BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Hike’s Recovery

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by hikejunkie, Mar 8, 2018.

1. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    That 'can't keep my eyes open' is really weird, isn't it? Have never felt like this before, but there I am, almost falling asleep mid sentence, like the worst jetlag ever! Can't remember what it's like to be awake and full of energy, but I'm sure we're working our way up to it :yawn::heehee:

2. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

United States United States
    I went to bed at 7:30pm last night! Woke up twice during the night but not again until 6am. I still feel a bit tired. :heehee: Crazy.

Tank and Izzie had some confusion first days home and I caught them eating each other’s kibble. I put myself on guard duty during meals but it was too late. Tank has a very sensitive GI system so I ended up at vet with him yesterday afternoon. Friend took me there, stayed with me, and brought me home.

I’ve got PT tomorrow and am due for 3-5” of snow. We’re not supposed to have snow in April! This will be a challenge with the pups that I’ll have to figure out. I’m very steady on my feet at this point (almost 4 weeks postop) but I really don’t feel ready to attempt walking on snow.

3. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Don't take any risks in the snow @hikejunkie ......better your dogs have an indoor lazy day. My two were a little confused when I got home....they seemed to have forgotten some of their manners, and were a bit standoffish for the first couple of days. Came round with frequent treats :puppysmooze: and now accompany me everywhere I go in the house, laying down outside the bathroom door, just in case I run away again :oyvey:. So glad we have them, they make a world of difference don't they?

4. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:hi: @hikejunkie

Hope all is continuing to improve.
    This recovery thing gets old, eh?
    Hope you are being patient and gearing up for spring.
    Coming up on one month for you!
    Bet you have an OS recheck soon?
    Hope today is sweet!:SUNsmile:

5. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

@Mojo333 - :hi: - 4 weeks postop today. Next appt with surgeon is 18 April. This no driving thing stinks. I’m fortunate I’ve got helpers to take me places, but am very annoyed at times over my lack of independence. This is where recovery is getting old for me.

I’ve got an issue. Well, two of them. One, which I hope improves over time, is my foot getting all tingly. It’s been like this since surgery. It doesn’t fall asleep to the point I can’t feel it but it’s more like how it would feel if it’s waking up after being asleep.

Two, and this is the bad one, I’ve developed a nasty pain around the TFL, ITB and psoas, which started Sunday. :oyvey:It may be from doing too many golfer pickups on Saturday or simply overdoing it since I had done some house tidying up, changed sheets and then had to take Tank to vet. I was exhausted later that day which is quite indicative of overdoing it, yes? The pain comes lifting my leg to go up/down stairs and then also fires up when I walk. :groan:Taking baby steps vs. my normal stride alleviates it a bit. Odd but I was dealing with this pre-op too. I’m permitted to use heat at this point so am doing that. It helps temporarily. No PT since Friday but I see her tomorrow and hopefully she can help.

Just another bump in the road. Onward....

6. Mojo333

Ugh...I never felt as if I were overdoing it until after the fact...very frustrating. Hope PT had some insight but does sound like you hit the ODIC.
    I wish they could clear you to drive, as it is your left leg, no?
    You will feel better even if you don't want to go anywhere, you wouldn't feel so restrained.
    All temporary...but you are right.
    Patience isn't my long suit either.
    Remember the lovely recovery chart... rps20171117_054543.jpg
    Hope all begins to ease. Wish I had more advice, but sometimes we must do more Nothing, unfortunately.:umm:

• Like Like x 1
  7. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

@Mojo333 - right leg. Friend got my car out of garage the day I brought pups home (easier to go out that way vs. out front door and down steps). It’s parked across the street. I just wave at it and sigh. :heehee:

Not a fan of joining the ODIC. :dead:Agree with just doing more nothing. It is what it is.

8. Mojo333

I swear I just heard you heavy sigh over the computer:heehee:
    Not picking on you when you are down, but I do smile as I remember that cabin fever...those post op blues, those new aches in aggravations just when I thought things were improving:sorry:
    Hang in there my friend.
    It's going to get there...behave and ice it up today.:ice:
    :console2:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Recovery can be "oh SO boring" :yawn:
    And "oh SO frustrating" :tantrum:
    But you'll soon be doing this > :walking: and this > :happydance: and this > :chuckmarch:just like Mojo!
    And even this > :driver: yep! :yes:
    Hang in a little longer, it's coming, double hippie :yahoo:

Hope today is good!
    @hikejunkie

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. hipster333

hipster333 senior

Canada Canada
    @hikejunkie I started to drive again after 5 weeks. OS had told me to wait until I saw him at my 6 weeks appt (which he didn't even bring up at that appt by the way) but PT tested my reflexes at 5 weeks and said there was absolutely no reason I couldn't drive. It was much easier than before surgery!!! (I shouldn't even have been driving with the pain I had every time I would switch between the accelerator and the brake. Hopefully you don't get too much snow. Be careful out there!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. BeBe

BeBe senior

@hikejunkie

Hope your PT can give you some reasons for the new pain/tingly feelings or ideas on what to do to make go away faster. I've had this too so am especially interested.
    This mending post op is a trial!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

@Mojo333 - yes, that sigh was very loud indeed. :) I used heat vs. ice yesterday at the suggestion of my massage therapist. Helped quite a bit.

@hipster333 - I’d be afraid to drive at the moment due to the tingly foot business. Add in precautions and I’m just so stuck. :boohoo:

@BeBe - so the horrid pain I had is almost gone. It’s there but not nearly like it was. :yes!: Other than taking care of dogs and myself I did nothing yesterday and used my heating pads throughout the day. However, I have a new pain today running from inner knee up inner thigh. Typical of recovery - pain moves around, comes and goes. Tingly foot still there. I’ll let you know what PT has to say.

13. Mojo333

Just a few more weeks, hikejunkie...I had a myriad of different aggravations also...thought I had them all but I did miss that one:shrug:.
    Hope PT has some insights!
    Hope you have a better day!:) :-) (:

14. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

So PT has no idea what’s up with the foot occasionally going numb. She’d say it’s sciatic irritation but there would be other symptoms. I’ll just discuss it with surgeon on 18th when I see him if it hasn’t gone away. It doesn’t prevent me from walking, it’s just annoying. :umm:

I did basically nothing at PT yesterday. Since I had some rough days she did some gentle massage. I don’t see her again until next week and my instructions until then is to just walk, use my stick (called The Stick) to massage where I can and ice vs. heat. You know, I’m inconveniencing a friend to get me to PT and I wonder why I’m there. I do like and respect her but I’d rather do things on my own this time. Yesterday just felt like a waste of time and like going there hasn’t helped with recovery progression. Only thing I’m not sure of is when to progress to more strengthening exercises and how much distance to add at different intervals with walking. Perhaps I’ll google it. I also want to get back on my stationary bike. I’m sure I can do that once precautions are lifted.

Off to get more coffee. :) :-) (:

15. Mojo333

:mcoffee: on first cup! Coffee is one of the great pleasures of life!
    I dropped formal PT for first months as I could do most of the stuff at home and keep it to manageable.
    Antsy hikejunkie. Not a good waiter are you? Me either.
    Try to be patient, giving this thing time is going to payoff for you.
    Hope weather is easing...so you can get some D therapy and if you walk too much, I'm sure you will know.
    Sympathy hugs for hurry up and wait time.:heehee:

16. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

@Mojo333 - so I guess my impatience was obvious, eh? Slow and steady is quite annoying today. :heehee: I’ve already set my three appointments with PT next week so will keep them. Weather is meh. It’s not raining or snowing today but high only around 40F. A bit of snow tomorrow. I’ll just drag my cranky self out for a few short walks with dogs today - getting out always helps.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Mojo333

One Month...even if it feels like a year....new ball joint AND tie rod and lots of manipulation to get all that in there.
    I agree outside is where I can get the most mental rejuvenation.
    Hope you see something beautiful today.:loveshwr:

18. Hipgirl18

Hipgirl18 junior member

Hi there!
    I’m 4 weeks out, too, and it’s interesting how the little pains come and go! One day great—next day ouch!! My PT says the soft tissue stuff takes awhile. I’ve developed IT band inflammation. But I’m trying to be patient. Ugh. Walking pretty well. It’s quite stiff in the morning, though. I have my 6 week post op with X-rays on the 18th, too. Hoping all is well. Patience! I’m not great in that area, either!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:hi: Hi @hikejunkie
    Hope the occasional numbness of your foot soon eases. That must be annoying.
    Crazy twists and turns on the road to healing.
    Enjoy your walks with Tank and Izzie :doggie: :dogwalk:and best wishes for a great weekend!

• Like Like x 1
  20. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

Things continue to move forward. Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. Almost at the 6 week mark! :yes!:

Have been occasionally sleeping on my non-operated side with a pillow between my legs. Woke up in the middle of the night, pillow off to the side and I was partially on my stomach. Realized the position, laid there for a few minutes wondering what to do, slllooowwwly moved back to side, then to back. Stared at the ceiling a bit, back to sleep. Nothing hurt but the way my leg was situated I was either close to or broke 90 degrees. :scaredycat: All good this morning.

Have been off cane since Monday. Took a walk with PT and my gait is good. I’m to use it if the leg is tired at the end of the day and bring it with me as I increase my walking distance in case I need it. Have been on stationary bike at PT! Will be getting on mine at home once precautions are lifted. :upright:I can walk upstairs normally but slowly. Going downstairs isn’t working yet so I continue with one at a time. I’m able to walk both dogs together which is great. :dogwalk:

Weather has been nice past two days. Won’t stay that way. I keep looking at my planters wanting to pick out leaves and debris and work the soil around but, alas, trying to do it with grabber creates a mess and it would involve too many golfers pickups to even do one large pot. I’ve apologized to them for how messy they are. :heehee:

I’m not ready to return to work so I’m hoping OS will give me a bit more time. I think he will. I’d feel more comfortable at the 8 week mark especially since I haven’t driven in almost 6 weeks. My commute is 45 minutes on a good day on congested highways and I have to lift my laptop bag (it’s not lightweight) out of the trunk once I get to office and return it there at end of day. Doesn’t seem like much but I know I’ll have some setback trying to do it when my strength isn’t as good as I think it needs to be.

Onward....:walking:

• Like Like x 4