I think I need some input. Sorry but this will be really long. My health insurance nurse/coach encouraged me to seek counseling. I already do take antidepressants on an ongoing basis. If you've read my pre-surgery entries, in 1968 I had halothane anesthesia which caused me to lose half of my liver, get halothane hepatitis and spend years regenerating my liver. I avoided GA since. For my LTHR last week my OS strongly pushed me to take GA because the surgery approach he preferred would be a very small incision requiring paralytic agents. I studied anesthetic, analgesic and paralytic agents for weeks and watched many online sessions on pharmacology as well as 20 THR and 30 GA/intubation videos. I learned that it should be safe for me to have GA IF only Propofol was used for both induction and maintenance. I spoke to to my colonoscopy anesthesiologist as well as the OS's hospital anesthesiology department. My colonoscopy A advised me not to go GA but tell OS I wanted spinal. Hospital A's said they would do Propofol A if I could pass extended liver tests which I did. I have had Propofol many times as sedative even for BTKR and no problems.
So last Tuesday in pre-op I met with my A and explained my whole medical history and he agreed to only use Propofol to induce and maintain. He seemed very nice. Got in the ER and was relaxed but had some trouble finding comfortable spot to lie down on table due to large bowl in center. Suddenly a nasal cannula was placed on my nose from behind. The air pressure so high that my senses were overwhelmed and I couldn't hear anything. I started trying to find my A to find out why I had a cannula, did he confuse me with someone else because I was having GA not a sedative but he was nowhere to be seen. I sat stunned and scared. Then someone started untying and removing my gown from the back. My crazy thought was that they didn't take your gown off until you were unconscious so they must think I was and we're going to start surgery. I whirled my head around and made eye contact with a nurse. I thought ok they know I'm still conscious but where is my A? I remember nothing after that for several hours. Not PACU, going to my room or even talking with my husband in my room.
What I remember is nurses giving me crackers and liquids which triggered nausea for which they have me IV treatment. But I then had hiccups and indigestion for a day and a half straight. I never slept that night because I hiccuped all night. At 4:00 am my night nurse asked what A I had received and I told her only Propofol. She checked my records and said that I was also given Versed which could be why I was so sick.
I feel that the A really disrespected my wishes and violated my trust and our agreement by giving me Versed after we had agreed on only Propofol to induce and maintain. I thought from what I had read that Propofol was strong enough itself to provide the anesthesia and amnesia needed. And by adding the Versed he took a chance with my health and my liver because Versed is metabolized in the liver. And he caused me to be sick for a day and a half. And his unprofessional and impersonal behavior in the OR caused me to be terrified prior to my surgery.
Here's where I need your thoughts. My follow up with my surgeon is tomorrow and I'm not sure how strong or emotional I should be. Am I over-reacting? Do I need counseling as the nurse/coach said? Is this my issue rather than the A 's because professionally he felt Versed was needed so therefore I should accept it and move on? I have to get my other hip done next year and, after all these years and surgeries with my OS, I think I'm going to find a new OS and hospital.
Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum