BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Glad to be in this side<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by GrannyC, Apr 29, 2017.

1. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

United States United States
    @Layla thank you for the good wishes. I appreciate it. I definitely have my eye out looking for spring. It is very welcome at any time now!

@Minnie15 I always love hearing from you. Our surgeries seem so long ago at this point. Yes, we still have snow. About a week ago there was close to 2 feet on the ground but thanks to a little rain and some warmer days, a lot has melted so now it is maybe 10-12 inches left. It is supposed to be above freezing most of the week so more will melt. I’m definitely ready for spring. Hopefully the rains will subside a bit and it will warm up in the UK, too. I’m so very glad you are doing so well. You went through some very difficult times but you hung in there and you made it through. Fantastic!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hope all is well with you GrannyC.
    About Ten months out for us...we've come a long way baby.
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MyAussieGirl

MyAussieGirl post-grad

I just miss you @GrannyC but am glad it means you're doing cool things you like :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mojo333

Hoping one of my favorite Bonesmart pals is doing well and having the best day.:loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr:

• Like Like x 1
  5. MyAussieGirl

MyAussieGirl post-grad

Hope your doing well in all this Nor Easter stuff ...Hugs to @GrannyC

• Like Like x 1
  6. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

It's hard to believe it has been nearly a year since my THR! I want to say "hello" to @Minnie15 as she and I had our surgery on the same day and @Mojo333 was just a couple days later. Thankfully we have all done well. My one year check will be coming up in a few weeks so hopefully that goes well.

I haven't posted for a while but thought I'd update. I have noticed in the past 5 or 6 weeks that it has become harder to lift my operated leg into the car. I can't say that it hurts but more like you'd feel after you had done some new exercises. I haven't done any exercises and no PT. I did use my exercise bike a few times around the time this started and rather than just peddle with no resistance, I put it up a notch or two. I have used the bike in the past with no issues and you need to understand that I don't over exert myself when I exercise - not by any stretch of the imagination. While I was riding the bike, I was probably reading a book and didn't even break a sweat. I just wanted some motion as I couldn't outside and walk with all this crappy weather. Having said that though, I haven't ridden the bike since and I still am having trouble lifting my leg into the car. I can feel it a little when I lift my leg up on the bed but not as much as when getting in the car. It doesn't hurt at all at other times and I can't feel it when walking, sitting or sleeping - just when I have to left my leg. I might at times feel it slightly on stairs but again, I can't say it hurts. It feels more like after you have done something new. I wondered if possibly those muscles and nerves in there have just finally "woken up." I really am not concerned about it as I can walk for miles with no problem and I feel so much better than prior to surgery. If it stays this way, I can live with it. However, I thought I'd write about it to see if anyone else has experienced this or possibly someone else down the road will have the same issue.

I will mention it to the PA at my next appt in early May and see what she says. Then I'll let you know.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Mojo333

:wave:Hi GrannyC! It HAS been a journey, hard to believe One Year.
    I still have tenderness in my quads, more noticeable at times...I always assume it's when I've used them differently than normal or strained them? I get concerned sometimes when I can't really place my finger on a specific activity that might have annoyed something.
    I'm hoping they will do year X-ray's just for reassurance...guessing they will.
    I'm thinking that the iliopsis muscle is the one used to lift the leg so maybe you could tag Jo and use one of her famous charts to target exactly where it is weak or hurting.
    I often wonder if NOW I should follow up with some PT to target and strengthen supportive hip muscles. :shrug:
    I too walk quite a bit so have not done formal PT except light PT, mostly stretches...for 6 weeks after three months post op.
    I too feel like some of these issues are minor, especially in comparison, as long as it isn't a harbinger of a potential problem, right?
    My one year check up is actually on May 1, one year hipversary!:tada:
    I have some ongoing low back issues I am going to discuss and I sure want reassuring X-ray's!
    Hope it's just recovery stuff hanging on...for both of us!
    Hope you have a Good Week and the weather eases soon.:SUNsmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wowspring:One year already! Crazy how time flies.
    Sounds like you're doing well @GrannyC Thank you for the update.
    It's great you're not suffering any pain but you can't help but question the weakness.
    Consider tagging Josephine. Could be something she easily recognizes through all of her experience.
    Wishing you the best at your appointment in May and continued great health :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
  9. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

I guess I will take your suggestions and tag @Josephine .

Josephine, I had no pains at all until about 6 weeks ago (see my post above). I did ride my stationary bike a couple times and moved the resistance up slightly but that never bothered before. To tell you the truth, I rarely get on it. I am normally quite active most of the day but active doing household things, not exercising. I can walk a long distance and have no pain at all. The only time I feel it is if I have to lift my leg as in getting into the car, lifting it up on the bed, or if I were to try and do leg lifts which I don't do. I can lift my leg straight up as in a marching step and I don't feel anything then either. I looked at another post and found your little chart so it would save you an email. The pain I feel is at D R2F. It hasn't gotten any worse over the last 5 or 6 weeks but it hasn't gotten any better either. Do you have any idea what would cause this? Thank you so much.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I think you must have come across and old chart. I updated it last year!

Here's the current one

aa hip-references-horz.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

@Josephine It is the upper part of W R2F. It doesn’t seem quite as high up as V.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. MyAussieGirl

MyAussieGirl post-grad

Hey @GrannyC I feel for you me too different area more my behind... it's perplexing. Prayers and I am sure it's nothing terrible just bothersome ....Huge Hugs

13. Josephine

That's very like quad pain.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

14. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

15. Josephine

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
    This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
    (which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
    - how many sessions you do each day
    - enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
    etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
    - how many times a week
    - enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
    etc., etc.

16. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

@Josephine. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Hopefully I've answered your questions ok.

1. Anterior

2. Pain level when lifting my leg as when I get into car is 5.
    Rest of the time it is 0

3. None

4. No icing as it only bothers when I lift my leg. Marching step lift does not hurt. Just when leg is extended and I'm lifting all the leg as in a leg lift or getting into car.

5. No

6. Active around house most of day cleaning, laundry, cooking, etc. - no pain with any of this.

7. No structured exercise. Rode stationary bike several times with slightly increased tension about same time I noticed this problem which was about 6 or 7 weeks ago. Have not ridden it again but leg no different. Prior to that all was fine.

No exercising and no PT.

17. Josephine

These two comments are a bit contradictory. Do you not consider marching to be an exercise?

18. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

@Josephine I don't I march. I only meant that if I were to lift my leg straight up like you might when you march, it doesn't hurt. If I extend my leg out and lift it, that is when it hurts and the only time it hurts. It was fine up until about 6 or 7 weeks ago when this started.

19. Josephine

Well that's a straight leg lift.

If you are getting pain then, that's most likely quad pain which means you've been doing too much walking, exercising of the walking, SLR or similar variety.

20. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

Thank you very much @Josephine ! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. Thanks!!