Guest viewing is limited

Five Weeks Post Op

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you.are just in early recovery, heel slides.are very painful. They.do.get.easier. my.surgery was Feb 3 and they are less painful although.some.days.they.still.hurt.
 
I agree with all of the others so far. I do not LOVE heel slides and prefer to do the motion while sitting in a chair and sliding on the floor. You are very early yet so don't get discouraged.....it will come in time. Don't force it but work until discomfort and then ice, ice, ice and elevate all the time. I still sleep with my ice machine going!! Good luck!
 
Sure! Heel slides are uncomfortable for most people! You are so early in this recovery process. You likely have swelling in your knee. Just be sure you don't do them to the point of pain...just a mild discomfort. It will get easier as the swelling decreases. Also be sure you are icing and elevating your knee (toes above the nose) as much as possible during the day.

Here are some basic recovery articles from our BoneSmart Library for you to read:

First are the mantras ....

- Rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- If you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- Never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And then the articles in order of importance.

Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Also be sure you are icing and elevating your knee (toes above the nose) as much as possible during the day.
They ( the hospital or rehab facility) have not had me elevate. They have had me icing and laying flat on my back but have never mentioned the elevation...Should I ask them? THANKS!!!!:)
 
Hi @suzzee2000 - when I was in hospital we did not elevate, and it was not encouraged. I asked and they told me that keeping the leg flat helped with extension, as some people have big probs with that later. It was only a week or so after leaving hospital when my knee was very swollen and hard to bend, that a PT suggested I try elevating above the heart to help the lymph 'drain' and the swelling go down - but then, only for a short period a couple of times each day. I personally found elevation quite uncomfortable ....
 
Hi @Tiger Fan - I think heel slides are totally evil, and hate them with a vengeance. There are lots of different slides. With some of them, it helps if you get a big ziplock bag and either place your foot on it, or in it. It makes your foot super-slidey and really does seem to make things easier, as it reduces the friction between your foot and the sliding surface.
Another good bending exercise is to sit on a desk/table with your legs dangling. Then try and bend your operated leg backwards under the desk. If you are feeling very virtuous, you can give it a gentle help a long with your other leg.
I had a decent bend but circumstances have set me back again, so I can really feel for you, as I too am suffering with heel slides and every other bending exercise at the moment to regain ROM.
X
 
Hi @suzzee2000 - when I was in hospital we did not elevate, and it was not encouraged. I asked and they told me that keeping the leg flat helped with extension, as some people have big probs with that later.
I have not heard that @dogwheels but that makes perfect sense as to why my extension is Zero now!!!
Thanks for your reply!
 
Same here with the elevating not done at all in hospital,I hate the heel slides Physio told me to sit on edge of bed make it higher with cushions and lift knee then bend back I do this every morning hope this helps
 
@suzzee2000 - I think there may be something in this as I have had no problem at all with extension and have never had any exercises to improve it. Evidently my OS's instructions are quite firm over this as he maintains it is far easier to improve a bend later than struggle with extension. Ergo get the extension right from the outset and the rest will come with time.
Thanks @yiayia3 - haven't tried that one. Although I am having to go gently, I will give it a go as every little helps.
X
 
yes everything gets better and better in time. Just give it time. At almost 10 months out, I can do everything that use to be painful. Hang in there!:)
 
They ( the hospital or rehab facility) have not had me elevate. They have had me icing and laying flat on my back but have never mentioned the elevation...Should I ask them?
Why - do you think you need their permission to do what's common sense? Just elevate! Read the articles Jamie left you - one of them is about how to elevate properly.

As for the heel slides, the trick is to make them, easy. Either borrow your kids skateboard or put a plastic bag or plate under your foot so you can slide it easily. Then, while sitting on the edge of the settee or chair, pull your foot back as far as you can without any discomfort. Never, ever go to the point of pain. Stop before that. Do about 4 or 5 at a time and every 2-3 hours during the day. If you do more, of course it's going to hurt and literally be a pain!

You might like to read the potted version of my recovery to see how little exercising I did! Knee recovery - UK style
 
@Tiger Fan

Everything gets easier with time...lots of time, however. Don't rush things as you are still in very early healing phase. Less is more now. (I should have listened to my own advice).
 
...trouble with heel slides. They are so painful and I can't slide that far.
See the mantras, especially this one:-

- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you

There are no exceptions.

So don't do them to the point of pain, or at all if they always hurt.
 
I elevated from the beginning in the hospital, even the doctor came in and checked and took the pillow under my foot and folded it in 1/2 so I could elevate even higher. My extension started at 17 and my PT told me that we are going to get extension before we worry so much about ROM. Now my extension is -0- and all work now is on bending. Little by little it is coming, everyone is different. At 16 weeks I am only at 115 and others with surgery on this site who had TKR's after me, some have a better bend...but we all have different knees.
 
Yesterday, my PT told me that it looked like my surgical leg had better extension than my non-surgical leg! I also despise heel slides. I was doing them on the bed and then I discovered it was much easier to do them stretched out on our leather couch. The slippery surface makes it so much easier. My PT also advised me to do seated heel slides where I bend the leg under a chair. He likes me to cross the non-surgical leg over the leg at the ankle to give it a little push.
 
I wish I could say I feel a lot better, but in some ways I feel like I'm going backwards. I started out patient PT yesterday. I went to this PT prior to surgery. He told me my in home therapy was too aggressive. I have a lot of swelling. My measurements were not good . I've tried to exist on Tylenol since last weekend. I couldn't get comfortable at all tonight. I finally got up and took a pain med. I'm starting to feel better now. My new exercises are a lot easier. I need to get this knee calmed down.
 
Sounds like you are doing well. Is there any reason why you have just been taking tylenol? I would suggest you take more pain medication. You are only five weeks out and you can progress much more if you are not in pain. Also keep icing and elevating. Once you get rid of the swelling you will have so much less pain. Good luck!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I absolutely agree with Jozilla!! Five weeks is too early to limit your pain meds. And, don't forget swelling and stiffness ARE a form of pain - they need to be managed appropriately. Also, make sure you're elevating properly and icing LONG and OFTEN. At five weeks, I was basically living on my ice machine still, as well as medicating by the clock.
 
I finally got up and took a pain med. I'm starting to feel better now. My new exercises are a lot easier. I need to get this knee calmed down.
Gee, Tiger, if everyone was like you, we'd have no forum! You are quick to figure things out.

Welcome!! And keep up the recent adjustments you have made.

My only advice would be about pain med. Sometimes people go from taking whole pills to taking no pills because they start to feel better and tire of the side effects. So that's what the line down the middle of the pill is for: cutting them in half (although I've never heard a doctor talk about splitting pain pills!). Take whatever dosage is effective, at the intervals that work for you. It's not a sign of weakness, and you don't get to graduate to the next grade by cutting them out. It's just a reflection of just how hard this surgery and recovery are.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom