THR Hokey cokey OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peaches, I get my post op check up on June 20th. If its the same as last time I get checked over by the senior nurse. I wont see the surgeon again unless there is something of interest in my case.
 
The 2 exercises are one where you press your knee into the floor and the other is where you put a rolled towel under the knee and lift the leg up.I am rubbish at explaining so its probably better if we tag alexthecat. I hope you are doing ok

I think you're talking about the quad set exercise. It looks like this:

[Bonesmart.org] Hokey cokey OK


I'm not sure what the other exercise is that you mentioned. I would however recommend graduating to something like this, when you are able:
 
alexthecat thanks for these I give them a go, how long do you hold these for and how many times should I do them? I had a try and it's definitely harder to do on my unoperated hip side. Elosarabrab these might be good for you, we'll have you kneeling yet!! :heehee:
 
Try 2 sets of 15 reps with no hold. If that's hard, you can work up to that. If it's easy, hold for 5 to 10 seconds.

Once you can do that, you've mastered the first exercise and can give that up. When you can do that with the second exercise I showed, report back and I'll tell you how to progress from there.
 
Thanks alexthecat Do you think I can start these at the moment as I am still experiencing groin pain from rectus femoris tendinitis ?
 
The first one is a physio exercise that most THR patients in the US start in hospital immediately after surgery. I think you'll be fine with that one. The second is a little more advanced. You can try it and, if it hurts, save it for later. I wouldn't expect either of these to bother your rectus femoris.
 
I saw a very good private physio before the op and he told meit was a case of working on the quads

I was told the same thing by an OS and a PT - that the quads help out the knees. Also the OS said that the first place a knee swells is at the back of it, maybe that's why it feels tight when you kneel down and then sit back on your heels, because you're pressing that area? Littlejem
An exercise they gave me for the quads was the straight leg lifts, lying on your back, with the quad muscle tightened up. Hold it for 10 seconds and repeat x 10. She said you don't have to lift the leg high at all, even a 3 -6 inches is good. One leg at a time. It can feel sore on the op leg groin, though.

Thanks for those illustrations alexthecat - they're very helpful. I find the one where you press the knee into the bed hard to do for some reason, or uncomfortable feeling.

Glad you're doing so well @6 weeks Elosarabrab . Great progress. :)
 
ByGosh & Kim22 I find the pushing the knee down exercise quite easy and the leg lift from alexthecat easyish until I start to hold it so it's obviously working!! I'll try the other one though thanks!!
 
Littlejem, Kim22, ByGosh, alexthecat.
When I do the exercise pushing the back of the knee in to the bed that is fine both legs.
The lying down straight leg lift is ok on left leg but I cant do it on my right leg.
The leg lift while sitting is a little easier my right side raises a little. I will have to keep trying as I have years of damage on that side to correct.
 
Elosarabrab Barbara, try this for your left leg. You need to start slow with the leg lift, bend your right knee and your left knee slightly more extended (not straight but lower bent thent the right) heel tap do about 15-20 whatever you can handle). Do this maybe the first few days, then lower that left knee a little more and to the same. You do this until you have reached a straight leg it might take you a total of a 1 or 2 depends on the discomfort level. When you get to the straight leg level you might only be able to do 10 reps but increase that each time you do it (you'll know). I hope it helps you it sure did with me and I continue those not only in therapy but at home each day.
 
Josephine, Since I have been off the morphine that had me bunged up for months my BM's have been loose. It will be two weeks this Saturday. Am I right in thinking this will settle by itself or should I speak to my GP?
I couldn't find any information on this as all the side effect info is about while taking MST not when you stop.
 
Try Drugs.com. It's by far the best online resource. It has some information here. Must say I never before knew that it caused constipation but ya live and learn!
 
Elosarabrab Do you think she didn't catch that you're loose now and not constipated?
I'm sure you've tried the usual things that they say when kids get diarrhea (works for us, too) - like bananas, white rice, applesauce, tea and toast, avoid roughage and dairy until it gets better, minimal fruits and veges, no fruit juice. Doesn't sound like much to eat, does it? That's for people with real diarrhea, maybe you're just a little, little... I'm sure that Poppet has some natural remedies, though.
Maybe the intestines just need to regulate themselves again after been sleepy for so long?
 
Josephine, While on MST I was constipated but since I weaned off them BM's are loose. I looked on the link you gave me but again all the info on side effects is while you are taking the drugs nothing to say effects after you come off. Except when you come off too fast and get withdrawal symptoms. I was supervised by GP and gradually reduced them so that's not it.
Littlejem, I have taken imodium and they do work for that day only to start again next day.
ByGosh, I have been trying to avoid roughage as you suggested but no joy. I was hoping my body would adjust back to normal once I was off all the pills. I was on them for 7 months so it probably will take time.
 
I went for a walk at the coast which is a short drive from here. The sun was shining and I took my time with plenty of rest stops. It was good to be out in the fresh air and sunshine. I didnt go down on to the sand as I still use a stick. My hips were OK it was my lower back that complained. I am taking it easy back home now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom