BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Hip surgery in my future

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by allena, Jul 17, 2018.

1. allena

allena senior

United States United States
    I'll be be getting a hip replacement done sometime this year. I'll find out on July 30th when I see the doctor. My hip is literally dislocating. The ball of it is half out and being held in by a ligament. Lovely. It hurts a lot all the time. I have hip pain for years but this is truly awful.

I can't say I'm happy about getting the surgery done though. I am deathly afraid of being put to sleep, being in the hospital and I really don't like needles.There are so many unknowns.

What will I be able to do after the surgery? I figure housework is out of the question. How will I get by if I can't bend over?

Will my pain level be any better than it is now? At least at first? It is a major surgery after all. It's gonna suck to lose my freedom and be semi helpless. Yes,it will "only" be temporary but it will still suck.

Thank goodness I have friends who will give me rides, feed the cats and help with housework. I live alone so I'll need it. I am hoping this will all be worth it one day. I figure I'm between a rock and a hard place - if I don't get it done my hip will definitely dislocate and if I don't, it might anyway.

My chances are better with the surgery though. I'm really hoping the doctor won't send me to a rehab place. Wish me luck.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Welcome to BoneSmart!
    You've come to the right place. We'll answer any questions you have to the best of our ability, offer advice,
    compassion, support and encouragement. We understand, we've been there.
    The surgery is anxiety producing for a great majority. More often than not. The best way to alleviate your fears is to educate yourself and through BoneSmart you can do that.

It sounds like you're in pain. You'll lose that pain through surgery and it will be replaced with some discomfort during recovery which is only temporary and will be controlled through short term medication. You will need to trust the anesthesiologist who you'll confer with prior to surgery. On the day of surgery everything moves like clockwork. No one will be indifferent. The medical professionals you'll deal with do this every day. They want the best possible outcome for you and will work to that end.

I don't think you'll have to go to re-hab if you can have someone come and stay with you for at least the first week, maybe even a little longer. You mentioned friends, see if you can get them to commit along with any family who may be close by. You can do this, it's truly not as overwhelming as it feels initially.

Stop back often. We'll be here.
    A great day to you!
    @allena

• Like Like x 1
  3. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

4. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Good ones, Layla!

allena, hi and welcome to BoneSmart!
    You know what? Everyone is scared of all that too! They really are. But here are a few other articles that might help to reassure you
    Anaesthetics - spinals, femoral blocks, GAs and everything else
    Operation information: how do I know I will be safe during the operation?
    It will be for a couple of weeks but you really won't feel like that anyway! And you'll be able to bend over - some surgeons require this Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule but some don't. Neither of my sisters were. And as for bending over, if you look in that article you will see instructions on using the "golfer's reach".
    It will be better and it will be different. You will also be able to manage this pain with pain meds provided you are sensible and take them as prescribed.

I'll leave you with the recovery articles so you can read even more!! Do read ALL of these, including the paragraphs are the end!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

5. allena

allena senior

thanks for the information.I thought perhaps I was just being a coward.Someone told me I was being irrational.:(

• Like Like x 1
  6. dapplega

dapplega member

@allena - Ha! Someone who apparently hasn't had THR... ;) @Layla is spot on with her response.
    Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:hi:
    Obviously there is some pain, but mine was managed well and after the horrid Hip pain, I could almost call it discomfort after the first days.
    My bone crunching pain was gone IMMEDIATELY!
    And I am ever grateful for the surgery that had given me my life back.
    I hope that they do this as soon as possible so you can get on the path to getting YOUR life back.
    Bonesmart was a great tool while I recovered.
    Lots of sage advice and comfort from "those who know"

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  8. allena

allena senior

I'm sure they will get to me sometime soon.My situation is pretty dire.I would perfer to get it over with as soon as possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. allena

allena senior

thanks.i'll need all the luck I can get.

10. allena

allena senior

layla.No one can stay with me.My apartment is small.The couch is too small to sleep on.I'll have to stay with someone-who that will be remains unknown.Something else to worry about.yeah.not.:(

11. allena

allena senior

I read all the articles.I know more than I did.This is defintely going to suck.Is is possible I could take non opoid pain pills?I don't want to be dependent,constipated or have stomach pain.:(
    I wish I didn't need to do this.I feel like I am being punished.I know that is not the case but it sure does feel like it.?:(

12. allena

allena senior

what makes this worse is I'm 47-not over 65.This is SO unfair.Yes,I know life is unfair.That is beside the point.My body sucks.This is all too much!I don't think I can handle this.I'll still have to get the surgury done of coarse.I'm damned!thats all there is to it.

13. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

This isn't going to a good place. I've had bad hips since I was a kid. Had my THR this year. I've had hip pain, big deal. I have friends that are gone from terrible diseases, I never complained about hip pain, it won't kill you.
    Now as far as the operation it's a major deal and it will hurt afterwards but it will fix your hip. As far as anesthesia goes many have a spinal with sedation instead of complete general anesthesia. I was in the hospital about 30hrs, I could have stayed a couple more days if I wanted which would have made me a lot more mobile. Most are walking not long after surgery with a walker and the first days it's bed, bathroom and recliner. After that you can spend most of the time alone, your biggest need will be ice.

• Like Like x 2
  14. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @allena ....welcome to the forum :wave: I was lucky and had my husband at home after my first hip....he was quite miffed because I didn't really need him to do much. If I had to, I could have managed quite well on my own, even with the stairs......you have nothing better to do so it doesn't matter if you're doing stuff really slowly. There have been quite a few people on the forum who live alone so maybe they will come on with advice for you too. It is really scary to be told you need an op....whatever your age it doesn't get any better, but keep reading posts on the forum and you'll get an idea of what happens and how to cope....Knowledge is Power, and you'll be fine once you've got your head round it :yes!:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mojo333

All recoveries are different.
    You CAN do this.
    Two replaced at age 53 didn't seem "fair" but not only now does it seem fair..I feel deserving.
    I deserve to live my life pain free and happy without the restrictions!
    I've never regretted my surgery!
    I got my life back!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  16. allena

allena senior

I don't have a recliner.

17. allena

allena senior

I 'll want to leave the hospital as soon as possible.I have a few advantages.I'm used to pain.also I'm a back sleeper.Laying on my side is painful,so I don't.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mojo333

I didn't have one before surgery. Many recover fine without one.
    I loved mine (bought for me by my sister gently used)
    And wish I would have had it to relax on prior.
    My hips had gotten too painful to sleep on AND back hurt when on back...so little sleep either way.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  19. allena

allena senior

I don't have room for a recliner.I barely have room for my couch and coffee table .it would be nice to have one,but it's not gonna happen.

20. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

If you're a back sleeper you've already got a big thing going for you, most of us aren't and that's how you have to sleep the first week or so. Being used to pain helps also, I've had pain all my life it seems, my wife has never known me without pain! We met when I was having problems with my right shin and had to have it operated on, that was about 45 years ago.
    A recliner is nice but the biggest thing is a comfortable chair, preferably with arms. I didn't have one so I used one of those cheap white plastic patio chairs with a cushion on it. It was great especially at the table. It was actually a good height to get in and out of and the arms made it easy to lift myself out of it. We did go chair shopping for a recliner just for the comfort, but if you don't have room there's not much you can do.
    You mentioned pain pills, if you have pain you are better off if you use the pain pills. When you're in pain the only real effect is the relief of the pain. I didn't have any bowel problems with them and really didn't take many at all. I was using Tylenol and didn't take many of them either. Trust me, you're not going to become dependent on opioids from THR.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1