THR Hitch & Get Along<

I do believe I read it on here that it's important to not let your brain learn that 'limp' or 'gait' but rather use a device to walk properly until it's mastered on its own. This being my 2nd week back to work, I am still bringing both the cane and crutches with me daily. Part of it is the perils of what we do and me not taking any chances of slipping and falling.
Here here! Totally agree....we need to do what we need to do to get rid of the limp, no matter how long it takes!

now I feel very wobbly using it. I'm thinking it's because neither of my hips is wanting to step up and do more than is necessary right now.
I think this is true for many double hippies! Just went to physio today and really recognize that although I'm doing well, neither of my hips want to step up and do more than necessary now.

I guess I'm rather stunned by some people thinking that the recovery for THR is a rapid couple of weeks thing? I realize they do so many as an outpatient now but good grief, the things they put your body through during that surgery is MAJOR. Perhaps I shouldn't be so modest and start showing off my frankenstein scars that run down each side of my hips??
Kind makes one want to walk around with our battle scars showing....just to stop the comments...the shock therapy approach :rotfl:

I have ZERO idea what to expect, no idea what to wear (I'm pretty darned modest still despite all of these surgeries and the fact I'm a grandparent).
I usually wear yoga pants with my "horse riding underwear"...French cut cotton elastic blend...sorry if that TMI for some...underneath. They are really boring, made by Jockey. I pull down the side of the pants for my staples out and steri-strips on while standing, with the side of my undies up a bit. I bought a couple of pairs of "riding undies" in a size too large for these surgeries. You are comfy in your shorts, just wear them, particularly if hubby is driving and can get you right to the door. You could even wear running pants over them. They would be pretty loose. For some reason yoga pants don't bother me. My incision is on the side, although supposedly posterior. Anyhow, hope that helps! Is your incision right at the front?

Thank you @Alitm - my incision is more in the front of my hip - approximately 6" long. I never really gave undergarments much thought until these hip replacements then it has been a constant "what is comfortable?" and "what should I wear that is easiest for these appointments?" My legs never usually get cold, I wear shorts every single day of the year (unless it's at night, then long pants are a must in the winter because the temperature drops considerably). I am a very casual person so sweatshirt, long sleeve running zip up jackets with my shorts are my "go to". Funny thing about the cold, after the fracture fix, I seem to run cold quite often! My poor husband has slept with the window open and ceiling fan going every single night (yes, including the winter) but THIS winter - the window is shut and the fan has been OFF. I'll be curious to see if once the wire and claw come out, I'm not as susceptible to the cold.

For now, I have almost finished decorating our mantel and have been icing the old hip(s) as I lounge by the fire this afternoon. Next up, the tree.

@NanaKP I am sorry you have been having to deal with the other shop owner's rude behaviour. So glad your Hubby stepped up and asked the guy to cease and desist with the comments. Enough is enough :bignono:

:wave: @NanaKP
Firstly, I am glad your DH did something to the rude chap.
Perhaps he did not mean to make you feel that way, but if that is the case...he needed to be told that his insensitive attempts at humor ARE hurtful to folks struggling..and maybe he will think of this in his dealings with others too.
Wouldn't feel bad about it at all.:nah:

I always where a dress to my followups...for same reason...so I could modestly slide up to just the parts he needed to see.
I too have dips...I'm a double dipper you know.
They are slightly curved incisions (anterior) so I feel like they look kind of like inverted parentheses!:giggle:

You are entitled to the grumpies every now and then. Just try not to "waller in it" for too long.
Between your surgery, and upcoming surgery...your anxiety might save to get the best of you.

All temporary...and we are here to cheer you on.:roseshwr:

Hi :hi: @NanaKP
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a lovely day on this milestone Wednesday.
Best of luck at your appt tomorrow also.
Let us know how it goes. :SUNsmile:

@Mojo333 that is sooo funny about the inverted parentheses - mine look like actual ones without being inverted. Perhaps the "dents" are common and mine isn't so bad. I will take the advice from you and @Layla about wearing a dress to these follow-up appointments. I think my discomfort at getting in/out of a low vehicle with a dress on made me wince a bit (especially valet parking when I'm trying to get the cane/crutch out of the front seat to steady me as I pull myself up), could be that I'm just more of a tomboy than I realized with very few graceful skills.

Spoke with one of my 5 sisters this morning and the pressure is mounting for me to get to my mom's in FL at the end of January. It is a nearly 4 hour plane ride then a 1 hour drive so I'm not totally sure I can manage it by then. As the youngest of the sister clan, I get a lot of pressure to do my part in getting there to visit our aging mother and I do try (several of my sisters do not work and are able to manage longer visits than I can swing). The last 2 years have been difficult to say the least with first my foot in a cast and then the old hips. (As an aside here's a little something that gave me quite the chuckle this morning - my sister was surprised that I needed a surgery to remove the hardware holding the fractured hip in place. We have often joked that she rides around on a unicorn most days but this gave my husband quite the laugh when I told him. His comment "did she think you would be able to pass it????")

Oy, the daily ins and outs of being a 'hippy'. :good-bad:

Happy 1 month anniversary! We made it! :fasthorse:

I hope the appointment goes well tomorrow.

I have a handy little gadget for getting in and out of the car (I have a low coupe). The car cane portable handle. This baby makes it much easier to get in and out of the car. Bonus points - most people are so busy checking it out that they don't notice what my dress is or isn't covering :wink:

did she think you would be able to pass it????")
Tell Jon that was seriously funny!
Well you shall be magically healed by that trip in January - just wish on your sisters unicorn.

Greetings - We met with "Dr Scar Fixer" (plastic surgeon) and he is a really nice fella. Great sense of humor and just overall kind. He laughed when I told him that I know there's no expectation of a perfect scar but I'd rather not be a "marble holder" for the grandsons in the years ahead, if at all possible. Everything looks to be set for next Friday so one week from tomorrow, I shall be claw and cable free!! Yippee!

@Layla and @Mojo333 - my thought of being cute in a dress went by the wayside as today it is a brisk 22 out with snow flurries. On went the leggings, 1/4 zip jacket and favorite (unused) running shoes. I was going to wear my shiny new Hunter boots but found they are just big (i.e. sloppy) enough to not drive comfortably. They work great for my laps in the garage and will be perfect for the cabin next spring but for driving - notta.

At home now - icing and shopping online for Christmas. Our stockings are hung by the chimney with care!

Attachments

• Christmas'18.jpg
    Christmas'18.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 158
:window: oops...forgot about the weather.
Glad you are home and snuggly !

Hi NanaKP!

It's BionicButt here... I was happy to hear that my story gave you hope and affirmed the explanation for your painful left hip! I'm glad you've scheduled the removal--will be a nice Christmas present for you. I would love to hear from you after your surgery and compare notes about the changes you noticed after the little nasty came out. I asked for it and it is an interesting conversation piece! Did you see photos of it on my blog? Truly scary.

Best wishes for your surgery. My experience is the removal is a non-event after the replacements. I'm in PT now and getting stronger all the time. Trying not to overdo in my exuberance about having my leg back under me!

Great news, you're ready to roll! It nice you like and are comfortable with Dr Scar Fixer.
Your Christmas decor looks great! So homey and welcoming.
Have fun relaxing and shopping online tonight.
@NanaKP

@BionicButt - I'm so happy to hear from you before I head under the knife again! I DID see your souvenir from your "removal" and you are spot on - SCARY. I haven't asked Dr. Hipster yet if I can keep mine but I'll try to remember to do that. I am quite relieved to know the surgery to remove it was pretty non-eventful, that is welcome words to my ears after the last 7 months. With our snow/ice on the ground that will exist through January, I will probably stick close to home (inside) but will do my own PT exercises that I am able to do. I won't start anything rigorous until I am sure I won't do any harm to myself. I am very anxious to see if my own discomfort from the cable will be gone when I wake up. There are times when I think "oh gee, maybe it really isn't too bad" then I start to walk or attempt to lead with that leg up the stairs and "WHOA, that really hurts!" comes rushing back.

Thanks for popping in! I will be sure to document and let you know how my own journey goes!

@NanaKP - I'll be thinking of you next Friday! I hope the surgery gives you the relief you need.

The mantle looks so festive. Wow, that is a lot of stockings hung by the chimney with care!

Tonight I had a phone call from Hipster - he has decided that I need another CT Scan on my left hip next week just to "be sure" everything looks okay before we take the hardware out on Friday. I have to say, I'm a little bit upset tonight. I had a CT scan in October and it showed that the GT fracture was healed 25%. He assured me that it was fine and nothing to worry about. Soooooo, why NOW is another CT scan needed? Everything is ready to go next Friday and NOW he thinks another scan is necessary?

Gah, am I overthinking this???? This left hip has been a problem child from the get go . . . seriously, even the plastic surgeon knew all about it and said "gosh, it sure has been a journey with that side, hasn't it?" He looked at the xrays and CT scans on Thursday while I was there . . . did he see something alarming that made Hipster rethink everything?

Oh dear Kim, that really stinks! Perhaps Hipster is being overly cautious, but has your best interest at heart? You have every right to be really upset, as it gets one's mind going a mile a minute worrying about why now for another CT scan? Did he tell you when you could have the CT scan?

I am like you and might want to overthink that the plastic surgeon looked at the x-rays and CT scans on Thursday and may have discussed with Hipster. I doubt very much a plastic surgeon would see something that an OS would miss. Perhaps the plastic surgeon thought it would be prudent to do one more check on the fracture and healing?Maybe it is he who is being overly cautious?

This last minute extra CT is hard to take. I can only imagine how much you want to have this all OVER so you can get on with your life. It has been going on for such a long time for you, not including the time your hips were going down hill and limiting your lifestyle.

I'll never forget when I got a message from my OS wanting to discuss my bilateral anterior surgery, TWO days before the surgical date. It put such dread in the pit of my stomach, and after the conversation, how frustrated I was that I had to switch over, although I knew it was in my best interest. I really feel for you :console2:. Sending you a huge cyber hug and tons of positive thoughts :praying::fingersx:.

Please keep us posted on when you will be having the CT, and know we are all here to see you through whatever next week has to hold @NanaKP.

Let them check and double check, I say.
Can't hurt...maybe needs another "view" as how to best get to it?
Really ...I have no idea if that would possibly be why...but if they feel like its best...

Thinking of you as I know you are ready to get this recovery on the road.:friends:

:hairpulling: How frustrating and unsettling to hear this 1 week before surgery. Although, with your history Dr Hipster may just be overly cautious. Let's hope for the best. Sending peaceful and calming thoughts your way.

I agree with Mojo33, best to be sure all is well before removing that cable... But, I know how scary it can be when you are all set for a surgery and then get told something like that! I'm visualizing you going in on Friday and zipping out in nothing flat like me, then being a new woman a few days later. You mentioned how hard stairs are. For me, that was better right away.

I understand you are in Colorado. What part? I was in Alamosa/Creede for 16 years. I remember those cold, snowy, icy winters! Yes, be extra careful as you do not want to fall down, particularly after that cable comes out. They must have asked me if I'd fallen down three different times before they would take mine out. I think you can ask them for the cable when they come in before surgery to speak to you. Wishing you all the best--I'll be thinking of you on the 14th!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back