Revision THR Complex surgery with revisions, infection, sepsis, and more…

If you have not changed bank cards, you may want to consider getting a new one. Your bank should have done this already. Staying on top of this will also make you feel better in the long haul- this lady has no idea she has messed with THE Dane Lady.
 
"No harm done"???? So glad you straightened them out. I agree with Hippy Chick.....these folks don't realize they just poked the biggest bear ever! Keep on 'em! Be the squeaky wheel. It almost always works to get results, if for no other reason than they want to not have you appearing on their doorstep all the time.
 
Hi everyone, hope everyone is getting along. My life is a such a battlefield, and to think I heard retirement can be so boring. I'm still waiting for the boring part to show up, lol.

My friends who helped me thru all my surgeries moved to Tucson and had a place right around the corner from them I could live in. Me, and my ever lovin' ability to make the wrong decision said 'no thanks, I wanna live in the desert.'
Well this whole experience has driven home a very important lesson: I am old and handicapped and now that my dog is not here I've become a target to a lot of unsavory people. (BTW, I had a wonderful visit with Valkyrie last week. She's doing great) Christmas week a good Samaritan was murdered not far from here after a stranger knocked on his door asking for a jump to start his vehicle. I've decided I need to leave here, too many evil people.

At least the sheriff's dept got my 9mm away from the thieves and returned it to me. I will take no prisoners if anyone attempts to take advantage of me again (if'n ya know what I mean).

Anyway, my friend Mike asked if I would want to move away from here, if he can convince the owner. I said heck yah! But even if I don't move into that place near my friends Mike and Tammy, I've been looking at a lot of resources for old crippled people like me, lol.

The hip will never recover and the knee on the other side feels like there's a loose nerve the size of a spaghetti in between the bone on bone thing.

I fluctuate between feeling sorry for myself and wanting to run over one of those low-life thieves. A nice young man from APS (Adult Protective Services) came to check up on me and asked if I had anymore contact with the lady who robbed me. I said if there are any bloody body parts stuck to the bottom of my truck then yes, I made direct contact with her.

Jamie, if this is too graphic and strays too far away from hip recovery, well none of this WOULD have happened if I had a real Dr with a real medical license....not one he got our of a Cracker Jack Box and wind up putting me in a wheelchair.

Take care everyone.
 
@Hippie Chick
Oh gal, got my new card but now I'm fighting with the bank who did their 'investigation' and decided there was no wrongdoing. Grrrrr.

I'm fighting this of course but now I have to make another appointment in town and those trips are costly and dreadfully difficult for me. I'm also not very intimidating struggling on a walker, wearing a painful grimace on my face, but I have no choice.
 
@danelady so good to hear from you but sorry to hear you're still having to battle with the bank. Understand about the cost of taking these trips back and forth but keep on the bank's rear end!

You may be using a walker and still having pain but they still need to be paying attention to you when you speak! With everything you've been through and still standing you most definitely a force to be reckoned with. Bring on the Storm! And don't feel bad if you need to play up the disability aspect of all this and how difficult they are being! Be that squeaky wheel! :heehee::angel::tantrum2:
 
@danelady …. You ARE a force to be reckoned with. I second the vote to keep after all these people who aren’t helpful to you. I have to admit I really laughed hard reading the statement about bloody body parts stuck to the underside of your truck. You would be justified in having that type of “accident” after all these scumbags have put you through. I’m praying that the move to a place near your friends in Tucson will work. That does sound like a good solution. I looked at Tucson one time to see what county services might be available to you as a financially challenged disabled person and I believe that are some available. Once you get settled, if you want some help, I’m happy to take a look at that again. You hang in there, my friend. You’ll get through this. Thanks for posting here to let all your BoneSmartie family know how you’re doing.
 
I can't thank you all enough for the support, it's like you're my cheer team! I have another cheer team on Facebook, we've known each other almost 20 years. As one of them said a couple of weeks ago, we are a tribe. We haven't ALL stayed friends over the years, a lot of them are/were dog show people and we just didn't click, so that was the proverbial that. Or we drifted apart because of family or my trucking schedule. But some of us are stuck with each other, lol. I used to pull the disappearing act a lot, I mean trucking was stressful and I needed to recharge so when I disappeared to the hospital with pneumonia this last time, I had no phone and no way to contact ANYONE. Everyone assumed I was on one of my breaks, lol.

Everyone knew how much I loved taking photos and couldn't wait to retire to follow the birds and were shocked that my camera gear was stolen. But one friend from Minnesota sent me her Canon Rebel with 3 different lenses and other goodies. She had upgraded to a full frame and gave me the Rebel.

We all took care of each other. Danes can be very expensive so we all donated to each other's causes. When my sweet Val came down with Pyometra I hated begging for help but I couldn't just let her die a painful death. I asked for some help, but never expected any. The next day I had $1500 and Val is still with us.

But after this hip fiasco started no one understood what I was going thru, I mean how could they? You guys get it, all of it, and for that I am grateful. People knew me as being unstoppable and found it difficult to understand that I've had to make adjustments in my life.

You are all just as important to me as my great dane tribe, so now we can all sing Kumbaya together. Hahaha. Have a great day!
 
Thanks for updating and letting us know you're still hanging in there. Many of us were very concerned as you've realized. Wishing only the best for you always, danelady! :friends:
@danelady
 
@danelady, what a heartwarming story about your friends’ support of dear Val in her time of need. No wonder she’s such a special pup to you! You both have been through so much. Rest assured that your BoneSmartie family will always be here for you no matter what comes your way. Wishing you some good days ahead as you make decisions about what the rest of your life will be like. I know you will adjust and find ways to be happy. You’re just that kind of gal and it’s what I love about you!
 
Yes, we were so concerned & so happy to see you now & then back in our little "tribe." Like you I have very dear friends for over 50 years. Some I speak with almost on a daily basis. But none understand my hip like those "hippies" here, that's why we are such a special group.
Much love.
 
Greetings, fellow hippies.
Gather round while I share another story of how the Establishment, aka 'Professionals', tried hard to shove me into the box they think I belong in.

This is the first and only PCP I've been with since I retired 3 years ago.The physician was very nice but the nurse, umm not so much.

I understand a PCP's duties are to prescribe meds, check for diseases and maybe refer to a specialist but this nurse constantly ragged on me like she was my mother and I was 8yrs old, so I stopped going there. But after a serious bout with pneumonia and winding up in the hospital and care center I decided to pay them a visit and get BP meds and gabapentin for the horrible pain in my back. Well, that patronizing nurse I endured for 2 years was quite perturbed that I haven't been there in a year and was gruff with me, but I ignored her snarky remarks, finished and left.

Not one of them asked about my hip even though they saw how I could no longer walk. So I got home but a few days later that nurse called me and I don't know what she thought this call would accomplish because all it did was poke the proverbial bear, to quote Jamie. Lol.

I could not believe what I was hearing!
She told me I better stop making poor decisions with my life or I'll wind up in the same situation all over again. I said what situation is that? She said I needed to listen to the 'professionals' she tried to put me in contact with or she wasn't going to waste anymore of her time with me.

I asked how did she thought I got into this hopeless situation and she said it was when I just got robbed. She completely put all my surgeries, all my dislocations out of her mind.
She had me so mad I was yelling into the phone! I said it was all those failed surgeries that crippled me so much that I can't work now. How do you not see that????

I don't like hurting someone's feelings or jeopardizing someone's job but I filled out the survey that was emailed to me. The exact words I wrote:
'I do not like to be bullied, belittled or spoken down to. My suggestion to her is to climb down off her high horse or get tested for Alzheimers'

I guess it's time to find a new PCP.
 
danelady,
I am sorry to hear you're feeling this way about the nurse. It has to be disheartening when a person you should be able to trust has your best interests in mind, goes beyond what feels professional. You deserve to be heard understood and respected. Is it possible to discuss this interaction with your physician? Your concerns seem valid and I hope your able to resolve this in a way that makes you feel supported rather than put to shame.
Again, so sorry. :console2:
@danelady
 
@Layla
Hi Layla, I value you opinion but the conversation between the nurse and I went on for quite a while. Actually it stopped being a conversation when she started insinuating I am unable to take care of myself and I need help from the professionals.

It's just like when that other woman who was a broker for Cygna told me I was headed for a disaster. Hey, maybe my life is a disaster to someone living in your universe but I had a head-on collision with disaster years ago, tell me something I don't know.

This nurse insinuated that I had to live her way or I'd wind up a lost soul. I want to live the way I want to live. I made it to 70 dancing the cha cha with disaster and I don't know any other way to be. I know, I know, I said I want my life to be boring but only for a little while.

This nurse was not interested in me finding a Dr who might help me to walk again. She did not want me to be near my friends Mike and Tammie either because they're not 'Professionals'. She did not know me and was not interested in helping me deal with the really important problem: my HIP.
Thank you again, Layla, and please don't feel sorry for me. I got robbed but I'm fighting back. I'm getting stuff back and those no good rotten thieves are hiding because they know I'm mad....and I got my gun back. It can be dangerous back here in these hills, there are black bears and mountain lions, most people carry protection.
 
My heart does go out to you, danleady. You've endured so much. I'm sorry for that, but thankful you still have a fighting spirit and it is your life to live the way you choose. I'd just like to see you catch a break here and there. :prayer: :friends:
 
@danelady happy to hear you're starting to get some of your stuff back. And what a wonderful friend to send you her camera when she upgraded. There are still good people out here and I believe you're one of them. Hope this year brings you much more joy anf hopefully some better answers.

Unfortunately some of these doctors don't realize that their staff can run patients off so quick. Have had it happen numerous times. After our long time PCP (RIP) retired we found a new doc. Both of us really liked him, we got along great with him and he was a Vet so he understood some of the reasons we were broken. He used to be very reachable, you could send him a message on the portal and he'd get back to you in usually 24 hours. Then a nurse started working with him and just made life unbearable. You couldn't get him directly unless you had an appointment. We both finally said enough is enough and found a new PCP. I did leave a message on the portal telling him why we were changing docs but I doubt he ever saw it.

You take care and keep in touch. :friends::egypdance:
 
Wow, @danelady….that’s some sad story about that nurse. Who calls people at home like that???? I bet her boss wouldn’t be too thrilled to hear exactly what she did and said to you. Way, way out of line for any medical “professional” behavior. I’m glad you can speak back to someone like that and not let it bother you too much. You are right that you get to live your life the way YOU want to. Good doctors and nurses will offer options as they help a patient navigate whatever medical challenges they have. But a real professional doesn’t have such a huge ego that they think a patient might not always want to follow their plan to the letter. The better thing for a doctor or nurse to do in that case would be to really talk with the patient and find out why they want to pursue a certain path. Surely you can find a different and better doctor … hopefully once you move into town. I do think that seems like a good plan. In the meantime, keep that gun loaded since you are so far off the beaten path. You never know about people these days and these thugs just might turn up again if they think you are vulnerable. Boy, would they ever be surprised!!
 
Dane,
Good for you, this is the fighting spirit we've all missed!
I changed OS after first year of recovery due to NP. She said such idiotic stuff to me when I was asking legitimate concerning questions about my hip, leg length, etc.
We might be older but doesn't mean we don't have a lot of life left in us & more to do.
 
Hi all. I wanted to reply to all of my messages, even started writing a message myself but the cold really did me in and now I rarely get out from under the covers until 11am when I open a curtain and sit in the sunlight so I can bake in it a little while, lol.

My hip and back are not enjoying this cold at all (and I'm in southern Arizona) so I get up for a few hours thru the night, changing position helps relieve the pain a little.

I know I know, how cold can it be, right? Well it was 25° F the other morning and it's always about 10° colder in my shabby shack.
I need a dog to snuggle with, lol. I texted Val's caretaker to see if they needed anymore blankets but it's warmer where they are. It would probably help if I could move about faster, oh well maybe in a month or 2.

Thinking of you all as I get ready to slip under my down comforter....ah....
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom