Hip surgery in my future

Many are given a particular cleanser to use pre-op.
Pre-op appointment should clear some of this up.
Just like shower issue.
May depend on surgeons method of closure, dressings, and care preference.
I have sensitive skin also but except for some dryness, no issues.
Dry skin beats germ risk!
When will you go for pre-op instructions?
 
I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to that one.
Possibly someone else will come along who can help.
I suppose it's too early for you to have a joint camp scheduled?
Mine was in two parts. A 30 minute phone call with a nurse and then hubs and I met the same nurse at the surgery center about a week later. I had a list of questions and between the phone call and visit in person she answered them all. Consider starting a list. It seems like it's easy to come up with a zillion questions pre-op. At least I felt that way.
I hope you have a good weekend!
@allena
 
I don't know when the pre op thing will be.They will tell me when they know.I will be going to a hip class o october 31st.I'm sure that will be informative.
 
Wondering if you've visited the BoneSmart Library here, allena?
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/library-index.14830/
I didn't for a long time and when I finally took the time I was amazed at the wealth of info.
You will get all your questions answered at Joint Camp but don't hesitate to ask them here
and we'll answer / advise to the best of our ability.
If you're like me, you want answers now, not in two months at Joint Camp, lol.
Hope you have a nice Sunday!
@allena
 
I am curious.I figure after the surgury I'll feel worse before I feel better.I'm just wondering how bad it will be?bad or really bad?
 
Tough to say, allena.
You trade one pain for another and it doesn't necessarily mean it will be worse.
The pain from surgery is different from the pre-op pain of a deteriorating arthritic hip.
You will control it by taking your meds on schedule, resting and icing frequently.
Plus, it's only temporary. No one can really predict another's recovery. We all go into THR in different
physical shape. Hope for the best. All you can do. And remember, it's only temporary.
@allena
 
I know,everyone is different.i have a,good pain tolerance so that will work in my favor.ill remind myself of that.im definitely hoping for the best.
 
@allena Please stop all this worry about post op pain. The pain you are feeling now is far worse than any post op pain. Pre-op pain can not be controlled. No pain meds touch it. But post op you will have a prescription that you can take around the clock as prescribed. That and ice and elevation will control any post op pain.
 
that's good to know.youre right.nothing gets rid of the current pain.its not really the pain that worries me.im used to being in pain.im just wondering how badly affected my life will be for awhile.i am not looking forward to being less independent. or having to sleep more.or having to take opiods.or the possible side effects of them. etc.the pain us the least of my worries.
 
I'm repeating myself abit,but it's pertinent to the conversation.
 
I'm sure it will be all right one day.I'll just have to get through all the stuff in between.Thank goodness everything is temporary.
 
Not at all...the unknown is stressful.
You've got this!
And you have us!
And you are saying bye bye to hip pain!
Having some temporary pain didn't compare at all to the years I hurt and dealt with sleep deprivation and the like.
Doesn't help thinking about putting in a new hip but ...
All worth it! I'm jam up and jelly tight now!:tada:
 
You're not being silly, allena.
We all had questions, concerns, fears and anxiety pre-op.
But it's difficult to know how anyone's recovery will play out. That's why we're reminded
often that we shouldn't compare. I'm sure you've read positive and negative here. Some people breeze through recovery, some take a bit longer. Some come to surgery in pretty bad shape, more so than others. Many of us have higher pain thresholds than others.

Those who've had both hips done will tell you the two recoveries weren't even the same from one hip to the other. We don't know how our recovery will play out. You'll take meds and if they're not working, you'll talk to the office of your OS and have them adjusted.

You may be more independent than you're imagining. So what if you sleep more while in recovery? It won't bother you because you'll be sleeping. Our body does its best healing while we're asleep. So....welcome extra sleep.

You don't know that the Opiods will be a problem for you, you're borrowing trouble in a sense. Please try not to worry unless it becomes necessary. Try to take it one day at a time.
@allena
 
that's what bothers me most.i don't know what I'm on for I hate the unknown. I have taken a opioid before.tramadol.i only took it when I had too.i didn't take too many of them.i didn't have any trouble with them.i didn't take them everyday though.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom