Revision THR Complex surgery with revisions, infection, sepsis, and more…

OMG! I went out to the front of the house to meet my Walmart delivery (getting addicted to this, lol) and noticed I had dropped a folded piece of paper. It is part of my referral letter and they DID name the surgeon In going g to visit....the same one I'd neen talking about since last year!

Dr Shaun Peterson is his name. If course just cause my visit is with him it doesn't mean he'll accept me. Well, I gotta drink some coffee, big doings today!
XOXO
 
I love it when life turns on a dime! Thrilled at more good news for you. Enjoy your celebration coffee :yay:
 
Turns out this dr is with the same practice as the very first ortho that Medicare referred me to 4 yrs ago, the one who looked at my xrays and said 'I ain't touching that'.

Hmm, think I hit a dead end already. Oh well...
 
Don't get discouraged too soon, I know you have had many bad experiences but keep the faith, we are all pulling for you.
Can you contact Medicare? Maybe they will find another doctor.
 
I wouldn't worry yet. We have the full range at our surgery, from brilliant to wouldn't touch with a barge pole!

Remember that you are Lead Consultant on your medical team! Be polite but assertively authoritative and outline your expectations and ask for a prognosis on potential outcomes and a plan to achieve them. Four years is a long time and you have a fuller medical history now. You're a different person and they'll respond to that and the circumstances. You may well be very surprised with the outcome.

I just looked your guy up... Tucson? Or did I find the wrong one? He looks good!
 
Can you contact Medicare? Maybe they will find another doctor.
@myglasshalffull ..... our Medicare doesn't work like the NHS. They offer no help at all for people searching for doctors. Depending on a person's insurance, the insurance company may have a list of preferred physicians by specialty. Or sometimes a GP can assist in a referral. But our healthcare system requires a lot more responsibility from the patient to seek out competent doctors that fit the need. This is why we try to help people find surgeons near them whenever we can.
 
I'm going to be turned down....again. I just know it. Dr Bower, the first dr Medicare sent me to, is the one who looked at my xray and said 'I'm not touching that'. This new one is with the same clinic and I'm 100x worse now.

Pima Co is big but not that big, mostly made up of saguaros, rattlers and javelinas.
Orthopedic surgeons that have their own opinions about things, not so much. I'm probably on the blackballed list now, lol.
Monday I ask for Tramadol. My friend's 94 year old mother has been on them for years. I might be 23y younger than her but I feel 23y older. :bored:
 
I don't know how many times I've had to contact Medicare to tell them the dr they referred me to has turned me down before.

You are so correct Jamie. They do not give an input on the dr, only if he is in my network of drs I can use. At first they didn't even understand that I lived in a very rural area, so then they told me to find a dr close to me who accepted my insurance.

Believe me I never would have moved out there if I knew my body was going to instantly fall apart as soon as I retired or that the drs I trusted to fix me up would not do so and would not tell me who could! Bad timing all around but eh, that's the story of my life.
 
@Deni444
Oh Deni, I wish I would have know I needed to ask those questions, but I've never had a Dr who made it so obvious he didn't know what he was doing and lied in his reports. After several failed surgeries I still believed he'd fix me, but it never happened.

It then seemed like it all became a matter of saving face after 9 dislocations. He said he can make the dislocations stop, all he has to do is CUT OUT MY HIP! Sure he said that when they put in those new parts...the acetabular component and the femoral component. He always said the femoral component was in perfect shape and he'd leave it alone. Then he changed his mind, took it out and BROKE my femur! Oh, they said it was fractured but I screamed my head off when they tried to make me walk on it. One last dislocation, #10, and a different surgeon put in a cement spacer and wished me well.

I blame the idiot surgeon for me winding up handicapped and becoming a target for bad people, for getting robbed of the few things I had. But most of all for not having my spotted baby with me any more.
Dear God, I'm sobbing again. Gotta go.
 
It's good to have a good cry sometimes and just let it all out. To clarify I meant your new doctor sounds good not the hack who botched your care. You can share your previous experience with the new guy just as you did with me. It will be a good way to interview him before appointing him to treat you. It's kind of what I said about you being the primary lead on your medical team. Think of it as you being the expert, the boss. You're interviewing for a second in command. It's not just about surgical expertise but how your surgeon will treat you emotionally too. How much they will respect you as a person. How invested they will be in your general as well as physical wellbeing.

You've got this! If this guy fails his interview (the one you got a referral with) after YOU interview him. Then it will hopefully be the next person you find.

Talk and talk and cry all you need, you will move on and the sobbing will turn to strength.

Take care x
 
I used to enjoy perusing posts from other BoneSmarties and joining in but sending my apologies for not doing it anymore.
I just find it hard to read about all the people finding that one good dr who finally helped them. I'm just tired of having to miss all the things I wanted to do in my retirement.

For instance, Blood Sweat and Tears will be here in Tucson at the Fox Theater tomorrow night. I've loved BSTs since I was in 7th grade in NJ. They introduced me to jazz/rock and had an outstanding horn section
Then David Clayton Thomas became lead singer and his voice was like nothing I'd ever heard before.

The Fox Theater in Tucson has been putting on shows since the '30s. I was eager to catch so many artist in this classy venue. The tickets are not out of this world either, $75 tops. Now I love Bruno Mars, he's cute too but his song with Lady Gaga grabs my heart. His tickets go from $300 to $1,000. Did I say he's a cutie, lol.

So anyway, I got gypped out of so much when I was young....mostly a family. Back then Catholic Italians did not divorce.
Now I'm gypped out of catching up on what I got gypped out of.

For sure I'm used to it by now. Lol
 
I purchased my dream home to pursue a dream lifestyle just to be struck down with severe chronic arthritis, literally over night within six months... That was 5 years ago and I was housebound before surgery in March... I hear you. I think there are many back stories on here that tell a story of either physical or emotional agony.

I can't tell you how you should deal with the agony you are experiencing but sometimes I find it helps to focus on the needs of someone else. If nothing else it's a distraction from my own pain or anxiety, if only for a little time.

In the meantime, just keep pouring your heart out. We understand and we care. Don't give up hope of finding joy and relief from the pain you are in. Maybe it's time to concentrate on what you can do, albeit limited and look away from what you can't do. It's very hard, I'm not saying it's at all easy but that's how I got through the last 5 years. At only 4 weeks post op, I have no idea if I'm fixed. There's still a big inflammatory question mark hanging over me. I'm not focusing on that though, it would be too depressing. I'm focusing on what I can do today. It helps!
 
@Deni444
Once again, your words are a soothing salve.
I am in horrible pain and NEED to run to WM to buy regular ol' ibuprofen. 2 days ago I asked for a prescription for 800mg ibuprofen, and just for the heck of it I asked for Tramadol. Without ibuprofen I simply cannot function and spend the day/writhing in pain. They chose to ignore me.

I finally read their assessment of our visit.
I was NEVER asked the questions they said they asked....am I incontinent, do I need help.
They not only made up a session we had, they wrote down the imaginary answers I never gave as well!!!

Well, time to flush pcp #2 down the toilet.
I'll be back and I'm sure I'll feel much better.
Not having it delivered, must spend $35. If I don't WM will just help themselves to my money for nothing. It's gonna be very difficult, but at least the can bring it our to me.

I mean, everybody just takes, takes, takes, no one actually LISTENS to me. Maybe I need to whine a little more?
 
For instance, Blood Sweat and Tears will be here in Tucson at the Fox Theater tomorrow night. I've loved BSTs since I was in 7th grade in NJ. They introduced me to jazz/rock and had an outstanding horn section
Then David Clayton Thomas became lead singer and his voice was like nothing I'd ever heard before.

The Fox Theater in Tucson has been putting on shows since the '30s. I was eager to catch so many artist in this classy venue. The tickets are not out of this world either, $75 tops.
Do you have any friends or acquaintances that can get you there, accompany you? There are always handicapped entrances and accommodations I'm sure. Why miss out on a few hours of pure enjoyment if there is there's a way? It seems like so many of the 70's bands are touring these days. I saw a few myself over the last couple of years and throughly enjoyed! Namely Van Morrison, The Eagles / Doobie Bros and ELO. Brings back memories, doesn't it? I wish there was a way for you...work the phone! :wink: :fingersx:
 
I feel like hopping on a plain from the UK, dropping in and popping them all on the nose!!! I'm not a popper on the nose kind of person! I'd make a mess of it... I'm not in a position to hop anywhere but hopefully you get my sentiment!

You're just going to have to fight on. Don't let them win. It's not fair but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Sending you a bit of good old fashioned British bulldog across the pond... Have at them, make a complaint.

Keep us posted!
 
Just a quick stop to share my morning with you, you have a good laugh.

I made a boo-boo and order the ibuprofen from another store! And they absolutely do not just switch stores for ya. Takes about a month. I upped my car insurance so that's a good thing. Well, I'm off.
 
Hello all,
I am convinced that the notes on various My Charts are simple copy and paste from another patient and then not proof read.
On one of mine, the doctor said we discussed alternate healing and horse chestnuts. WHAT!? Had never heard of them. I did write that physician and said we never discussed that. Chart was corrected.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom