Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

I have neglected to check in for several months and I guess that means life has returned to normal. Cannot help but brag that one year after my THR I went skiing (with the blessing of my Orthopedic Surgeon). It would be misleading to say it felt like I was 20 years old again, but I was able to cruise and enjoy the experience. Thought I would check in and it appears that some of the familiar names that were so supportive pre and post operation are still here. Thanks again everyone!
 
Rusty dmw great to hear from.. it is wonderful when life takes over... well done on the skiing, so pleased you are enjoying life again.
 
Hi Poppet

Sorry I haven't noticed this sooner, I have returned to normality after my second op and looking forward to a much needed break. Doing all the normal things decorating.gardening and taking the dog out for walks. The support I received from the top brass and all the people who went through the operation about the same time as I did was terrific.
I reelly do wish you all the success with this venture Poppet

Billy
 
forbesy

Hi there Billy.. Great to hear from you buddie.. So pleased that life is good and sounds like it is back to normal - pop on by occasionally :)
 
Hello,

I was a 2011 hippy and things are great with my hip. I can walk as much as I want now and keep up with my two little boys. It's really been a life changer getting my hip replaced and I'm so glad I did not wait too long to get this done. No regrets at all!

Peter
 
cstreet hi there Peter, great to hear from you and fantastic that life is good. I remember you posting about wanting to play with your boys, so pleased for you.. Drop by occasionally when you feel like it, we love our success stories coming back with an update.
 
Well, I promised that I would start a thread for the 2012 hippies... This time, I wont attempt to add names, Who wants to go first? :)
 
Had my right THR on November 13, 2012 and am finally getting back to normal (or better). I walked around the zoo for over an hour yesterday and felt fine. It feels so good to be normal! Pain is boring and while mine isn't completely gone it's much better. I don't have to think about whether it's worth it to walk across the room to get something. Thanks to everyone on here for their support.
 
Hey Poppet. Good on you for starting this early in the year. It will be nice to have a central point to check in throughout the year with all of our surgery buddies.

My RTHR was on 12 November 2012.
 
Well I am back as I got my matching hip in July 2012, Mr Porter done the right in 2011 and Mr Manzik done my left in 2012 god bless hip surgeons. :thumb: Oh and eye surgeons as well.
 
Hello Poppet et all,
Have been wanting to drop by for a long time with HUGS and gratitude for Josephine, you and all the wonderful people on this forum. For me, this community support was a big link to my hip journey and recovery.

On post-op 8 months plus, my life is completely changed. Although I am still aware of limitations, I am teaching yoga again regularly, biking and working long hours easily. However, it is the small things in which I am most delighted- a good night's sleep and putting on my knickers without sobbing in pain. I love my body, I love my surgeon.

I am also aware of the tingle of pain in my uoperated hip. My doctor is guessing I have another 5 years before its replacement. Believe me, I won't wait as long and I will certainly be back on this forum!

The 1st yoga sutra for the Aquarian Age is "Recognize that the other person is you." (Yogi Bhajan) Yes, we are indeed and I am sending love and healing to all of you at the start of your journey & to all of you who are having a longer and rougher journey. Keep up the hope and persistance. Be kind to yourself.

Much love,
Elle
 
Well let me see, 2012 Yes that is the year of the knee. So I can't be here. :shrug: If only I had my other hip done. Oh well there is always next year. :loll: I hope everyone is ok and happy that they had it done. Tashia
 
Right THR 10.10.2012
Congenital abnormalities from birth - hung in there till 44!
No neck on my femurs. Struggling with PEs post surgery and some nerve damage, but LOVING my pain free joint!
 
How fantastic to hear from you all.. Great that you dropped in :)
 
Great to see a drop in spot. Thanks Poppet. I had my RTHR on Dec. 10. Recovery has been a struggle. I am still on a cane and have some muscle issues. They lengthened my leg a good bit and I have been having issues with the hip flexor muscle. I actually tore it. No fun at all. The joint pain is so much better than before, but I am still very limited on what I can do. I am taking it easy, icing and resting. Hopefully another 30 days and I will be able to go at it. Can't wait to go on a bike ride!!
 
I had my revision on 12th September 2013. Am hoping for it to settle in soon so I can get rid of the pain and stop the meds :kittykiss:
 
Hi Hippies of 2012! I recently wrote an update on my recovery thread, but I'll reiterate that I'm SO happy to have my shiny new metal hip. Yes, I still have pain some days. Yes, breaking 90-degrees hurts still. But that pain? It's still soft tissue healing and muscles getting stronger, not that deep arthritic pain of yore! I am back to rowing crew, and hope to be in racing trim by fall (if not the end of the sprint season in June). Been biking and swimming, too, which I'll be doing more once I retire in a couple of months. I know I'll continue to get stronger and soon will not even think about the hip at all. I did forget one day a few months ago at the airport. We couldn't figure out why the detector was going off; the guys said "It looks like something around your waist." DUH!!! Anyway, I'll get new x-rays in June at my one-year and we'll decide the time frame for my right hip, which has actually been feeling A LOT better since I got the left one done. This site was an essential part of my recovery, and I'll be back again, I know. :yay:
 
Hello fellow 2012ers!

I'm almost at 6 months now - still doing well in terms of what I can do (walk, cycle, swim, gym, gardening, yoga, pilates) but still struggling with a bit of pain which I hope is just muscles getting back to normal. I have my six month appointment with the consultant in 2 weeks so hopefully I will get some reassurance.

Jane
 
Well long time no see everyone.
I've not been aboard lately but for all the best reasons. I just thought I stop by and offer some encouragement to others when I found this great thread, with so many success stories!

No one could be happier with their new hips than me. They have literally given me new life.

I lost about 20kg in preparation for my Bilateral Op and the new mobility has enabled me to shift a further 40 kgs since. That's over 130lbs for the imperials.
New regime, new wardrobe, new girl, new life!

I hit my weight target in December and have been holding steady despite xmas, so need a new challenge and have started training for the London Ride 100. That's a charity cycle ride of 100 miles in 9 hours on the Olympic road race course. I'll do it too!
You don't have to do that, but please do believe what a change can come with new hips.

Best wishes
Steve
 
Hi everyone,

Anterior LTHR, 5 months ago, Oct 5, 2012. I've had a great recovery. 90 minutes of gym every two days or so now, golf course opens on monday, woohoo! No pain -- only occasional tightness in the muscles, but that is fading. And my right hip is pain free, it was starting to have an occasional ache before surgery from putting so much stress on it.

Mark
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom