THR Hitch & Get Along<

Thanks @Alitm, @Mojo333, @SwampHiker, & @BionicButt - I'm feeling a lot calmer today about the requested CT Scan. Stephanie, Hipster's right hand, will set it all up then call me tomorrow at some point. In the past, the scan has been the same day he has requested it. It does touch on a nerve to have any wrinkles pop up so I hope he is just being extra cautious (& I'm crossing my fingers that more healing has happened since the last one at the end of October - only 25% was healed and majority of the fracture showed to be "non-union"). I think that's how the report read, I'll have to go take a look at it today.

The plastic surgeon is a close cohort to Hipster - heck, Hipster called him while we were sitting in his office about doing the surgical closing and before we left the exam room, his office had called and scheduled my pre-op. It was obvious that the PS also knew the entire history when he came in although he asked us to go through it again. We told our girls yesterday that we really did like him a lot, he and I hit it off right from the beginning.

@BionicButt - we live in metro Denver (southeast Aurora). We have lived here for 36 years - we've loved Colorado but the amount of growth has really been wild. The traffic is horrendous!! I know everyone pictures Colorado as being snow covered majority of the time but I'll let you in on a little secret - our snow in the City doesn't last, our sky is bright blue with full sunshine 99% of the time. With that sunshine, it's plenty warm enough to wear shorts year around (and I do). We moved here from Northern IL/WI so we were shocked to be able to sit outside in January, February with only a light sweater for lunch!! The skiers regularly have the racoon eyes from their ski goggles and sunburns!! We get very cold temperatures for about 2 weeks mid-January and then of course, March & April are our snowiest months (blizzards). Though it can snow 2' one day, the next day you're out in short sleeves & shorts shoveling!!!!

Yesterday we celebrated our grandson's 1st birthday. Our daughters go ALL OUT throwing lavish birthday parties with no detail left unturned, yesterday was no different. It did mean that Nana was on her feet 95% of the 9 hours we were over there so I was TIRED and very, very sore last night when we got home. I went to bed at 9 p.m. with a fresh ice pack and a pain pill! Today I am still rather sore but we will spend our Sunday here at home setting up the tree.

Thank you again for all of the words of encouragement. I feel so much better just getting input from everyone on this forum because you all really DO know where I'm coming from. I appreciate you all so much! (PS @Alitm - I LOVE your new photo!!!)
 
Hi @NanaKP
I'm sorry to read of the new wrinkle but happy that you're rolling with it. Most often the things that really throw us and cause us anxiety turn out okay. I'll bet your OS is leaving no stone unturned, which is a good thing. You may also learn that the fracture is further along in the healing process, which would be an added bonus.

It sounds like you had a great time at your grandson's birthday. They're so cute at 1 yr old.
Hopefully today you're able to rest in between hanging ornaments on the tree. Enjoy and stay in touch.
Hugs
 
@NanaKP You know we'll be here waiting for some post CT scan news, and keeping our fingers and toes crossed for great news :).

Your grandson's b'day party sounded like fun...more for the adults and older kids at this stage. Enjoy a slower day decorating the tree!

Yep, that's me in horse gear, just having taken off my helmet from riding, loving my horses! Always funny when horse folk see each other out at gatherings outside of the barn or horse show/clinic. We are always amazed at how good we look in clean civilian clothing!!! :loll:
 
Hey there @Alitm - boy howdy can I relate about being seen in clean civilian clothing. Most of our customers see Jon and I only in our work clothes ever (his a uniform, mine - all black because . . . automotive repair shop = lots of grease and yuck!) so if we ever run into anyone outside of the shop, they nearly do not recognize us. When they see us really spiffed up (like my Avatar which was youngest daughter's wedding in '16), they darn near fall down!

So I'm wondering @BionicButt if you had much swelling after the wiring was all removed? I'm still icing my newest hip (5 weeks old) every chance I get and I feel like I still have swelling on my left side, like it has never fully gone away. Of course, the "small" dance moves that I have been doing around the kitchen with the dog have probably NOT helped but I just cannot help myself when Christmas music comes on. Yes, I should've learned my lesson last year at this time because said dance moves resulted in my landing back in the surgical boot for an extra 4 weeks TWICE - poor Podiatrist. I'm sure he sent a message to my OS in the spring saying "Good Luck with her, she's your problem now!" LOL

I was pondering the icing thing as I was trying to get comfortable last night. We had our 2nd preschool Christmas program to attend so I was already cold from being out and about but then came the ice pack and I had to go find the heating pad (just to warm up the bed). Pretty sure I'll be needing the full electric blanket this weekend if I need to add more ice to the left side.

Had the CT Scan this morning - is it a bad sign when the technician not only recognizes my name but also remembers the entire sequence of events since last spring (and I go to different facilities)???? Will probably find out tonight or early tomorrow if all is still on for Friday. :chinstroke::shrug:
 
Hi NanaKP
You're on my mind this morning so stopping by to wish you the best tomorrow.
Let us know when you hear if things are still happening on schedule.
Hope you'll be at peace with the decision, no matter which way it goes.
@NanaKP
 
Happy Thursday! Thank you @Layla for checking in! I just received a call from Hipster -- phone rang "Hey kiddo, it's Hipster here . . . ". Everything looks to be healing and he liked my progress when he saw me walking on Tuesday (I went to pick up scripts and he grabbed my arm and we headed down a long hall for a stroll). Ended the call saying "I spoke with the 'Scar Fixer' (my term) and if you're ready, it's game on girl!" Sooooooo, all is a go. I have my big fat Lab with me at work today as the house is being cleaned and they do NOT need Piper following them all over the house throwing herself at their feet every moment possible to be petted. Hoping I can get everything taken care of here today - she's a bit naughty thinking that every person who comes in the door is here to see her. :dogsniff::puppysmooze::catdance:

Ironically tomorrow is my dad's birthday so I'm pretty sure he will be watching over me from his spot in Heaven - probably will cheer me on with his favorite PBR!! My dad was always quite the jokester and had a nickname for EVERYONE . . . geez, maybe that's where I get it.:yes:
 
Last edited:
Great news! I'm happy for you.
It will be nice to have this behind you so can relax for the holidays.
We'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Prayers for all the best :prayer:
@NanaKP
 
Great news about the healing progressing with the fracture, hat it is a GO for getting that wretched piece of metal out by Hipster, and the closing up tp be beautified by Scar Fixer!!! So thrilled for you!! Awesome that it is your Dad's b'day and that he'll be looking down overseeing the goings on tomorrow. Sending prayers and positive vibes for a successful day tomorrow....and having it all behind you!!!

Let us know how you are doing when you can!!
Celebrating for ya already!! :dancing:
 
Hope all goes well tomorrow @NanaKP ! We are with you all the way!
 
Howdy Kim,

Sending all the positive and healing energy I have your way! You've got this!

Patty
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hitch & Get Along<

Good mojo coming your way!
 
Hiya Kim,

Hoping that you are resting comfortably post-op and are being well taken care of :). Thinking of you and sending a healing hug!

:flwrysmile:

@NanaKP
 
Thinking of you....hope you're resting comfortably. Maybe watching another Hallmark movie?
Hoping today is a sunny, happy one for you! :SUNsmile: :)
@NanaKP
 
Thinking of you today and sending healing energy! I lit a candle for you yesterday and sent all my good cable removal juju. I was happy to hear that the femur looked good and your OS was confident to move forward with the removal.

Yes, I did ice after my cable removal. I didn't need it as long as I did after a replacement, maybe 2 weeks?? I didn't have nearly the swelling or soreness. Hope it is the same for you and that you will soon be dancing in the kitchen without repercussions!

I am happy to report I went to a Christmas party last night and ran the wine toss booth, then danced for over an hour. Must have spent about 4 hours on my feet with lots of bending down and scooping up rings and shimmying and shaking on the dance floor. It was so much fun! It was one of my goals to be able to get back to this. I struggled last year after my right hip replacement and with all the problems I was having with the cable. This year was a breeze! And today I can still walk and am not having any serious setbacks. I am at 6 weeks post-cable removal.

I hope you too are back on your feet and out boogieing down before you know it!
 
Hello Hello everyone!!!!! I'm now 36 hours post-op and I am stunned by the difference I am already feeling having the cable out. You were soooooo right @BionicButt. I walked upstairs today leading with my left (previously fractured) leg and I could do it without catching my breath or holding onto the railing for dear life!!! I'm very cautious in saying that because I'm so afraid of a set-back. Does that make sense?

I came home with a drain and also a very sore throat. The anesthesiologist told my husband to expect a letter in the mail from him stating that they had great difficulty in getting the breathing tube in (opted to go with general anesthesia right before surgery) and I should have that noted in my health file forever. My incision has also bled out soaking through the dressing (I don't have the zipline nor the staples because the plastic surgeon closed me up) but after talking with Hipster today (I also sent him a few pictures of it), he felt I was well enough to wait to go in Monday morning for the dressing change . . . unless things changed drastically.

They saved he cable and claw for me but somehow it didn't come home with us so Hipster is going to locate it for me Monday so I can have it. Funny story, Hipster's right hand gal Stephanie used to work for the anesthesiologist that did my case yesterday. Both my husband and I tend to joke around when we're nervous (I do much more than my husband) so I said to him when he came in "now we're all good here despite Hipster taking Steph away from you, right??? You guys aren't going to get into some kind of show off mode on me, are you?" He didn't know what to say, he kind of stared, open mouthed, then I started laughing and he was like "whew, I thought you were serious!" We actually had a LOT of laughs before surgery as Steph, Hipster and the anesthesiologist were in my room and then came the surgical assistant Jessica who is a HOOT. That gal is HILARIOUS.

We had several funny moments before I ended up going lights out, I was actually awake as they strapped me into the boots for the Hana table. I was VERY nervous at that point so Steph (who opted to scrub in) got right in my face and talked me off the ledge, several times. I have to tell you, maybe it's the drugs that I'm on currently or just having a left hip that isn't popping like crazy, I am so eternally grateful for the entire staff that was with us yesteray (Stephanie went out and sat with Jon once I was under so he wasn't alone). Each doctor went out to talk to Jon after they finished their part as well. In addition, they all called yesterday late afternoon after I had been home for several hours.

I have been sleeping most of the day - I have dual ice packs going, keeping an eye on the discharge from the incision and taking 1 oxy every 5-6 hours (will probably take 2 at bedtime and through the night though). I only used the crutches in the house yesterday until I knew i was steady on my feet - have not used them nor the cane at all today.

Thank you all for checking in and sending the great Mojo, I greatly appreciate it and can NOT wait to boogey around the dance floor next year! Cheers!:reindeer:
 
Last edited:
Yay! It's amazing that you are noticing improvement already! Hopefully everyday gets better. I'm so happy for you :reindeer::santaclap::reindeerlights::dancing:
 
Yay Kim, :egypdance::happydance::yes!::dancy::loveshwr:...oh and I forgot :dancing:!! Celebrations for you!! So nice when you know have a good relationship with the medical folks. Great that you are doing so well! I'm sure the bleeding has settled down...but promise, no overdoing it until after you see Hipster on Monday!! What a great Christmas you will have :)

Have a restful night @NanaKP!

:treestar:
 
:loveshwr:So glad to hear you are done with That!
I didn't see the Hana table and when I google after I thought :flabber:
You are brave...
Now just all this taking it easy and getting well!:ice:
Hope today is a good day!:tada:
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom