Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

I had a thr in August of 2012, flew clear to Arizona to get it done because its so darn expensive in Calif. I have the ceramic one since I was only 59. I went back to work after 5 months which takes lots of standing, sitting, raising up and down out of a chair about every 10 minutes for 10 hours a day to help patients. I can get pretty sore. What I want to know is why does it hurt so badly in my lower back down to my thigh and around to the knee? It goes away but gosh darn it hurts! Today I went looking to buy new property and went up and down three pretty steep flights of stairs looking at the bedrooms in around 3 house..it is just on fire now. Will this stop? Is it just muscle spasms? I know I couldn't walk for an entire year prior to surgery, was fighting worker's comp! I can say it is better than it was but sometimes I wonder if it will always hurt? I know I am going to have to get the other done, but absolutely need to lose the 30 lbs I put on before the surgery! I am grateful for my new hip, but want to take care of it, I forget I had surgery sometimes and just go at it like the old days and pay dearly afterwards! I think I am a bad patient..:loll:
 
My shiny, new right hip had it's five-month anniversary on April 13th. Everything is going great and, other than the scar and the occasional "electricity tingle" at the incision site, I feel normal. My most hated chore, prior to the surgery, was mowing my yard. Something about the riding mower made the old, arthritic hip hurt really bad. Now, I've mowed several times this spring and the pain is gone and it's my most fun chore once again. It just keeps getting better! :)
 
Hi there SmittyD.... how good is that!

Enjoying life without out pain, really doesn't get any better than that. :)

That "electricity tingle" at the incision are the tiny, tiny nerves waking up and healing..
 
Hi everyone! 5 month anniversary today, still can't believe the lack of bone-on-bone pain - the tingle round the incision, underused muscles complaining after exercise and other joints playing up is nowhere near as bad as that! Have been seeing a private PT who specialises in sports injuries, he has been using an electrical interferometer and ultrasound on the shoulder that played up after using elbow crutches, treatment just like professional athletes get on injuries. It feels weird but last week I felt as if something "slipped" in the joint during treatment, not a click, just as if something came loose and there is now more mobility in the joint. Still have to wear a front-fastening bra (TMI for the guys!) but I am getting there! It's either that or get up at 04.30 when my husband is driving the early commuter bus to the City of London so he can help me dress.
Can't really complain, his work is paying for the PT! He is 65 and a retired London Fire Brigade officer, the driving 2 or 3 days a week supplements his pension and pays running costs for our boat (a 40ft motor cruiser). I am looking forward to being more mobile on "Tudor Rose" this summer!
Regards to all
Anne
 
Nannyannie, how lovely to hear from you :)

Sorry you are still working through a few frustrating issues, hopefully not for too much longer.

Love the idea of your 40ft motor cruiser... You have to tell us more.. Plans, where to first this summer? How exciting for you...
 
Hi all,
Well my first review THR was done on 4th December 2012, my 2nd review THR was on 4th March after dislocations. I am up to 8 weeks PO now and everything fine. I am still very cautious and nervous which is not a bad thing as it keeps me very aware that something can go wrong oh so quickly. At the moment though all is well.
best wishes to all
Susan
 
Hello All! Poppet, thanks for setting up this thread.

I am slightly over 6 months post op, and have been doing very well. I walk and ride a stationary bike easily. About six weeks ago I could finally easily put socks on and touch my toes. I still have slight aches along the glute area, and when I bend over to pick up things from the floor, I have pinching up high in the inner thigh. It almost feels like something is catching. I wonder if this is common? I did have a problem during a recent cruise. Walking on a moving ship made all those muscles supporting the hip work harder. It took a few days and a massage to get that settled down again!

I also gained about 15 lbs before and after surgery. It was a combination of being sedentary and feeling sorry for myself [nothing like a bag of Cheetos to cheer a person up - not!] Anyway, I decided to get rid of my extra 60lbs and give my poor joints a break. I'm down almost 30 now. :) Feel like I might be regaining some of my youth!

Sending my best wishes to everyone,
Gail
 
[Bonesmart.org] Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies
30 pounds!!!! That is absolutely super!!!! Nice update, Gail.
 
Why hello Susan suhay1, I wondered how you were doing, sorry to hear you have had a dislocation, but very pleased to read you are on the improve. How did the dislocation happen?
 
Hi there tryingtosmile... What a fantastic achievement, losing all that weight, I can well imagine you feel younger. How was the cruise, apart from working hard to get your sea legs?
 
Hello Poppet et all,
Have been wanting to drop by for a long time with HUGS and gratitude for Josephine, you and all the wonderful people on this forum. For me, this community support was a big link to my hip journey and recovery.

On post-op 8 months plus, my life is completely changed. Although I am still aware of limitations, I am teaching yoga again regularly, biking and working long hours easily. However, it is the small things in which I am most delighted- a good night's sleep and putting on my knickers without sobbing in pain. I love my body, I love my surgeon.

I am also aware of the tingle of pain in my uoperated hip. My doctor is guessing I have another 5 years before its replacement. Believe me, I won't wait as long and I will certainly be back on this forum!

The 1st yoga sutra for the Aquarian Age is "Recognize that the other person is you." (Yogi Bhajan) Yes, we are indeed and I am sending love and healing to all of you at the start of your journey & to all of you who are having a longer and rougher journey. Keep up the hope and persistance. Be kind to yourself.

Much love,
Elle

Hi there. I am 5 weeks post-op. I see that you do yoga - and I am interested in starting this activity. What limitations/modifications are needed for someone with a hip replacement - is there any information on the web?

Thanks, Tracey

Elle11
 
Hello,my name is Luca and i write from Milano,italy.I'd like to tell you my story.In february,due to bilateral AVN,I had a surgery of hip replacement on left side and a surgery of core decompression on right hip.Well,now after 2 month and half after surgery,left with hip replacement goes well eccept muscle pains,while right hip with core decompression doesn't work well yet.The leg yields when i walk and i have some pain not sitting.I remember i had not pain before surgery.My question is:how long does it takes in rehab after CD surgery.

Tanks to everybody.​
 
Hi all - a little over 9 months since my LTHR in 2012 and everything is just fine. A bit of muscle pain now and again - usually after a long walk and especially if there are steep bits. Other than that I have pretty much forgotten I had it done!

Over eighteen months ago my "back" pain was so bad I limped off the golf course halfway round, really not knowing when I would ever be able to play again. It took a further 7 months to get a diagnosis of hip arthritis (beware expensive consultants and physios paid for by company healthcare schemes) and I eventually had my surgery last July.

I made my first tentative steps back to the golf course last October but -how out this - I won the monthly medal competition this weekend and have knocked a stroke off my handicap!

Back in June - a few weeks prior to my op - I went on a "walking" holiday to Scotland (West Highland Way) with my wife and a few friends. At this time I could only hobble a few yards with the aid of a stick so I was only there to drive the minibus and look at the views. We are all going back in a couple of weeks to to walk the Great Glen Way and will certainly be joining for a few of the sections this time - might even have ago at Ben Nevis if I am feeling brave (or foolhardy ...)

Hang in there all of you who have had your ops more recently - it really is life changing stuff this hip surgery.
 
Thank you for your update - gives me hope for the future. I am actually doing very well for the 6 week mark. My other hip is really sore now that I have become more active - and when I mentioned it to my doc - he said they would recommend waiting. I feel no pain except some muscle soreness from the weakness associated with years of inactivity followed by my lateral incision. I am confident that my new hip will be fantastic - but I am not willing to wait for years for the right hip to be in pain after going through this surgery. I have bone cysts and the femoral head is mushroom shaped. I managed a 5-k walk the other day - with no issues for my new hip and a day of pain following on what is supposed to be my good side. I agree with you that this surgery is life changing - and I can't wait for the future when I barely remember the past 6 weeks.
 
Yes, don't you let them make you wait too long. Print off this form, make two or three copies, and fill on in every three or four months to keep a record of how that other hip is effecting you.
 

Attachments

Update: rowed Saturday in my first crew race since 6/15 THR. Didn't get a medal (missed bronze by a few seconds), but the experience was fantastic. I still have some pounds to drop and strength to build, but being back in the game feels great. I was hoping to take a medal to my surgeon for my 1-year follow-up next week, but I know he'll be pleased anyway! Weirdly enough, it was not my hip that hurt after, but my quads in the surgery leg. Onwards!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies
debkakes! You're just more living proof that life after hip replacement is the bomb!!!! Good for you for taking the bull by the horns and doing your thing!!! So happy and pleased for you.
 
I'm 8 months out from having both hips replaced - and I couldn't be happier. My left hip doesn't know it's been replaced while the right one still gives me a bit of a reminder - I went thru a period of mid thigh pain when I tried to ramp up my exercise so I've backed off a bit, plus for some unknown reason my right thigh will cramp but then be normal in about 15 minutes. Compared to preop this is nothing & I refuse to worry. It is amazing being able to get out of chair and just walk without thinking! ROM is normal in both hips, I can do just about anything I want with the exception of carrying something heavy in my right hand - so I don't! That's one thing that causes my thigh to cramp - climbing a ladder is another. Still a bit stiff if I drive for a long time but is that my hips or my age? I gained 18 pounds post op - ice cream - and have lost about 7 - it's hard without the exercise. I also retired - best move I ever made!!!! I'm afraid I will be going over to the TKR forum before too long as my left knee is really a bother. And for some reason I am more petrified of a knee replacement than I was of having my hips done. Thank God for this forum & everyone on it - you all kept me going when I was at my lowest. Thank you!!
 
I have the sensation that my right hip bulges out, expecially when I exercise - is this normal due to weak muscles? My hip also clunks when doing some of my exercises. Wondering if any other people have experienced this? It doesn't hurt - but it is definitely strange. Any advice?
 
Hi again happy Hipsters. I had my left hip "done" may 2012 and have just had the right one operated on, May 15th 2013. All seems well again but OH BOY! will it be great to be able to sleep on my side again. At the moment I have a few "grounching" feelings in my new right hip, but having read the notes on this forum about various post-op sounds, I am happy to continue and see what transpires for a few months as there is no pain. I'm just doing gentle excercises. Having ha dthe experience of LTHR I knew all about the constipation problems when taking Tramadol, so beat it this time by taking two Senacot laxatives with every two Tramadol. Otherwise no other medication required. The post-op swelling didn't worry me as it did when I had the LTHR and this time I had no "anxiety" attacks. Last year for some reason I had a bout of weeping for no reason....not any more.
Nice to be back on this friendly and very helpful forum.
LTHR May 2012
RTHR May 2013.
 
Back
Top Bottom