THR Hokey cokey OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kim22,
It seems like those going through this for the second time have more patience and have learnt from the first time.Good on you !
I think that's probably right. For me, until my second hip was fixed I couldn't do much but wait for the next surgery now that I had that my body is trying little by little to return to normal again. I am in no hurry as long as I'm seeing some improvement, I know I'm doing things right. Yesterday I went all day without using a cane, I didn't do a lot of walking but for me that's huge. Today my leg is a little tender so I will probably use the cane some today and then see what tomorrow brings.
Maeve Unless you really do something to send yourself backwards, by August you should be doing really well. My first surgery was February 26, that leg is doing so well now that I can forget it had surgery. I still need to build the muscles up in it yet but I can walk and lay on it without thinking about it anymore. I have to work on steps, going up steps I have to hang on to the railing.
 
I am SO impatient about so many things. But not all. I too tried a pre-op meditation tape, forgot who the chap was, but the funny thing is ... his droning voice telling me my leg was feeling lighter and lighter made me laugh outloud uncontrollably. Like laughing in church only because you know you aren't supposed to. Call me nuts, but the release of a big, long belly laugh actually released more stress than the tape did. I would never pooh-pooh those tapes, though. Whatever gets you through the night is my mantra.
 
Can we talk about "boredom"? Because, honestly, I just don't have time for it right now! Yes, the days comprise so many small, "starting over" baby steps that they would drive an unoperated person insane with boredom. But I am so so so focused on doing all I should be doing, not doing, trying to do it right and at the right pace so I can be back at work that I don't have "boredom" on my radar. I am bored, of course, but more with not being back to normal. Let me tell you, though, the kind of boredom post-op days bring you is not alleviated by going to the office and stressing out over all the work! :)
 
Peaches and LeeApril26 I used the pre op relaxation tape by Peggy Huddleston before my op, in hospital and in the early days but hardly ever heard it through as I used to drop off to sleep which sounds good but inevitably I would wake up once it was finished and then for some reason I couldn't get back off.
 
Maeve LeeApril26 TeeEm Peaches No patience gene, me too! Very well said. We should start An Impatience Club! But I'm too impatient to even wait for you to reply! :heehee: How did I know that I shouldn't have been up and at 'em so quickly? My first PT had me walking outside at week 2! Ouch. I had the impression that the more I did, the quicker I"d get better. Wrong! Now I have to just sit and wait. Or rather, sit, elevate, ice and wait. :)

Kim22 I really love your vision of looking toward next summer to do things! That certainly takes the pressure off, doesn't it? That's my new outlook now, too. Thank you. I was already feeling the pressure to figure out vacation this year, when I can't even walk a block without pain. I don't think I can do it. I don't think I should do it. Not yet.

sandybeach Elosarabrab I do think that you ladies who are on your second hip are being very, very smart about your recovery. You're being cautious, you're not rushing, and you seem to be doing a good job!

Peaches Yes, there is the boredom that drives me to do things, too. That's what's good about BoneSmart because you can spend a lot of time easily chatting with other people in the same or similiar situation. Great support, too. Patience is handy when boredom sets in.

Thanks for the meditation advice. I'll have to research those names for the iPad.
 
ByGosh I decided to look forward to next summer instead of this one after reading a post in another thread by Songlady.Her words just made sense to me and I immediately I felt less pressure and cheered up a little. Talking about vacations this summer I had some friends on the phone yesterday trying to persuade us to book a cruise on the Med for September but we decided not to book anything until I know I can enjoy it to the full and I wouldn't if my mobility was still compromised.When I retired 2 years ago we had booked a fantastic once in a lifetime trip to New Zealand but By the time the trip came round I was having problems walking due to the pain from a torn labrum so I spent a lot of the trip in a wheelchair My husband and I are looking at ways of enjoying this spring and summer without travelling far.

What a shame that your PT pushed you too fast in the early days when you should have been resting more. You will get there in the end it is a marathon not a sprint.I have to keep reminding myself the same mantra
 
ByGosh Peaches TeeEm Kim22 sandybeach Poppet bottomshollow As I reread this thread I am getting a bit worried. My at home PT has had me walking outside since 12 days post op. I'm up to about 4-6 blocks, mostly daily. She comes 3x a week. Today I was feeling tired and refused to go out, which she was fine with, but we started new exercises-bridging, quad and glute stretches and straight leg lifts. She also suggested light ankle weights. I seem to be tolerating all this, but I'm wondering if I am headed towards a problem? I have at home PT for this week and next, and then am supposed to start outpatient PT. I am eager to get strong but also concerned.
 
Maeve. I have the same problem but am trying to use them a couple of times a week.
 
LeeApril26 Don't do anything that you feel will hurt you or you're not ready for yet. You know your body the best. My PT gives me very limited and quite easy exercises to do, up until last week I didn't go to PT. My healing was just me stretching and moving around on my own. MY PT had me doing way too much with my first hip replacement and I had muscle spasms and pains. With my second hip I haven't had any of those issues, I think it's because I don't push myself. My hips will catch up and in 6 months I will be doing everything even if I don't have all those exercises going on now.
 
LeeApril26 I think the most important thing you can do is listen to your body. If it hurts, or makes you sore or swollen during or after, you did too much. We're all eager to get strong and recover, maybe I was just too eager and over did it? I'm not entirely sure, I can't pinpoint one particular thing that caused my groins to act up, but I do know that when I started to do things, I did alot. Plus I had both hips done. I think that makes a difference.
And who knows what type of manipulation I had during my surgery? Maybe something made me more likely to get inflammation. I know I was in alot of pre-op pain with inflammation so perhaps the tissues were still angry? Who knows? I wish I did!
I'm sorry you're worried! :sorry: I certainly don't want to cause you any distress. Many people on this forum recover without any problems. I think if you feel good, aren't sore or in pain when you have PT or after it, you're OK. You'll know if you do too much if you pay attention to your body's signals. Again, I'm so sorry to have caused you any worry. Didn't mean to!
 
LeeApril26 I'm partial weightbearing on crutches and not even allowed to walk yet, so cant really comment as such, but I actually found the courage and watched the THR on youtube a couple of days ago and it is really brutal with a lot of slicing of muscles and cutting of ligaments and tendons that all have to be reattached ! no wonder everyone is so sore and swollen afterwards. I can imagine these structures will take time to heal properly so dont do anything that causes you pain or discomfort . I would have thought bridges are a bit much this early post-op.
 
ByGosh. Don't feel sorry. I am really grateful you shared. It prompted me to ask questions and will make me less "compliant." I am going to delay putting weights on my ankles for a couple of weeks thanks to your thread?
TeeEm sandybeach. I did the bridging on a very firm couch that my husband put on risers. I can't imagine getting up and down from the floor. I am too scared to watch the surgery on YouTube. My surgeon said my operation was difficult and he also my repaired uneven legs. I am pretty surprised at how much I can do, and don't want to hurt myself,
 
LeeApril26 I dont know how much information PTs are given. She might not know that it was a difficult surgery, so dont let her push you more than you want to. Great having legs the same length though isnt it. I keep looking in the mirror and marveling that Im no longer leaning to one side like the tower of Pisa . :snork:
 
Lenora, your PT is having you do more than mine is. I can't imagine doing that bridge, and I am 3.5 weeks post op and as far as I know, my THR was "routine." My PT backs off whenever I say something hurts that doesn't feel "right," like sometimes my knees will hurt BAD when she tries to start me doing full stair steps the normal way. So she backs off and finds a smaller step for me to practice on. She's good like that. But she seems to think a person can do more at first, as in she thinks office workers can start work at 2-3 weeks post op. I think you are wise to refuse to do things if it's a day you feel you should not. So many people on this site talk about the slow and steady pace being the best. It's hard, though. I too think that if I just work harder and harder, I will get stronger and stronger.

TeeEm, I was just wondering myself how much info PTs have about our surgeries. Thank you for sharing about the surgery video. I don't yet have the guts to watch it though.

I am having very mixed feelings about outpatient PT right now. I think the stress of figuring out how to get there and back and then worrrying about the PT giving me too much to do and thus setting me back is giving me pause. I can't afford any setbacks as I am slated to be perfect when I return to work in 2.5 weeks.

This conversation reinforces whY I really don't have the time to be "bored." I am too worried to be "bored" right now.

I hope everyone has a good day, at her own pace!
 
TeeEm. Have legs the same length is amazing! My son always said I walked like a Weeble (Weebles wobble but they don't fall down-1980s toy). I used to roll to the right. Now I do the heel toe chant to remind myself I can walk evenly. Obviously still with the cane.
I can do the bridging on the bed, but the straight leg lift is a huge strain so not doing it, and waiting at least a week before I try the ankle weights. I do want to strength my knees as they really suffered by my inactivity from the hip. It is very hard to balance all this.
Peaches. My PT is agreeable as well, and she says she has had many patients who are reluctant to do any exercise. Since I am open to it, I think she is building on my willing ness in some way. This conversation has helped me realize that I am in charge of me. Same for you regarding outpatient PT. I guess you could do this in stages. Get back to work and see how it goes before stating more PT? I share your concerns about walking normally on the stairs. Am in no hurry to try that!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom