THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

@An54 “There have been studies linking imagining doing an activity to an improvement in ability”

.....sure that there has been some work on this.

I tried to find some literature on this, but the google searches always ended up with articles showing the benefits of physical exercise on cognitive functions, not the other way around. I tried various key words in different orders, but couldn't drill down to what I was looking for. I'm wondering if it was covered in Norman Doidge's book The Brains That Changes Itself (a game-changer for me). But that book was published years ago--nothing groundbreaking at this point about the concept of neuroplasticity; I don't know if I misunderstood what I first read, or mixed it up with the experiments involving electrical implants--in the brain I assume-- that allowed stroke or paralysis subjects to control computers with their thoughts alone.
 
I'm imagining I'm a millionaire...
Waiting....:whistle:
Waiting....:shrug:
Still Waiting....:beg:
Didn't work....:nah:

Hope you're enjoying the lovely sunny day way over yonder!
@SurreyGirl
 
Sorry to hear that @Layla

“progress” Report

Now Tuesday and coming up to my 6 week anniversary on Thursday.

Went for a 1/2 mile walk yesterday but with very small steps and on two crutches. Iced as soon as I got back. Seemed to be ok and did involve a small gravelly slope! Quite tired afterwards but not excessively so.
Seeing physio on Thursday so will ask about going to one crutch outside.

Trying with paracetamol 4x a day and codeine once in morning and once in evening. So far so good.

Hip stiff in morning but eases up once moving about.

Sleeping on my back in two stages now and occasionally on my non op side for a bit.

Still icing like crazy but ankle swelling much less of an issue now.

The only pain I have is tightness of left buttock and a slight sharp burning pain at top of wound into buttock. I am using e45 cream and massaging the area around the scar and this seems to help. General soreness around the scar but not bad... scar itself looks fine if VERY long!

Still very nervous about walking without aids although leg is fully weight bearing.

Consultants appt not until 24th.

About 4 days supply of codeine left. Should I be asking for more at this stage!? Just in case ?!
 
@SurreyGirl
I stopped the codeine at the end of the first week because of constipation and as far as pain relief goes, never missed it. I was still having the paracetamol though which on its own worked for me. Only you will know about the pain you are in but if you are unsure I would probably ask for more codeine. I think having it to hand, even though you might not use it, can be of benefit.

You are braver than me for massaging the scar. I haven't touched mine yet. Scaredy cat :-) I would be ok with someone else touching it but just can't bring myself to do it.

I am a couple of weeks ahead of you in the recovery plan. I am fully weight bearing at home with no problem but outside I always take at least one crutch for safety sake and to give me a bit of confidence. Its useful for others to see too as they give you a bit wider berth.
 
Hi @SurreyGirl
If you don't mind me asking....what are you afraid of in losing the assistive devices?
Have you tried, or were you advised not to for some reason?
I hope you have a nice day.
@SurreyGirl
 
Hi I have tried walking without the crutch at home in the kitchen but get quite a bit of pain in my upper thigh when trying and the crutch in the other hand takes the weight off sufficiently to stop the problem.. will speak to physio about it tomorrow... I will be at exactly six weeks tomorrow.
 
Hi @SurreyGirl
It sounds as though the pain may be stalling your recovery a bit.
Want to check in with Josephine on that? If so, tag her, or let us know and we'll do it for you.
Curious what the Physio has to say tomorrow.
Hope you get answers and the pain eases soon. :console2:
 
Thanks! The pain overall is less and I seem to be able to do the walking with crutches easily. It is trying to walk without any support which is the issue. The left leg feels stiff and heavy and there is some pain. With the aid of a crutch it is fine. I have cut the codeine down to 30mg in the morning and 30mg at night and 1000mg paracetamol 4x a day still,

Will see what the physio suggests tomorrow . So far she has been very good. If I still have issues will consult with Josephine.

Thanks
 
It’s possible the leg muscle tone and strength needs to catch up with the hip. Mine needs to. All that pre-op strain of leg and back muscles doesn’t go immediately. Then we are rexeducating foot, knee! Hip alignment and the muscles need to rebalance themselves. My Pilates teacher talks about removing the muscle memory. My theory anyway.
:climb::climb:
 
Good luck at Physio today.
Hope you have a good session and get some answers on your pain.
Let us know how it goes.
A great day to you!
@SurreyGirl
 
Hello!
First the good news. Saw the physio. Some tightness in buttocks and lower back probably because needed to use the computer for the first time in 6 weeks!

Did some stretching and pain in posterior much less. All exercises already established going well including mini squats - knees also better. . Physio not happy about me outside on only one crutch on a half mile walk ( I did say I didn’t feel quite stable) and said better to be on 2 for that distance but on 1 for shorter distances. I am fine with that. Heel toe working well.

And then the trouble. And yes I should have checked the physio advice given here!!!

She had me on the bed, with the thigh falling to the side exercise. No issues as had been practising this one. But then she introduced an elastic band. Around the thighs and held in the middle with hands. Then the exercise again very gently. After 5 reps it started to hurt so we stopped. She said to continue to do it at home but with no bands.

Went on ice machine for 20 minutes but pain across top of thigh still there. Went out with hubby for lunch and pain got quite sharp. It Stopped when resting but hurt when moving. Went to bed with ice and two codeine (which I had been cutting down on). Feels a bit better now.

Hope this is a blip and that there are no issues tomorrow but just as well I am NOT back at work tomorrow and got that extension!
 
Hi, I'm sorry you're suffering pain. I know it can be a struggle, physio or no physio :good-bad: ultimately it's your decision but please keep the following in mind ~

BIG TIP:
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Glad you still have time off work to heal. I hope you have a lovely weekend!
@SurreyGirl
 
Last edited:
Thanks Layla!
So far the Physio I had done had been helpful, it was just this one thing.... so stopping that right now and will make it clear next week no more bands! Got out of bed just now to make a sandwich and pain kicked in immediately. Will see how it is tomorrow and up the meds if I need to. So frustrating as I was cutting down quite successfully. Oh well, tomorrow is another day!! Have a good weekend too x
 
I read your last few posts and it sounds like maybe you are knocking on the ODIC door and the pressure of returning to work maybe is pushing you too hard. Extend the extention and like I always say when nagged. “It’s ready when it’s ready, it’s done when it’s done, we’ll be there when we’re there, and we’ll get there when we get there...” Good luck and Peace.
 
The bands are not good...neither are weights added in my opinion.
:nah:

Those started causing me to go backwards and quit physio.
I knew how to do the rest of it when needed as many as I knew I could do comfortably on my own and I moved forward much better that way.
Hope all feels better soon.:flwrysmile:
 
:mcoffee: Morning (for me)
Sorry you are struggling some now, but try you spend your weekend taking it easy and icing all you can, and we'll get this back on track soon.:yes:
Hope your weekend is peaceful!
 
Thanks for all the kind comments. I took it really easy yesterday and just did a bit of walking around the garden , icing, back to bed, more icing etc.

Achy today but a bit better.... meeting some Alaskan friends for lunch so that will take my mind off things.

I had contact with a fellow hippy who was in the Recovery Home same time as I was and with the same consultant. She is two weeks ahead of me and has no pain, rarely uses her cane and has just come back from a holiday in Italy with her family... she is 8 years older than me but slimmer and also had the posterior no stocking approach. I know we should not compare recoveries but I admit to being a little envious. Hopefully I will look back at all this in 6 months time and wonder what the fuss was all about...

In the meantime, onwards, and I am looking forward to seeing my Consultant on 24th to get a progress report and some answers. I don’t even know what sort of implant I have!
 
I think you are doing well and you are correct.
Please don't compare or feel behind the curve.
There are lots of factors involved but I do get that her progress probably made you envious.
Not even two months post op from big surgery...you are doing fine.
I also was unaware of what sort of "device" was implanted until one of my post-op appointments when I finally thought to ask.:shrug:
Hope today is a good day:SUNsmile:
 
Back
Top Bottom