BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

Depression/post-op blues - open for all

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Josephine, Jan 17, 2016.

1. FVSTEIDL

FVSTEIDL New Member

United States United States
    I am very sorry that you're on that emotional roller coaster. I've had 13-15 surgeries, 8-10 were orthopedic. Both hips in 2011, three months apart. Even though I had been through shoulder, knee, ankle, and biceps surgery I was very nervous for my first hip. I did know that physical therapy was the number one most important thing for me. I stayed in a nursing home after both hips because you get two a day PT sessions. I broke my foot the first week of the first hip. It was challenging. Watch the pain meds. Codeine gives me bad dreams, vicodin has no affect. Sitting in the nursing home can get boring, lonely and a bit depressing. Also, the criticism of the girlfriend for hip #1 didn’t help. I didn’t ask for her help on hip#2 and felt much better about myself.

My suggestions:
    Whatever you need to do to motivate yourself to get the PT, DO IT. PT is #1 in my book. It will make you feel better, more confident when you see the improvements, albeit slowly. Watch what meds you use. Advil should do fine by now except when you stretch the scar tissue in the Gluteus Medias (posterior approach). Get the right support people but try not to lean on them too much. Be tough. It’s a major surgery. I watched videos of the procedure before I had it. Might not be a good idea for everyone. Read other people’s posts. See how many have gone on to active lives. You can do it. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • FVSTEIDL

FVSTEIDL New Member

And the detailed memories are starting to come back. Being a guy, I obviously was concerned with other things. Loosing the hair-not a concern for me. For you, it'll grow back. Focus on healing. If that's a recent photo of you, you look just fine. Sitting on the toilet WAS a hassle. Sleeping WAS a hassle. I role around and sleep on my side. I went 48 hours without sleep. That freaked me out. I was very disciplined with the PT and healed well. I ran duathlons last year but, the first months after surgery were very scary. I was afraid to walk in the grass, thick carpet, any uneven ground. I wanted solid, level, smooth ground. Another thing that I found weird is that my large muscles (Glutes, quads, etc.) came right back. The little ones that you use to put one leg over the other & tie your shoes was S-L-O-W to recover.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • danabanana

danabanana Junior Member

Canada Canada
        Hi ladies and Gent!!!! Thanks for all the encouragement. :loveshwr:

Made it through the Christmas weekend. Our furnace died 5days before, so that threw a wrench in the holiday plans and budget. Streesssssfulllllll!!! 2 days and empty pockets later, we had heat again. Phew!
        Got through that flu bug as well. That was a drag. I slept for 3 days and was on a strict regime of fluids and Nyquil.
        Last week I saw my surgeon for 4 week post op check. Nothing to report except my incision looks good...he didn't seem concerned with the muscle cramps/spasms I'm having in thigh nor the sharp pains and aches behind my hip bone. He said I'm doing the right stuff...ice and elevating. Too soon for xrays due to edema. So back end of January for xrays and an mri after that to see if my femoral head is behaving. Fingers crossed!

So, still finding my way through the blues....this time of year doesn't help the good feelers-cold and dark and stuck indoors. Bleck. But I'm plodding along, one day at a time, and knitting my way through the boohoo's. I'll post a pic soon. :ok:

Hugs all around!!! :friends:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
        • Sommers16

Sommers16 Senior

Hi, bionic friends!

I haven't posted in ages and do you know why? Because as hard as it may be to believe right now, recovery does take you to a better place. The road can feel long and lonely, but hang in there!

I had THR in May of 2016, so it's not super recent, but at 7 months post op, it's still recent enough to remember each challenge and recovery stage and to not be 100% yet.

After my surgery I had momentary "buyer's remorse" and thoughts of "What did I DO?" But today, I'm in less pain and truly grateful to have it behind me.

Each of our stories is different. But if you've needed joint replacement chances are really good that the surgery was well warranted and your life was characterized by pain and discomfort. Now you have a new normal. A new set of challenges. It isn't an automatic flip of the switch that everything is immediately better. And it isn't as if the pain you are feeling now was caused by an optional surgery such as cosmetic calf implants. And the post-surgical pain isn't permanent.

Here at the end of the year there's so much talk about how bad 2016 has been with recaps of tragic world events and celebrity deaths. Undeniably there have been low points. But a new year is on the way and you, friend, have so much to be hopeful for. Wherever you are in your recovery, know you aren't alone.

• Like Like x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 2
          • lmb

lmb Junior Member

I wish I had found this site before my TKR. I would not have had the surgery. Mayo clinic told me in January that emotionally I was not ready to have major surgery. Every other Dr said "do it" you will feel so much better and it might help your anxiety and depression. NOT

• Cas

Cas Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
            @lmb Oh dear you sound so down. What's the matter can I help in any way. I had my hip replaced 11 days before your op.

• danabanana

danabanana Junior Member

Canada Canada
            @lmb sending you big hugs. We are here for you.

• lmb

lmb Junior Member

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Tree

Tree New Member

I am 16 weeks post op LTHR. I was home for 3 1/2 months before returning to work. I was off two weeks prior, due to not being able to walk. I had a manual labor job that included a lot of walking and I just couldn't do it any longer. As many have stated, I too dealt with depression and anxiety about a month into recovery. It hit me like a ton of bricks. At first I didn't know what was happening. I would have these periods where I would stare into space, not talk or eat. I would cry uncontrollably and couldn't sit still. My daughter and husband were there with me, and it helped to be able to get me out of "my own head" so to speak. At my 6 week postop my OS said it was totally normal and it would pass. To get out of the house, start walking more, keep busy and do not allow it to take over. Pretty much the same advice my daughter of 18 said. She was and is a God's send for me. I have had more hair than usual come out and I have hypothyroidism which I loose a lot anyway. So that has been depressing within itself. I had in home health care for 6 weeks and it was great. My incision looks good, but have been wondering here recently why it feels bumpy some and a little firm, not to mention the numbness that exists in and around the incision. After finding this forum (which I should have searched for during my early recovery days, since I had plenty of time at home) I have found out that massaging Vit E on it will help considerably. I am all for that. Unfortunately, my back decided to act up starting at 8 weeks postop and that hindered my healing somewhat because I was having difficulty walking and doing some of my PT. We worked around it, I visited my PM Physician and it seems to be better, but I do still have a bit of a gait issue, not bad. I will be thankful when I can walk well like I once did. All in all.... I am blessed for having the surgery. I am out of my depression and able to do more with my family than I've done in almost 2 years. It does take time and patients, but I know that I still have a long road to full recovery. Thank all of you for your input, it really does help, even this far out postop.

Blessing to all!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

@Tree Welcome to BoneSmart! So glad you found us! Why don't you start your own thread in the hip recovery area so that we can support you. Sounds like you are really doing well. I am so glad you conquered the depression. Many people experience this post op. But it does ease. Here's a thread about it from our Library Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it.

• danabanana

danabanana Junior Member

Canada Canada
                How's the hip crew doing now that we are into 2017 and made it through the holidays? The month of January is recognized as a time when depression is at its peak, so I wanted to send out some hugs and toss some glitter to you all from my Igloo here in Canada. Haha

I've taken a knitting hiatus. I think I overknit. It's like that time I had 3 too many shots of Tequila....oy! No, actually it's actually more like having been on a long road trip...you enjoy driving, but after 3 very constant days of it, everytime you close your eyes you just see road . Yah, so I knitted myself into a knitting coma. Haha

Anyhow, I wanted to share a recent thing that happened. After my checkup a couple weeks back with my OS, he told me to begin taking 2,000ui of vitamin D daily, explaining it's important roll in our bone health. After some research I opted for a highly absorable liquid softgel vitamin D-3. Since taking it, I have now noticed a shift in my overall mood..... Like some of the gloom in my disposition has lifted. I'm feeling less "Eeyore" and more "Winnie the Pooh". Haha

Yay vitamins! :-D

• Like Like x 1
                  Last edited: Jan 18, 2017 at 9:27 PM
                • Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

@danabanana thanks for checking in here! Sounds like you have turned the corner - well done. And yes, vitamin D is important for bone growth. Since this time of year can be very dark and cold we may not get enough. Glad you are seeing the benefits of taking it. Here's a thread from the nutrition section of our Library about Vitamin D.