Guest viewing is limited

Hip surgery in my future

Everyday is unknown. You wake each morning and don't really know how the day will play out.
You have an idea and a plan, but you don't really know.

Prepare your recovery nest, eat healthy, get some exercise if you're able and have faith that all will work out as it should. You may never shake the "what if's" so distract yourself the best you can and keep moving forward. Find a new focus and tell yourself you have time to worry about this later. Keep pushing it off because you don't have to worry about it today.
@allena
 
Sage advice from Layla @allena .
Lurk, educate yourself, but you have alot of wait time...the waiting IS the worst part.
Don't stress too much.
Not good for you (I know, easier said than done)
Have a good week!:SUNsmile:
 
I've been telling myself that I have 98 percent chance of sucess.and that the risks are low.it helps some.i am not very good at faith.i wish I was.i tend tword being doubtful.the odds are in my favor so that helps.
I do exercize.i do chair yoga,chair tau chi,use weights,and a stretchy band.i meditate too.most days anyway.
 
Good start, keep it up. Stay busy.
Wishing you comfort and peace of mind for the week @allena
 
I didn't mean to move you're comment to my comment.oops.i don't know how,I did that.
 
Hi @allena ....I defy anyone to say they've been through this and not been worried to death at times! I'm coming up for my second, and even tho I more or less know what's entailed, I am just as nervous (maybe more :doh:) this time because, as Layla said, you have an idea but don't really know. I'm sure even if we had a crystal ball and could see that it is going to be the most perfect op and recovery ever, we would still find something to worry about .....after all, we're human and this is what humans do :wink: The absolute worst bit is waiting for that date to arrive....in the meantime keep throwing your qs at us, and we'll help you keep the worry down to a dull roar :yes:
 
that's good to know. I figured I was being neurotic or a wimp.
 
Hi @allena, my surgery is rapidly approaching on September 12th ... and my comment is this: if someone isn't a little scared and frankly a lot scared about the surgery, something is up with them.

I'm frantically going through checklists of preparation items ... still got to contact a number of friends and tell them to be ready to visit and bring me food ... I'm getting food in place, the cold therapy ... loose clothing ... straightening and cleaning my living quarters ...

Right now, my brain has one worry:

My surgeon works at a teaching hospital and my one worry is that there will be an inexperienced and inept resident helping out ... and for whatever bad luck, my doc lets the resident do more than he's really capable of ... and the surgery turns out badly. But ... frankly, I think my brain needs something to focus its fears on ... and right now, the winning topic is the possibility of an inept resident. Funny: I had knee surgery (meniscus) in the spring, and my surgeon for that (different guy than for hip) is a professor at a teaching hospital. But there was no resident involved that day--for whatever reason.

I am reminding myself that part of a surgeon's skill (at least a surgeon at teaching hospital) is managing and training residents and using them well so that the patient has a good outcome.

Interesting: I have no fear of anesthesia ... or of even waking up in the middle of surgery ... (I would love to ask questions during surgery if I could. I want to be a surgeon in another life) ...

I don't really have fear of pain ... I have great confidence in my surgeon in controlling the pain and prescribing the right stuff afterwards ...

Anyway, I'm lining up the jokes I'm going to crack with the surgeon on the day of. On the way out (as I'm hobbling with a cane after surgery) I wanna turn to my surgeon and say, "Dr. Matt, what did you say? I should wait at least a week before running a marathon?"
 
@Going4fun Keeping a sense of humour and expressing one's fears are great attributes:).
I was at my anaesthetic pre-op and the anesthesiologist was saying that he was going to give me a general (and a spinal), as he felt with bilateral surgery that I might get "a little too wiggly" on the table with only heavy sedation. I was so tempted to say, "Well it isn't as if I'm going to get up and walk out", but I didn't think he'd appreciate the humour, so kept my mouth zipped!:heehee:
Your comment, "if someone isn't a little scared and frankly a lot scared about the surgery, something is up with them" is so true! @stellaluna turned me on to a great meditation ap that I've downloaded to my phone, and I do min ten mins every morning, and it is really helping keeping my anxiety at bay. It is called Insight Timer.
 
I will be getting some antianxiety medication before the surgury so I won't have a panic attack.i told him that,it would happen otherwise.ill be on some medication at the hospital too or my anxiety will be hellish.id be a lousy patient too.i figure it will be ok.i bet my biggest problem will be the night before.i doubt I'll sleep much or well.
 
You may be pleasantly surprised about many of the things you're worried about, allena.
I didn't think I'd sleep the night before surgery either, but I did. You may also.
They'll give you something for anxiety at the hospital.
Hope today is a good one!
@allena
 
@allena I asked if I could take Tylenol Nighttime the night before surgery at my anaesthetic pre-op, and the doctor said that was fine, as long as I told them that I had taken it the night before.
I've had a long wait for my date, and I have had my moments. Keep checking in and chatting with everyone here, as they understand. As many have commented, it would be hard pressed to say that anyone has not had anxiety and fear before their surgery!
Have a good day :)
 
ok.ill keep that in mind. it won't help my pain though. It's too severe.it might help me sleep if I can take a effective pain pill with it.thanks.you too.
 
I sure do hope so!I'd love to be pleasantly surprised!I'm hoping the surgury won't be really early in the morning-like before 8 a.m.I live a hour away from the hospital.I'll have to get up 2 hours before its time for the surgury just to get there in time.Im not sure ill be able to move too well-i may not be allowed to use my pain medecine. Ill be walking slowly and bent over.sigh.not to mention whoever gives me a ride will have to get up ungodly early and put up with me.I'll be grumpy,cranky,tired and scared.
 
Last edited:
@allena I asked if I could take Tylenol Nighttime the night before surgery at my anaesthetic pre-op, and the doctor said that was fine, as long as I told them that I had taken it the night before

ok.ill keep that in mind. it won't help my pain though. It's too severe.it might help me sleep if I can take a effective pain pill with it.thanks.you too.

You don't need to take anything the night before that your OS hasn't been informed of and approved of.
The anaesthesiologist needs to know all!
Yes they can...at the hospital..
Probably give you something for anxiety but if you found a pain pill that is helping with that bad hip so you can sleep..you are a rare one.
I couldn't sleep because of hip pain nor was there any meds to relieve me of it.
That's WHY I had them replaced!
You will be OUT and sleep during surgery!
I hate you have such a long wait to mull all this over...think it is making you overthink it all.
Understandable...but please don't self medicate prior to surgery...
Try to balance anxiety of surgery with some relief and excitement of how it will be when you recover.
Hard to do when still in pain I know! But you will be very happy when all is done!
 
I won't do anything I'm not supposed to. I take hemp oil before bed and use hemp cream on my hip. Otherwise the pain keeps me from sleeping much at all. I still wake up from the pain but I can usually sleep enough to do ok. If I can't do that I might as well not go to bed. I can barely move in the morning. I'm not sure how I'll make it into my friend's SUV. I can hardly walk to the the bathroom! I can deal with being tired but I'd like to be able to walk to the SUV.

I am happy - in a way. I am sure I'll be better off. Probably a lot better off but that's in the future. I'm sorry,I am not excited. I hope you don't think less of me for saying that.

Hemp stuff really works well. It's a wonderful medicine.
 
Not at all..hard to imagine it...but it is true that life will be much better.
 
Last edited:

Members online

Back
Top Bottom