BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

Depression/post-op blues - open for all

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Josephine, Jan 17, 2016.

1. aardvark3

aardvark3 Junior Member

Ireland Ireland
    I did have a previous history of depression, although mild one - but i would never ever want it to come back! Exclusively NOT post op when one is so helpless... I was just probably lucky one to end only with some low moods, frustration and "delusions of uselesness" - simply something you can beat if you have hobby. Started my first 3D baubles project and it literally saved me from depression! i find it very compelling and the same time it calms me down, i'm focused on creativity and usually it ends how i want it to be (or better). Very satisfying, quite easy and also brings me some profit.

2. danabanana

danabanana Junior Member

Canada Canada
    I appreciate this post so much. I had no clue I'd experience post op blues. I had extreme anxiety pre surgery, but thought I'd feel relief after. I went in for core decompression on my left hip, what was supposed to be day surgery, but ended up admitted because of post op low blood pressure and unmanaged pain. I was a mess in there and thought it was mainly because of being admitted when I thought I'd get to go home. Then in the middle of the night I had a nurse who I didn't know, answer my bell when I had to pee and she made me cry. My nurse was bringing me a commode because I couldn't get up yet to use the Walker due to my low bp so when this other nurse came she insisted I use the Walker, but not explaining to me kindly but rather sarcastically stating "So, at home you're planning on using a commode then...." I was so confused and baffled by her tone, not to mention in pain, doped up on pain medication so my mind was fuzzy, feeling like garbage from the earlier anaesthesia, dizzy from the low bp, and exhausted from no sleep, and now feeling so vulnerable and embarrassed about needing a commode that I couldn't explain myself so instead I just sobbed and asked her to leave.
    The morning before I was discharged my OS came to see me because he claimed to not understand why I was in so much pain..... ummm, you cut open my thigh and drilled into my hip 6x, so is that supposed to tickle? I felt so belittled. I explained to him how I'm tough and I've weathered a lot of pain, especially this past year and a half with chrohn's and rheumatoid arthritis, so when I actually verbalize I'm in pain, trust me, I'm in pain!
    So here I lie in my bed at home now 5days post op, grateful I'm home and out of hospital, but feeling sad and weepy. Stuck in bed because I can't get far on crutches with low blood pressure, pain, and fatigue. I'm to stay off my leg for 4 weeks until I see my OS for xrays.

Anyhow, just taking it one day at a time and I'm grateful to have found this forum.

3. Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @danabanana - I was so sorry to read your post. I can fully understand how upset and let down you must feel. The anxiety in the build-up to surgery is something to contend with but, as you rightly say, we ride that in the firm hope that we are moving towards a positive conclusion.

That unsympathetic nurse's attitude was unforgivable. I had my second THR surgery 3 weeks ago and was attended by one nurse on 3 occasions who clearly had no idea of basic nursing practice, so can well understand how vulnerable you must have felt at a time when you needed understanding and support. I am also concerned that you were discharged while still experiencing pain and with your BP so low. I have relayed details of my personal experience in the feedback form provided to me and, once you feel a little better, would urge you to do the same. We owe it to our healthcare providers to be made aware of any shortcomings in order that they can be addressed and to ensure that others aren't exposed to the same experiences.

Meanwhile are you taking your medication at the prescribed intervals and do you have ice gel packs, which need to be used almost continuously, to ease the pain? If you are finding that the medication is not managing the pain then your cocktail may need to be adjusted until it works. We are all different so don't assume that what you have been given is the only solution to pain control.

I hope you have good support at home and managing with day to day activity, food etc? That is very important.

The first thing is to get the pain managed as it will drain your emotions, then we can look at other ways to lift your spirits. Please keep in touch - we all care and are here to help so you are not alone. :console2:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

(Sigh) there is always that one member of staff who is having a bad day or just doesn't want to be there. Ruins the experience for patients who are feeling very vulnerable and needy. I agree with Ms Muffet - when you are feeling better be sure that area gets your feedback. Doing this will not only help other patients but it will also give you a bit of closure.

To fight the post op blues I spent time with my feline friends, watched old movies and stayed logged on to this forum. This too shall pass!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. danabanana

danabanana Junior Member

Canada Canada
    Thank you @Miss Muffet and @Jaycey for helping me feel less alone.:console2:

I'm icing, elevating, and taking my pain medication as prescribed. I spoke to the PCC relating to my experience in hospital. I actually work there in different capacity, but have been off on medical leave since July of last year related to a chrohn's disease diagnosis. It's been a rough road, as just as I'd gotten to a more manageable point with my crohn's, I found out I had AVN in my left hip. Anyhow, drifting off track here, sorry, I tend to ramble......lol......I was reassured by the PCC and validated, and honestly thats what I needed; to feel validated. I wasn't looking to have someone berate her for her bad bedside manner and sour tongue as I could have done that myself but chose to quietly ask her to leave me instead. What I needed was for someone to have my back.

I'm still feeling the emotional and mental roller-coaster. It's hard being so dependent when I'm so naturally independent and the type of wife/mom who does so much for everyone, even while limited with pain and illness. I covered all the bases in preparation for these next couple months where I'm out of service, however I hadn't anticipated how I'd cope emotionally with feeling so useless and much like a burden. So today I placed a 911 to my bestie who brought me treats and knitting supplies. I had mentioned to her how I'd like to give knitting a go during my time as an invalid lol. I used to crochet like a boss and found it soothing, so I figured this would be a new challenge. After watching a tutorial on YouTube this afternoon, my family can now look forward to getting scarves from me for Christmas hahaha :happydance: Both my Son's (17 & 20yrs) and my other half are thinking I've lost my marbles so I'm thoroughly amused. Marathoner turned bed ridden Knitter....it's quite a change. I just keep telling them that they are gonna love their man-scarves teehee:heehee:

dana.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  6. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Great idea @danabanana ! Something creative to keep you occupied. Love the colour!

Just remember - all this is temporary. You won't be dependent on everyone for very long. Just allow you body time to heal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Miss Muffet

@danabanana - so glad to hear you followed up your complaint. The last thing we want to do is complain but there are times when it just has to be done, so we'll done you. Completely understand about that feeling of being emotional and dependant but, as Jaycey rightly points out, this isn't forever and the best bit is things then definitely gradually improve. The knitting idea is great distraction and how neat are your stitches?! You've turned things around already :happydance:
    Don't forget where we are and keep us posted with more knitted goodies.

8. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

@danabanana I just remembered - the shop where I work just started carrying this book: Knitted Birds Just think, you could knit yourself a whole flock! :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. danabanana

danabanana Junior Member

Canada Canada
    Thank you ladies!!!! Knitting birds would be hilarious. I have a cousin that knitted cartoon characters for awhile. They were a riot!

So, I've had a rough couple days...some tears and some despair, but thankfully the knitting has been very soothing. I've been switching back and forth between the blue one that I'm using to practise different stitches, and this multi coloured one which is beginning to look rather scarf-y. :egypdance:

dana.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. Miss Muffet

Love it @danabanana! For a novice I'm impressed. We all ride that emotional roller coaster so you must never feel alone. Just keep coming back here for company :friends: and knitting updates of course.

11. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Love the multi-coloured one! Well done! I think you have a great solution to beating the post op blues.

12. danabanana

danabanana Junior Member

Canada Canada
    Thank you @Miss Muffet and @Jaycey. My other half went back to work on on Thursday and every day since he comes home and into the bedroom after work to check on me, takes one look at me and giggles. Not sure he's ever going to quite get used to seeing me knitting. haha

• Like Like x 1
  13. knightowl

knightowl New Member

United States United States
    Five days hip replacement post-op now and so far I have not given into depression. I am so fortunate to have family and friends that I have relied on, not only a primary caregiver, but also friends and neighbors that truly are concerned and willing to help. Just having someone to talk to makes all the difference in the world.

I will see my incision today for the first time and hopefully I don't get bummed out with that. On the other hand it is a badge and a reminder that I could be walking with a cane or crutches if I was not fortunate enough to have this surgery.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

You are a very lucky guy @knightowl ! Having people around you who truly care can make all the difference in the world during this recovery.

Why don't you start your own recovery thread in the hip replacement recovery area. It's a great way to document your progress. Sometimes a look back on how far you have come helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Miss Muffet

How's the knitting going @danabanana? Longing to see some of your latest productions!

16. danabanana

danabanana Junior Member

Canada Canada
    Thanks @Miss Muffet,
    The Flu has been running through my house and I was the last one "standing" until this morning when I woke up with fever chills, cough, and sore throat. Goes well with my surgical pain.... bleck. :dead:
    So knitting took the back seat this past week but here's the progress up to then. :)

dana 1.jpg

17. Miss Muffet

Wow! That's wonderful and a great colour. Wish TEDs were that attractive ......
    So sorry to hear about the 'flu. Not what you needed. :kickedout:
    Lots of fluids and rest - you need to be fit for Christmas :santa sleigh::reindeerlights:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Cas

Cas Senior

@danabanana Hi your knitting is amazing. I find it hard to concentrate for long on one thing so I think you're brill. Sorry about the flu - that's all you need to make you feel rough but it will pass and each day/week you will feel better. You are doing well. Keep it up am sure we will all be dancing this time next year.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. Cas

Cas Senior

:dancy:just read Miss muppets post. Agree with all she said. I too am following you so keep us posted.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

@danabanana So sorry you caught that nasty flu. Hope you are feeling better now. Love the scarf! You are one knitting machine!

• Friendly Friendly x 1