BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Hike’s Recovery

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by hikejunkie, Mar 8, 2018.

1. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

United States United States
    That's why I skipped inhome PT both times and went straight to the PT I knew and trusted (it also gave me an excuse to get out of the house and expand my horizons a bit). More of a logistical challenge before you start driving, but I didn't want someone I didn't know and trust touching my newly operated leg!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

3 weeks post-op today and I’m doing great. Lots of walking which fires up my hamstrings I guess because there’s slight incline/decline on the route. With first replacement the quads were yelling quite a bit but not this time. Started PT out of the house yesterday and she also advised I’m doing very well. Only using ice for when things get a bit cranky. :ice:

I have found with this replacement I’m much more fearful at times. It’s like when I’m out walking I’m intensely focused on the road like a pebble will jump into my path and take me down with it. Ha! I shake my head at myself. :heehee:

Been doing dry runs on walking the dogs just to be sure I’m confident. I am. Even though they’re small I’ll have to walk them separately for a bit until I’m off the cane. I’m a pro at the golfers pick up so they’ll be fed and watered. We’ll need to figure some things out as we go along since I’m on precautions at least until 18 April. I’m picking them up from boarding tomorrow. Three weeks is a long time to not have my pups with me. I can’t even put into words how excited I am. :loveshwr:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Yay for getting your babies home.:doggie:
    How happy they will be...
    I'm glad you are doing well, friend.
    Onward and upward :egypdance:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Belladonna

Belladonna member

Especially if you had a bad first experience. My second was miraculous! I pray you continue to heal well.

5. MammaT

MammaT supremo

Congratulations on getting pups back @hikejunkie. Taking them out separately will get you some extra exercise.

I don’t know if it’s that I am more fearful with this second hip, but I think I have taken this recovery easier because I know that recovery happens.

6. Bumblebee

Bumblebee senior

You are doing great @hikejunkie . I find even slight inclines taxing for my groin.

7. hipster333

hipster333 senior

Canada Canada
    You are doing awesome @hikejunkie! So happy you’ll have your puppies back!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

@MammaT - yes, understanding that recovery takes awhile and moves at it’s own pace is good. Perhaps fearful is the wrong word to use - I’m more cautious. I recall pre-op your left side was bothering you. Have you seen that post-op? I’m noticing butt pain in my left (replaced in 2012). Nothing awful, just tightness at times.

@Bumblebee - things sometimes get a bit cranky after my walks so I ice. Then go out later and do it again. I haven’t had any groin pain. Yet. :)

@hipster333 - I’m ready for them. :puppysmooze: Youngest son decided to come early for Easter to visit. He and his girlfriend arrive tomorrow evening so I’m feeling more secure knowing someone is around just in case I need help.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MammaT

MammaT supremo

Still getting occasional twinges in left @hikejunkie. Seems to be settling down from presurgery as new hip gets settled in. Os and I in agreement of seeing how both are at three months to see if anything needed for either the piriformis or the irritated bursa. It’s been so long since I’ve had two good hips I don’t think my body is sure what to do!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi there @hikejunkie
    So excited for you to get your furry loves back tomorrow! I know how badly you've missed them.
    What a sweet reunion it will be.

It sounds like you're recovering nicely. I've been more cautious since my op too. Never really feared falling until after my THR. Hopefully as more time passes those feelings fade...

A great rest of the week to you!

• Like Like x 1
  11. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

IT’S PUP DAY!! :yes!: Caps intentional because I’m so psyched. So of course we got some freezing rain last night. But the temp for the day is 54F so all will be well when I bring my loves home.

Had some weird pain last night and it wasn’t in need of meds but ouch. I had been relaxing for about an hour, got up and OW. :gaah: It has to be nerve or piriformis related because it started in butt, down through hamstring and then toes got slightly numb. IT band was also a bit spastic. Woke up this morning and it’s gone. All these strange, out of the blue, twinges are such a bother sometimes.

PT first today, friend will also take me to run a few errands and then get Tank and Izzie. :happydance:

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @hikejunkie.....hope you're having the best reunion with your pups today/yesterday! :dogwalk::dogwalk: Mine ignored me for a while, then got very clingy, then decided it's my husband who has the biscuit bowl so they'll give him their attention. Labradors and lab crosses always prioritise their stomachs :heehee: Glad to read about your progress, hope the nausea attacks are behind you now. Wishing you endless doggy cuddles :puppysmooze::puppysmooze:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Jackie222

Jackie222 senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So happy for you :flwrysmile:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Layla

Hope you're feeling complete again with the fur lovies back home.
    How on earth did you keep them from knocking you over when they first laid eyes on you.
    I recall when I'd pick my dog up from the boarding place she'd run at me so fast and furiously I dodged her!
    Hope you have a wonderful day! @hikejunkie

15. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

They’re home and it’s a bit of a challenge getting them out. I’m just reminding myself of how awkward I was with grabber and stick/hook thing and now I fling them around like they’re a part of me. Changing the way I do things takes time to master so I’m hoping in a few days we have the getting harnesses and leashes on thing down pat. :doggie:

My 9.5 year old guy is exhausted and been sleeping unless he’s eating or going out. Younger one didn’t recognize me at first but when she did she went crazy. We had to wait until she stopped being all wiggly so we could go out to the car. I slept the best I have so far last night. :sleep:

• Like Like x 2
  16. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

@Layla - they’re 7 and 10 pounds - no worries if they had charged. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

Except that those are the perfect size for getting underfoot - enjoy having your pups back but watch where you walk! Maybe you should put bells on their collars.:giggle:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  18. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

I’m extremely tired the past couple of days. It’s like I’m wide awake, having a conversation, and two seconds later I’m having difficulty holding my eyes open. I wouldn’t think having the dogs back would do it since I replaced all the walking I did alone with walking them. But since this tiredness is new and they’ve just come home it’s most likely the cause.

My skin is also very dry and so is my hair. I eat healthily and hydrate so I’m going to just hydrate more.

Other than that, all going ok. New aches and pains crop up, go away, and then pop up elsewhere. I just take aspirin 2x per day as blood thinner and ice wherever it’s needed. Onward....

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. Layla

This recovery biz seems so crazy and unpredictable somedays.
    I agree with the new pains cropping up here, there and everywhere and then leaving just as quickly.
    By the time you almost figure out what something is...its gone!
    Don't recall dry skin or hair but we're all affected differently. Possibly it happened and I forgot :shrug:
    I do remember I couldn't remember anything :heehee: In those early days.
    Oh the joys of major surgery. We're ALL champs! :yay: :happydance: :spin: :dancy:
    Hope your weekend is great! @hikejunkie

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Wishing you and your babies a great weekend.
    Going to keep getting better!
    Be patient, and take care!
    :wave:

• Like Like x 1