THR Hokey cokey OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elosarabrab I think I had trouble for years, I had to with all the arthritis and bone spurs, they didn't just appear overnight. My primary doctor couldn't believe I didn't have pain for a lot longer than I did. My pain came over a matter of a couple weeks. I had lost a lot of ROM in my right hip over a couple years, I thought it was weight gain or just not being more physical or just plain age. I went quickly from being able to do everything to doing almost nothing in a matter of a few weeks and didn't know what was wrong. I don't anyone who has had hip replacement to know how their hips went downhill...again thank you for sharing with me.
 
sandybeach and Elosarabrab, I find reading your exchange about sleep and work very helpful. I'm still medicating at night, because I am hurting by then, so I'm sleeping the sleep of the drugged (with wild, vivid dreams!) but I'm sure it'll soon be time to start weaning off the nighttime meds.
I only had the one hip done this year, so I was at work until the day before the surgery, but I am having trouble imagining myself back at it, too. Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one!
 
Songlady I am 10 days ahead of you and I am not looking at going back to work for a least 2 more weeks and I think I will extend it a week more. I just want to feel ready to go back. I worked up to my surgeries also. I worked up to the day before my first one and then between them I went back to work for 2 weeks. I wasn't ready to be there long term but for 2 weeks I figured I could handle that. This time I know when I go back I am there from then on so I'm really going to make sure I can handle it first. I still get tired when out when I'm away from home so that's an indication that I'm not ready too. I also still feel clumsy getting around even with the aid of a cane.
 
Barbara, I've been reading your thread. You really went through the red tape nightmare.
That is added stress that none of us needs.
I echo your feelings about not wanting to go back to work till ready. My work mates/bosses
were sympathetic one day, not so much the next. I just think lay people don't understand this
condition. They see someone walking after surgery a few steps and smiling and they think that's how it is all the time.
 
Peaches, It is hard for people to understand what we go through physically and emotionally. We all come across the well meaning people, who know someone who had the op and were tap dancing off the operating table sort of stories. We just have to take our own pace. We all have different recoveries even my two surgeries I have seen differences between them. In the end the hip is the boss. We cant rush it.
 
The "tap dancing off the table" really makes me laugh! I might shamelessly steal that from you the next time a well meaning pal wants me to say things are going so great, I'm ready to audition for a geriatic musical on Broadway.
We should perhaps start a thread here on bonesmart on the craziest "miracle stories" we have been told.
 
Peaches Elosarabrab, I heard a few of the miracle recoveries too. I even saw a video of a man who at two weeks post surgery was, squatting down and standing back up and hopping up on a table and bending his knees and legs all over the place. My sister said she bowls with a man who had hip replacement that never missed bowling, they bowl every other week. I'm 4 weeks out, I know I would hurt something if I tried bowling right now. Everyone is different, I was out of commission too long for the miracle recovery.
 
Elosarabrab, sandybeach and Peaches I had a good laugh when I read your comments about the amazing recovery stories I have had some disbelieving looks when I have tried to explain the realities of recovering from a hip replacement as it seems like they have all heard one of those tap dancing stories A lot of people don't seem to realise that we have had major surgery and how very traumatic it is to the body !
 
Elosarabrab, Peaches, sandybeach and Kim22, I so agree. Here I am, my surgeon saying I'm doing so great, and most of the time I couldn't conceive of walking 5 feet without the cane! I went into a store with my husband the other day (we were dropping off prescriptions for more pain meds for me) and I found all the movement in there made me suddenly incredible dizzy. That was horribly frightening!
What pleases me is that once or twice now I've had moments when it's all felt fine, and I've hoped that has been a glimmer of what life will be like by next summer!
 
Hi Songlady I so agree with your last sentence and reading this has made me appreciate those times when I have felt normal giving me a glimpse of how it will feel when the good days come back even if I have to wait until next summer. I must hold up my hands and admit that I did have unrealistic expectations regarding recovery times and was not prepared for the inevitable set backs on the way .
 
Elosarabrab...you give encouragement to those of us a couple of weeks behind you. I cannot wait for my first outing. This weekend has been drab and cold, so I do not mind being in, but it is supposed to go from the 40's today, to 80 on Wed.! I am sure that I will feel a little cooped up then. I am not used to being home for more than a day. I am on day 5. Feeling good. Once I am up, have been up and downstairs for the day. Doing well on one pain pill 2-3 times per day. Went 11 hours last night. I understand the stiffness. Very tight, little warm and red at my incision sight, and still unable to lift my left leg. Nice to look down at my leg and not see my leg and foot completely turned in. The body is an incredible healer.
Happy Mother's Day to all the Mother's out there:flwrysmile:
 
Mamarey, now I have had the second op I am doing much better. The range of movement in the right leg that I had done first is the worst at the moment. I had years of pain with that one so there has been more damage and loss of muscle tone. I can raise the left leg but not the right. I haven't been walking much outside but I try and walk about the house going up and down stairs a few times. I think the main thing is listen to your body, sleep when you need to and keep on top of the pain.
 
Elosarabrab I'm so glad things are going along smoothly for you with your second hip! :) Sensible advice about listening to our body, etc. Unfortunately, I pushed myself early on with a week of MD appts I felt I had to keep, and am still feeling the effects with soreness and pain in the groins. It seems whenever I start to feel better and do anything, I'm back to the beginning again. It's hard being patient, but I see now there is no rushing this process of healing. You're right, the hip IS the boss!
 
ByGosh, Having patience is the hardest thing. You feel good and want to be up and doing things. You do too much and bam back to ice and pain meds again. I think the vast majority of us will admit to overdoing things so you are in good company :console2:
 
Elosarabrab I so agree with you when you say patience is the hardest thing. I have now decided to look to next summer to be fully recovered enough to do the thingsI want to do so anything earlier would then be a bonus.It seems like those going through this for the second time have more patience and have learnt from the first time.Good on you !
 
I think I was conceived without the patience gene but with a double dose of the control freak gene. Not the best combination.
Perhaps ByGosh and Elosarabrab and Kim22 we are at that stage in our recovery where this is common?? Such a lot of early healing and strengthening going on that a plateau is bound to happen? That's my hope anyway.
I think I am too focussed on the need to be fit and mobile and pain free by 20 August fir our big trip. I sort of expect some stiffness and soreness but also good mobility. I need to forget that pressure and trust in the healing process. Someone needs to program my inner voice! :sigh:
 
Maeve. I was also born without the patience gene. Have been using relaxation/mediation CDs both before and after surgery. They are hugely helpful when stress, anxiety or impatience hit. I have never been able to meditate or sit still unless I'm reading, but these help. Peggy Huddleston and Belleruth Naperstak make them and are on Amazon.
 
Yes LeeApril26,
I have quite a few meditation apps on my ipad and was good at doing a relaxation each night!
Now I just need to find the patience to start again! Lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom