BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[THR] Hike’s Recovery

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by hikejunkie, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi Hike.
    You are doing so well and are an inspiration in the forum to the fact that patience pays off.
    Even though I know it hasn't been easy for you.
    Hope your planters forgive you...won't be long and you'll be back in the road!
    Yay for solo walking..progress!
    Wishing you a great weekend.:tada:

2. Jackie222

Jackie222 graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So lovely to read your update

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

I hear you about the weather. We've had 2 nice days but this weekend we're in for rain/sleet/ice/snow, depending on where the storm goes. I got so bored walking inside at the mall this winter, and it's been great to be able to get outdoors more. Sounds like your recovery has been going very well! I had a few times where I woke up "out of position" too, and did just what you did - gently got back to "safe." It's nice to not worry about that anymore!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Hipgirl18

Hipgirl18 junior member

Sounds like you’re getting there! Aren’t you glad we’re almost 6 weeks out?? I have a post-op appt next week with X-rays. So far so good!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You sound wonderful!
    Have to admit I chuckled at the thought of you lying partially on your stomach, pillow off to the side contemplating your slo-mo move into a safe position. Thankfully all is well this morning.

Great progress in the ability to walk Tank and Izzie at the same time. Life is slowly returning to normal.
    I'll bet you'll soon be able to add something to your planters and enjoy them for a decent chunk of the season.

Hopefully you'll get the time you want / need before your return to work. Forty-Five minutes is a bit of a commute. I found 30-45 mins was all I could tolerate in the car for the first few months. That was with my trusty old ice pack too. After that amount of time, I became antsy and uncomfortable.

Overall it seems you're doing great! @hikejunkie Slow, easy and it's getting you there.

Best wishes as you continue healing!

• Like Like x 1
  6. BeBe

BeBe graduate

@hikejunkie
    Sounds like you are doing great! Cane only when necessary? That's my dream!
    We had snow last Monday and yesterday and today in the 70's. It is so hard to be laid up
    with weather warming up to Spring. If I can't be outside gardening I want it cold!!
    Have you gotten the green light to drive? I agree a couple more weeks to get your driving
    confidence back is a good idea.
    Wishing you a good week ahead!

7. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

@jaydub63 - it was mid 70s yesterday and today it’s low 40s with rain on the way. Crazy. After getting out of position and it going ok I’m not too fearful of it. I’m at 6 weeks mark in two days so I think I’ll be ok.

@Hipgirl18 - I recall your appt is same day as mine 18th. If you have time, post to let us know how things went.

@BeBe - no green light to drive yet - pretty sure I’ll get the ok on Wednesday.

@Layla - it was funny for sure. Terrifying at one point but funny for the rest. :heehee:

@Jackie222 - thank you! I’ve read you’re doing ok as well.

@Mojo333 - inspirational, me? I produced a very unattractive snort laugh at that one but thank you.

• Like Like x 3
  8. catt

catt junior member

I am at the same stage as you. How do you get PT appointments ? We are given a sheet of exercises and just get on with it

9. Mojo333

Hips really don't need PT to get well. @catt . :)
    When was your surgery and maybe we can get you a thread started so we can get you some useful information and folks can share their experiences about PT and other things you might have questions about.

10. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

@catt - my surgeon prescribed PT. I guess every surgeon is different in their approach to recovery.

11. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

I have only two days until I see surgeon and get precautions lifted. I’m so psyched I want to lift them myself today. Just go drive. Finally sit on my cushiony sofa. Get rid of my much hated granny potty. Put on socks and sneakers instead of slip on shoes. Sit at my kitchen table. Get dressed without using a grabber to put my pants on.

Alas, but no. I will behave. It’s only two more days. :umm:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mojo333

Hey Hike. Hope the weather is good where you are and things are continuing to get better and better.
    I also was prescribed PT AND had a very aggressive therapist...so I opted to opt out for some time.
    I did go back for some easier PT at a place I had gone pre-op after a few months.
    I do see some advantage to certain types of physical therapy.
    I have a full day and am already dreading it. Kind-of Wish I was back to being bored and antsy and recovering in my recliner:heehee:
    Hope you have a Good Day!

13. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

@Mojo333 - it’s unfortunate there’s such a difference in PTs. The one I’m seeing was upset over what the in home person wanted me to do (straight leg raises, him manipulatively stretching). I refused but if he was seeing someone like my Mom, she would not have refused and there could have been damage.

My PT is what I would consider gentle and she also does some massage when things are a bit cranky. I want to push myself but she actually holds me back. If I was left to myself I most likely would push too hard too soon. I need the guidance PT is giving me so I can progress at the correct rate vs. being my good old bull in a china closet self.

Hoping your day, albeit quite busy, is a good one!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mojo333

How did I know that:heehee:?
    Glad you have a regulator.
    As much "fun" as this has been, I don't want to do it again if I can help it.:no-fin:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Layla

Hi :wave:
    I really noticed with my mom's recent THR what a huge disconnect there is between the surgeon, PT, hospital nurses and even between physical thereapists within a group!

Excited for you to have your restrictions lifted HJ! Sit on your cushy sofa, get rid of all assistive devices
    and drive! :driver: Hope you can hold out until Wednesday.

Wishing you a great week!

• Like Like x 1
  16. catt

catt junior member

We just get an A4 sheet with dis and don’ts and exercise

17. catt

catt junior member

A friend has told me the 90 degree rule lifts at 6 weeks. I am waiting till o am signed off!

18. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

@catt - yes, 6 weeks which is today. :yes!: Hitting that mark is exciting because I know life is going to get better and better. It’s already pretty cool how the pre-op pain is gone.

I am so annoyed with precautions and not driving at this point but at the same time, even though it’s only one more day, I’ll play by his rules which was precautions stay until I see him next. I will stop the aspirin I’ve been taking as blood thinner today though. My stomach has had enough of it.

I lost a cap on one of my molars and have to see a dentist tomorrow afternoon. :censored: Good it happened today so I can get the antibiotics script when I see surgeon tomorrow.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Layla

That's something I'm troubled by @hikejunkie
    That whole anti-biotics, or not, biz in regard to the dentist.
    My OS and dentist aren't even in agreement. I hate anti-biotics and would prefer to avoid them
    but would hate a hip infection even more.
    What's a girl to do?!!! :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

Yay for the end of precautions and the start of the rest of your life! Those pesky antibiotics. My OS went from saying to use for 2 years to saying to use for the rest of your life. My dentist said they got a big lecture from CDC at their annual meeting even though they're not the one pushing it. That said, she'll do whatever surgeon says (and so will I - at least for now).

• Like Like x 2