Revision THR Complex surgery with revisions, infection, sepsis, and more…

@Jamie
Jamie, you are an absolute God send!!
Yes it feels like something is catching on something else....

When I told Mike I wasn't going to move down to Tucson he said....But you'll be closer to healthcare down there!!! Yeah, he's right about that.
Does it matter that I still have that cement spacer in there...never to come out again?
 
It shouldn’t matter about the cement spacer. I didn’t realize it was never going to get replaced. Did your surgeon indicate why? I don’t know that we’ve had a member before who had the spacer permanently. I did a little research to see if there were any medical reports about this, but there wasn’t much out there. What I saw did indicate that keeping the spacer might mean you would have some level of discomfort since it’s not an actual hip prosthesis. So, the next time you see your surgeon, it would be good to get some more information about what he wants it to remain permanent and what that might mean for you. Of course, you should explain this to any therapist that you might want to consult with. I wish I had more definitive information for you….sorry. You may just be a “test case” to see if something like this could work. Things were so bad for you before, I’m counting it as a blessing that it’s better now, even if not perfect. You do such a great job with being pragmatic about whatever happens….that’s what convinces me that you’ll be okay no matter what. You’re a tough gal and you have The Power of Hot Pink!!!
 
All the information I saw about leaving a spacer in permanently had to do with a persistent infection and a risk if additional surgery was done. So, I’m guessing that this may be when your surgeon is hesitant to rock the boat by doing any further surgery unless absolutely necessary. At any rate, your body has been through so much in such a short period of time, it most likely will appreciate that the doctors keep their scalpels in the cabinet for now.
 
Regarding folks "back in the day" not speaking of mental illness brings me back to my Dad who suffered from PTSD after being in WWII. It wasn't even recognized in late 50's or even 60's & every once in awhile he would have "an episode" as my mother would call it & he'd be in VA hospital for a week or so & that was just day after day of zombie medication.
I was only 10 or so but I remember vividly my mother telling me not to say it was his "nerves" but he had an ulcer.
Thank goodness we've come so much further in mental health care today.
Sorry, little off topic but I was just catching up with danelady's posts.
 
Hi danelady,
It is inspirational to read how optimistic you remain after all you’ve been through. I’d like to share a quote I’ve posted a few times over the years because the last number of posts I’ve read here on your thread brought it to mind.

“Life is amazing and then it's awful. And then it's amazing again. And in between the amazing and the awful it's ordinary and mundane and routine. Breathe in the amazing, hold on through the awful, and relax and exhale during the ordinary. That's just living heartbreaking, soul healing, amazing, awful, ordinary life.
And it's breathtakingly beautiful! L.R. Knost

Love, hugs and best wishes, danelady!
@danelady
 
@danelady so good to see you pop up on the forum, we do miss you terribly when you're gone. I do understand though that sometimes life just gets in the way or you just sometimes aren't feeling it.

Sorry that your neighbors have decided to be whatever way they are. I figure it's their loss to not have someone like you with that sharp wit as their friend. You and Val got this. :friends:

Hoping you have a good doctor visit and that you'll stop in and keep us up to date.
 
I just can't win for losing.

I fell. I landed on my good hip...well, it was my good hip. I was a little sore at first but it was my whole body that felt sore but after a month it's blossomed into an intense pain that leaves me crying in pain and frustration.

It started as a ticklish spot in my lower back, then it moved to my side, then to the front of my thigh where it started a huge bonfire right under my skin. Glad I saved the ice packs that came with the antibiotics they were sending me, they help a little. A hot/cold shower helps a little too. Whenever I move I hear a lot of crunching in my back that I never heard before.

I see the Dr in 5 days but he will probably not be interested in hearing about this newest injury. The other hip, which is now the 'good' hip doesn't bother me at all right now. Go figger...
 
Ugh...you can't seem to get ahead, dear danelady. I am so sorry!
Rest, ice and let us know what the doctor has to say next week.
Hugs and best wishes for your comfort. :console2:
@danelady
 
Hang in there! I hate that you had a fall. I saw that you had posted and was looking for an exciting life update. Hope your doctor will be sympathetic and understanding! Please know you are in my thoughts! Update us after your appointment!
 
Thought I landed on my side, don't know how I got all the pretty colors in the front.
[Bonesmart.org] Complex surgery with revisions, infection, sepsis, and more…
 
Okay, my friend. We’re going to need to break out the BoneSmart Bubblewrap Suit for you if you keep this up!!

So sorry this happened. I hope you find out that this injury is nothing serious and you just need some time to recover from it. Dare I ask what you were up to when you fell?
 
Hello dear Jamie.
Sure, you can ask but it's not a very exciting answer....I was simply walking on a smooth cement sidewalk and tripped.

I was sporting my pink Converse hi-tops. I've had them for years but were still like new because I hardly ever wore them. I need better shoes with more support but I haven't been able to do much shopping and my good New Balance were trashed so I dug out Chuck Taylor and put him on my feet. While walking I simply swiped one big foot against my other one and down I went. That was the last time I walked on just a cane, I feel steadier on my rollator.

So I am just waiting to see if the Dr will give me a hint on what might have happened. I haven't attempted getting into the truck since I fell. Someone brought me water and there's a pizza place in town that delivers so I can stay off my legs pretty much till Wednesday. A hot cup of coffee or tea also seems to help the pain.

Wild monsoons this year!
 
Anything is exciting when you’re wearing hot pink shoes, but a fall is definitely not something we need to have happen ever. As we age, we do tend to bruise more easily, so that’s not necessarily anything to worry about. From the photo, they are on the mend. And I’m proud of you for finding ways to stay off your feet for now until you get the final word from a doctor. Depending on how you fell, my concern would be a compression fracture in your spine. That’s actually quite common as we age, even without a fall. Be sure your doc checks for that. Hang in there, my friend. I’ll wear my hot pink tennis shoes today in support for you!
 
@Jamie
You're the best Jamie. Last night was the worst so far, the pain was thru the roof. It seems to help when I'm in a sitting position but the pain never stops. I've been watching videos about trigger points to relieve pain but it's agonizing just moving to put pressure on specific places. Well, Wednesday I'll see what happens. Thanks to you and everyone. Later I ll write to you privately to let you know how the rug almost got pulled out from under me by people I never expected that from.
Thanks again.
 
@danelady we've missed you being around but sure do wish you had better news. So sorry to hear about your fall. I know before my THR I seemed to have an issue with walking. I've always been so dainty, ladylike and graceful! :rotfl: Don't have a clue what caused it but it was always on flat surfaces too. My poor husband would be like one minute she's next to me, next she's on the ground! :heehee:

Hopefully you'll get some good news at the doctor this week and this is just a minor, temporary setback. :fingersx::angel:
 
@Elf1
Thanks, I sure do appreciate the support. If dr can't help me I'm going to have to find a way to deal with the pain myself but I'd rather stop whatever is causing the problem. You remind me of myself as well. One of my friends at the thrift store has Ehlers-Danlos, it runs in her family and she told me when I started hanging out with them that I have all signs...my joints would go all goofy and I'd fall too. I used to be able to dislocate my shoulders at will. I'll keep ya posted.
 
Hi @danelady,

In the midst of my insomnia and recent injection into my hip, my brain reminded me to hop on the forum and see how you’re doing.

As others have mentioned, please remind yourself of how incredibly strong you are, setback or no setback. I can’t even begin to tell you how much your perseverance inspires me. Speaking only for myself, it can be exhausting constantly needing to move forward. I just want to let loose, have fun, and not have to worry about this darn hip anymore. Often people don’t understand that that isn’t just a “choice” for us chronic pain folk.

Please nurture yourself after that fall—you sustained quite a bruise! And best of luck at your upcoming doctor’s appointment. Please continue to keep us lurkers updated with your recovery.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom