THR Hokey cokey OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
LeeApril26, I can only do the straight leg lift with my left leg. The right one was painful for years so had more damage and muscle wasting.
Yes I can identify with a weeble walk, only difference was I did fall down before surgery as my balance was gone.
TeeEm, I will give the surgery video a miss for now. I am not squeamish but it is a bit soon for me.
Peaches I can come downstairs normally but upstairs is still toddler style one step at a time.
 
I will give the surgery video a miss for now. I am not squeamish but it is a bit soon for me.
good idea. You have to wait until its all faded in your mind, so you dont connect yourself with what is happening, but Im glad I finally plucked up the courage.

Elosarabrab and LeeApril26 Lets hope the weeble wobble is in our pasts now .:dancy:
 
LeeApril26 TeeEm @ Peaches Elosarabrab I think PT is good for that they can evaluate you and see what needs improving and make suggestions how to get you to those improvements but you should never let them push you. When it hurts, stop. I made that mistake with my first hip, I did what I was told and suffered with every step I took from muscle spasms so then going to PT was basically me not doing much more than saying everything hurt when I moved my leg at all. This time I'm in control. The PT I have asked me how I want to handle my recovery.
 
Elosarabrab TeeEm I watched several videos on the hip surgery before I even had my first surgery scheduled. We go through a lot in surgery. The doctor has tools like a carpenter, drill, screws, hammer, saw. It's amazing what they can do and we feel so much better afterwards. How is the gait for the both of you? Mine is coming along still a little weak on the newest hip but I have been walking around in the house for the past 3 days without the help of a cane. My leg does gets sore by evening but I'm hoping that it is also getting strengthened too. I still have the weeble wobble going on a little without the aid of the cane but it's getting better. I'm the same with steps as Elosarabrab taking them like a 2 year old for now.
 
sandybeach, my gait is much improved after the second op. Before the op my left foot turned in when I walked and I waddled. My foot is straight and the waddle is reduced. I use sticks outside but I don't use aids at home.
 
Elosarabrab What are the exercises that your PT has you doing? I'm not good at the exercises....I have to admit. I have to do the clams. Lay on my bed on my stomach and do leg lifts. I stand at the counter and do sideways leg lifts. I stand on each leg one at the time with full weight on them and try not to hold on to a counter or table. I practice going up and down stairs. I have PT today I don't know if more will be added, or she said I will be more aggressive on machines soon.
 
sandybeach, I dont have formal PT I was told to increase the amount I walked each day. The only thing I got was a sheet talking about the basic ankle rotations, sliding the foot when you are lying down until your knee is bent. Static quads pushing the knee into the bed while tightening the muscles on the front of the thigh.
 
Elosarabrab I read sometime ago on here that the hips sort themselves out. I believe that. I am not real good at doing my exercises all the time but I am seeing constant improvement. I don't baby myself, I'm up doing things all the time. I go out shopping, I do use the shopping cart for support. I'm doing all the housework now and cooking all the meals. I drive. I think it just takes time and the thigh muscle tightening while sitting I think is a good one along with the butt tightening. I also think walking up slight inclines would be good, I feel that in my legs right away.
 
Elosarabrab I didn't have many PT appointments, did you, 4 I think I had and I was also given a sheet of excersise to do at home. It does seem that you are given many more PT appointments in the USA and even home visits at the beginning, I don't know anyone in the UK that gets a home visit physio, it also sounds like they expect more from you.
 
All I got was a little book of exercises, with ones ticked that I was allowed to do. Apart from the bed ones that Elosarabrab described, there is also knee raises, sideways leg swings and ones where you lift your heel towards your bum. There are heel lifts and small squats in the book as well, but Im not allowed to do them as you need to be fully weightbearing. No formal PT at all once you are discharged, but the hospital PT did give you a number to ring if you needed advice or were struggling .
 
Hi all I have had a number of home visits by the physio which was initially to demonstrate and supervise the exercises as well as supervising me walking outside.I also have had 2 visits from the Team Leader a senior physio who measured my leg lengths and today she came out at my request because of the problems I have had in the groin. I have hip flexor tendinitis by the way which can take up to 6 weeks to be resolved but at least I know what it is now.
 
Wow Kim22 you got home visits on the NHS, you lucky girl!! What is Hip flexor tendinitis, has that been giving the grion pain, as you say it's good to know what is giving you the problem providing it goes away that is.
Yes TeeEm and Elosarabrab I had the same bed excersises and was given another sheet for the tougher sideways leg rises, knee risers and squats etc.
 
Kim22 Sorry to hear about the tendonitis. Was it the PT who was able to diagnose it? My OS mentioned a possible tendonitis to me, too. Any particular exercises or treatments she has you doing? You're absolutely right, though, at least now you know what it is. And now you can get treated for it properly.
I think most of the exercises are pretty standard. I also had the bed ones at first, ones standing at the sink to flex my hips up, going up and down the stairs, walking heel toe. The outpatient PT had me do leg presses on a machine and curls back and forth on a machine. But when I started to feel discomfort, he pretty much backed off. Last few times it was just heat and stim to reduce inflammation.
TeeEm You're brave, I think to watch the surgery video. You, too, sandybeach.
TeeEm are you the one who was a little bit awake during your surgery and talking to the anesthesist? Or am I getting my BoneSmart people confused? :)

And I do believe I remember it was Josephine who says that the hips have a way of straightening themselves out without all of the PT (pain and torture she calls it) :) Although some of us have weakness from the osteo and need strengthening and gait training for the weeble walking! My son said I was limping before surgery, and my PT said I was hobbling all over the place. That's news to me, I didn't even realize it.
 
I have hip flexor tendinitis by the way which can take up to 6 weeks to be resolved but at least I know what it is now.

What a nuisance Kim. I bet you are fed up !. Tendonitis/Bursitis etc seems to be a common thing after THR I hope it settles down quickly now you know what it is.

TeeEm are you the one who was a little bit awake during your surgery and talking to the anesthesist? Or am I getting my BoneSmart people confused? :)
Yep. That was me !
 
Littlejem and ByGosh. It was the PT who diagnosed it after a thorough examination I think in the UK other health professionals besides doctors do diagnose conditions when they are working at a high level within their area of expertise.Hip flexor tendinitis as far as I am aware Janet is inflammation of one of the tendons in the groin area Tendons attaches muscles to bones.I was shown how to massage the area to break up areas of adhesions and advised to stop hip flexion exercises for now but to carry on with extension, abduction and addiction exercises.I just hope it settles down but if not I may have to seek out a private physio for extra treatments like ultrasound. Remember our mantra slow but steady if I had followed it I may still be pain free.
 
Hi TeeEm You are right both Tendonitis and Bursitis seem to be very common after a THR. The physio told me I was very unlucky as most would have got away with such a twisting incident at 7 weeks but it just shows how careful you have to be and very mindful of our movements. Once we start to feel better it is easy to forget.
 
Kim22 So no more hip flexion? That seems to bother me the most. Hmmmmm. I guess the tendons are pretty upset in there after all of the manipulation that goes on in the OR. And who knows which ones of us had more stuff that went on during surgery than another one of us? TeeEm even remembers her legs being at odd angles during surgery. Ouch! That hurts me to just to know that she knew!:sick: But she's pretty cool about it...:) She has no hard feelings, am I right TeeEm?
 
TeeEm even remembers her legs being at odd angles during surgery.

Yes, thats right. You are clamped into this brace type thing on your side (dont know how many of you remember that, as that was just after the spinal ) and there is a green surgical screen to prevent you turning your head and actually watching the surgery, but I remember feeling as if my leg was being pulled straight up in the air so it was at right angles to the other one. Im sure it wasnt as far as that really, but it was certainly stretched well beyond my normal range of movement and flexibility. I remember thinking that it would really hurt if I could feel it. Its no wonder that many on here have issues with tendons, ligaments and muscles post-op !
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom