Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

Hi Chris. Isn't it wonderful? I realized afterwards that I was completely pain free in my hip for the first time in my life. Of course, after saying that, I go and get breast cancer... But a nuisance tho that was, all is well, had rads and chemo and will finally get a 'frontal rebuild' in July. Anyhow, I will also be back here in the fall sometime, on the list for a knee! So will be seeing you.
 
Hi Chris @zauberflöte -- Happy Belated Birthday to that hip. I also forgot about mine - have just been getting on with life. Let me know when you have the other one done and I'll come back and take you on some more virtual kayak trips :-)
 
@Vida thanks for encouragement! I am VERY glad you are through your bc treatments-- I'll look for you on the knee side :)
@Kylesh !!!!! I will love to go kayaking with you!! Will tag you in opening of thread. You're sweet :) :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's four years ago today that I had my LTHR done. The joint doesn't hurt any more but the muscles around it are still a bit messed up but it doesn't stop me from doing anything really.

Hope everyone else who has new shiny hips is doing well!
 
Hi Janey! Until I got the email notice, I had forgotten my 4 year anniversary is coming up on the 25th. I continue to be thrilled with my results and also relieved that the other hip hasn't given me any trouble.
Glad you are able to do the things you enjoy. I'm in touch with several of our Class of 2012 friends on Facebook, and all are also doing well.
 
I looked at my calendar when I got the alert about your post and realized today is the 4th anniversary of my BTHR! I remember how petrified I was going into the surgery and compare that to how fabulous my hips are today. I still have some muscle twinges in my right hip occasionally but..... I do anything & everything I want or need to do. Since the hips I also had both knees replaced & I have my mobility & my life back again! I am eternally grateful to BoneSmart & everyone who helped me survive all 3 surgeries.
 
Hello halloo! I have a little story. I got my RTHR in August 2014. In June 2015, I was feeling so great, my husband I did a two day 75-mi bike ride. Not sure if that was the reason, but I started feeling subtle pain in my R hip. Told my surgeon at the 1 year check up, he said I had tendinitis, and to make sure I stretch before exercising. Fast forward, and the pain keeps getting worse, shooting down my front thigh muscle, totally messing with my gait, etc. I broke down in tears a couple times, because it actually felt worse than the arthritis did before my THR. (The left hip, replaced in 2012, has been a perfect angel.) My PCP sent me to PT, she diagnosed LLD, gave me a bunch of exercises, but to no avail. Went back to surgeon, they did x-rays and saw a marked inflammation of the iliopsoas tendon. Just as he thought before, but worse. So -- cortison shot yesterday, and for the first time in years (with the exception of the period between 99% recovery from RTHR and "fatal" bike ride), I have ZERO pain in my right hip and leg. It's all I can do to not want to start running again! (Don't worry, I won't.) I hope and pray that this one shot takes care of it. I am pretty strong and have been an athlete in my past (running, crew, biking, swimming), so I hope that counts for something in the long-range picture. Thanks for listening, all! And BEWARE OF OVERDOING IT too soon after your surgery!
 
Hello to all:

I want to write a message of holiday cheer and thanksgiving to everyone at this forum who supported me through my RTHR in March 2012. ("March Musketeers")

My RTHR was a spiritual act. My life has never been the same and I now live life on a higher level based on the lessons I learned through this hip replacement experience. You can take this seemingly negative health consequence and turn it into beauty.

I emphasize that I had to go it alone with my RTHR. I had no family and few friends for support. But lo and behold I found all the support I needed right here at this forum. I cannot offer you enough blessings and express my gratitude enough, even now 4½ years later.

God bless you all. May we continue to thrive.
"Zorro"
RTHR, March 2016
 
@Zorro .... what a beautiful post to read on this Christmas Day! Thank you so much for taking time to let us know that BoneSmart has helped you in this way. You know, once you're a BoneSmartie, we are ALWAYS your family. So don't hesitate to drop in any time and let us know how you're doing!
 
@Zorro Great to hear from you and thanks for all your positive feedback. I hope you will continue to check in here.
 
Oh, I so agree. How very uplifting. Thank you so much!
 
Hello fellow hippies. I had my THR in 2013. My recovery was not great and have now found out I have a disease called CMT. My hip problems were apparently due to the underlying disease and the condition is now full blown and I will be unable to walk properly ever. Anyway, thought I would drop by and say thank you for your support and advice when I was in recovery
 
I, to, am going through the Recovery alone. The only person I see is my gracious neighbor who has helped me in so many ways. Thank God I found BoneSmart. It's saved my sanity, given me a routine to get through each day and been a dear friend whenever I've felt hopeless - like it'll never be better. Rest, ice, elevate, and take my meds - and repeat and repeat. Thank you to all of you special people.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
2015 hippie and 4 weeks out from 2nd . Doing great. Love all of the support from this site!!!!
 
Happy New Year!
I had LHR in April 2015 and have another success story to report to encourage all those who are considering hip replacement. My surgery was performed by a very competent surgeon in an orthopedic hospital in Wiesbaden, the capital of the German state of Hesse. I had the lateral approach. I was able to stop my pain-killers after 3 weeks.
I'm a runner and did 10 marathons and 3 half-marathons preop. Did another half marathon and a full marathon post op. I'm doing fine and have no pain after all my runs. While surgeons advise against running post-op because the life of the device might be shortened by it, I believe that life is to be enjoyed and run that risk. My device is very robust, ceramic ball, ceramic lining, and made to last. My surgeon told me exercise was absolutely essential for me because I've got osteoporosis. Running is simple and low-cost. My surgeon never said I shouldn't run anyway. I joined in with the traditional 12 1/2 km run (about 8 miles) in my home village on 31 December and got a better result than last year.

Other sports I enjoy include biking and swimming. Lately, I did a crawl swim course for adults to improve my crawl style, which was obviously terrible before my surgery. The course was great fun and on the side, I can always mix with new people during these courses and events.

Good luck and health to everybody!
 
Hello fellow hippies! Checking in and yeah, this April it will be 3 years (yikes!) since I had my THR-R done! Best decision ever, and my parts are doing their thing the way they're supposed to! I was on anti-inflammatory meds for about a year post op due to stiffness, but have since stopped with the prescription meds and now take Curamin (tumeric and curcumin) which has relieved me of all stiffness :) Hope all of my fellow hippies are doing well!!!
 
Hello TO all Bone Smarties. I had my RTHR in March 2012 and I continue to do fabulously well: tennis, yoga, general sports, walking, hiking, mowing the lawn and basically enjoying life. Happy holidays to all and thank you for being my friend during the tenderest, most vulnerable time of my life. God belss you all. With gratitude and love, "Zorro"
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom