THR Hitch & Get Along<

Well, it has been 26 hours since my first dry needle, electro-therapy, kinesio-taping, chiropractic adjustment session and I think I might be dying (okay, that's a bit dramatic). I'm hurting though, BIG TIME. I took 2 Aleve and it has barely touched the pain (I am also rotating the ice packs non-stop). I stayed on ice pretty much all day yesterday because I had read that it can feel like a deep bruise (soreness) and thought I could get ahead of it but this today has knocked me off my feet. I don't know if it's normal or I'm just being a big baby. I do think I have a rather high tolerance for pain though. The surgeon who fixed my torn tendon on my foot, prior to the hips, dropped his vehicle off at our shop to be worked on a little while ago and he was asking me how I was feeling (guess he could tell from the look on my face that all wasn't so peachy). I told him how bad I was feeling and what happened yesterday. He's a very kind man and was the one who referred me to Hipster (he knows about my full journey). I should've asked him how many Aleve I can safely take (he was a pharmacist before becoming a podiatrist . . . I know what you're thinking - what an underachiever, right? LOL) If I'm still here when he picks up his vehicle, I'll ask him. I go back to see the Chiropractor tomorrow at 9 a.m. Can anyone who has had this done tell me if this is normal and it will get better from here? Thanks.
 
Your results may vary but for my bad hip my GP told me 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening 12 hrs apart with food and for a few days was OK. Might want to protect your stomach too with Pepcid or something.
 
Thank you @Eman85 - I was close to taking 3 this morning (well 2 at first and then was tempted to take a 3rd one about 2 hours later) but figured I should wait. I'm NOT one to continually pop something for discomfort but this is intense today. I'll hold off until this evening to take 2 more and will continue icing around the clock. I brought a sleeve of crackers in with me today so I've been eating those with some peanut butter. Pepcid is a good idea - I think I have some of that at home.
 
I'm no Dr. but unfortunately I've taken my share of NSAIDS! What is that needling deal?
 
So sorry to hear that you're in such pain. I didn't realize they were going to do all of that at one time, no wonder you hurt!

Only things I can think to add is maybe take a nice hot bath with Epsom salts. Oh, and maybe push fluids, a lot. I know after massage and when I had acupuncture they told me to drink tons of fluids.
 
Oh dear, you had all of that in one session.. is your pain focused in one area? Please consider talking to your chiro Dr about how you've felt (pain) when you see him tomorrow.

I've found, when in a bind, that my local pharmacist is so helpful when I need a discussione able to tell you what in regards to taking OTC medications. He may be able to give you some direction with your NSAID's dosageand what else you could possibly do.


Hang in there, I hope your night tonight is easier..
 
I am so sorry to read you are in such pain @NanaKP Hoping you are experiencing relief today. I don’t have any experience with the dry needle or other therapy. Just sending healing wishes for relief from pain very soon. :yes:
 
I discussed with the Chiropractor the amount of pain I had all day yesterday. He was very kind about it, took some notes and told me not to get discouraged. He did ask if in any of my MRI/CT Scan/Xray images, they ever looked at the spine? I have no clue. I will work on getting copies of some images for him, at least the latest ones (I've had more than I can count since my initial visit with Hipster March 1, 2018). Today was the same as the first (more gentle with chiropractic adjustments though). One of the needles pushed in hit a VERY painful spot on "Hitch" (bad hip). He felt pretty bad about that. Taped me back up, sprayed Biofreeze on it - I am currently at work with an large gel ice pack wrapped around my left hip. Hubby ran home to talk to the Contractor at the house and to grab ice pack #2 so I can rotate them throughout the day. My next session is Saturday morning at 9 a.m. I'm REALLY hoping that tomorrow is not a repeat of yesterday and that I can actually start feeling like I'm improving.

@Eman85 - Dry Needling is similar to acupuncture but without medication on the needles. The needles are placed into the myofascial trigger points of the problem area. "The treatment works by stimulating the body to make twitch responses and this gives the patient a great deal of pain relief." It can leave lingering pain that is similar to deep bruising for several hours or in some cases, several days, after treatment. The Chiropractor said he'd continue for 2 weeks (3 x each week) and if he didn't feel like I was seeing marked improvement, he would refer me to someone else. Not sure who that would be . . . revision OS specialist perhaps?
 
Wishing you a better day and night and hope this starts to work. Thanks for the description of dry needling, had no idea what it was. Didn't know that acupuncture needles had any medicine on them. Definitely keep icing and pushing fluids, your system is releasing all kinds of built up gunk so you need to stay hydrated. :fingersx:
 
I should probably clarify, I'm not sure that acupuncture needles have medicine on them but descriptions of dry needling are solid needles that are 'dry'. Acupuncture deals with a person's energy (?) whereas DN is done on the trigger points. Not sure that helps to provide further clarification or not. DN is becoming more known especially used in sports clinics, physical therapy, etc.
 
@NanaKP

Hi Kim! I came on to the forum to get the suggested activity info for a friend here who just had her first of two hip replacements. She completely over did it within her first two weeks post op and ended up going to the hospital by ambulance last night:flabber:. She is OK, but a major set back.

I thought I'd have a look and see if I recognized anyone in the chat and saw your posts, and read back to early January.

I am so sorry to read about your pain and the struggles you are going through. How distressing that you were put through "dry needle, electro-therapy, kinesio-taping, chiropractic adjustment" all in one session...that is nuts!:holysheep:

Since I've been gone, I've found that IMS has been helpful in my rehab at certain times, and getting back to riding. I think it is the same as your dry needling. I know IMS as "...an effective treatment for acute and chronic pain of neuropathic origin. It is based on scientific neurophysiological principles. IMS involves the insertion of fine acupuncture type needles into the body where muscles have shortened or contracted." I have had the treatment done in one appointment, but only that per visit, nothing else. It was uncomfortable when my physio hit the targeted soft tissue. Afterwards he said I might be sore up to two days, which was about right, and then it felt SO much better. Sometimes I would have to take Advil, but sometimes not. I also have found Robaxacet to be really helpful at bedtime, for really sore muscles, as it has advil and a muscle relaxer in it. I can get it in Canada without Rx. The other thing is that I take Magnesium Glycinate every night before bed. You shouldn't have so much continued pain. It seems that that too much is being done in one go.

I also found somatic movement practice really helpful to learn how to release tight muscles, so I can help myself self-maintain. Feldenkrais movement is really similar and equally helpful.

My journey back to fitness (and I'm still working on it!), has not been a straight trajectory journey or one of quick fixes. My surgeon said it would take 18 months post -op to heal, and he was right. I am 18 months on righty the middle of next month, and the middle of May on leftie. He suggested the elliptical instead of running, and I would think while you are still working out the kinks with that troublesome hip, the elliptical may really satisfy you. I used to long distance run to cross train for riding, and I loved that endorphin high. I've found that if I plug my earbuds in and listen to music, stay in a rhythm and in an appropriate heart rate range, I get the endorphin feel good thing on the elliptical :eyebrows:

The weather here this winter was unrelenting with snow and rain, but I think a shorter season than yours. I hope you are seeing signs of spring. I was ready to do my nut in about a month ago :dubious:.

I feel badly I haven't been on to help others as I planned, but last year was pretty horrible with my brother passing, then I came down with shingles in my ear and on the side of my head, and then my husband was diagnosed with a super gut bug, which became symptomatic in August but not diagnosed until late October, was completely drug resistant and that took until to Dec to sort out and he is still recovering. Life is looking up now, so I'd love to help out here more often.:) :-) (:

I sure hope you find what works best, and good for you for shopping around physio wise :thumb: :flwrysmile:
 
I'm sorry to hear about your PT experiencing and that you are still having pain. I hope it is better after these few weeks since your last post? I wanted to second all the great suggestions above. Holding you in healing Light, Kim.

Rhonda
 
Hi Kim---Once again, I read your message, saved it, and then didn't get back to you. Since you last tagged me, it sounds like you've had a lot going on. I think a couple of things you are doing are really wise:
1)Gathering all of your previous records/tests/etc. In most cases now, the different places can stores/share/transfer between facilities. But for tests/records even a couple of years ago in many places that wasn't so. As a result, as patients we need to collect all we have from before. I hope you'll have good luck. One thing that happened to me was that when I requested records related to my back and hip surgeries, I only got the patient records. When I followed up, they said those were separate---both were done at surgery centers, and so I requested those also, and got additional info as a result. I found that I had received a bone graft on my hip socket that according to Josephine here on the forum, wasn't a big deal, but did surprise me.

2) Ruling out your back as a cause of your current pain and inability to get pain free after your surgery and revision. Since it's highly possible we can have concurrent issues as we age, checking out the status of your back right now is something I'd sure do if it were me.

3) A dry needling comment: I'd had dry needling a few years ago on my collarbone area where I had a bone spur and on the area around a slight tear in my right biep. When my collarbone area improved and my bicep didn't, and was still really painful with no "pain gate" relief, the PT opted to stop the dry needling. He stated that if there was no improvement and only continued pain after 3 sessions, it was not working. That was 5 years ago. Only recently has the collar bone pain returned. Since there was a bone spur on my collarbone, I'd expected the pain to return much sooner. I may go again if it keeps aching---it's not awful, but the dry needling was helpful for that area.

It sounds like you have been really active in terms of trying some different things. Sometimes ruling problems or possible options out is a big part of getting to where we need to be.

*****And yes, I remain so weary of all of the snow we keep having. One sunny day in the 60's followed by snow, then rain that freeze, then wind and then sun again. Colorado's weather is never boring! Please let me know how you are doing....I promise to get back to you sooner next time! :loveshwr: :loveshwr:
 
I haven't been on this forum for what has seemed like decades . . . the 'Rona time capsule has made everything seem endless. I really debated on not posting anything at all but I am in desperate need of advice.

I had my first fall almost 3 weeks ago, naturally it was on the hard (tile) floor and not on the carpet. I tried to brace myself so took some of it on my left elbow but I managed to land squarely on my 'bad' left hip. The lovely bruises are now gone, however, I am now experiencing sharp pains deep within my hip that bring me to a dead stop in my tracks. I can trace the pain to standing more on my heel of that left foot but it happens with small steps forward/back (while unloading my things from the truck) as well. This is not an ache and the pain doesn't linger but I can definitely feel a heaviness in my entire thigh. This morning I had to drop my shorts on the ground to put left foot into the leg hole while getting dressed (sharp pain bending my knee while holding the waist of my shorts).

I did get quite a bit of relief from the Bursitis with the dry needling in February and March but to be honest, I don't believe I can even maneuver myself onto his table in my present state (I thought about scheduling in with him up until this morning). I don't want to over-react nor do I want to be completely ignoring a more serious injury. Can anyone PLEASE shoot me a word of advice or two, especially if you've experienced this type of pain before?

Thank you much.

PS I have missed being on here but life has taken many twists and turns since I last posted. My Mom has suffered many strokes so I have been back and forth to FL caring for her.
 
I am sorry for your fall but with the pain continuing you might want to see your physician and get some x-rays. It would provide peace of mind regarding the hip. Sending healing vibes your way.
 
Hi Kim,
It‘s nice to hear from you, but sorry it’s under these circumstances. I’d have to agree with leejaa and feel you should call your surgeons office, explaining the fall and resulting pain. Hopefully it eases, but they may want to x-ray.

So sad about your mom. It has to be difficult traveling back and forth, then worrying about her from a distance. Prayers for her health and comfort for both of you.
Stay in touch and let us know how your hip pain resolves.
@NanaKP
 
Thank you @leejaa and @Layla - my husband has been after me to do that. I don't know why I'm so reluctant to call, I just am. I hate to be a whiny "nothing is right" patient. Ugh . . . WHY can't I just get through all of this for once and for all! Stupid hip.

Thank you @Layla for the sweet words about my Mom. It has been very trying as all of my sisters and I live at quite a distance from her (and she refuses to leave there). We are all doing what we can to help her, but it is definitely challenging. She's a stubborn little woman . . . . hey, maybe that's where I get it?
 
I don’t think you sound or act whiny. I agree about getting checked out to make sure. I had a friend whose husband fainted and fell on her. She didn’t think much about it but she continued to have pain in her hips. She found out she had fractured her pelvis. Hopefully nothing is wrong but that’s what an X-ray will tell you. Blessings to you for what you’re enduring with your mom. I’ve been there. My mom was a feisty spitfire and stubborn. It was a struggle sometimes but worth it. She eventually lost her battle and I miss her every day. But you need to take care of you, too. Keep us posted.
 
I'm sorry you are dealing with your mom's struggles at this crazy time.
My dad passed in June but was in assisted living in lockdown since first of March and it has been such a tremendous emotional turmoil.
You need to see about YOU.
Could be just an injury... Something that would hurt the same way with your natural hip, but we owe it to ourselves to Make Sure.
Please check with your OS for X-rays and other reassurance
Hugsxxxc
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom