Guest viewing is limited

THR Hokey cokey OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
ahhh sunshine, the feel-good gift! Elosarabrab I'm so happy that you got that walk in. Coastal sunshine is somehow different, I think. :) :):SUNsmile: :SUNsmile:
I'm divided on the non-loose stool issue. I think both that you ought to call GP, and that he'll tell you to take imodium, and call again in a week or two. The BRAT diet actually does work wonders-- bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast --in that order according to my kids' old pediatrician. I was never able to follow that part, but it did work very well.
Kim22 I looked up Seahouses-- it sounds very magical! have a wonderful time, and I do hope your weather holds :)
 
Elosarabrab How nice that you got to the beach! Good for you. I just love the beach. Is the weather warm for you now? We're into our summer here, you probably are, too. We've vacationed at the beach many times, and always enjoyed it. I wish we could go this year, but probably not. I'm using Kim22's saying 'by this time next year...' then I don't feel so bad about not traveling someplace this summer for a vacation.

I'm still thinking of your 'looseness' ....As a nurse, I know that people who stop using something like MS often have diarrhea as part of the body's response to the stopping of the medication. It can be a little bit of a 'withdrawal' reaction. The intestines have a lot of nerve endings in them, and are very sensitive. So if they've been inactive for months from the medication, and it is stopped, the nerves get a little excitable - just like if any of us stop our pain meds, we can get nervous. I'm sure you came off of them as recommended and not quickly, but I wonder if the gut needs more time to regulate itself again? But whether that's it or not, giving the doc a call like Littlejem and Kim22 said, is a good idea. Because he can recommend something that's safe to take to help control these symptoms, until your intestine can get itself back on track. Let me know what happens, okay? Hope it straightens out for you. :)

Kim22 I haven't been checking in with you lately, but how have you been? I'm ok at the moment. I had to rest, ice and take some pain meds after my 3 days of going to the pool. I felt better today, so tried it again, being very careful not to overdo at all. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that maybe I can slowly get better. I hope! And I hope that you're feeling better, too. There are a few of us around here who have lingering pain. Poor luluohio is suffering with her bursitis and is discouraged, too. It's very unfortunate, but it's best to stay positive and keep thinking it will get better, because it's bound to. The human body has an amazing ability to heal, sometimes it just takes "the tincture of time" as one doctor once said to me. Enjoy your get away, I hope you have great weather and a lovely time. Keep me posted on how your doing.
 
Elosarabrab A walk by the coast in the sunshine is just what the doctor ordered, pure medicine!! I sometimes miss the coast, I was born and brought up 5 minutes away from the beach and spent most of my childhood school summer breaks either on the beach or at one of the 2 outdoor bathing pools that were on the promenade. Kim22 We only go now if we go away for a break so it's nice to be booking in a late summer break down in Devon, hope you enjoy your break. :)
 
ByGosh, Thanks for the info. I dont have to dash to the toilet its just when I go its loose still. I will speak to my GP if it doesn't settle down.
zauberflöte@Kim22 Peaches Littlejem Songlady TeeEm sandybeach Liveringer
I went to the local park for my walk today. I had plenty of rest stops but I feel stronger each time I walk. Again it was sunny so I am trying to make the most of it.
 
Elosarabrab love the "feel stronger every time I walk" part! :) I am finding the same thing these days--this morning I just jaunted out on a walk that last Sunday I needed my husband's moral support for! 3 houses up the street, and back...

Our retirement home is on the ocean...
ah Poppet all you are doing is ensuring that you have alot of guests when you retire, you know:angel:
 
Hi Elosarabrab - how lovely, to walk in the park! It is raining here so hard that I am wondering if we shall need to make use of the canoe stored on its side on the edge of the garden...! Kidding aside, there are some flood warnings around, though we (so far!!) have never been affected by such. I'm glad I had a chance to putter around the yard yesterday and supervise Songman as he gardened!
I am the Queen of Looseness - what a claim to fame! :rotfl: But I have a condition which, from time to time, causes a lot of diarrhea. I liked what ByGosh said; the gut is pretty sensitive. During a flare-up of my issue, I have a limited diet. These are things I have from time to time avoided: salads, anything raw; fruit, any quantity of tomato-based things (including salsa), corn or other fibrous veggies, gassy things like beans.... (which sort of leaves me relying on something like the BRAT described by others.) I also take a psyllium powder "laxative" like Metamucil because it
provides bulk and therefore SOLIDIFIES things for me rather than acting as "laxative."
It might make good sense to talk to your GP; he might have advice.
Keep us posted. You are doing so well in so many ways!! :friends:
 
ByGosh, Elosarabrab, zauberflöte, Songlady, TeeEm, @Littlegem and Poppet Yes we are very lucky to be close to a beautiful coastline and I am really looking forward to going back up again. The last time we were there was the weekend before my surgery and the place was covered in snow.We have waited until now because of the restrictions as I was told to keep the toilet raiser for 3 months and didn't fancy transporting a one up there.It will be lovely to be able to do more walking than I have done for ages which brings me to your question Bygosh I must say there has been some improvement.The day after my pool visit followed by a walk around the city of Durham for lunch and to change my phone I had a lot of pain so spent another day in the depths of depression but things improved as the week progressed and yesterday I was able to go shopping for new shoes and managed really well.I still have aches and pains but I think they are due to using muscles and ligaments that I haven't used for a while and walking definitely getting easier.I still have tendinitis with groin pain but that too is improving so I am a happy bunny today.I only hope that I am not speaking too soon.I hope everyone is healing well
 
Great news Elosarabrab that you're walking and enjoying it. And as zauberflote said, feeling stronger each time is the best part! I'd say bully for you, but was just informed that it's rather rude and snarky, which I didn't know and am glad to find out. I thought it meant good for you, as in praising someone and sharing their accomplishment.

Either way, I hear you about the rain.Songlady . It's been streaming down all day. The grass is nice and green, though!
TeeEm You'll be able to enjoy your trip to the beach next time you go. I have some unfortunate memories of a few travels that were clouded by pain, too. So I look forward to revisiting those places to re-do them in a happier fashion.
 
Elosarabrab it's good to hear you're able to get out and do some walking and didn't hurt too much. I have been away from using a cane for a couple weeks now. Sometimes I think I still should use it but in my mind I think by not using it, it will make my legs stronger. I need to get out and really walk, if this weather ever straightens out I am going to do it. We have had the worst winter and now spring in years. We are seriously thinking about putting our furnace on...it's been in the 50's with lots of rain. When we do get warm weather I think it will come fast, strong and furiously with lots of heat and humidity. Kim22 it sounds like you're doing really well too. The muscle and tightness in my hips are what I suffer from. I need to get the ROM in my new hip better but it's still tender to force too much yet.
 
Elosarabrab So glad you enjoyed your walk in the park, it's the simple things that you miss when you can't do them isn't it and a simple walk is one of them. :) I hear you had good weather up there yesterday while we had a nasty patch right over where I am, we had a grey sky all day and horrid rain for a few hours, fabulous for a day off work!! :sad:
 
Hi, Elosarabrab ... sorry you have been "loosey-goosey" as we say, but hope your GP will shed some light for you. Your coastal walk sounds wonderful! So happy for you. I can almost visualize it. And the sun was shining. May you have many more such walks. And i'm glad that evil troll, Mr. Lower Back Pain shut up after you sat down. I hate him!
 
Littlejem sandybeach zauberflöte Songlady Red Shoe Peaches LeeApril26 octopus Kim22 @ByGosh @TeeEm glynis
The weather has been lovely these past couple of days. I feel I have to make the most of it as it doesn't last long. Last summer didn't happen. We got rain, rain and more rain. TeeEm I hope the weather is good when you come back for a visit. This time will be more enjoyable for you being able to walk without pain.

i'm glad that evil troll, Mr. Lower Back Pain shut up after you sat down. I hate him!
I am with you on that one Peaches. I used to say the hip pain was an evil dwarf with a sharpened spike ramming it in my hip. Then he brought his family for the other hip. I am very happy they have been evicted.:happydance:
Kim22 new shoes even flat ones feel good. I haven't worn heels in ages due to hips and balance issues. I hope your pain settles soon.
Littlejem, I hope you have the sun today. Its miserable when its wet and cold.
 
Today is week 7 post op. I am trying to walk more outside. I am sleeping better now I am sleeping on my side.
My left knee is giving me trouble I get a sharp pain up the left side of the knee when I walk. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does it stops me in my tracks.
 
Elosarabrab, Sounds like you have made good progress in seven weeks. I will be five weeks tomorrow. Sleep is still difficult for me. I usually fall asleep (take 3 mg of melatonin), but every night I awake between 1:00-3:00 and then am up for an hour or an hour and a half. It is exhausting. I am able to sleep on both sides too. I always have a pillow between my legs. Surgically side is still very tender. I also have found some knee pain on the outside of my knee on my surgical side. This began as I began to get around better, and with spending more time walking without my crutch. It is also a part of the IB which runs down the outside of the leg. That area in me, is very tight, sore and tender. That is the area my PT is working on to improve my ROM. We have to remember how long we walked "wrong". Our bodies were doing so much compensating, with horrible gaits. I know in my case, my leg went through a lot of surgical trauma. My leg was lengthened and the OS had to do a lot of manuevering to realign my leg. As we begin to get around more normally, all sorts of muscles, tendons, nerves are being awakened. That is why the continue ice, elevation and pain control as needed are necessary. Hang in there. It truly is a long road to recovery.
 
You are posting such good news about your recovery, I'm glad that pain doesn't happen too often!!
I fell down the stairs yesterday, well my unoperated side foot slipped off the stair just where our stairs do a sharp turn and it made my operated leg bend far more than it wanted too and really gave me a shock, I'll be a lot more careful in future!! :yikes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom