Guest viewing is limited

Depression/post-op blues - open for all

@Lee0521 - I hope this finds you well and healing.

I am just taking Ibuprofen now for the stiffness/tightness/achiness. That last word may not even be a word, but you know what I mean- the aches.

I have resumed driving and working from the office, so taking the prescription pain medicine and muscle relaxers isn't feasible. I haven't put the bottles away just yet, because I thought I might need them at night to sleep. But honestly I've been so worn out at the end of the day, that I fall asleep without thinking much of the lingering physical discomfort.

As for walking for walking's sake, I can't say I am throwing the door wide and forging that just yet. I'm trying hard to not need the cane, and walking without the cane currently isn't a long distance proposition. My operated leg is still tender and isn't wild about having full weight on it. I can tell it is getting better, but for right now, I am trying just normal walking around the house without the cane. Some tries are better than others.

How are you?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@ACDCJen - thank you for sharing your struggles and feelings and accompanying us all on this journey of joint replacement.

You have certainly been through a lot and I hope you find this community brings you comfort and support.

How is your ankle these days? Is your knee replacement still on track to occur? How are you feeling mentally?
Thinking of you!
 
@ACDCJen - thank you for sharing your struggles and feelings and accompanying us all on this journey of joint replacement.

You have certainly been through a lot and I hope you find this community brings you comfort and support.

How is your ankle these days? Is your knee replacement still on track to occur? How are you feeling mentally?
Thinking of you!


Oh, you are so sweet to think of me! I feel as though I am doing better. Just waiting to find out from my doctor if I tore my calf muscle. At least it wasn't my Achilles, which I was fearing! It hurts, but I'm making a point to stretch it and walk without crutches around the house. Once I start PT for my ankle, it will get better quickly! As for the TKR, my doctor wants to make sure my ankle is able to withstand the surgery and recovery, so I'm hoping it won't be too long. When I see him in August, I'm going to try to get him to schedule it. That is keeping me moving forward with my ankle recovery. I want to know what a "normal" knee is like!

Thank you for your thoughts! I am doing better. I hope you are well too!

Jen
 
@Sommers16: You and I had surgery one day apart so I value your feedback. I am taking 1/2 oxycodone per day and 1 Tylenol extra strength. I am also back to the office, (6 hours per day until next week, then back to full time)but I am not bothered by the semi-drowsiness of the oxycodone. It actually helps me get through the day by keeping me more relaxed.

I also walk in my apartment without the cane, but use it for distance walking. I cannot go too far without it. I sometimes try without my cane and I can walk a few blocks, but the next day I am sore. I am still depressed, but that is basically my nature. I was born sad. :shrug:

I long for the day when I can walk normally! Did you doctor tell you how much longer you will need a cane?
 
I am finding myself dealing with depression -- a rare experience for me -- because of the forced sedentary lifestyle. Walking more than short distances is not yet an option (my THR was April 7), and I have been active in the outdoors pretty much all my life. Rest so my body can repair itself is not an easy pill to swallow, but it's the only viable choice.
I realized in the last few days that my spiritual practice is being in Nature, and going outside in Tucson this time of year is not a good option. I've made the trip up to a "sky island," (what we call the mountain ranges here) where temperatures are more moderate, even comfortable. We just booked a week at an Airbnb on the coast north of Sand Diego, so I can do short walks on the beach, hang out and watch the waves.
I am hoping that small self-care steps will help improve my mood as I go through this faze.
 
I am just almost two weeks out from surgery and for the past two days have been feeling anxiety at the pit of my tummy. Not in a lot of pain but feeling like I'm just spinning my wheels not going anywhere. I have been active on this forum it helps. And @TrailGuy as I am in Tucson now I understand not going outside. But I know when I go home it will be worse. It at least gets cool here at night.
 
@Lee0521 - Hi, and thanks for your update. The doctor hasn't assigned any timeframe for my using the cane. He says everyone is different. This week I have been trying more and more to not use the cane, but as you mentioned, I too am sore afterwards. I feel soreness in both hips. I do believe it will eventually go away.
I hope you feel some encouragement today. We aren't where we want to be yet, but we aren't where we've been!
 
I am just almost two weeks out from surgery
@belweav - 2 weeks is so, so, so early.
Right now rest, icing, medication on schedule, and the rest of the BoneSmart mantras are key. Don't put the pressure on yourself for "going anywhere." Keep plugged in here for support. Your frustration is normal, but this recovery takes time and patience. :friends:
 
@TrailGuy. Being in nature was the place I went to for spiritual and emotional centering.

I believe in the healing power of nature, used to be able to sort of feel what seemed like almost wisdom, a type of communication ( no English words, of course) between myself and an old tree or even an ancient rock.

How I wish I were in Big SUR right now, but id settle for mount Charleston if I could sit in a car.

I just feel so ALONE......



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@TrailGuy - thank you for sharing your feelings. Hopefully your upcoming trip will be therapeutic. In the meanwhile, are there any indoor activities you enjoy like reading, puzzles, or movies? It is hard at times for the pain and challenges of recovery to not become the entire focus of one's life. Distractions can help focus attention from negative thoughts to positive ones. We support you here and wish you the best!
 
@Sommers16 I'm trying to keep that in mind. That two weeks is early. And I have been resting. Just trying to keep positive about everything. Thank you for your encouragement. It does help.
 
@Sommers16: "We aren't where we want to be yet, but we aren't where we've been!"

How true! I try to keep that in mind. Unless you have experienced chronic, debilitating pain, it is impossible to imagine or explain to someone. Just getting out of a chair and not being in pain is exhilarating. The sickening feeling that I used to have each morning when I knew that I had to go through another day of torture is gone. We still have a long way to go to being 'normal', but being sore is nothing like what we went through before the operation.
 
@TrailGuy: I understand your depression. It can really play a part on how our bodies recover. This entire experience is so traumatic. I see that a lot of people on this blog were once very active, which makes this all the more difficult. I used to walk home from work every day (approx. 1 hour) and it kept my mind and body active. How I miss that! However, this is the 'new normal' for a while to come. The beach sounds lovely....I hope that improves your mood. I saw a young woman in a wheelchair yesterday at the pet store. She had no legs. For a long time to come, when I start to get really frustrated and sad, I will think of her.
 
Does anyone know what the standard time is for getting off of cane use? I am almost 3 mos. LHR and am still on pain meds and using a cane. I am still depressed. When is it going to end???:shrug:
 
@Lee0521 there is no "standard time" for no longer needing walking aides. Typically what happens is you start leaving the cane behind. And yes, many hippies still need pain meds at the 3 month stage. Are you icing and elevating at all?
 
I am 4 months post op at times I find myself using my cane. I too wonder how long it will take to walk without a cane. I have been told that it's going to take time. In June I had mild DJD then in Jan found out the hip had collapsed. From June 2015until Jan 2016 I was being treated for bursitis. Guess I am inpatient Would just like to be normal again.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Lee0521 & @Tux - just reinforcing what @Jaycey has said about "normal" waiting time for healing and progress- my surgeon said there is no normal, so stop looking for it and don't make comparisons.

Now on one level, I totally get where he is coming from. How can THR recovery be standardized when there are so many variables among us of prior condition? It's just not apples to apples.

As a patient, however, and not always a *patient* patient, I still want those answers. I do want there to be some kind of table to reference. But even if there were one, it would be pointless. My month 3 post surgery simply cannot be the same as someone else's month 3 who did not have my body, my age, my surgeon, my recovery, and on and on.

I know it is frustrating. I know it can feel like such a tiring, lonely struggle. The uncertainty of what is to come (or what isn't to come) is hard.

But you still have two things to hold on to: 1. That the surgery is over and the ground you've gained is something to be proud of and 2. Other people do understand, and are not only supporting you here, but are experiencing similar challenges and feelings within their own unique recovery journeys.

My surgeon says full recovery takes a year. I've heard and read that 18 months is also a good estimate. And I too on days feel like that year may as well be the year 2857 in the future.

The important thing to remember is you are headed in the right direction. Some days there will seem to be gusts of wind to fill the sails on our boat, and other days, there's just no breeze.

As trite as it sounds, do hang in there.
 
@Sommers16: This is going to take a year? I will have to walk for another year with a cane? Why did I have this operation? I am still in pain, I still have to use a cane, only now I have bursitis in my right arm from using it for 13 months and I have horrible side effects from the oxycodone + mega back pain.

@Jaycey: I am icing, elevating, massaging, taking breaks when I walk, taking pain medication. I thought I would be okay by now. A 'new person' as my surgeon told me. I want/need to take a vacation and how can I with a stupid cane?

If I sound frustrated, I am. My beloved cat of 16 years died on Friday and now I am so stressed that my hip is causing me a lot of pain. I am crying all the time which is making things worse. I just want this TO BE OVER!!!
 
@Lee0521 - I am sorry to hear of the loss of your loved one. I had a cat pass away last year. She was 15 and much loved. There is never a "good" time for it to happen, I suppose, but I know the loss during your recovery has to be particularly difficult. My condolences to you.

I did not mean that you will be using the cane for another year. In fact, my intention was the opposite. Not to discourage, but encourage. I am sorry to hear you are in such physical discomfort.

Feeling frustrated is perfectly normal. But feeling "bad" for not being "normal" is counter productive, as "normal" is anything but clear cut.

No one can tell you with precision when things will improve. For me it has been very gradual and subtle. Even the general guidelines about improvement from source to source aren't consistent.

My surgeon said full healing of the tissues takes a year. But obviously, we have functioning restored before that.

When is your next follow up appointment with your surgeon? Is this person easy to talk to?

I remember one appointment where my surgeon asked how things were going. I was in pain and frustrated, so I replied, "I know this healing pain and the trials of recovery are only temporary. But I am having episodes of 'buyer's remorse.'" (As in why did I do this?)

My surgeon put my pre-surgery x-ray up and said, "Look at THAT. Buyer's remorse? I don't understand that at all."

Obviously I don't know the fine details of your particular orthopedic needs, Lee0521, but you had the surgery because you needed the surgery. And yes, it stinks that recovery has not been smooth, and I wish there was an Express Lane for you. But you could not have continued the way you were and achieved well being and pain free living.

Here's how our BoneSmart site has addressed the topic of hip replacement recovery time in excerpts below:

There is no definite answer, as each individual’s situation differs significantly from anyone else’s ...

To be more specific, health care providers refer to a patient’s hip replacement surgery recovery time and rehab into two segments – short-term and long-term ... Long-term recovery involves the complete healing of surgical wounds and internal soft tissues and a return to normal life activities. There are many factors that can contribute to recovery time, but typically patients can return to normal life activities within 3 to 6 months.

Short-term Recovery
Short-term hip replacement recovery involves the early stages of recovery, such as the ability to get out of the hospital bed and be discharged from the hospital. On days 1 or 2, most total hip replacement patients are given a walker to stabilize them. By the third day after the surgery, most patients can go home. Short-term recovery also involves getting off major pain killers and having a full night’s sleep without pills. Once a patient no longer needs walking aids and can walk around the house without pain–in addition to being able to walk two blocks around the house without pain or resting–all of these are considered signs of short-term recovery. The average short-term recovery time for a total hip replacement is 10 to 12 weeks.

Long-term Recovery
Long-term hip replacement recovery involves the complete healing of surgical wounds and internal soft tissues. When a patient can return to work and the activities of daily living, they are on the way to achieving the full term of recovery. Another indicator is when the patient finally feels normal again. The average long-term recovery for total hip replacement patients is approximately 6 months. According to Dr. Ian C. Clarke, medical researcher and founder of Peterson Tribology Laboratory for joint replacement at Loma Linda University, “Our surgeons consider that patients have ‘recovered’ when their current status has improved much beyond their arthritic pre-op pain level and dysfunction.”

There are a number of contributing factors that influence recovery time. Jo Fox, orthopedic nurse of over fifty years and Lead Administrator of the BoneSmart.org hip replacement forum, says that a positive attitude is everything. Patients should be prepared for diligent work, some pain and an expectation that the future is going to be bright. Having access to information about hip replacement surgery and a strong support network is also important to recovery.

Generally speaking, hip replacement patients do recover sooner than knee replacement patients, for example. It should be noted however, that recovery time for a total hip replacement can differ vastly from patient to patient. Some patients may recover in 6 to 8 months; while others may require a longer recovery time.
 
@Lee0521 So sorry for your loss. If you read my RTHR recovery thread you will see that I too lost a feline friend very early out in my recovery. That pain was worse than the recovery pain.

Be good to yourself and grieve for your lost friend. I am sure your beloved kitty would not want you to suffer through this. You will get there and be able to go on that vacation. Just give your body time to recover and gain strength.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom