TKR Hawkie's 2nd Knee

OP
OP
hawk2go

hawk2go

Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
you mentioned that you had staples. That’s what my surgeon used this time.... kinda dreading having them removed. Any advice?
I had 36 staples removed. There was some discomfort that was over within minutes, nothing lingering. I did have to ask the nurse to pause a few times and let me gather mice-elf :) :-) (:. It's a spit in the ocean compared to the pain you've endured.

@hawk2go - wow your recovery is so good for us 2nd timers to read, I wish you continued success
Yeah, it's going pretty well. I'm really pleased with my stamina, strength conditioning and ROM progress, but still working on pain management. The pain does seem to be easing over time without drugs, where daytime is easier than night so I've backed off my daytime dosages and left my full nighttime dose - 2 tylenol and 1 meloxicam. My friend gave me some pain patches with a new technology for pain relief that totally worked in less than a minute and I placed an order so I'll have some on hand.

Milestone update --> I lost my cane in the market. The significance of the lost cane is that I was well into my walk home before I realized it. I added steps because I went back to the market to see if anyone turned it in. It seems, they may have needed the cane more than I do. I'm able to do most of what I want to do and have been moving inside and outside without the cane. So, I probably don't need it anymore but I do have a spare in case I have a long day. I am comfortable walking a mile with good form and can now train on my stay-bike, 15 to 20 mins at a time, I set the limit. I was able to do my morning yoga and a 15 mins bike session on the same day. I'm also learning to do the 2 min stretch on the stay-bike when The Knee gets a little stiff from sitting too long. I have not needed a daytime nap in weeks and have been sleeping through the night consistently. I made 3 dishes for Thanksgiving dinner - string beans with ham and onions, mac and cheese casserole and sweet potatoes with Jim Beam syrup (I added fresh apples and orange zest and they were much lighter and more flavorful than traditional candied sweets). Everything turned out great. I did the prep, cook and clean in one session with no complaints from The Knee the next day. I had a wonderful day and definitely took time to acknowledge the gratitude I have for a smooth recovery.

Hi friend...:cheers: Hope all is well with you.
Hiya! I just took some time for family and friends. I hope all is well with you. eta: my name is also Susan and I have been tagged Susie-Q for much of my life, when I see your posts, I immediately smile.

Susie-Q

post-grad
Country
my name is also Susan and I have been tagged Susie-Q for much of my life, when I see your posts, I immediately smile.
:cheers::friends::loveshwr: Susan is such an unusual name these days. I never knew anyone in my age group with that name. I had no less than 4 friends named Lisa though! I guess we can thank Elvis for that. One of my really good friends is named Susan (I call her Sue) and she's 10 years older than me. Glad to know you're part of the tribe.

So glad to hear you are doing so well. I have many of the same milestones as you (I didn't lose my cane but gave it back to my brother in law on Thanksgiving, along with his walker and ice machine I borrowed) I supposed I should do an update on my own page, shouldn't I? Glad you got to spend quality time with family and friends.

OP
OP
hawk2go

hawk2go

Forum Advisor
Country
The old PT shoppe called me today. Apparently I filled out a survey the other day (I totally forgot this) and gave them a 6/10. The gentleman who called me was way more empathetic and understanding than my actual physical therapist was and took time to explain some of the nuances of recovering a TKR vs. other knee surgeries. I explained how I was unwilling to suffer for 5 days after each session while my PT tried to get me to hit some arbitrary ROM by a certain date, especially when swelling and pain are considered. We both agreed that EACH.KNEE.IS.DIFFERENT. and may require a somewhat customized course of therapy. I mentioned that if I had him I might still be working with their group since he seemed to understand my concerns. He asked me to come back and get on his schedule if my new PT doesn't work out.

Oh by the way, I scheduled a date with a new PT group after assessing that the person I'd be working with understands my goals and penchant for a gentler approach to my recovery. We shall see. I'm interesting in seeing how my own routine has helped me progress, if I am left with lingering challenges that I would not overcome and what I need to add to put me on the path to a strong (long term) recovery. My doctor ordered PT 2-3x/week for 6-8 weeks - that is not going to happen. I'll do 1-2 sessions per week in December.

OP
OP
hawk2go

hawk2go

Forum Advisor
Country
Back from PT after a 5 week break. So much better than the other therapist (therapists if I count my left knee). He patiently explained his assessment of my weak areas and the exercises I'd do to shore those areas up as well as areas where my own program had put me a good position. 108 and 5 on The Knee (118 and 0 on the left), so the extension measured a bit less than my last official measurement (4 but could be individual variance) which is interesting because I am able to do way more straight legged ADLs than before. Oh well. I'm icing now and I'll see how I fare today and tomorrow.

Catalien45

Country
Oh, good, Hawkie.... I’m so glad it sounds like you got a good match with your therapist this time!

Scanne

Country
Australia Australia
Good on ya Hawkie, your doing great! And your right about ROM scores, it depends on who is measuring.

OP
OP
hawk2go

hawk2go

Forum Advisor
Country
I'm doing well today, no added pain and actually a bit more flexibility. I was surprised about my left leg measurements, the flex feels deeper than 118 but whatever. Maybe I can improve the left now that I gaining a stronger right. The right flex surprised me a bit , too because I can get a pretty deep bend but I typically check and exercise my flex while sitting. When I'm lying down the flex does feel tighter. I'll keep gently working on those surrounding muscles.

What my PT helped me realize is that the surgeon may have aligned my knees and feet. I've always had "duck feet" (out-toeing). Prior to my surgeries if I stood with my feet straight and squatted a bit, my knees would knock. If I stood comfortably in an out-toe position and squatted, my knees would remain parallel. Yesterday PT had me try a straight footed squat because he wanted me to walk with straight feet after I told him I'd been out-toeing since I first walked. Lo and behold, I noticed that my knees remain parallel if my feet were straight when I squatted down a bit. A pleasant surprise and added to the things that make me go hmmmmm.

Susie-Q

post-grad
Country
I had that same feeling on Wed. I was able to move the bike up 2 notches while I pedaled and really felt like I had gained more ROM and bend from the last time I was there. When she measured me I was only 2 degrees more. I was 111 the week before Thanksgiving and 113 the week after. Hmmph. I do feel better sitting in a chair and feel like I can bend my knee and put my foot under the chair even just a little. She measures me lying on my back too. :chinstroke: I'm trying to consciously stretch myself more when sitting in a chair.

OP
OP
hawk2go

hawk2go

Forum Advisor
Country
I push my flex when I'm sitting, too. I wonder why lying down is the best way to measure. I do more activities that require flexion when I'm sitting or standing.

benne68

senior
Country
It's so interesting how different PTs are. My guy always measures me sitting, with my back against the wall.

jaspa

senior
Country
I had a measurement of 100 again this week lying down = however, I can't get to pedal bike around due to the non-surgical knee being semi locked. Pt feels that that leg is stopping me from advancing further since I can't do many of the exercises so they will recommend the 2nd surgery which I hope can be done soon.

Susie-Q

post-grad
Country
I think the measuring is a bit subjective. Your knee might be feeling tighter one day to the next plus it depends on how much the therapist pushes it. While I always let her know if she's gone too far, yesterday the first time I was measured I was only 111 and then she massaged me and measured again and it was 115. :chinstroke: Plus, was it lined up correctly with my hip and ankle? Seems like it could easily be off by a few degrees one way or the other.

OP
OP
hawk2go

hawk2go

Forum Advisor
Country
2nd PT session today (all other PT is non-existent now) - I mentioned at the start of the session that I had been a bit sore for the past couple days after carrying heavy bags from the grocery store about 1/2 mile away. He started with heat, then massage, then we worked (stretches and exercises) and he explained why certain structures are important during each routine. I iced when I got home. I'm learning a lot about the function of my knee and how I can strengthen the surrounding muscles to get back the things I love to do in life. Like most partnerships, when you find one that works, life changes for the better.

Funny, my spouse had a chiropractic appointment this morning at the same time as my PT. When we got home we were both icing and moaning a bit. I just looked over and said, it's better than some alternatives. :)

Scaredycat10

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
2nd PT session today (all other PT is non-existent now) - I mentioned at the start of the session that I had been a bit sore for the past couple days after carrying heavy bags from the grocery store about 1/2 mile away. He started with heat, then massage, then we worked (stretches and exercises) and he explained why certain structures are important during each routine. I iced when I got home Like most partnerships, when you find one that works, life changes for the better.

Funny, my spouse had a chiropractic appointment this morning at the same time as my PT. When we got home we were both icing and moaning a bit. I just looked over and said, it's better than some alternatives.
That is so true. A stable knee is dependent on muscles and ligaments to be in fine fettle.
One of the reasons why my physio was eager to get my muscles and ligaments in decent shape pre op. I am concentrating on the bike and seated leg press for the quads, the rower for the knee flex and leg curl for hammies.
All done very gently.
Oh and my physio's elbow when on the treatment table. Ouch! :)

OP
OP
hawk2go

hawk2go

Forum Advisor
Country
A stable knee is dependent on muscles and ligaments to be in fine fettle.
This is certainly the reason I was focused on strengthening both legs in pre-hab. I definitely understood that I would be relying heavily on my left leg to carry me through the early months and thought better muscle memory close to my surgery date would improve the recovery of my right. I was really shocked at the change in my right leg muscles after surgery. I could feel the big difference in my muscles with my hands. The right calf had a visible dent after surgery but is fine after 3 months.

btw - I had to look up fine fettle :heehee:

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rosamund Doudna
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom