TKR Hawkie's 2nd Knee

On Thursday, I went to the Barnes Museum to see the Suzanne Valadon exhibit. I love art! I am a hobbyist and I love seeing and making art. I walked around, stood around and sometimes sat for 2 hours. This is getting my life back!

The pain patches have really been a big help and have allowed me to do more without Tylenol or Meloxicam. My new PT has also been very helpful. He actually listened to me describe my pain on the back of my knee and massaged that area to find that my popliteus was knotted. So, between the pain patches and the therapy, I may have a hint on how to relieve that last bit of medial joint pain. Crossing my fingers.

I have my 3 month check-in with my OS on Monday.
 
On Thursday, I went to the Barnes Museum to see the Suzanne Valadon exhibit. I love art! I am a hobbyist and I love seeing and making art. I walked around, stood around and sometimes sat for 2 hours. This is getting my life back!

The pain patches have really been a big help and have allowed me to do more without Tylenol or Meloxicam. My new PT has also been very helpful. He actually listened to me describe my pain on the back of my knee and massaged that area to find that my popliteus was knotted. So, between the pain patches and the therapy, I may have a hint on how to relieve that last bit of medial joint pain. Crossing my fingers.

I have my 3 month check-in with my OS on Monday.
Oh major HUGE ouch!
I have that problem and it's stopping me from bending my leg to it's utmost flex [yeah, right, as if!]. That's one of the reasons why I benefit from my physio's elbow and thumb twice a week and the sports massage.
Luckily, I have had the problem before so I know it will go and I know my actual joint is just waiting for that moment and the flex will 'take off'! I'm stretching for Britain and crossing my fingers until they hurt!

It does make the first couple of rotations on the bike 'interesting' though! :)
 
It does make the first couple of rotations on the bike 'interesting' though! :)
Right. I felt the little "bubble" like behind my knee but didn't think anything of it because those stretches during rotation resolve it fairly quickly. It also made me think of a Baker's Cyst - I'm glad it's not that.

My OS and his team were pleased at my 3 month follow-up. They each checked the xrays, pulled The Knee straight, bent it and wiggled it around. The PA estimated my flex/extension at 115/2, eyeballing all the way. The OS just said I was nearly there and doing good. I asked him about pushing through pain and he said if it's just a twinge while I'm doing something, I can push a little but pay attention to how it feels the next day. If the knee is sore the next day, I've gone too far and need to pull back. He's the first person in my care team to confirm what most of us know, the penalty for overdoing it does not always show up right away, it may take a day to catch up and signal us not to do that again. The OS asked how I feel, I told him I'm okay but wish the pain would subside already. The PA said "the full recovery can take a year" - don't I know it sister.
 
Congrats @hawk2go Sounds like you are doing really well. And, how great that you have a surgeon who talks sense.

Curious about what type of pain patch are you using. I have a diclofenac sodium gel that I used on my knee prior to surgery, but it's so messy that a patch sounds like a better option.
 
I'm sorry you are still having some pain. :console2:My ROM is very similar to yours. Probably around 116 and I think 0. I get good stretching in on the bike and other exercises but then the next day I feel like Im' back to square 1. I have to back the bike up a smidge and work The Knee again during that 10 minutes and slowly scoot it forward to get to where I feel I was the previous day. It doesn't help that my bike is cheap and doesn't have any numbers or settings when adjusting the seat forward and back, only a lever and then it slides. So I have no idea if I'm improving or not or just doing Ground Hog day each day, back and forward to the same settings. I guess I'll know when I feel like I can bend it more over time.

Love that you got to go to the museum!!
 
Ground Hog day each day
That is this recovery, no?

Fortunately my pain is well controlled now after I gave up expecting the doctor/pharmacists to help me. I've stopped comparing my progress day over day because that can be super frustrating and just do what I can each day. Kinda like the 4th agreement "always do your best ... but keep in mind that your best is never going to be the same from one moment to the next". My flex is now 118 and my extension is back to 2. I'm ready to quit PT again but I think I'll just skip tomorrow's session. The massage and stretches are helpful and I have a lot of PT sessions that are still covered under my insurance this year.
 
Excellent point about not comparing one day to the next. It is really a week by week and month by month recovery. Congrats on the 118. If you feel like PT is too intense or frustrating, it could be that you could do well with fewer PT appointments--you're benefitting but maybe need them less frequently.
 
it could be that you could do well with fewer PT appointments
I think I came to this conclusion, so 1 session this week and 1 session next week it is. We'll see what the following week brings. I took a nice walk today while the weather here was spring like. Something I have not felt like doing much after those full hour PT sessions.
 
I had a chiropractic session yesterday and to no surprise at all, my hips were clearly rotated. I've been favoring the left leg for weight bearing activities and find that even when I'm standing still, I don't stand straight. My left leg is usually in front even when my torso is squared up or if everything is square, I can easily lift my right leg because I don't evenly share the weight (years of protecting that knee). Even when I sit, I lean to the left, very likely because of the rotation in hips. Well my chiro did his work on me and I was really sore last night. Today I feel good and it's easier to stand and sit straight (or at least notice when I don't), just a tiny disruption when I stand because my right knee extension is not quite 0. Making cookies today, PT tomorrow.
 
@hawk2go Everything is connected! Ever since the surgery, I've been having pain in my left hip, the result of the an osteotomy in conjunction with my TKR to straighten my leg. (My PT has given me exercises to address it.) It's interesting how our bodies find ways to compensate for problems.

So glad you are feeling better!
 
@ Hawk2go.....I’m glad you are better too. That sounds painful! My therapist regularly has me work on putting more of my weight onto my TKR knee. I guess after so much time of favoring it, it’s just natural to keep on doing just that.
Had to tell you.... after a pretty full day - Early appointment with Infectious Diseases dr ( 30 - 40 minutes drive & back), then having PICC line dressing changed there, physical therapy ( she worked me pretty hard), & then doing some tidying up & moving a few things upstairs, as I was coming down, my husband said, “ you need to get yourself some more spoons!” I got tickled, & he clarified, “ what I meant was, you need to Rest some”. He really tries to make sure I don’t get overtired, he’s aware of the ODIC. But he really likes your “ spoons theory”. It works.
Enjoy your cookies! Daughter & our 6 year old little bundle of energy grandson coming tomorrow for our annual cookie/ sprinkle mess . Tempted to try to do a few peanut butter cookie/Reese’s cookies for our neighbors. They have been so very sweet. We’ll see....take care!
 
We did cookies yesterday (more in my journal) and today met with a couple of friends for lunch, presents and drinks/cookies. Glad you got your hips rotated back in line.
 
Your cookie exchange sounds Soo fun, brings back warm memories for me! Maybe this next year my daughter & I could do something like that, maybe a small swap & party with some close friends. The one in Texas was pretty large, & my cookie was pretty involved, but I could probably swing a smaller number of them. You & your daughter are really inspiring me....... another possibility to look forward to with my new knee! . Thankyou. Merry Christmas!!
 
Everything is connected!
Indeed! The chiro adjustment was very helpful, walking and standing feel more natural now.

my husband said, “ you need to get yourself some more spoons!” I got tickled, & he clarified, “ what I meant was, you need to Rest some”.
This just made me giggle and squeal. What a lovely and supportive man.

Is anyone joining me in the Holiday ODIC? Anyone? Bueller? The cookie exchange was brilliant. Many neighbors came out for cookies and cocktails. We made mulled wine, warm spiced cider and a holiday vodka drink (vodka, cranberry juice, lime and ginger ale - very delicious). I made 3 kinds of rum balls because I don't really bake, spouse made 4 different kinds of cookies. Several neighbors baked delicious and delectable delights. On Tuesday, I drove and took care of several errands. Driving is very easy now - no challenge getting into and out of the car. On Wednesday, I walked to the market, shopped for a few last minute items and then spent several hours standing making rum balls. On Thursday, we set up the serving table outside (up and down the stairs, a lot), mulled the wine, warmed the cider, packaged the cookies then stood for about 3 hours of fun. I was tired but pretty fine on Friday but on Saturday, oh my, even my left leg was giving me some trouble. I used all my tools - ice, elevation, tylenol, pain patches, transdermal lotion and rest, much needed rest - and it is finally calming down today. I can't imagine that I will get anywhere close to that level of activity in the near future, so I should be good and it was well worth it. Just like that, a new Christmas Double Eve neighborhood tradition is born.
 
The cookie exchange sounds like a lot of fun @hawk2go. From what I'm seeing the ODIC is a crowded place after Christmas, the holiday just means too much for people to say "next year" particularly since many have been deprived of family and friends last year. I'm predicting a lot of "I'm not going to over do it" New Years resolutions this year! :heehee:
 
@hawk2go Your cookie neighbourhood tradition sounds so much fun, I love to hear all about the different lifestyles we all have as we are such a diverse community. Sadly where I live, it is very isolated ( bliss in the busy touristy season) but one must love ones own company in the Winter months fortunately I love the countryside and mostly the peace & quiet.
Rest assured you are not alone in the ODIC, I'm still paying the price, rather foolishly at 2 weeks post op, most likely under the effect of Medication, I tried to prove I was superwoman, lol knee was not overly impressed.
@FCBayern Yep, you guessed correctly that is my new year's resolution plus not to gain the weight. I've lost with this surgery ( famous last words :snork:)
 
I too love the idea of a cookie exchange! I usually make dozens of cookies (as well as candy, candied nuts and tea breads) for my neighbors at Christmas, but this year I sent my sweet husband around to explain that my TKR was going to delay this year’s treats. (Maybe I’ll send out summer sweets after recovering from my next knee replacement?)

@hawk2go I have a question for you, my surgery sister. I spent an extended amount of time standing in my kitchen today and that was followed by significant behind-the-knee discomfort. Icing is helping but my knee felt stiff and achy for much of the day and I occasionally felt a sharp pain both when bending my knee and upon standing. The pain only lasted for a few seconds but it took my breath away! It was temporary so I don’t believe there’s any real problem but I am curious as to whether you have experienced anything similar.
 
@CamGram I get something similar. When I have overdone the standing etc my knee swells up and I believe because of the swelling it compresses the nerve at the back of the knee when sitting (bending) and then standing up from a sit position. It is sharp and usually wears off after a few minutes. It’s like the zingers we all get post surgery but seem to be caused by swelling and compression. :scare:
It gets you a seat on the bench for the ODIC!:ice:
 
I spent an extended amount of time standing in my kitchen today and that was followed by significant behind-the-knee discomfort.
Absolutely Surgery Sister {smile}. Standing for long periods still cause pain though it takes longer for the pain to kick in. I think I can now stand comfortably for about 30 minutes before I have to take a walk or sit. I have also started to ride the stay-bike for 2 mins or so when my knee gets stiff and that really helps.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom