Guest viewing is limited

TKR Freedom's right knee<

It is a slow process @Freedom but it will come bit by bit. Just keep trying a little at a time. It just doesn't come at the pace you want. Bummer, I know. Great that you met a "success story."
 
Thank you @sistersinhim and @kneeper

Getting ready for bed. Just found my glasses and hair clip!!!! Of course, I now have 2 new pair on order.

Gotta laugh at this, right? Four DAYS before I took action, lol.
 
Don't you just hate that Murphy's Law! At least you have a spare now.
 
It is fine for folks on here to say slow down, take it easy. Quite a different matter when it is YOU trying to slow down. I am so frustrated! I know it is 'just' 5 weeks, but I FEEL like I have been in this slow recovery mode for a year or more. I am tired of being 'helpless,' of being confined, of being limited in what I can do. I am tired of looking at things that I want to get done and having no choice but to put it off for . . . weeks? months?
I know how hard this is. Remember that we understand, because we've all been there, done that. We know what it's like to feel frustrated and have the blues. :console2:

I wonder if it would help if you look at this period of relative inactivity another way? Instead of thinking of it as just sitting or lying around, doing nothing, try to think that you are working hard at doing just what your knee needs, giving it the most helpful conditions to have the best possible recovery.

Try not to compare your first knee's recovery with this recovery. This second knee could have been in a worse condition, needing some extra work during surgery, which is causing it to take a slower path than your first knee. This knee is right where it needs to be, pursuing its own recovery. It's going to get there, but it will take a little longer.
[Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<


As for getting up from a chair and bending over "the right way," do them any way you can for now. Your technique will improve as you recover. As long as you know what you should be aiming for, you will be able to improve your technique as you get stronger.
I still bend mostly from the waist to feed my cats, but gradually I'm bending my knees more and more.

Do stairs one foot at a time. It can take months (even over four months) before you can do them one foot at a time. For now, step up first with your good leg, then bring your new TKR leg up to join it on the same step. Coming down, step down with the new TKR first, then bring the other leg down to join it. Step "up with the good, down with the bad" - or "good leg goes to heaven, bad leg goes to hell."

You are going to get there. Feel free to vent when you need to. We've all done it, so we understand.
[Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
 
Do stairs one foot at a time. It can take months (even over four months) before you can do them one foot at a time. For now, step up first with your good leg, then bring your new TKR leg up to join it on the same step. Coming down, step down with the new TKR first, then bring the other leg down to join it. Step "up with the good, down with the bad" - or "good leg goes to heaven, bad leg goes to hell."

You are going to get there. Feel free to vent when you need to. We've all done it, so we understand.

Unfortunately, the left / first knee has not recovered enough to qualify as the 'good' leg when I go down a step! Not enough bend in it yet, for the right to step down and the left to bend then follow. Which is why I need the walker for the one step to get the dogs outside.
 
Keep using the walker until you feel safe. It's much better to use it than to risk a fall.

Give it time and your first knee will be able to take more of the load.
 
So, last in home PT was this morning. She was of course no able to agree with me but said it is my choice as patient. She said she is required to follow the USA rules. I do have to have a discharge visit, which will be next Wed (after my OS meeting on Tues). That is done by her Supervisor.

So I am now on my own! Rest, ice and elevate.
 
I have posted this in the Social Room, adding it here so with luck I will be able to find it some day lol.

People can be very creative! Sharing this from another support group:

Here's something fun I created for my friends in this group. The lyrics are not exact for everyone because we are all different but you will relate with most of it. Enjoy. (I made an unprofessional recording of this. If anyone wants the link, let me know. ) { Link is at bottom, it is audio only, no video. No need to join Dropbox, when the pop up shows just close that.}

TRKR (Total Right Knee Replacement)
In the style of YMCA by the Village People, 1978

Hey friends, won’t you listen to me?
I said, hey friends, you’ve got pain in your knee.
And, there’s some things, awesome things you should know
But you don’t, want, to-wait or be slow.

Hey friends, there’s something you can do.
I said, hey friends, that will really help you.
To get rid of, all the pain that you feel.
Don’t you know, this, is, a, great deal!

Friend I’m talkin’ ‘bout T R K R.
Or I’m talkin’ ‘bout T L K R.
You can get a new knee, all the pain you’ll destroy
And you’ll have a new life to enjoy.

Friend I’m talkin’ ‘bout T R K R.
Or I’m talkin’ ‘bout T L K R.
It’ll take some hard work, but then after a year
You’ll be happy so now, don’t fear.

They will, cause you to feel no pain.
And then they’ll cut, muscle bone and more things.
And then they will, install your metal knee
So that you, can, then walk pain free.

First day, you’ll get pain meds and ice.
And they’ll help you, to the bathroom, that’s nice.
With your walker, down the hall to PT
It will hurt, but, it’s ne-cessary.

Friend I’m talkin’ ‘bout T R K R.
Or I’m talkin’ ‘bout T L K R.
Now you must get to work but your friends are with you
And we’re all here to help you through.

We’re all talkin’ ‘bout T R K R.
Or we’re talkin’ ‘bout T L K R.
You will have ups and downs, hard to straighten and bend
But it’s all worth it i-in the end.

Pain meds, for awhile are your friend.
And the PT, it all helps you to mend.
You’ll have clicking, different pains and more
But you’ll soon, feel, good at the store.

Remember, healing will take awhile.
But you’ll make it, you’ll soon style and profile.
And we’re with you, and we’ll be sure to pray
So that you, will, be, sure to say…

I’m glad I went for my TRKR.
Or, I’m glad for my TLKR.
Now it’s been a full year and I’d like to confess
Though it’s hard, I endorse the process.

If you’re thinking about TRKR
Or you’re into a TLKR,
Good friend, good friend, it will work out, you’ll see
Good friend, good friend, think how happy you’ll be!

Bill Dotson, 2016


https://www.dropbox.com/s/oym7ry3okhmr0m5/TRKR3.mp3?dl=0
 
LTKR Jan 20; RTKR June 1. Today was 6 weeks post op check w/ surgeon; first time seeing him since surgery. Xrays are fine. Just need to work on ROM. Approved to drive, can get a pedicure (can't reach my nails ugh). He said at the end of surgery, both knees, with just gravity, were at 125. I still have lots of swelling which impedes ROM.

He told me to keep working hard at PT. LOL, I am not doing PT, just ice and elevate, and my daily chores around the house, with the pets and such.

I have to return in 8 weeks; at that time he said both knees need to be at least 95. Today the left (first one) was barely at 90; lost ground and swelled as it helped me recover w/ second knee. Not sure what right knee is now; last week it was 74.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    20160712_095117 (Small).jpg
    51 KB · Views: 152
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    20160712_095122 (Small).jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 180
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    20160712_095126 (Small).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 176
Hi all,
Wonder if someone can pipe in and explain something for me. @Josephine @Celle @kneeper @Pumpkln

When the doc said (see post above) he got the knee to 125 . . . does that mean that was BEFORE any swelling set in? I just can't imagine HOW, with gravity only, my knees bent that much.

And today 3 folks on the Facebook support group posted they just had THEIR 6 weeks post op, and are at 115 or more and thrilled. UGH. Thus, I could also use some support that I am on the right path, doing my household stuff (caring for self, dogs and cats), rest ice and elevate. I am so tired of not being able to DO things because I don't have the bend.

Thank you.
 
Freedom,
Everyone is different, your ROM is fine, everyone is different. It is hard not to compare yourself to others, realize every knee heals on its own schedule, even different knees on the same person.
Your OS did not have to deal with swelling when he bent your knee immediately after your TKR. It swells up pretty quickly after that, restricting ROM.
To get swelling down: Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate on schedule as prescribed. You may want to seek out a lymphedema trained therapist, they can be an OT, PT, or a massage therapist. Check your yellow pages for one.
You can also wear your TED hose to help with swelling.
Do a few gentle Heel slides and how to do them .
Wish I could bottle patience, I'd be a millionaire.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
Freedom,

Your OS did not have to deal with swelling when he bent your knee immediately after your TKR. It swells up pretty quickly after that, restricting ROM.
To get swelling down: Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate on schedule as prescribed. You may want to seek out a lymphedema trained therapist, they can be an OT, PT, or a massage therapist. Check your yellow pages for one.
You can also wear your TED hose to help with swelling.
Do a few gentle Heel slides and how to do them .
Wish I could bottle patience, I'd be a millionaire.

OK then! Thanks for this!

Medicate - I am on my own, using ibuprofen, when I think of it -- basically when I find I am restless and can't get comfortable, that is when I realize it must be time for some pain meds.

I do have a massage therapist, she is on vacation in FLA for 2 weeks; saw her once last week and will see here again on the 28th. From then, at least 2 maybe 3 times a week.

TED hose - my OS does not use it so I don't have any. I was given some with second knee while in rehab, the doc there suggested them. Very uncomfortable, and I ended up throwing them out!

OK then, I am all set!
 
TED hose - my OS does not use it so I don't have any. I was given some with second knee while in rehab, the doc there suggested them. Very uncomfortable, and I ended up throwing them out!
I don't like them either :shocked:.
Your can also use a knee sleeve, available at most drug stores and on Amazon.

Tylenol is a better pain reliever, follow the directions on the bottle. Here is some information.
Medications: Tylenol/ibuprofen cocktail
Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers
What ever you take, take it on schedule, following either your OS instructions, or labels on the bottles.
Best to stay ahead of the pain. Restlessness is a form of pain and needs to be treated.
 
I think I agree with taking the pain meds regularly and not waiting to be uncomfortable. I also think you have got plenty of activity looking after yourself and all your pets, that's a full time job in itself. I'll join you in being frustrated about the lack of ROM and I'm 12 weeks post surgery this week. My flex has taken this long to get to 95-100 but the extension is still about 15 so I can't put equal weight on both knees, and exercises seem to be hindering not helping. I hope it will improve in time, and I'm sure yours will too.
Tabby xxx
 
Freedom I love your song. Brilliant! Nice to have a lighthearted perspective.
:dancy::giggle:
 
When the doc said he got the knee to 125 . . . does that mean that was BEFORE any swelling set in? I just can't imagine HOW, with gravity only, my knees bent that much.
Not only was it before the swelling set in but you were out cold at the time as well! You'd be surprised what we can do with your body when you are out cold!
Thanks for those links Pumpkin, not seen those before!
You mean you don't browse in the Library? :tantrum:
 
@mamazipp, not my song, someone else wrote it, but I shared it far and wide. Very glad you enjoyed it!

Josephine, I do browse as time permits. There is a LOT of information in the library on here!! For some of us (dare I say, MOST of us?) it is ALL new. I've read several library articles many times, some a few times, some once, and there are loads I've yet to get to!

Since the surgeon said it was gravity only, I figured he was not pushing the knee to increase the bend, so being out with general anesthesia wasn't something I thought about as being important.

Had the PT Supervisor here this afternoon for my discharge from inhome services. She specifically noted in my file that I will not be getting follow up outpatient PT (she couldn't find the doctor's orders online) and she said that automatically goes to the surgeon and the insurance company. So much for it being none of their business! I tried to not have this discussed, but I was not successful.
 
I'm sorry about the extra stress you've endured, and I understand. When I terminated (fired) home PT shortly after my first TKR they said they would have to come back and do a mandatory discharge evaluation. I refused, they insisted, I said, "Have fun because I won't open the door". Lol. They tried to hold my care hostage with threats: "If we don't perform the discharge eval you'll never be able to begin outpatient PT." I told 'em, "Good luck with that." Unbelievable!

I prevailed. Ultimately the home care agency faxed my discharge to the outpatient PT clinic. As a result of the whole unpleasant experience I completely declined home health services for my second TKR. No regrets!
 
@Freedom I don't like the teds hose neither but I must say when my knee swells and I wear it it really helps with the swelling.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom