without crutches using heel to toe in a straight line at home for about 10 minutes and stop when it pulls or if I start limping.

She may, or may not, have some questions for you so please check back periodically.
Hope you have a nice weekend!
 
Thanks. Sadly it is very windy and rainy here with bursts of sunshine. A local huge bike event got cancelled because of the weather.

@Layla i haven’t bothered Josephine yet as wanted to hear what my surgeon says on Monday. I am taking it easy right now and will do next week and pain is much less and just some tightness in the same area which is concentrated right at the top of the sacral area around the corner into the bottom of my buttock. Massaging around this area with E45 cream after a nice hot shower helps. If I don’t get any satisfactory answers on Monday - he has not had an ideal bedside manner so far- I will tag Josephine.

Thanks again. Things are getting better generally and this forum is a godesend...
 
:hi:
Best of luck for your appointment today!
Almost two months...I know that can seem a long time...but in hip recovery...still early days.
Month four was my biggest :yes!: revelation...
Keep the faith!:)
 
Happy Monday! @SurreyGirl
Best wishes for a great visit with your surgeon today.
I hope its an informative one and he's satisfied with your progress.
Recovery is a long process and at 2 months out you still have a lot of healing to do.
A great week to you!
 
Thanks @Layla and @Mojo333

Unfortunately I have to report the following

I went to outpatients at the Royal Surrey (Husband drove me) for my Consultant’s Follow up Appt and found out at the Outpatients Reception that the appt has been postponed to next week.

They told me they they had sent me a letter re this on 7th September. They hadn’t . I asked to see a copy. They couldn’t produce one. I now have an appt with the Consultant for next Monday and have rescheduled Occupational Health to next Wednesday - which is the earliest they could give me. But I am due back to work on Thursday 27th.

I will probably suggest I officially work from home from Thursday 27th September to save having to get a another fit to work note -and then see what the consultant says on Monday and Occ Health on Wednesday re a phased return.

I am pretty fed up tbh and not looking forward to telling HR!
 
I'm sorry @SurreyGirl
What a dissapointment. We so look forward to these appts to have questions answered and
gain reassurance we're progressing as we should. Hold on, just a bit longer.
Best wishes for your comfort while you wait.
 
Thanks Layla. I think now is the time to tag Josephine in. I have resisted so far but just need some reassurance re some pain I have been getting. I know she is busy!
 
I'll tag her for you.
Hi @Josephine - sorry for the double tag but I'm assuming after the original tag you noticed
SurreyGirl mentioned her preference to not bother you until after on her appointment, which was canceled.
So, when you have time, wondering if you could weigh in on her progress. I highlighted a few things in # 310 that may, or may not warrant a comment from you.
 
Hi! It is your four month turnaround that rang bells with me. I suspect I will be similar.... :)
 
So sorry to read the hospital messed you around! Not much you can do I guess. I would still ask for another fit note if you are not feeling ready to go back to work.
 
Yes that was unfortunate but sadly it happens a lot these days. I had an appointment to see one of my surgeons to get shots in my shoulders. It was on June 11 and I'd waited 3 months for it. Then I got a letter a couple of days before saying the clinic had been postponed. I'm still waiting for a replacement appointment! So now I've been waiting since March!

BTW, you can tag my any time you want. It's my job to be here for the members and I'm delighted to respond to them. THAT's what keeps me busy!
 
Back
Top Bottom