THR Hokey cokey OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Songlady. I was taking tramadol pre surgery and had weird dreams then, too, and some constant dizziness. maybe I will try melatonin and magnesium and see if that helps.
 
Elosarabrab great update! Wonderful that you're done with sticking yourself and I think ditching the stockings must feel sooooooo good! Turkey has tryptophan (I think) and is the cause of the Great American Thanksgiving Coma, a well-documented phenomenon which happens during the football games after the meal. I don't know about the white bread or lettuce. I tried img melatonin years ago, to keep me asleep at the 90 minute mark. I heard voices before I fell asleep, and woke up anyway. Turned out the voices were dreams-- so, yeah, same as you! I resorted to a small dose of valium which has given me 4 straight hours for a long time. Love it. After that, maybe one hour then catnaps.

I'm finding kneeling on my operated side knee, is sore and the knee feels really tight, as if it's swollen especially if I try to sit back onto my heels! Not sure if that's normal?
haha Littlejem I already learned about that! My normal way to get onto our couch is op knee kneel, and curl into it to sit (I get into bed the same way, and nearly did that last night!). I accidentally started that gesture just a bit ago-- yowtch! Yes, all tight and 'swollen". Since I had anterior, I have this enormous charlie horse in my quad-- that will take some stretching out when it's time. I love sitting right on my heels, it's a lovely stretch. So I bet it's perfectly normal :)
 
I'm finding kneeling on my operated side knee, is sore and the knee feels really tight, as if it's swollen especially if I try to sit back onto my heels! Not sure if that's normal?
Kneeling?????? I haven't done that in years, Ditto sitting on heels. I don't think I am ready for that yet.:skep: If I attempt it I'm not convinced I could get up again. Another thing to work towards.
I slept better last night. I went to bed 1.30am and slept through to 6am Ed went off to work so I went back to sleep till 10.30am.
 
zauberflöte so that's why all us Brits fall asleep on Christmas afternoon and I thought it was too much booze!! :heehee: Sorry Kim22 I take back my jest, apparently turkey really does help you to sleep, one of those weird but true things !! Oh dear Elosarabrab you not being able to kneel for a long time sounds bad, I have found kneeling easier than crouching for many years, although I do need something for support and to help heave me up. Your sleeping pattern still isn't good is it, you had a good long sleep but went to bed very late. I could easily go to bed and sleep at 9 each day but have to force myself to stay up a bit later. :thud:
 
Elosarabrab "bad sleep pattern" or not, you got a good sleep, and to me that counts alot! :) You might feel human for awhile! I'm sorry you h!ave been not able to kneel for so long-- it might come back with practise, I hope (that's if you want!) I wand to both kneel and squat-- need the squat to clean litter boxes and just to feel fit! I've been bending over to do the litter boxes for over a year I think, and I'm so afraid I'll throw my back out!
Littlejem I inherited my mother's 9:00 body-clock-driven natural bedtime, but for my whole career I've gotten paid for staying up past my bedtime. Gotta love it!
 
I'm finding kneeling on my operated side knee, is sore and the knee feels really tight, as if it's swollen especially if I try to sit back onto my heels! Not sure if that's normal?
Kneeling !!!!!! Wow. Well done you. Im scared to try in case I never get up again. ! The knee on my operated side feels a bit 'tight' as though it is a little swollen as well, although it doesnt seem to be.
A piriton tablet works well if you cant get to sleep.
 
Hi Barbara another sleep tip if you find turkey a bit heavy at bedtime I now take my Magnesium tablet at night with milk just before I turn in as its suppose to relax the muscles. Worth a try ?
 
Kim22, Peaches,zauberflöte, Songlady, Maeve,Liveringer,TeeEm, sandybeach, Littlejem anyone else who passes by.
Today is week six post op.
I am finally off all medication. I weaned off the strong stuff I needed pre op.:)
I have been sleeping on my side for the past week and sleeping better. I go to bed at 11pm sleep through to 7am. Not been taken off restrictions yet but it feels fine.
I had a go at kneeling on a chair it felt a bit strange but OK. I thought that would make it easier to get up again.
Walking is getting better. My left knee still complains some times but nothing major.I get back ache if I have been on my feet for a while but it settles after a 5 minute sit down.
 
