Depression/post-op blues - open for all

@cameramom i am 7 days post op. I feel a complete surrender to the THR world. I try to slow down everything I am doing and just be in the moment. This Mindfulness helps me to listen and notice differences in my body. I am emotional, but I'm struggling with having to take the required pain meds. I'm real emotional if I let the pain get out of control.My kids are both living out of state and having no family in the area keeps me isolated. But I feel our job is to heal!!

You're right to 'surrender' as you term it. You've had a major surgery and your body needs a chance to rest and repair. Just because you're home now doesn't mean you're all sorted out. It takes time and if you're trying to limit your meds at only 7 days then you're going to feel pain and pain will get you down. You'll not get addicted if that's what is worrying you. The meds are there for a reason, to ease the pain, which will in turn ease mobility. Try to look on this as an interim patch which will lead to a brighter future. By following the BS mantras diligently you'll be doing yourself a favour. Meds on time, icing and elevating and some gentle walking. I did very little in the early days and weeks but things did pick up gradually and positively. Whenever you feel isolated, log on here - there are lots of others to share your experiences with.

Glad to stop here. I didn't know post op depression would be a thing for me. I have a history of depression and S.A.D. and am used to feeling flat but to wake up and get teary was a surprise. I felt like a bum before surgery, Jan. 30,2017, because I couldn't move much and now I feel the same way. I don't like asking for more water or ice while I am laying there watching TV. I try to thank my husband often and let him know I appreciate what he does but i know caregivers have stress too. Yeah, I am glad I have a new hip but I would rather be at work doing something constructive or have enough stamina to do something constructive at home. Sometimes it feels like I will be happy to isolate. When I have the "poor me " I try to start the day over in my head. Easier said than done. Good to have a place to talk. Thanks for listening.

Hello @misread. Would it help if I were to say I think you're completely normal? Practically all of us have had postOp blues and it's understandable because you've been through a lot. There's the stress and pain in the build up, the trauma of surgery itself and now you've got the postOp energy and emotion dump. It really is early days and so soon after surgery you're bound to feel a little stranded. I'm sure your husband will understand that you need support, but if you avoid asking for ice - plenty and often - you'll actually be putting off reducing pains and swelling and increase your mobility. Being able to move around with less effort will encourage you to accept that things are improving which will lift your mood. So you owe it to yourself to ensure you don't put off anything which will encourage your recovery. It is very easy to become discouraged but remember that whereas pre surgery you were on a downhill slope where things were only going to get far far worse, now you are on a gradual route to a full recovery. It takes a little patience and by following the BS mantras faithfully you will get there. Be a little patient because things will improve - the bad bits have gone now. Your body just needs some time time to heal and then it will reward you with the gift of painless mobility once more.

Oh and your energy levels will kick back in eventually but it is entirely normal also to feel lacking in that department for a while yet. Many of us felt able to cope only with mindless telly and sifting through magazines for the first few weeks! It's called brain fog and I think your body is saying it wants a bit of a break. One day I woke up and found I could apply myself to reading a book, which was a great revelation! You'll get back to work in time and soon this all be a bit of a blur because you'll be busily getting on with your life.

@opie @misread Hi there I do sympathise with you both. It's hard to feel so down and when you've had depression before you worry then about it coming back. You can't tell yourself to just snap out of it either - I know having been there myself but this is post op depression you are feeling. I think we all get it to some degree and it's awful crying suddenly for no reason and feeling so blue. This will pass honest. I couldn't believe it when it hit me completely out of the blue and it came and went for a while but it did pass. Your body and mind have been through trauma and they need to rest and heal just give it time. Keep up with the meds if like me they make you sleep that's good too as it will help your body to heal quicker. For the first few weeks I was in a mental fog too, didn't want to do anything some days then gradually got my mind back LOL. Just remember that in only a few weeks you will start to feel so much better and your mobility will increase daily with no pain. Keep smiling, ask for help at home, just go with the flow and come on here for support. We all have your back on the road to recovery.

@Cas. Thanks for all the support. @misread and I both had our THR on January 30. Today we are 13 days post op. I got so much better when I lightened up on myself, listening to my body and all who have shared here on BS.
I now know that this will take much time. I deserve the time and the care I need to recover. I still have the occasional blues, but at the same time I understand it's ok.

I was so glad to find this section in the forums. I am on the wait list for my THR, which is 5 months right now, so I don't have a surgery date yet, but I'm noticing it's not too early to start worrying and obsessing about it! I want to be informed about the procedure, but too much graphic info really makes me anxious, so I've decided to stop and just trust the professionals to do their jobs. Even thinking about preparing my home for the surgery is making me anxious right now.
I did read an article from Prevention magazine in which the author talked to a surgeon who said he does think people can experience PTSD from major medical procedures, even when it is planned for and necessary.

I've managed to get this old (57), and have never had any major invasive medical procedures, certainly no surgeries, so I think a lot of it is fear of the unknown. I did express my anxiety to my surgeon, but there's not much he can say, other than that yes, it is a major surgery.
It helps so much to know others are struggling with the same issues!

I think the depression comes from several things. First and foremost I think the narcotic pain meds made me so dressed and made me cry all the time. Realizing that I now had restriction and I use to live to go to the gym. Not healing as fast as I thought I would

@Pewaukee I, like you lived to go to the gym and workout. This process has felt like I had been going 80 miles an hour and then abruptly hit a brick wall. It has been tough mentally as well as physically. I also feel like I am not healing as fast as I thought. However, it is finally starting to get better and I think I am turning the corner and getting out of the "funk" I have been in.

My doctor has made me stop what little exercise I had been doing until he gets the x-rays and MRI results.

@KiKi60 Hi there. We all worry about the op but honest it's ok. One minute you're in pre op the next you're back in bed and it's all done. I understand all the obsessing about preparing for the op at home but just take your time and make a list of what you need to do to make life easier when you get home. I find lists help as I can tick stuff off as I go LOL! I never looked at vids or anything beforehand and just trusted my surgeon after all he does these ops every day and knows what he's doing so don't worry. If you can have the spinal block and sedative go for that - it's great! Also no after effects from anaesthetic and no pain as the block is still working well after the op itself. Any queries or worries just come on and ask and someone will be here for you - we all look after each other on this site - there are some wonderful people on here. Best of luck carol.

@KiKi60 I too obsessed and had a huge list. It turned out that all I needed was. Shower seat, walker, and cane. I didn't even have to take my shower doors off. I feel better as I have gotten into some projects but really am tired of it all. I go for my 4 week check up in 10 days and pray I get permission to drive. I have hope, unrealistic as it may be, to get the ok to get back to work. Lol. I walked 30 minutes today at a store and had to sleep when I got home. Mentally I'm better than a week ago.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Yes I am 5 weeks post operative and I have lost half of my very thick hair! Still sheding lots per day - very annoying! Google it - it's common and should grow back after 6 -12 months but very disheartening for us women I felt so down and tearful at 3 weeks - i cried a lot , not from pain justv my situation. I feel 90% better now - i am allowed to drive from tomorrow and in intend to use this as motivation not to hang about all day in my PJ's doing nothing! There are only so many rerun episodes of the walking dead I can watch in a day!

@oh2sew I just happened to be skimming through this thread. I noticed you had your TLHR a week or so before me. Where are you in your recovery? Why are you being told to hold off from the gym?

I apologize if you have explained your story somewhere else... I too have also been told to hold off on exercise, PT and continue using a walking aid. My stem is a little too small for my femur and so the bone has not yet grown around it and secured it in place.

I am a great deal of pain, I cannot walk well, weight bare on the operated leg, and I am suffering lower left back pain (which a recent MRI has ruled out any back problems causing it) so I think it is secondary. I am curious to hear what kind of pain you're experiencing. I am so upset with my progress, in many ways I am worse off than I was before surgery! I could at least do the Elliptical with my bad hip, now I can't do anything!

I had horrible back pain and all the other symptoms I just mentioned. I had an inflammation in my bursa at the top of the thigh. It was preventing me from putting weight on my leg, made me walk goofy twisting my back, caused horrible back pain. So we did a cortisone injection, ice, anti inflammatories and pt. I am so much better and no cane and much better back!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

I believe I have said this in here before but it is unnecessary to quote a post just to reply to it. Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page and start typing! Unless there is some specific phrase you want to address, of course!
Then do it like this How to quote a post.

Thanks for understanding! :)

@oh2sew Where are you in your recovery? Why are you being told to hold off from the gym?

@AMR1879 Sorry! I just saw this. Haven't really been keeping up with things on here much. I was having groin pain which was aggravated by exercise so that's why I was told to hold off on things. Turns out, it was just bio-mechanical. Pilates really helped with that (for me)....

How timely this thread is...I'm 5 weeks post op and have just hit a wall today. I'm fed up with not being able to sleep properly, or even lie down properly, walk properly, sit in a comfy chair, move around or do any of the things I could do prior to my op. I've had 400 reps of physio to do daily from hospital discharge, firstly for my operated leg, now standing on my operated leg and moving my good leg (as this is just as strenuous and load bearing on my bad leg too). I'm not driving, walking my dog, doing the garden or any number of things I could do oh so recently. I had no idea recovery would be so slow. All I heard from people was how they were immediately pain free and how most problems come from people overdoing it after surgery because they feel so well. Pah! My care has been excellent with lovely nurses, an approachable surgeon and good friends doing chores with me. When am I going to feel I am making progress? Still walking with one crutch, and only up to 1km. I cooked a Sunday roast last week and had to spend 2 hours asleep afterwards. Sorry to whinge but I'm sure you folks will understand more than anyone how frustrating it is. And those wretched compression stockings! arrgghhhh!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back