Hip surgery in my future

Hey, allena
Not sure if it's been suggested...but have you tried a heating pad?
It helped me in those last weeks leading up to surgery.
Give it a try if you haven't, it may work. Good Luck!
@allena
 
I was in Body Shop the other day and I saw all the Hemp products..I was tempted to get some but wondered if it was just a fad. Do you think they are good or better than other creams/oils/soaps etc?
 
@gidget.I am not sure.I use it for pain relief mainly.I love my hemp lotion-it's better than the cream the doctor prescribed.I am sure they are great products.Sorry I can't be more help.
 
@layla.Someone mentioned it to me.not on here before today though.It's worth a try.
 
It's worth a try, while it may not always work, or fully eliminate the pain, it's comforting.
At least I found it to be.
Whatever gets you through the next few months...
@allena
 
I ordered one from amazon.I'm sure it will help.I sleep with a pillow on my hip.It gets warm after awhile and helps somewhat.I figure the heating pad will work better.
 
This is a odd question,but what is normal for 47?I remember normal at 20,but I know I can't expect that.Will I be able to cut my toenails?or get in and out of the bathtub?or will i still need a shower seat?Will i be able to walk very far?I have no idea.How much pain is normal pain?as in the normal aches and pains?I have not been normal in a long time.
 
I'm 55...I cut my toenails...get out of the tub fine (just more careful...don't want to be clumsy and mess up this good thing)
After about 8 months I was walking over 15000 steps per day no problem...
There will be recovery time of course, but the end game is you will feel like you are decades younger...I do!
Recovery pain is pain that goes away.
Hip pain was torturous and neverending !
 
I'm 51, but I was 42 when I had my THR. My "normal" was (and still is) the same as any other person my age. I have had no trouble dressing, bathing, or attending to my personal hygiene (including trimming my toenails and shaving my legs). I also have no trouble skiing or dancing or swimming or backpacking or mountain biking. I think you'll find that you can do anything you'd like to do.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
 
thanks for the information.I don't mean post op pain.I mean normal aches and pain that comes with aging.I'm very familiar with never ending hip pain.:(
 
That's good to know.I'd be happy just to walk a moderate distance.I would not mind a cane even.It would be so nice to be able tie my shoes.or to get up and down easily.or to not be bent over from pain and stiffness in the morning.any improvement would be appreciated.
 
I had no age-related pain at 47. I have no age-related pain now. If you have arthritis in other joints, I expect that you'll still have pain there.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
 
or to get up and down on a regular toilet without having a bar to grab and still struggling to do it.or needing tools to get dressed.i digress though.
 
Last edited:
I do have some knee pain and shoulder pain,but it's nothing compared to my hip.a 5 a most for my knee.maybe a 4 for my shoulder.I barely notice those pains at all.
 
I wet to my rhumatologist yesterday.I told them when the operation will be.She was happy.She said it was amazing i was able to go so long without getting a hip replacement.It's a combo of a high pain tolerance,stubborness and fear.I left out the fear part though.
 
Good Morning,
You don't have to leave the fear part out of conversation, allena.
Most all of us were fearful. In leaving it out of conversation you may be missing out on
another's soothing or consoling words you find helpful. Words that give you a feeling of hopefulness to override some of your fear. There is no shame in healthy fear. THR is a major surgery afterall. Most aren't running to be first in line.
Wishing you a peaceful day.
@allena
 
thanks.you too.I figured there was no point in mentioning fear.I didn't want to be called a wimp.I'll keep that i mind.
 
Nobody's gonna call you a wimp, cuz that would make us all wimps! It's okay to be scared, and it's okay to talk about it here, because we've all been there, and we've all found that the worst of it is over practically from the time we wake up after surgery. (I remember standing in a hot shower the night before my surgery, shivering with nerves, and briefly considering calling the whole thing off. Soooooo glad I didn't!)
 
I would think the first weeks of recovery would be hard too.afterall you are limited in what you can do,taking pills that make you sleepy or have side effects and can't walk too well.I don't doubt it gets better,but not for a good while I'm betting.I'm betting it gets worse before it gets better.
 
Not necessarily, allena.
Many have remarkable recoveries. Very little pain, or well controlled pain.
The narcotics don't have side effects for everyone. If the one you're prescribed does, you talk to your OS and have your meds adjusted. It's that easy.

I didn't sleep any more than I normally do. I was hoping too, but didn't. You just don't know how you'll feel. It didn't take much to zap my energy but I wasn't napping or sleeping the day away. You may not either.

You're mobile the day of surgery, most often. The narcotics control the pain which helps keep you mobile.
You may very well be surprised how much better you feel after even a week. I think you may be mildly surprised by all, once you're finally post op.
@allena
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom