Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

Hi joanna, how great to hear from you... Your second hip surgery snuck under the radar, but so pleased you are doing so well.. We were surgical buddies in Nov 11..

I am trying to hang onto my native hip for as long as possible.. Wo knows, when they decide it is time they have their own agenda I guess :)

Do keep us updated nd great to hear from you :)

Hey there Hoops68... Great to hear from my Aussie friend, great update, so pleased for you.. Isn't it great to not even think about the prosthetic .. I am in the same situation...

Don't be a stranger now Aussie :)

Great to see the 'class of 2012 hippies' embracing this thread.. I love to pop by and catch up with you all :)

I've been really quite blasé this time around. The last time physios etc. frightened me quite badly with don't do this for 6 months and never do this which made me think I'd always have to be thinking about it and would be severely restricted. I think one of the first people who answered my post was a professional dancer so I thought if she plans to get back to that surely I'll be able to climb a few fences (I like country pursuits with my canine best friends).

I've also been very lazy this time around (I watched 6 series of Dawson's Creek in 3 wks - is that the most embarrassing thing anyone can admit to?). Can I say I haven't been doing my exercises without getting a severe scolding? Just slowly getting back to the day to day, shopping trips, longer dog walks, some dog training here and there.

The other hip got very bad quite suddenly and by the time the surgery date came around I was in a far worse state than before the first op. So I didn't really have any time to enjoy it but hopefully I'm all sorted now.

I still have no explanation as to why I developed osteoarthritis (rapidly progressive) at such a young age. No problems as a child, no previous injuries. Only started having issues 18 months before 1st op. Anyone else have a similar story? I can't help but worry about the rest of me.

And the first thing that happened when I got home this time was a 5 stone dog jumped on top of me from half way across the room and landed front paws on my thigh. I thought well that didn't break me I'll be fine.

i'm a newbie - 4.5 weeks. my info is in my signature! this world is fully new to me as i broke my hip while snowboarding bad enough, they gave me this titanium beauty.... love reading about everyone's journey's its very helpful and encouraging. no one else really gets it, they try but it's hard to imagine. thanks for the support!!

One year ago today I posted that "this time tomorrow it will all be over." I got many responses in the next hour from all over the world providing love and encouragement.

I have had my RTHR since 3/26/12. I had the world's best hip replacement. I wrote a Christmas message thanking all of my Bonesmart friends for your support. I write now on my one year anniversary to reinforce that message. This time last year I was almost out of my mind with worry. I had to endure my RTHR alone as I have no family. God took good care of me. My entire life -- not just my hip -- is now better than ever. The RTHR was the catalyst to lift my entire way of thinking. The last 12 months have been the best year of my life. I really believe that every aspect of my life will just get better and better as I no longer think the way I used to, pre RTHR.

Thank you again Bonesmart friends. I cannot communicate the depth of my gratitude that you guys were there for me. I remain one happy camper. God Bless you all!

And to those on the other side, remember the mantra: "You will go to sleep. You will wake up. It will all be over." It is really true!

my OS told me that he has had people come to him wanting THR surgeries to improve their game of golf....are these people crazy? ITs a successful surgery, but a tough one. What kind of people would want to go through a major surgery just to improve their game, whatever the sport?
have a great day everyone
hugs
hippydippy :shrug:

Hi all!!! I had my THR on my left hip on Dec. 18th :) I have been very blessed with an amazing recovery! I do have some pain here and there, but all in all I am doing outstanding!! Was even back to work 15 days post op! I have been walking unaided since around day 10. :yay: I am 100% thrilled that I had it done and am looking forward to a very active summer with my kiddos!! :yahoo:
15 days postop and return to work? Man, you beat me and I thought I was doing good at 5 weeks. A M A Z I N G!!

Hi everyone! Thought I drop by and glad I did. I had my THR of the right hip on 12/6/12. Things are going great. Little pain in the groin area every now and then but I think that is still just post op recovery. It's usually when I've done too much. My problem is my left knee now so I guess I'll have to jump over to the knee group soon. I can never thank you all enough for all of the help and support you provided me during my pre and post op stages. I am so glad to have found you all!!! -Deb-

Hello dear Bonesmarties

It is the one year anniversary of my LTHR today and I had been looking forward to celebrating it here at Bomesmart. Both hips are absolutely fine. However, it is with a heavy heart that I have to report that my cancer has returned, and is now in lymph nodes between my spine and my right kidney. I always knew it would get me in the end - I just hadn't expected it to return quite so soon (2 years). I am exploring complementary support to get me through 6 months of palliative chemotherapy. On the plus side, I am a natural optimist and extremely healthy, being as yet without symptoms. And the best thing is that my oncologist has positively encouraged me to go on my trekking adventure to Nepal after Easter. So what's my message? Life after THR is great from a hip perspective, but you never know what's around the corner. Enjoy your shiny new hips as much as you can, all of you hippies out there.

I won't be visiting here again, as I need to devote myself to the new challenge, but it's been great knowing you all.

With love and hope, Jane

Hi there Jane... Sending healing vibes from down under.. Take care good friend:)

hi all
how long has everyone used "the reacher" and "sock tube"?
i am 3 1/2 months po THR and still cant put my leg across my knee to put socks on or to cut my toenails
comments?
thanks and hugs
hippydippy :beg:y

I had my LTHR at the end of May last year. I split the femur in the beginning of July and had to have a bone graft with 6 wires holding it together. The wires are still bothering the heck out of me and I'm still taking my oxy's. I have pain below the butt cheek when walking and femur pain when sitting. The doctor refuses to do anything until one full year has passed because I had osteomyelitis years ago. He's afraid to stir things up. Two weeks ago I got up after going to bed because I forgot to lock my bedroom door (another story) and I guess my grandson moved my foot rester. I went over it an landed flat on the palm of my right hand. I instinctively protected "the hip" but I fractured the heck out of my radius. I now have a titanium plate with 9 screws holding it together. After this last surgery, I decided to hell with any more surgery. I'm going to opt for the drugs and just live with the pain. This last surgery totally put me "over the edge".
I am glad that the majority of the 2012 group are doing well and have returned to their lives.

great news for a change, thank you Lord
15 weeks post op THR and OS has lifted all hip precautions and no more PT
but I have to deal with possible spine surgery be in the summer
hugs to everyone
hippydippy :yahoo:

First, what a great thread this is. I feel like we really are having a class reunion!

welshjane--I am so sorry to hear about your cancer returning. Gosh, I was hoping you were hiking across the hills with your dog having a great time. My heart goes out to you as you continue your battle. I hope your trekking trip goes well and you can enjoy that.

Lynne--I'm sorry to hear you are still having problems with your hip, leg, and now a fractured arm. I remember your situation, and you have definitely been through a lot. I hope you can get some relief, whether you choose to stick with the meds or change your mind and proceed with some more surgery when the time is right.

As for me, my left hip was replaced in January 2012 and that went great. I read in someone's post here that it's great to be able to get up without asking yourself just how bad you want whatever it is on the other side of the room--I remember that feeling so well before my first (worst) hip. Wouldn't want to go back to that at all!! The left hip is wonderful. I call it my superstar-perfect hip.

My right hip was replaced in June. Some of you may remember that I encountered a much more strenuous hospital post op PT program and before I "woke up" enough to realize I was doing damage, they had pushed me over the edge to actual muscle and tendon injuries. I've been continuing treatment with my hip surgeon and he's done a variety of tests and injections trying to pinpoint the exact muscles/tendons affected. I'm definitely better than I was, say, a few months ago, but still not where I want to be. It still hurts in the groin and inside upper thigh when I raise the leg, such as when putting my leg inside a pant leg, getting in a car, things like that. I also can't walk very far without the pain increasing--about 1/5 of a mile is about it. Not because of the hip (hip is fine--I've had 4 orthos check it out trying to get to the bottom of this).

The general consensus from the MD's I've met with about the problematic muscles/tendons is to leave it alone and live with it, or have surgery--I've chosen surgery. May 17th I will have a exploratory hip/groin arthroscopy by my hip surgeon. He will see what things are looking like in and around the hip and clean up/release any tight or scar tissue that may be causing the pain. He will also do a surgical adductor longus tendon release and put platelet rich plasma on as many areas as he can get to. We know the adductor longus tendon is a problem, but not sure about the rest of it--might be the rectus femoris or the adductor brevis--can't pinpoint it for sure without looking around. I've thought long and hard about this surgery and it's something I feel I need to do to get my life back. I'm still having trouble coming to terms that these injuries even happened in the first place ... but hopefully if I feel better and can strengthen the muscles again after the surgery, therefore getting my life back on track, I'll feel better about the whole mess. I wanted to be sure I was doing the right thing, so I met with 3 other orthos (2 were sports med orthos and 1 was another joint replacement ortho) to get their opinions. No one thinks I'll be worse off than I am now, so I think it's worth going for. Wish me luck.

Regardless of the glitches I've had, the hips themselves feel really great. My surgeon was having a hard time wrapping his head around my pain being due to plain old overworked injured tendons and muscles and he did a number of tests and also had me meet with the best sports med MD in their practice to see if he thought it was tendonous or muscular and also make sure he wasn't missing anything. But, I kept telling him that I thought the hip was fine. A person can just tell the difference between pain coming from the joint and pain coming from some where else, even if it is nearby. My surgeon has been wonderful about not giving up on this and has been very accessible to me with my many questions and complaints along the way. He's also one of the best hip surgeons in this part of the country with performing hip arthroscopies, so I know I'm in good hands for the next, and hopefully last surgery.

I still have all the critters I had last time I checked in here. The crazy dogs still drive me nuts (in a wonderful way), my cats are still pretty and sweet, and the horses are doing well. I think everyone is looking forward to Spring :)

Dorothy

Great to hear that you are all enjoying the catch up on this thread.. :)

rider1960... Will catch up with you soon Dorothy. :)

Hi everyone! I'm one of the later 2012 hippies, now 4 months out - saying months instead of weeks, that's a milestone itself! Recovery is slow but that was partly due to my iron levels plummeting post-op, was given 4 units of blood and went home with a big box of iron tablets (not good on digestive system with painkillers). Been off them for a month and now waiting for blood test results to make sure levels have stayed up. Difficult to know if the tiredness was/is due to hip op (typed hiphop first!) or anaemia or both!
However, yesterday the sun shone even though it was only 4deg C (38F) so I was able to do a bit of tidying and pruning in the garden. I am not feeling bad today so I must be getting better!
Need to go shopping now - about 100yds along the road from home, I am so glad we downsized/moved into the centre of our village 9 years ago, before hip problems, I would have been so isolated in our old house!
Anne

So pleased you are doing so well Nannyannie.. Let us know how your blood test go.. :)

What a lovely reunion.
9 months now and back at work. Not sure where all the time has gone. Still have got tendinitis in both heels so limp on bad days. And also have a slight limp from new hip. But all in all going well. I do find it funny that i can touch above my scar and a tingling happens lower down, as if the top half of scar is numb but travels down the nerve.
My leg still fells slightly swollen and stiff but as to walking and getting about, all is very well.
I've starting to get some clicking sounds sometimes when I climb the stairs but I'm not worried about it yet.
Thanks again for everyone for all their support.
Sue

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online