Sounds like you're doing really well Elosarabrab and not taking any strong pain pain killers is something you never thought would happen? Being able to sleep right through now must feel wonderful, I think if you can sleep, it really helps to heal and helps to put you in the right frame of mind. Kneeling does feel strange TeeEm and my operated leg side knee still feels tight and swollen but it's getting there.
 
Elosarabrab I hope I have such a good 6 week report to give! :) Off all meds... 2 new hips, wonderful stuff!!!! Kneeling will come in time, too. And oh yes sleeping eight hours at a stretch! as Littlejem says, healing is going on then, wonderful wonderful :) I'm looking forward to my own 6 weeks after hearing yours.
Kim22 do you find that taking your mag right before bed helps things? I take some with breakfast and some with supper. If i take too much there is a digestive reaction which is welcome with the Percocet but not otherwise:heehee:
 
I switched taking my magnesium from morning to night, based on advise on BS and also take 3 mg of Melatonin to help me sleep. Just changed my magnesium time this weekend, so haven't found a difference yet
Suzanne
 
Elosarabrab What a fantastic 6 week report Barbara.Its a great milestone being off all strong pain meds and I bet you feel so much better getting 8 hours sleep at night.It sounds like your walking is coming on really well too so life is sweet now with your 2 new hips.
zauberflöte like Mamarey( Suzanne ) I have not noticed any difference from taking the magnesium at night.
 
Elosarabrab Kim22 TeeEm Littlejem Now I feel that my knees are normal. I have a feeling of swelling in both of mine when I kneel down. I wonder if our legs just stay a little swollen from the surgery for a while and it really shows up in our knees when we bend them to kneel. I have been kneeling on mine to weed, they felt tight but I did it anyway, it didn't cause them to hurt anymore or less. My knees sometimes do hurt but not usually.
 
Yay, Elosarabrab!! 6 weeks for both of us today! And you are off the painkillers - good for you! (I am still taing them occasionally for back spasms.)
You are sleeping on your side? Wonderful! I tried the other night, but it felt so odd after all these weeks on my back! :umm: I haven't tried kneeling, either. I am So impressed with your progress! Great report, thanks!!
 
Congratulations on your six-week mark, Elosarabrab! (No checkup from your OS?) And getting off the painkillers felt real good to me, too. Though I still have them "just in case" and still take Tylenol. Sleeping on my side was such a wonderful treat, just for some relief for a while from the killer "on your back" position. Kneeling? I'm skeered to try that right now. So glad you are doing so well!
 
I wonder if our legs just stay a little swollen from the surgery for a while and it really shows up in our knees when we bend them to kneel.
I read somewhere - I dont know if it was on here or somewhere else - that you can have a bit of residual swelling for up to 6 months ! The recovery from this surgery is a long long road it seems .
 
TeeEm and sandybeach the residual swelling would make sense, my unoperated leg knee feels tight but my operated leg knee does feel a lot tighter and I expect its swelling on top of not being used too much for too many years.
Elosarabrab I have bent from my back to pick up things for far too many years and will need to retrain my knees to work properly again, any suggestions for knee strengthening exercises that won't hurt the hip anyone??
 
TeeEm and sandybeach the residual swelling would make sense, my unoperated leg knee feels tight but my operated leg knee does feel a lot tighter and I expect its swelling on top of not being used too much for too many years.
Elosarabrab I have bent from my back to pick up things for far too many years and will need to retrain my knees to work properly again, any suggestions for knee strengthening exercises that won't hurt the hip anyone??

Hi Littlejem I am the same it's years since I bent down to pick things up from the floor I had really bad knee pain before the op in fact it was worse than the hip pain I still get it now when I do do much.I saw a very good private physio before the op and he told meit was a case of working on the quads which are the muscles that support the knees.The 2 exercises are one where you press your knee into the floor and the other is where you put a rolled towel under the knee and lift the leg up.I am rubbish at explaining so its probably better if we tag alexthecat. I hope you are doing ok
 
Thanks I'm just wishing my life away right now, Kim22, am I right in thinking you do these exercises lying on the floor on your back?
 
Thanks I'm just wishing my life away right now, Kim22, am I right in thinking you do these exercises lying on the floor on your back?

I remember that feeling but it will come round before you know it. Yes on your back.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom