TKR Hawkie's 2nd Knee

The rest did me good. I'm back on the steady Tylenol schedule and feeling more comfortable all day long. I'm okay needing pain meds for a bit longer (whatever that turns out to be) to stay comfortable and continue good progress.

The pain is reduced or better controlled so that I'm able to complete my ADLs each day without a lot of fatigue at the end of the day. I've ditched the shower chair because I can stand and reach every part. I'm up and down the stairs more frequently, quicker and without that initial dread (am I the only one to stand at the bottom step and look at the top of the stairs like it was a mountain top?). I go from sit to stand without much effort and I can walk off the stiffness with fewer steps. I was also able to resume my daily walks this weekend and just held my cane for most of the walks, but found that I needed to cut the distance as I focus on heel/toe, tight glutes, lightly holding my core with each step. I'm comfortably sitting criss cross applesauce without much stiffness and with zero pain, so believe my flex is really coming along. My extension feels good judging from the fact the back of knee is more flush with the bed when I do my quad sets. I'll resume my easy strengthening exercises this week (leg lifts, clam shells, kickouts, etc.), if the body permits.
 
Well, I had my Covid booster on Wednesday and before I got the body aches, fatigue and high fever (102!), my knee started singing. The pain was intense and I tried all my remedies (except NSAIDs) - ice, tylenol, transdermal pain lotion but my last oxy finally did the trick. I figure I am not yet healthy and the immune response caused inflammation in my knee as an easy target. Well that's behind me now and I'm boosted, whew.
My last oxy ... :bawl:
 
Congrats on no longer needing the shower chair! Sounds like you're progressing well.
 
Wow!! This is good info to know, Hawkie! I haven't gotten my booster yet but I had a very strong response to my second Moderna last year (felt like **** for a day and a half, mild fever, aches, chills, total body soreness). If this is going to happen to me after a booster I think I will wait a bit for more healing to occur. Maybe after the first of the year...... You are right, The Knee is an easy target right now. (I've got a few oxy saved, thankfully.....)
 
I asked my surgeon when I could get the covid booster after surgery, he said not until you can stand in line to wait...duh! Otherwise he said 2 weeks.
 
@hawk2go Wow. Thanks for the warning! I'm scheduled to get mine in two weeks and now am thinking I should cancel my plans for the next day!
 
I had no reaction to my booster at all. But I didn't with first 2 shots either so I wasn't expecting one. People seem to be reacting more to Moderna shot. And there was no line, appointment at CVS, waltzed right in.
 
@hawk2go I’m getting my Pfizer COVID booster tomorrow afternoon at CVS. Just found out last night everyone can get them & I wanted to do it ASAP since my surgery is in 20 days. Hoping it goes smoothly. I felt a bit crummy for a couple days last time but nothing to bad.

You are progressing really well Hawkie! Congratulations on not needing the shower chair anymore.
 
I had a reaction to my first Moderna dose 4 days later and ended up in ER twice and on second trip had to be transferred to a bigger hospital cardiac unit. I now have a heart condition and on two scheduled meds for the first time in my life probably for the rest of my life. Guess it was great to make it to 63 without being on anything scheduled.
I did not have the second dose. Too scared after what happened after first one. My husband had both doses and will get the booster. He had no problems at all.
 
I'm good now. All my vaccines were Pfizer. I know the reactions vary and I anticipated that I might be down for a day or so and warned my work colleagues that I might be MIA, in advance. I was just surprised the knee pain kicked in first and was most intense.

The weekend was uneventful though my thigh is a still bit painful. Back to the grind.
 
@hawk2go It is a grind! I had my booster a few weeks back, Pfizer, like the first two. I had zero reaction and was pleasantly surprised at that because felt a little *****y after the first two. Anyway, glad it's all over!
 
Glad you are feeling better. My daughter (who works in the Veterinarian field), sister and good friend have all had very strong reactions to the booster, all 3 sick for 2 days..... Makes me want to definitely wait to get mine. They all got theirs in Jan/Feb last year and mine was Mar/April so I think I can wait a few months.
 
I am due my booster on Friday, had the Oxford Astra Zenica for my first two but believe they are giving the Pfizer for the booster. I had no adverse reaction, in fact felt better than I had in ages, when I had the first two and pray that this booster will be ok.
 
Hi friend...:cheers: Hope all is well with you.
 
Gosh, just reading all the comments on the booster.....it really does vary, doesn’t it? We both got ours 2-3 weeks before my TKR, after an OK from my surgeon. I also reacted, fever, stomach & passed out cold. I often do have strong reactions to vaccines. My husband, none, thankfully. Second initial shot was similar. We have not been able to get flu shots yet, I’m strongly encouraging him to get one. I will probably have to wait, still getting over the clean out surgery, and, will have the the PICC line for several more weeks. Will ask my surgeon and infectious disease dr , have appointments with both next week. I just don’t know that I want to deal with a flu shot reaction just yet.
Wow, Hawkie, you are an inspiration! It sounds like you are really progressing. Be sure & remember your words of advice to me , and others, no doubt....slow & steady, slow & steady. I’m doing better at that this time, not a lot of choice.. But I’m pretty inspired by your progress. Do take care of yourself. Quick question... I noticed in an earlier post , you mentioned that you had staples. That’s what my surgeon used this time.... kinda dreading having them removed. Any advice?
I seem to have fallen asleep, then some other interruptions, so posting this now. I. Think maybe I may get to sleep before 12 or 1 tonite, feeling pretty tired. Good luck,everyone on those vaccines. And .
 
I panicked and postponed booster till I have seen OS on the 9 December and know everything is ok. I will report back in my thread.
 
I just had a booster as I was originally given the J&J so my surgeon insisted that I had the booster 10 days prior to my op on the 7th, I was given the Moderna, fortunately the only side effects were a very heavy and extremely sore right arm, this lasted for 3days, I took paracetamol and now it's absolutely fine. Here Portugal especially the South is being extremely hard hit with the new waves of the new covid variants . Restrictions are now back in place. So I feel a bit more safer with the booster going into a hospital x

@Catalien45 Staple removal is actually painless, I dreaded mine but it was absolutely fine, the nurses are well trained so you will be fine xxx

@hawk2go - wow your recovery is so good for us 2nd timers to read, I wish you continued success
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom