THR Hike’s Recovery

@hikejunkie
Hi! Just checking in on people I've missed for a bit. It's great you've found some relief
for your foot pain and are back to the spin bike.
I'm thinking of getting one. Do you have any brand recommendations? I'm clueless.
And the racing thing is that connected to your bike? See clueless!
But I've big plans for when my next hip is good to go so looking into it now.
Hope you have a great weekend ahead!
 
@BeBe - hello! Hope all is well with you. The foot can still be a bother some days, depending on activity level. Bought a wrap around ice pack that works great. :ice:

To answer your question, the bike I was on is a Sunny, SF-B1509, which I bought on Amazon. It’s a great bike for the price. There’s some assembly required but I did just fine. I’ve moved on to a Peloton. This is a pricey investment so I suggest not doing that until you’re sure you like riding a bike that goes nowhere. I was just about to order it and my hip pain started. I just love it. The community and instructors are great. :ok:

The visual app I was using is called BitGym. You cycle through all sorts of places. I used it on my iPad. Highly recommend. The virtual race site I use is yes.fit. I know I’ll never run (was an occasional runner before first hip replacement) or bike a live race so this is the next best thing. What’s great about it is you race at your own pace. You don’t have to complete a race in one day. I’m currently doing a race through Scotland that’s 121 miles (The Unicorn). It’s taking forever. :upright:

Good luck with your next surgery!
 
Are you wearing your kilt? :heehee:
You're doing great! @hikejunkie Racing around the world.
I hope you enjoy a nice weekend in the good old US of A
 
@hikejunkie
Thank you so much for the bike info! I was wondering about the Peleton - don't know anyone IRL who has one.
This might be something for me to concider as a gift for my DH and myself for making it through THR?
I agree about starting on a less expensive option first.
We have to do something for fitness that might be better for hips and low back issues. I do not swim.
Until hips went south I was active enough just keeping up with my hobbies. Horses, hiking, house building.
Now I'm a couch potato on ice.
I will definitely check out the apps.
Are they only for peleton or any bike?
Thanks again have a great weekend
 
@BeBe - the BitGym app isn’t needed with Peloton. They have classes and scenic rides. I only used it with my Sunny. Yes.fit isn’t Peloton or even bike specific - you can cycle, run, walk races. Peloton has showrooms so if you can find one near you, you can take a test run. Be careful though - you may fall in love with it. :roseshwr:

My hips and especially my quads/glutes feel stronger from riding. And, for me, I feel more “alive” when I ride. Those pre- and post-op weeks of pain took that away so I’m just thrilled to be back in the saddle again. I’m sure you’ll figure out what works best for you and hubs - enjoy!!

@Layla - kilt! :heehee:
 
Hi @hikejunkie .....how are you doing, whereabouts in Scotland are you now? (shouldn't you change your country location :heehee: ) I've been looking up the BitGym, looks really good, so I'm looking forward to having some distraction when I'm on my trusty spinning bike :biking: so good to be back doing 'normal' things.....for anyone who is still in doubt, there is definitely life after THR! :thumb:
 
@anny - :wave:great to hear you’re checking out BitGym! You’re going to have fun. I stayed off the dedicated bike rides because a lot of it was just road and boring. I used the hike rides which brought a lot more scenery. There’s a particular one through Costa Rica that goes through a butterfly spot in a zoo. Was cool seeing blue butterflies flying around.

I’m 67 miles into the Scotland race - a little over halfway, right past a town called Devonside. I was feeling my drive fade a bit - it’s a lonnngg ride - so put this race on hold and completed a shorter one (19 miles) that was in Greece. I just needed to complete something and now I’m all competitive again. :)

I’m cycling about 8 miles a day but keeping resistance on the low side as I gain strength. When the Peloton instructor is telling me to crank it up to 50 I laugh and stay around 35. Amazingly I’m not in last place on the live rides. Close, but not last. :heehee: In the on demand rides in a field of about 6,000 riders I’m number 4,000. Ha!

Hip is doing great, IT band gives me a pain here and there and it’s because I get lazy about stretching. Stretching is your friend. :yes:

Hope all continues to go well for you and enjoy your rides!! :upright:
 
:wave:
So happy to see your post and that you are editing yourself!
I haven't had any problems to date with alot of extra activity, but wish I had a virtual traveller to get away some.
Hope you have a Good Weekend:loveshwr:
 
Happy Monday!
That biking thing you're doing that's taking you around the world sounds so cool.
I'm googling that when I'm done posting this morning. Sounds so interesting and must make it all the more fun.
Hope you have a great week! @hikejunkie
 
Hello everyone! :wave:

Almost at the 6 month mark so thought I’d check in. If I didn’t have the scars I’d forget I’ve two hips replaced.

At the end of May I invested in a Peloton and got rid of my beloved Sunny indoor bike. One of the best things I’ve done for myself. As of today I’ve done a total of 162 rides, been in the saddle for 78 hours, and ridden 1,243 miles. When I hit my century ride I was a hot mess sobbing at the end of it. Just couldn’t grasp how far I’d come. I’m planning to hit the 200 ride mark on my 60th birthday this month (25th) - I’m excited!

Coming into the fall in my part of the US - my favorite time of the year to hike. I’ll have to carry my older pup (9 lbs.) for parts of the longer hikes but my younger one will be fine. New hip wasn’t a fan of carrying weight early on but all good now!

Hope everyone is doing well!! :upright:
 
Yay @hikejunkie :happydance:
So very good to hear from you.
A blast from the past!
Kudos to you for all your accomplishments...isn't this surgery just simply amazing!:ok:
Thanks for popping in...I've wondered if all was well with you.
All your hippy pals will be ever so proud for you.
Have a great weekend!:SUNsmile:
 
Hi @hikejunkie
So wonderful to hear from you!
I'm happy to read you're doing so well.
My favorite line of yours "If I didn't have the scars I'd forget I've two hips replaced." How awesome!!
What a testament to the wonders of THR.
May it long continue. A great holiday weekend to you!
 
Just read your story from start to finish. What a great recovery! I would love to start riding a bike again but have not done it for such a long time I would be afraid of falling off. We have some nice paths through the local country side here.
 
@hikejunkie .....so good to hear your news, and wow! aren't you doing well :yay: can't wait to catch you up with the second hip and start up the old activities again....you're inspiring me :yes!::thumb:
 
I realize it's been awhile since you've stopped by but if you drop by please leave us an update.
We'd love to know how you're doing.
Nine months already for Righty and coming up on 7 yrs for Lefty. That's awesome!
Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy New Year!
@hikejunkie
 
:wave:Me too...what Layla said!:curtsey:

Hope your holidays are full of comfort and joy:dancing:
 
Hi @hikejunkie .....just wanted to wish you a great Christmas and hope everything is still going well for you.....racing Santa and his reindeer on your Peloton? :heehee: :re-snowman:
 
Hi! :hi: Hope y’all enjoyed the holidays!

@anny - I got my Peloton end of May last year and rode 2,750 miles on it through year end! :upright:How are you doing?

@SurreyGirl - I’m not on a road bike. I’m indoor cycling. I’m too afraid if I fell with two hip replacements I’d be done for! My road bike now gathers dust in the garage.

@Layla and @Mojo333 - very kind of you to check up on me. :) Hope you’re both doing well.

So, I just passed 7 years for LTHR and coming up on 1 year for RTHR. Life is good! One thing I’ve noticed is, Peloton related, I can’t smooth out my pedal stroke. Is it because of the hips or I’m simply a spaz? Dunno but probably the latter. I’ve said before if I didn’t have my scars, I wouldn’t know I had THRs and that continues to hold true. I turned 60 in September and my new hip gave me the ability to take a 10 mile hike to celebrate. :walking:

If I could suggest anything to those new to recovery it would be to get up and move. I had posterior approach for both THRs and both times I was up and walking same day and continued to make sure I did that every day once I got home. I also did PT but refused to do some of the suggested ones - I think there’s a thread here somewhere on the icky ones. You don’t have to do what they say - you’re in control! As soon as I was able to get on a bike at 4 weeks postop I got on and that’s when strength really began to improve. What’s also interesting is I had issues with my right knee, even getting Synvisc injections. Postop I’ve no longer needed them. Arthritis is still there but the pain isn’t. Weird.

If you’re pre-op and reading this, good luck to you! It’s worth it. Sure, it’s scary but this surgery is just another day in the office for a surgeon and mine did a perfect job of it.

Take care all! :wave:
 
Wow! Love your follow-up posts! I have my trike on a trainer in a spare room in front of a tv, and I've been thinking of trying out one of the online training programs, so your experience is mega-helpful! Thanks!!

I’m indoor cycling. I’m too afraid if I fell with two hip replacements I’d be done for! My road bike now gathers dust in the garage.
Have you thought about a recumbent trike? Lots of options, depending on whether you want to smell the flowers or really hammer. I have an Ice machine - hammer time!

One thing I’ve noticed is, Peloton related, I can’t smooth out my pedal stroke. Is it because of the hips or I’m simply a spaz?
I might be able to help. Where's the problem? Do your feet come off the pedals (I can't remember whether Pelotons support clipless shoes)? Might also be cadence - how fast are you spinning?

What’s also interesting is I had issues with my right knee, even getting Synvisc injections. Postop I’ve no longer needed them. Arthritis is still there but the pain isn’t. Weird.
Helpful! I'm working thru some incipient knee stuff with some exercises, and it sounds like that might have helped in your case.
 
:wave:So glad to hear update!!
Nice to know you are feeling strong and confident.
New hips are amazing for quality of life!
Wishing you a great 2019:ok:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom