THR Hike’s Recovery

I’m not a fan of antibiotics either but agree @Layla that I would hate an infection even more. My dentist said only for 2 years postop but a nurse at OS office told me lifetime when I asked about it a few months ago. Agree @SaraK that I’ll also do whatever surgeon says. It’s on my list of questions tomorrow.
 
My dentist said he will not prescribe as it is not needed. I called my OS about it and he said not to have any dental work done for 6 months post op (luckily had check-up and cleaning just before) unless absolutely necessary. After the 6 month point, just go with whatever my dentist says as OS doesn't think it's needed after that point either. Weird how there are so many different opinions on this.
 
I agree @hipster333 it is maddening that we can’t get everyone on the same page re antibiotics. These superbugs are getting worse and more prevalent, so I understand the CDC’s perspective. I get my teeth cleaned 3 times a year, so lifetime use will add up, not counting other procedures like colonoscopies etc.

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow @hikejunkie !
 
Ugg @AJinNH I hadn't even thought about other procedures, like colonoscopies (which I need to have done every 5 yrs). it never ends!
 
And even though my OS doesn't require it, my dermatologist requires antibiotic (different 1 than OS uses for dental) for biopsies (and I've "only" had about a dozen of those over 6 appts in last year and a half. Glad I'm finally getting to reduce those visits to every 6 months!
 
@catt - yes, 6 weeks which is today. :yes!: Hitting that mark is exciting because I know life is going to get better and better. It’s already pretty cool how the pre-op pain is gone.

I am so annoyed with precautions and not driving at this point but at the same time, even though it’s only one more day, I’ll play by his rules which was precautions stay until I see him next. I will stop the aspirin I’ve been taking as blood thinner today though. My stomach has had enough of it.

I lost a cap on one of my molars and have to see a dentist tomorrow afternoon. :censored: Good it happened today so I can get the antibiotics script when I see surgeon tomorrow.

I have a chipped tooth what’s with the anti biotics?
 
@catt - some surgeons want those with hip replacement to take antibiotics before dental work. I’ve taken amoxicillin one hour prior to dental cleanings or any other type of dental work. Purpose is to prevent hip infection. There’s differing opinions on whether or not it’s necessary.
 
Hi - I'm at 8 weeks post op today and so far so good... about the dental work and penicillin, both dentist and surgeon insisted on it - I wasn't crazy about taking them either, and googled it - all I read was it wasn't necessary, too much antibiotic use, eating and brushing your teeth can introduce bacteria just the same, bla, bla, bla..... I had my teeth cleaned yesterday, and bottom line is the hygienist was pretty adamant about making sure I took the right one, at the right dose because basically everyone just wants to cover their behinds. It's even printed on the little card the OS gave me identifying me as a hip patient (about making sure you inform your dentist before any procedure.) I think better safe than have to deal with infection later! :) :-) (:
 
So precautions are lifted and I can drive! :driver: Of course, my big fear is sitting on a regular toilet. :heehee:

Surgeon no longer requires antibiotics for dentistry unless the patient is immune compromised. However, I’ve got to take antibiotics today before I see dentist because it’s too soon postop. Surgeon is advising doing absolute minimum and wait at least two more months for anything else. Of course if it’s something that will get worse if we wait then I don’t have much option. I’m petrified of infection. Too bad this situation wasn’t apparent when I went in for cleaning preop. Fingers crossed.

Back to work on 30 April.
 
@hikejunkie These days dentists, GPs and surgeons rarely require their patients to take antibiotics before dental work. However most advise waiting to have anything done for several months. Please don't worry about infection. You should be just fine. Your surgeon is just being very conservative.

Well done on precautions lifted! Look out world hikejunkie is on the road again!
 
Prayers it all goes well with the dentist today and that you're protected @hikejunkie
Hooray on the driving :yay:
Now you'll have to report back that you didn't fall into the toilet :heehee:
Hope your day and the rest of the week are great!
 
It's weird how some surgeons are conservative on some things and liberal on others. Mine requires antibiotics for dentist but permits dental procedures, including cleanings, after 30 days.
 
I was petrified about using the regular toilet too :heehee:. Seems silly to me now that I've been back on it for weeks. Once you've done it a couple of times you'll be fine. Just slow and steady. I was so happy when I could finally put away the armrests and toilet riser. Congrats on the driving! :driver::yay: So much more freedom now--just make sure to use your ice packs if you're driving a little further.
Best wishes with the dentist. Never fun, but at least you should feel better soon. :yahoo:
 
With the right leg the op leg and the sprained ankle (now 4 weeks) it took me a long time to get up the nerve to drive. Getting into the drivers side is a bit more difficult and I noticed the lack of lumbar support in the drivers seat making my back hurt. All that said, it is great to be able to take myself places and not have to ask for volunteers!
Has anyone tried those kneeling benches for gardening with arms that help you get up? It’s been so long (with the bad hip) since I’ve crouched down and got back up independently, and the knees are still stiff and sore.
 
I’m going to practice driving today @hikejunkie , with my husband in the passenger seat, at his insistence. I’m not in a super hurry to drive again, but he has to travel on business several times a month and wants to make sure I’m ok with it in case I have to while he’s gone. I’m a little nervous, but I guess it’s a good idea. Doc says it’s okay.

I had to use a regular toilet at a friend’s last week and panicked a little, but as @hipster333 said, you should be fine. It is awkward, just take it slow.
 
Free at last from the horrible raised toilet seat, that was one of my great accomplishments that I enjoyed. I hated that thing as much as anything. I was able to raise right up from the regular seat which made me even happier. Getting reacquainted with my feet was another great moment.
My OS requires the antibiotics pre dental work too as does my dentist. I had a sinus infection at about 5 wks and it all worked out with antibiotics.
 
My good friend who is a PT and my surgeon both said don’t rush into PT. I’m finding concemtrating on heel/toe very helpful. And, for constipation I take 1 400 mg Magnesium and a probiotic. Works very well. I’ve taken 1 Celebrex for arthritis inflammation for a few years. Because it can be hard on the stomach, i try not to mix in other NSAIDs. I’ve never noticed anxiety as a side effect of Celebrex. I too was a side sleeper. I’m trying it with a pillow between the knees but end up getting uncomfortable after about a half hour. I’m sure that will get longer and longer.
 
Hello all! Thanks so much for the responses. Very kind of you. :)

Drove to dentist yesterday. Thought I might feel pain or stiffness getting in and out, but nope, all good. :yes!: Just like riding a bike as they say as far as feeling confident in what I was doing. @AJinNH - how did your driving adventure turn out?

Dentist was able to just glue crown back on and said we could get a month to a year out of it. Cool. Pre-op I went in for cleaning and reception person was coughing like crazy. I was so germ paranoid that close to surgery I practically yelled “ARE YOU SICK?” She said it was just allergies. Yesterday it was the same thing. Me whisper-yelling “ARE YOU SICK?” due to postop germ paranoia. This time she walked around the desk into the waiting area where I was and explained, while hacking, how her kids shared this obviously contagious illness. I wanted to say something to her and the dentist but left it alone. This time. Just wasn’t up to it. Maybe I need a new dentist.

I didn’t fall in the toilet @Layla :). But it was weird. As I was ssslllooowwwly going to sit, I kept looking behind me and the seat felt like it was MILES until I’d reach it. I thought of how a truck backs up and you hear that beep beep warning signal. Then I started to laugh like a loon. :heehee: Then I had to get back up and it was quite awesome my legs both did their jobs splendidly. @Eman85 knows what I’m talking about. Both bathrooms look oddly unfurnished with them gone.

Slept on my back, my side, my stomach, a side/stomach combo. Although I woke a few times still having that habit that of checking on myself, it was glorious. :sleep:

Spoke to boss yesterday. I’ve missed him and the team. However I’m glad I’ve got a little more time to recover before jumping in as the return won’t be phased. PT will continue for another month and today I’m going to get on my spin bike at home. Excited to clip in even though it will be a short ride. Progress!!

Onward....:biking:
 
Getting better every week. Glad you can get out some.
Hope the weather is warming where you are and that all continues to improve.:tada:
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom