Guest viewing is limited

Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

Hi all!!! I had my THR on my left hip on Dec. 18th :) I have been very blessed with an amazing recovery! I do have some pain here and there, but all in all I am doing outstanding!! Was even back to work 15 days post op! I have been walking unaided since around day 10. :yay: I am 100% thrilled that I had it done and am looking forward to a very active summer with my kiddos!! :yahoo:
 
Steve_Marlow

What a fantastic update Steve, I am so thrilled that your recovery is so successful and life in general is on the up..

Good luck with the London Ride 100! Please let us know how you go...

I wish you all the best and yes! You can do it, my friend!
 
Fantastic, that so many 2012 hippies are finding this thread a useful place to visit with all your other surgery buddies for the 2012 year.

It is great to hear how you are progressing.. Hang in there everyone who maybe still struggling.. I am sure you have read my mantra several times..

'Slow and steady wins the race and it is a marathon for some of us, not a sprint but you will get there'

Good luck to all who have posted here :)
 
Hello, I'm exploring the other side of this forum and posting on behalf of my husband who had his hip revision in 2012. It was in mid March after 10 weeks with a spacer and IV treatments when they found infection in his first hip replacement done in Jan. 2010.

He's sound asleep in the lazyboy after going out with the Boy Scouts for their annual winter camping weekend. They boys pile up a huge mound of snow and hollow it out to make a kwanzie and then sleep in it. This year they had a warm weekend. There's been years it was extremely cold. He pitched his tent, rather than build his own hut. This is the first time in a long while he's made any comments about his hip bothering him at all. It kept him awake, so now he's asleep.
 
Welcome to the other side of the forum hhilltop.. What a caring wife you are to share your husbands journey with us.. Does he have his own thread in the Hip Recovery Section?
 
That would be nice Martha :)
 
Hi just checking in. I'm 4 months out and working on strength and conditioning for hiking this spring and summer. Have been on a few short hikes already. I am *so* glad I didn't wait to have this done and miss another hiking season! Thanks to everyone for your support and wise words!
 
I was one of the early ones. January 10th 2012.
I haven't had any problems since about June or so, Now at over a year, I am totally back to normal have absolutely no issues with the new hip. The new one has slightly better ROM than the old one ever did or even the other one.
I will try to get my wife Weezy to check in and update, she is totally past her bilateral and back to normal.
Thanks for the support.
 
It will be 3 months next week, 21 March that I got my new hip. It seems like so long ago, yet 3 months isn't that long. Got a shock I didn't want when I stepped on the scale at the hotel gym to find (if the scale is accurate) that I've gained 15+ lbs. since the surgery. I keep thinking that couldn't be right as I wouldn't be able to fit into my uniform if I did. Needless to say a bit disconcerting and discouraged, yet it also gives me a kick in the butt to get back into shape and have the rest of my body as healthy as my hip. Besides, I'm a single girl...need to be looking good.
 
Hi CatPrincess - I gained 14 lbs by 2 months after surgery. Happy to say that at 4 months have lost 6 of them. As I am able to increase activity, it is getting better. Good luck!
 
Hi to all the 2012 Hippies that have posted in this thread..

It can be used as a central thread if you have moved on with life and just want to post occasionally and tell us how you are progressing :)
 
Jan 4 2012 for the left hip and I believe 21 March 2012 for the right one. I am having issues with slop in the left hip. Pain is at the 2 to 4 pain level. most days. the higher number when I get walking to fast. OS said the fix is putting in a new ball. Not now!
 
RTHR February 6th. Back operating heavy equipment and driving trucks at 8 weeks, climbing around my 4/12 pitch roof cleaning the leaves and needles off at 4 months, jumped out of a plane again February 10th this year to celebrate! Though I won't be doing that again.... got yelled at by my wife for only the third time in 26 years. Getting my other hip done next winter. Doc wants to do it now but does not bother me too much. All is well though, love this forum!
 
I cant wait until I can say that I am one year post- op.
THIS HAS BEEN THE LONGEST THREE MONTHS in my life since my THR
monarchs :flwrysmile:
if i have to have more orthopaedic surgeries in the future i will try Not to have it during the winter months
 
hippydippy, even though it seems though you've had a long winter, just think how good you'll feel this summer! If you're like the rest of us, it's been a long run since we've been able to truly enjoy summer without any physical limitations...
 
That's true dede62! I was just this afternoon thinking about the summer after my THR. It was sort of a magic time. Like those summers when you were a kid and the whole world was an adventure for you to discover.
 
thanks so much for the encouraging news
its hard when you look outside and see ice and snow and wish you go out now that weeks have passed
since my THR
looking forward to dry sidewalks and roads
God bless
hippyippy
 
Hi I haven`t been here in ages - just had a quick look and noticed this thread. I had my right hip done in Nov 2011. All was ok last year until April/May. Mid May left hip started to go downhill fast which led to replacement Feb 19th this year. So just over 4 wks now. Doing pretty good. General pain/discomfort already far better than pre-surgery. Went to Crufts at just under 3wks post surgery! So that`s 2 new hips at the grand age of 33! Hopefully I can keep my own knees!
 
Hi all,

Sorry I have missed this thread as well.

It has been over 15 months since my operation and I can't believe how good it has been. These days I honestly never even think about my hip, that is how good it is. I have zero pain and I mean zilch, nada, nothing. It is amazing. Prior to the op it was a struggle to get out of bed, but since about the 4th week in recovery it has been pain free. I took it easy for the first few months mainly concentrating on walking and undertaking physio exercises that were provided to me the first couple of days after the op. I also did some light weights (very light leg extensions and curls) in the first few months until I gradually built muscle again around my hip area. It took awhile to regain strength but after about 5 months I started doing more body weight exercises (lunges; squats etc) and kettle bell squats which has really helped my progress.

I am back undertaking lots of exercise - everything from weighted squats; using kettle bells; dead lifts; using the rowing machine and also back in the boat paddling - in fact I just did a time trial for my dragon boat club and came 2nd out of about 20 guys. Plus I do lots of walking.

I also have the energy and capacity to chase my son around and we have a ball. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. I would highly recommend it and if you are from the Sydney region I am more than happy to give you details about my surgeon.

Greetings from Oz.
Hoops
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom