Guest viewing is limited

THR Hike’s Recovery

@hikejunkie You make me laugh! :heehee:
I'm going to share what worked for me with the toilet, might be a little late for you, now that you mastered it.
But it may help someone else reading our toilet talk.
Leading up to surgery and for a time afterward I'd place the palm of my hand (between my legs)
onto the top / front of the toilet seat as I was lowering myself onto the toilet seat. Might sound weird BUT I only did this at home and I'm a fastidious toilet cleaner. Only hubs and I here and we don't use the same bathroom. But....guess who cleans both? Lol!
Anyway...by placing the palm of my hand there I felt secure, knowing I wouldn't fall. I would bear weight on my hand until seated, the ability to hold on to SOMETHING gave me a sense of security until it became unnecessary. Make sense? Might sound silly but it worked for me. I didn't have any restrictions, aside from...if it hurts STOP. We do have the higher toilet seats in our home which truly make a difference. Because I'm used to them I didn't realize how much of a difference it makes until you use a regular one elsewhere. Which I won't touch!

Great news on the dentist. I'm glad they found a temporary solution to buy you more time.
I don't understand that biz of going to work when you're sick, with the risk of making others sick.
Seems rude and inconsiderate. If it happened to me, I'd want to say something also but I also understand your reservation. It's no fun to be the "B".

It's great to hear you have more time off since you can't phase back in. Your recovery sounds like it's going really well. Wonderful to read :yes!: Hope your day is all you want it to be!
 
I was the "B" one time with my son. It was flu season and I took him to day care. One of the teachers in the infant room where he would be was laying on the floor was moaning about how high her fever was and how bad she felt. I marched into the office and demanded they send her home. They tried to tell me they couldn't do that because they'd be below the required staffing ratio. I switched day cares the next day! They wouldn't take my kid if he was sick - even if he got it from the teacher, so why was it right for the teacher who'd be taking care of him to do so while sick?

I'm glad they found a good way to push the dental procedure back a bit. Even if infection wasn't a concern, you probably don't want to spend that much time in a dental chair yet!
 
That's BS for sure @SaraK and I don't mean BoneSmart :heehee:
Especially with innocent kids / babies involved. Inexcusable!
I would have been the "B" in that situation too.
Funny how we easily get all Mama Bear when our kids are involved.
Hope you make it through the day without any sniffles or scratchy throat symptoms @hikejunkie
 
Hey @hikejunkie my first time back behind the wheel convinced me that I need a little more time before I start driving again regularly, but also that I’m ok to drive if necessary. It hurt my groin a bit going from gas to brake, not intolerably so, but enough to make it something I don’t want to do if I don’t have to yet. Maybe in another week or two it will be better.

I’m glad your dentist was able to glue your crown back on. I had a crown replaced a month before surgery because there was a big question mark as to how long it would last and I didn’t want to take a chance with needing a root canal right after surgery.

I understand about germ paranoia, I had a neighbor come visit me right after I got home and tell me, after she gave me a hug, that her daughter was home sick with the flu!

I’m so happy for you that you can sleep on your side and stomach again! Woohoo! That will be a major milestone for me.
 
Hi @hikejunkie - yippee for getting off the restrictions, that's such a milestone! Did you feel anxious about doing all the things you've been avoiding since the op? I have a feeling when I get to 6 wks I might be carrying on for a few extra days 'just in case" :doh:

@Layla ......thank you for the good idea about getting off a normal loo! I don't want to inflict the looframe on my dad when he visits in 10 days if I can help it, and was wondering how I can get myself up and down without the support.
 
@AJinNH - good news you can drive if you need to. I would have still had precautions at your point in time so couldn’t have risked it.

@anny - the only thing I’m anxious about is trying to get on socks and sneakers. The sock aid just doesn’t get them on right so I’ve been in slip on shoes with no socks. Slip ons are cushiony and comfy but really have no support. I’m going to try today. :fingersx:

Cleaned my place thoroughly yesterday and did some laundry so opted out of getting on my bike. I gave it a pat and said “soon”. Another busy day today which will have me in and out of car several times so will hold off again. Don’t want to push too hard. Besides, I should wear socks with my bike shoes and that’s scary.

Weekend weather for me is supposed to be mid 50s and sunny. :happydance:I’m going to get outside and walk a bunch. Hope you all have a good one!
 
Have a lovely weekend, hike:SUNsmile:
Thank goodness it's Friday...I'm ready for some outside and relief from the general public:hairpulling:
 
Sock trick..Use the sock aid and then lie down in bed and do a heel slide. Slide your heel towards your butt and you can reach your sock to pull it up. I've done it with the grabbers too but the heel slide is better and you're doing PT too.
Hand on the toilet seat between your legs works good, makes it easy the first times when you're not steady.
I've never been a germaphobe (sp) but at pre surgery when they swabbed us for MRSA and Staph they talked about how prevalent it is and how it spreads. I also have a friend that picked up MRSA and it's not pretty. I now wipe the cart at the store now with wipes.
 
Love your update @hikejunkie
It sounds like you're doing well.
Enjoy the weekend and those walks outdoors in the beautiful 50 degree sunshine! :walking:
 
On the road, figuratively and literally!
Hope you are still finding time to rest and ice it up!:ice:
 
Man oh man. Got my socks and sneakers on with amazingly no pain whatsoever! Then I went for a walk. My leg was like :flabber:. I got rid of preop sneaks and these are new. So I kept at it through the weekend with short walks, then rest and ice. On the op leg I’ve got pain on both sides of IT band a bit below mid thigh but above knee. :groan:

Had PT this morning and I did some reformer exercises and then we did heat followed by soft tissue work. It was one of those things that hurt a bit during massage - like does it hurt here? and then they poke at it - but I walked out of there not limping or cramping up. Much better. Now I’m home icing.

One weird thing - during exercise it’s like my brain tells my leg to move a certain way and it doesn’t move. Like something disconnected and I have to really really concentrate to get it to do what I want. :chinstroke:PT said it’s ok and it’s just weakness but it’s strange nonetheless.
 
it’s like my brain tells my leg to move a certain way and it doesn’t move. Like something disconnected and I have to really really concentrate to get it to do what I want.
I experienced this too. My PT said there can be a slight "disconnect" in the brain following major surgery. It's frustrating but this does ease as you gain strength.
 
Same thing happened to me. One leg listened well, the other seemed to be staring off into space when it was supposed to be listening :shrug:
Same one that initiated a stutter step on start up, but mostly engaged during walking.
It was just when I needed it to lift when not doing anything...I would have to put it in the car for example.
All lessened over time...
Yay for getting socks and shoes on!
Baby steps to big strides.
:dancy:
 
Sounds like you're doing really well @hikejunkie
The right amount of exercise mixed with good recovery practices.
I'll bet you're realizing the awesomeness of it all. Two new strong sturdy hips
to carry you through life. :yes!:
And to think it only gets better :happydance: A great week to you!
 
It was one of those things that hurt a bit during massage - like does it hurt here? and then they poke at it - but I walked out of there not limping or cramping up. Much better.

That’s exactly what I’m experiencing when they massage my psoas muscle, it hurts deep down in the muscle, but my whole leg is much more flexible after. The stretches can be a bit painful too, not sharp pain, but an incredible tightness that is reluctant to give, until it does. They said my muscles need to learn that I don’t have all of those bone spurs there anymore. Makes sense and is helping.

You’re doing great @hikejunkie !
 
@AJinNH - :driver::yes!:

PT today. I’ve already advised my leg to listen to what I’m telling it. :) Found myself frustrated yesterday. Just a lack of patience...again. For me, this stage is the tougher part of recovery. And it’s going to be like this for months.

My left side is angry at the right. Then my foot hurts. Then that’s fine and my butt bothers me. My back hurt yesterday and today it’s fine. It’s like the traveling salesmen of pain. Nothing severe, just...annoying. :umm:
 
You are telling yourself the right things...and I always have to recheck your surgery date.
Not even two months!:chinstroke:
All this annoying recovery stuff and poor impatient ready-to-go-NOW hikejunkie.
Vent all you like...sharing your ever changing issues shows us all things evolve, but BEHAVE...:wink:
In a few months, I bet you will be golden.:yes:
 
Uh oh @hikejunkie @Mojo333 has you in her sights! :scaredycat:She’s got a barrel full of good advice aimed right at you :idea:
Take it from me, another hopelessly impatient hipster, no matter what we do this process has its own timetable and can’t be rushed, unfortunately. Now repeat that 10 times and click your heels together :heehee:

Seriously, I hear you. Some days are very frustrating, especially the parts we don’t have any control over. Hang in there :console2:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom