THR Hokey cokey OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to get my sleep pattern figured out, I don't know if I have to deprive myself for a few days and then I will sleep all night. But I just don't sleep all night anymore. Once I'm back to work I sure hope I do otherwise I will have some long, tired days.​

sandybeach, I am returning to work next Tuesday and my sleep pattern is still awful. I slept thru the nite just 1 nite this week. I am trying a combination of (1) 200mg magnesium and (1) 1mg melatonin. Saw this on Dr Oz website. I'll try anything. This lack of sleep thing makes me very crabby!
 
Hi anniemg! I drive by you whenever I go from CT to Maine! I'll wave next time! sandybeach, Elosarabrab (and whoever else is in this conversation.... if I go back a few pages to look I'll lose this post...) I have taken melatonin on and off for several years; my son recommended it. I take 5 mg. Usually that really does the trick.... that or benedryl. I've also used "Midnite" which is a mix of chamomile, lavender, lemon balm and melatonin, and it's done well for me .....but gosh, nothing helped me last night! lol.
I am hoping that when I am able to be a bit more physically active, that will help me sleep better.
I have a friend who quotes classical literature about sleep patterns, citing references to "first sleep" and "second sleep" and "the night watch" (even in hymnody: "short as the watch that ends the night, before the rising sun.") Her theory is that instinctively, adults simply don't sleep through the night, probably as a safety thing from prehistoric times. This thinking doesn't help me feel more rested, but maybe I feel a little less abnormal for lying awake in the wee hours!:mcoffee:
 
Hi Songlady...pick me up on your way to Maine next time (LOL)! Thanks for the info. I will check out Midnite as well. Hope your back spasms get better soon or u will have no choice but to give in the "butt massage"! Take care.
 
Elosarabrab I loved Caturday!! Thanks for thinking of me :)
I've been cathcing up, sounds like things are coming apace, a little up, a little down.

Apparently black cats are harder to re home.
Black cats (we have one too, a neurotic part-siamese who I never should have agreed to take) also make me very much more nervous at Halloween. We keep our cats in that night and sometimes the night before, but I'm all jittery about them till I see them all curled up safe and sound the next day.
I'm in an ok sleep place, but I'm so far behind you all that it certainly will change. I'm used to waking up several times a night anyway; when the kids were little and I was up more than down, I'd remind myself as I lay there knowing that the second I fell asleep the baby would know it and cry again, that I would kill for this quiet lying down time during the day, so may as well enjoy it.
We have the most gorgeous weather you could want today-- perfect for hiking (next year!) and kayaking (next year!!). Hope everybody has a great weekend, and weather to match :) :)
 
sandybeach, you meant your cat is a sun worshipper sorry for being dim. I cant blame the meds any more as I haven't had any since Saturday night. Ed says Quinn is a vampire puss as he prefers to be out after dark. With being mostly white he doesn't like full sun.:heehee:
I am 5 weeks post op today. I took the TED's off early I couldn't stand them any more.
 
Songlady. Does melatonin give you odd dreams? I tried some Somnapure the other night as I am also having difficulties with back sleeping and the dreadful pillow between my legs. Spent the whole night in a semi sleep having Twilight Zone type dreams of being tortured. (Which is how I feel sleeping this way.) do you ever have that reaction? It had 3mg melatonin. Thanks!
 
Elosarabrab, I didn't have to wear the TED's but I did have the compression socks on for 10 days and I couldn't wait to get rid of them. I'm 10 days ahead of you and these last 5 days or so I really feel so much better with walking and energy levels. I get sore on some days from over doing the day before but I haven't felt myself going backwards.
 
Week 5 post op. No more pain pills, no injections (blood thinners) no TED's. :yay:
Sleep still a problem I fall asleep OK but wake up a couple of hours later. Then its cat naps after that :yawn:
I will have to get some lavender to try. I tried milky drinks and banana as I heard somewhere they have something in them that helps you sleep.
I am walking outside with one stick. The weather was lovely for one day then went back to grey and horrible. Left knee still grumbles at times like when I stand up or go up stairs.
I don't know if its because the meds bunged me up or what but now I am not on them I have the opposite problem :sigh:
Still no grinding bone pain so I have no regrets having the hips done :ok:
 
TeeEm
Yes I had both 30 days of injections and supposed to be 6 weeks of TED's but I ditched them as I couldn't stand them any more. I think my surgeon was just being over cautious having me do both.
Yep got bruises to show for injections.
 
Elosarabrab now I heard that bananas give you energy which is exactly the opposite!!! We've been a little luckier with the weather than you, in fact we had quite a nice weekend, today though, oh dear, rain, rain and more rain!! Do you think you have a problem with your knee or is it coming from your hip?
 
Littlejem, I am hoping the knee will settle down once the muscles get stronger. It doesn't hurt all the time just when it is under pressure.
Re bananas I heard they were a slow release of energy but also something in them that helps sleep. Well they didn't help me sleep so back to the drawing board :scratch:
 
Elosarabrab Hi Barbara it's good news that the injections are over. What a relief and with regards the TEDs I was lucky not to have them. I read somewhere that a turkey and lettuce sandwich made with white bread may help with sleep.I assume you have tried milk.I hope you have a better night
 
LeeApril26, I have not had dreams from melatonin; in fact, I used to always have vivid dreams and remember them until I started taking melatonin.... but WOW did I ever have wild dreams with tramadol after the surgery - !!
Isn't it weird how we all can have different reactions to these things?
Elosarabrab, hooray! I was able to give up the TEDS at my 2 week appointment, partly because I only had swelling at the incision site (last time I was hugely swollen all the way down to my foot!) My OS told me to put the sticking back on if I had increased swelling without it, but luckily I didn't. It's great to be done with that and the blood thinners, isn't it? :)
 
Kim22 A turkey and lettuce sandwich on white bread helps you sleep, no really?? :heehee: Elosarabrab Sorry the bananas didn't work, you could try the Bach flower remedies, they do a night rescue one, it might help you? I'm finding kneeling on my operated side knee, is sore and the knee feels really tight, as if it's swollen especially if I try to sit back onto my heels! Not sure if that's normal?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom