THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Another milestone

The Day The Stitches are Removed

It is two weeks since the operation and the Installation of Hermione

I have a lot to write up. Copious notes have been made and there have been many funny incidents. However, for the moment I am blogging the hip recovery only. The rest may come later or may not...

The day dawns, I get up, have the extra dressing applied over the wound, have breakfast, and shower. Showers, despite resulting in knotted mess of baby fine hair, are one of the things I look forward to. Most days here now consist of small victories, and the occasional failure. But showers are special and I have the Art of Showering down to a tee (worth a chapter on its own).

After the night’s tender administrations under the watch of Staff Nurse Mary the day’s shift starts. I have been told to ring the bell when I am ready. The Staff Nurse arrives with a pack of scary-looking medical stuff including scissors.

The first thing to be removed is the waterproof dressing. This, as you can imagine is a bit painful. It has been there since Day 0. Of the operation - and is not coming off without a fight. SsN starts. It feels a lot like having wax removed after it has been stuck on for two weeks. As she proceeds the SN asks me about my cards and flowers and I complement her on her “distraction technique”. Rumbled, She laughs. So far so good. I bear up and play the game. And it is done..

The famous blue pressure dressing also is removed. I am very glad to see the back of that. Because it is a special dressing it is designed to put pressure on the wound and is in addition to the suture. When sitting in an armchair one can feel the dressing pressing up against the chair. It is uncomfortable. Worse is in bed, but at least it stops me from accidentally turning onto the operated side.

This lady has most definitely been sleeping on her back!

It is also felt when the pressure cuff of the ice machine is applied, but bearable.

And now the big moment. “Will there be any pain”? I ask, nervously. The SN replies “not much but I can’t guarantee it”..... and she starts to pull at the suture (one long piece) and to cut. At the first tug, I yelp! And memories start flooding back. I ask to sit down.....and perch st the side of the bed.

And then it happens . I start shaking, I start crying. I am totally annoyed with myself but the fear of more pain is overwhelming. I ask if I can roll over on my unoperated side with the pillow between my legs side and hold the position so that the wound side is exposed and the stitches removed, . SN is sympathetic but firm. We have to do this standing up..

I get to my feet.

Ok.

I start to deep breathe and concentrate on the breathing, I can feel a tickle and a tug. I wait for the onslaught of pain. I still have my eyes shut. “All done” laughs the SN. “Really” I think, amazed.

I sit down and turn to see SN is packing away stuff onto a a kidney shaped stainless steel tray. “Do you want to see The Thread?”. She asks. “Many people would rather not!” And, of course. I am tempted and curious. And I look.

She holds up what looks like a 12 inch long piece of black string. Wow! In reality it is probably not that long - I imagine a similarity to fishing stories where people boast about the length of their string to each other saying “it was this big”. and smile to myself...

A waterproof and very very smooth plaster is applied. I run my hand gingerly down my leg. No lumps or bumps. There is a mild burning sensation from the wound site but that is all.

The SN says “Mrs S, you can shower anytime you like now. No need to have a top layer of dressing.” She leaves and i eye up my shower avariciously. Would two showers in one hour be too much? I sigh and decide against it as Physio looms. But it is lovely to know THAT I CAN

:happydance:stitches out!
All going well...guessing it won't be much longer and you will be heading home?
Hope your weekend is healiing and happy!:SUNsmile:

The thread was soooo looong :bigfish:
Hooray for stitches out. :yay: Knocking down those milestones.
Now you just need to fly the coop.
Enjoy your evening!
@SurreyGirl

Loving that gif. Made me laugh. The people here, guests and staff are all great fun. I have made some friends here and am hoping that we can coordinate our physios and maybe hydros here in the near futureZ
Discharge date Minday after lunch.

02-48 after 4 hours sleep. Woke up due to pressure on bladder. Realise I need to go to the loo but am in nice comfy “hippy hotel” bed, am warm and don’t want to move.... so I lie and stare at the ceiling.

Pressure on bladder increases. Keeping well hydrated has its disadvantages.
I have no choice.
Start to slide out of bed. I have a big bolster in the middle so navigate good leg past it, good leg negotiates with bad leg and I am now in a in a sitting position ready to get up. Still feeling warm, calm and woozy. It had been a very good dinner!. Get crutches. Put arms through holes, start to get up..... STOP! My inner self screams. “Oh yes, - I’m not supposed to do that....

Take arms out of holes. Put crutches together in the approved manner and get up. Start towards loo door (all of 8 feet away) and my bladder starts to get very excited. It can anticipate what is to come and has no respect for the rest of my body.. As the door opens to the loo/shower area it is doing cartwheels. I hold and hold and hold...... and just make it. I sit there with a sigh of relief....and reflect......

That could have gone horribly wrong. If I had stood up with arms in crutches akimbo and fallen it could have been serious.the nearest bell is a crawl away..... I also reflect that I now know the point of pelvic floor exercises!.

So a question for experirnced people here.
Does anyone know the magic formula between enough water to rehydrate v the “ruthless pressure on the bladder moment”?

Now back in bed, typing, sipping water and munching on a biscuit...the biscuit tastes great. Small pleasures..

I have Jean Michele’s Calypso pouring gently into my Bluetooth eyemask.
The typing getes slower and more inaccurate.

Last full day at the Hotel for Hippies....I have become happily institutionalised...

Time to drift off again zzzz

Last edited:
05-15 need to pee again. No dramas. But I am hungry. Dinner was served at 6pm and breakfast on Sunday will be served at around 9am if last week was anything to go by. A 14 hour fast.... ah well, I am at the “Hotel for Hippies”.... I can ring the bell if I am ill, hungry, distressed etc,., once home i can’t see my husband doing this - and it would not be fair to ask him. My stomach grumbles. I make up my mind,
press the bell and order tea, and a small plate of cheese and bisciouts.

The small window shows a pale grey dawn. My last day at the HFH begins...

Don’t be surprised if you are suddenly ravenously hungry in the next couple of weeks. It’s the body demanding food to fuel repair. I even had faddish wishes - sometimes for iron rich foods. It does fade away though.

I DID try to stay hydrated...brought my big ugly hospital "sippy cup" home, and tried to drink lots as constipation was a problem for a bit.:nah:
And yes...as soon I would finally get comfy...time to get up and pee.:groan:
Long journey (maybe, fifteen baby steps) to bathroom...
I was anxious about going home and putting a burden on DH but was able to manage most things..albeit slowly and his assistance was no more than what I would do should he be in my circumstance.
Only temporary...:ok:

Home will feel so sweet after the hospital and Hotel for Hippes.
No more ringing for tea and biscuits.
Bang your fork on the table and ask hubs when your steak will be ready.
Might as well break him in fast :heehee:
Hope your last day @HH is fun. Pull some pranks....at least one.
Give em something to remember you by.
@SurreyGirl

Hope your journey home is uneventful. Major milestone - well done!

Thank you for all for your kind remarks. I have taken the time to thank personally some of the amazing staff. They were all good but, as usual there were some stars. Will give details of what I can and can’t do physically tomorrow but, although I am still on two crutches I am confident on them and certainly think I can cope at home. Will double checks the dos and fonts Re Physio but they have been great and not pushed me too much.

Oh, and don’t worry, there have been one or two minor revolutions upsetting the regime ;-)

I am only a short walk to the fridge. Plates of cheese and biscious being discussed.

Yay for going home!
:ok:
I was anxious about it at first, but figured things out as I went...and getting back to normalcy was wonderful.

Hello everyone. Now had Hermione installed For three weeks and now 3 days in back at home.

Husband (H) doing his best but has some interesting ideas.

Bedroom set up downstairs andcall goid. Brand new bed with memory foam mattress and bookshelf right by the bed so plenty of loved books to reread. Combs central set up in left of bed. Armchair rescued from my father in laws house. Short walk to loo and shower which is a walk in albeit rather small.

When I got home I did a “dry run” in that, with clothes on, I practised sitting on the 0ver-loo contraption provided by the NHS, practiced sitting on the shower seat (which H bought) and knowing where to put the crutches safely, location of soap etc and grabber when needed. The “dry” run worked well so feel confident for shower the next day

Hubby cooked sea bass with potatoes and sweet corn washed down with small glass of wine. (I am still following the HFH’s guidelines on alcohol albeit tending to the safer side) I had done physio at the HFH that morning plus my beloved icemachines. so did a quick set of exercises before bed. Again nothing too drastic. All small movements.,

Slept fitfully on my back with hip and ankle iced. No pain and husband bought me cheese and biscuits at midnight. Bless. He was determined to outdo the wonderful Giuseppe, f and b manager T the HFH.

And, cautious reader with an eye for detail....., the rest of the bottle of wine was drunk by Hubby. More of this later....

The following morning the shower loomed. Very successful and I didn’t want to get out. Just sat there very happy with water falling over my hair, my body.., and half the floor space. Oops! Standing up in the “ugly but functional” non slip map I ventured out. . All went well until was putting on underwear using the grabber and perched on nHS loo seat which has a forward tilt and which was slightly damp due to the shower. . Slipped forward but managed to balance Myself just in time. Lesson learnt and a scary moment .

I am on two crutches at present and concentrating on gait as have been lopsided for too long. Practised going from bedroom to kitchen and back and then a few times around the garden. Unfortunately hubby had not mowed the lawn the entire time so navigating through “What Lies Beneath” and hoping there are no rabbit holes!
By the end of my first full day home I was already using one crutch for very short distances. Concentrated in posture.

Very tired when eventually turned in.,

Ps’meds are

30g of codeine and 500 g paracetamol three times a day. Laxative in liquid form, senna pills in the evening. Morphine 5g 29 mins before physio session and 5g just before bedtime. Ice ice and more ice.

Not a good time for a row.
Not a good time at all.
Hope you feel better.:console2:

The row happened because hubby had a tad too much to drink again and , amongst other things started to rearrange my room droppingvstuff in the floor and causing my d board, cables and electronics to go flying. Also sat in bed to say “goodnight” dangerously close to the operated leg. When he knocked yet another thing over I yelled “Get Out! At the top of my voice! I don’t think I have ever shouted like that before. Guess we are both under stress.

Anyway resolved the next day when I had words but stayed calm. I pointed out that shoukd I have a fall would he be capable of driving and getting me to hospital

Now trying extra hard bless him. He works from home on some pretty Brainy stuff so having me around, albeit in the room next door can’t be easy.

Today was so much better except cane down the main step from the house and got the balance wrong with the crutches on a wet surface. Slipped and my whole body went sideways luckily I didn’t quite fall but jolted. Getting into the car was easy thanks to proper training by the physios and we had a nice time at a local restaurant/pub. Bit scared approaching that step again. But made it.,leg playing up more than usual so mantra of ice, rest, elevate and repeat working well.

To me, It is important that the Carer not only takes care of the Cared-For but also takes care of himself!

But all in all progress is being made. In one crutch most of the time at home but getting form right with two crutches. Have booked 2 physio sessions with the lady I worked with last week as she is excellent, we have a rapport and does not push me. She gave me a glowing report for my Consultant :/)

My movements are much freeer now and, although stiff, the new hip feels surprisingly natural and can move through quite a range. Yes the muscles are getting acquainted with “Hermione” and this will take some time. But they will get there.

Once restrictions are lifted “Advanced Physio” will include how to get in and out of a low car! I remain... optimistic

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back